[0.11.13] RoadWorks 2.0.0

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.10.3] RoadWorks 1.06 + Soundless version

Post by Airat9000 »

Rahjital wrote:The warning message is there because it can be very confusing when the road stops being placed, and unfortunately, placing less than 4 tiles is not an option with the terrain system Factorio uses. I'll look at it once I migrate the mod to the entity system, but first I need to get bridges done.

As for limestone, it will be used more once bridges are in, but I think you are right that there's still too many. I'll probably mostly make the deposits smaller, though, you need stone to be present near limestone anyway and I'm not sure if roads can justify building/expanding a train network to transport the resources.
I noticed that the stone I run faster than limestone coating

here's another possibility was to convert the excess limestone rock or where something useful, but it is not what to do, then it would be great ..
just when you're playing with more settings resources. Or connect with another mod suppose to use it in the creation of the walls ... walls super handy.
optionally
limestone + Stone + concrete (from oil or oil + limestone) ==> super wall 2500 x

everything else was fine.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

This mod is causing my character to get stuck on a lot of things, like walls, electric poles, machines, etc. I think it mostly happens when running diagonally. In the image below, I'm trying to run towards the top right and it's stuck running in place.
roadworks-stuck.png
roadworks-stuck.png (356.24 KiB) Viewed 8244 times

Jarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jarin »

Rahjital wrote:To anybody who gets a sound-related crash using the normal version, could you please tell me what OS do you use and if other mods adding new sounds cause crashes as well? Any help is sincerely appreciated and may push me closer to fixing the issue once and for all.
Audio clip sample
"C:/<path>\Factorio_0.9.8.9400\mods\roadworks|sound/walking/road-
01.ogg" not loaded!

Looks like some backslash/slash confusion?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Jarin wrote:
Rahjital wrote:To anybody who gets a sound-related crash using the normal version, could you please tell me what OS do you use and if other mods adding new sounds cause crashes as well? Any help is sincerely appreciated and may push me closer to fixing the issue once and for all.
Audio clip sample
"C:/<path>\Factorio_0.9.8.9400\mods\roadworks|sound/walking/road-
01.ogg" not loaded!

Looks like some backslash/slash confusion?
Update to the latest version of Factorio: 0.10.8 and then see if it works for you. That error looks like you're running 0.9.8 still.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Jarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jarin »

Yeah, that was the problem. Realized a bit later that I had to click on "experimental release" on the download page to see the latest versions.

zlosynus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by zlosynus »

I am enjoying building massive roadwork around my base, a lot of fun. Just a physics remark: reducing friction does not make stuff going faster, it is actually the opposite way. Say you have a rotating wheel on a road. Then without any friction the wheel would be just rotating at the place, without any movement. But because you have friction, the bottom part of the wheel attached to the road interacts with the road, there is a counterforce to rotating force and wheel moves forward. So asphalt roads and gears are actually constructed to have very high friction :). Plus making roads makes the terrain much more straight, so it makes sense that moving is faster.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

That automatic road layer would be really nice if you made it. :)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Two issues.
Occasionally, placing a road section removes existing road terrain around it, generally biased downwards.
Transport belts don't move players if there is also road under neither it.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Forecaster
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Forecaster »

The above happens to me quite a bit, especially when placing different surfaces next to each-other.

I also noticed that sometimes when placing surfaces near water it might replace some of it with land near the surface.

I love the mod, but it's extremely difficult to place the surfaces most of the time.

It'd also be great if there was a way of removing surfaces as well.

(Tested the transport belt thing and that is also true, although I can see that as being useful)

Bonsai
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bonsai »

I am getting stuck in machines/insertes if a cobblestone path is underneath it.
Something is wrong with the collisionboxes i think

Bonsai
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bonsai »

Turtle wrote:This mod is causing my character to get stuck on a lot of things, like walls, electric poles, machines, etc. I think it mostly happens when running diagonally. In the image below, I'm trying to run towards the top right and it's stuck running in place.
roadworks-stuck.png
I have the same issue.
I am getting stuck in machines/insertes if a cobblestone path/concrete is underneath it.
Something is wrong with the collisionboxes i think.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Please make this for multiplayer. :D

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Once the game is stable enough (currently I can't even run it) I will start working on an entirely new version of RoadWorks. The rewrite will use a different placing system to reduce the number of bugs and make roads removable, and it will be MP tested right from the start.

Sadly, there will be no bridges unless somebody volunteers to make graphics for them. I tried my best, but I'm not nearly good enough at 3D graphics to make them.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Does this fit? It's not 3D render, it is pixel art.
If it is good enough I can add the vertical pieces and the remains.
Feedback is appreciated.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

That looks wonderful, hitzu! I wonder what it would look like in game, but it seems to have exactly that kind of improvised and gritty feeling that the vanilla buildings in Factorio have. What is the perspective like? Does it match the perspective of other buildings?

Note that the walkable area of the bridge has to be exactly 64x64 pixels. Also, if you want any railings or othe details that appear in front of the player, they have to be a separate sprite. Other than that, there are no real requirements for the graphics.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Bad news. I already made all parts to fit 64x64 including supports and shadows, thats because of perspective. I measured gaps between horizontal and vertical rails and the coefficient of the size reduction is about 0.74. So if we want 64 px wide vertical bridge we have to make horizontal one to be 47 px wide. Another way is to enlarge both and make vertical piece wider — 87 px. In this case I have to redraw them.
As for railings, I don't quite sure about them. I don't want tall metal handrails or thick stone walls. What you think about small black-yellow striped bumpers?

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

The requirement for the walkable area to be 64x64 is given by the game itself and I cannot do anything about it, sadly. The sprite itself can be any size, so making it 64x87 would work just fine.

The bumpers sound more fitting with the current theme of the bridge. Would be nice to see them there.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

They will be soon when I fix my Photoshop :)

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Take your time! Re-implementing the bridge logic for multiplayer (and without some of the bugs) will take some time anyway.

ShneekeyTheLost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

As an idea for keeping cars on the road:

Curbs.

Instead of causing collision, when a car gets too close to a curb, it pushes the car back one square and allows it to continue with its momentum. Give it a one square radius to operate in, and you have a fairly good way to keep youself on the road. It costs one concrete per curb. Curbs are placed similarly to walls, only they go on the sides of the roads. They do not impede movement for anything other than cars, and they simply push the cars toward the middle of the road. This gives you a reason to consume both concrete and asphalt when constructing vehicle roads and gives you a way to keep on target.

Another idea is to have a 'noise strip' road. This is an idea that has been implemented in certain parts of the US for a few years now. Basically, it goes on the shoulder and has lots of little grooves, making a very loud noise when you drive over it, letting you know you're drifting off the road. You might also have a visual cue of the screen shaking as you drive over it to let people know they're getting too close to the road edge. It takes one road block to make one noise strip road block, but might require its own research to create.

These might increase the size of a road needed to drive a car, but would probably make it safer to drive down.

Can't wait to see what you do with bridges, it sounds amazing if it can be done.

Return to “Mods”