[1.0] Sea Block Pack 0.4.10

Topics and discussion about specific mods
DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.15] Sea Block Pack 0.1.7

Post by DerGraue »

FreibierFred wrote: Hello there
3) I started the game on marathon and honestly it seems a bit boring at the start. steel is very expensive and ressources are very limited. if I would not x10 the gamespeed permanently I would still sit there without a real base^^
Maybe balance this a bit?
I did the same and I also increased the research cost even further. That makes the early game way too slow. So I altered the starting items and started the game with a few more crystalizer and filtration units. That way I was either limited by power or by ressources for crystalizer but I did not have to wait for literally hours to finish my research for steel and circuits because you need that tech to build new crystalizer and filtration units.

I would recommend in general for balancing reasons to start with a few more crystalizer and filtration units. For a normal game it won't make much of a difference since you are normally limited by power at the very early game. And for expensive mode it gives you different ways to progress in your game, you don't have to wait for hours to get the research done so that you can progress.

hewhoispale
Inserter
Inserter

Post by hewhoispale »

BobsGuns wrote:Are blueprints and deconstruction planner recipes disabled for balance reasons or are they disabled because they were causing some kind of bug? Does anyone know how to re enable those recipes? I want to rebuild my base on my seablock world, but trying to take apart all the spaghetti is daunting to say the least.
Isn't actually crafting the blueprints an older version thing? I'm away from everything right now, but doesn't one just open the blueprint library and drag copies of blank planners to one's inventory from there?

Zephyrinius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zephyrinius »

This looks like a lot of fun -- is it playable in 0.16 yet? I see the patched mods on the previous page, but also a message that says it's impossible to get zinc ore...

Trainwreck
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trainwreck »

0.16 beta test time. SeaBlockPack_0.2.0.zip Outdated, check thread for newer version.
This is still quite rough. There is no 0.16 version of ScienceCostTweaker yet (I know there's an unofficial port over in the S.C.T thread, but I only want to include mods with an official portal release in the pack). Also, Angel's bioprocessing has [ALPHA UPDATE] stamped all over it so not sure how stable that is. So the usual beta disclaimers apply, don't be surprised if you need to rebuild your base in later releases.

But there are a few major changes that I thought could do with some early testing.
  • The starting equipment is a lot more basic. You'll have to work your way up through red science to unlock mineral sludge.
  • When starting a new game there are now four scripted starting technologies that must be researched to unlock the lab. This is a tutorial to ensure player knows how to produce basic items.
  • Remove coal, rename coke to charcoal.
The removal of coal means an alternative to coal cracking for oil production is necessary, so a recipe to produce multi phase oil from blue algae has been added. Angels bioprocessing also includes some plant based oil/hydrocarbon production, so I might add requirements for this too. But for now the algae liquefaction recipe should be enough.

Also, make sure you double check which type of landfill you're placing. You can cycle different variations by rotating the landfill brush, and it's easy to waste landfill by overwriting existing land with a different type.
Last edited by Trainwreck on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

mirhagk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mirhagk »

I hate to be that guy, but the license for KS_Power needs to be confirmed. If it's GPLv3 then the pack may violate it's license. Sea Block Pack links it statically so it's a derivative work. But Sea Block Pack can't be licensed under GPLv3 because Bob's does not allow modification and GPL must give up modification rights.

I'm sure the license can be figured out as I assume the KS_Power does not intentionally mean to cause this conflict. I'm no lawyer, so I don't know what happens when conflicting licenses (mod portal vs .zip file) are included but it's probably a good idea to sort it out before any actual problems are created.

Trainwreck
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trainwreck »

mirhagk wrote:I hate to be that guy, but the license for KS_Power needs to be confirmed. If it's GPLv3 then the pack may violate it's license. Sea Block Pack links it statically so it's a derivative work. But Sea Block Pack can't be licensed under GPLv3 because Bob's does not allow modification and GPL must give up modification rights.

I'm sure the license can be figured out as I assume the KS_Power does not intentionally mean to cause this conflict. I'm no lawyer, so I don't know what happens when conflicting licenses (mod portal vs .zip file) are included but it's probably a good idea to sort it out before any actual problems are created.
GPLv3 section 4. "Conveying Verbatim Copies" allows free distribution of unmodified copies, which is what I'm doing. There is no single license for the entire pack, the licenses for the individual mods are listed above and all of them allow unmodified redistribution.
I can't find any mention of static linking anywhere in gplv3. The only clauses I see which require the GPL-virus style relicensing are 5(Modified source versions) and 6(Non-source forms), neither of which apply in this case because I'm redistributing the source .lua zips.

I would be nice to know which license KS_Power uses, but both options allow unmodified redistribution so I'm not really that concerned.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Thanks for the first version in 0.16.

I tried it a bit and just want to give some feedback.
It looks really nice so far.
- I like the rocky chest :)
- The tutorial style of the first researches is kinda cool in one way, but on the other hand it reduces the puzzle-like experience at the beginning. But it may help to get people into it, who didn't play angels or seablock before.
- The recipe to get ore from just mineralized water seems a bit dull compared to the old version, but maybe its necessary because of missing tech and machines.
- The landfill rotation behaviour is really dangerous, because it seems to change randomly. Could it be possible to get the existing ground back, if you place a different type?
- The starter iron and basic circuits vs amount of landfill seems a bit odd. You could scale rather fast regarding machines, but then you would need a lot more of space and power.
- The unlimited recipe for cellulose fiber seems a bit weird. It may mislead to just handcraft it in abundance, while nothing else is needed.

Theaisa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Theaisa »

Hey, thanks a lot for the beta -- been waiting for this :D

Minor text issue so far, is this supposed to happen?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Trainwreck wrote:
mirhagk wrote:I hate to be that guy, but the license for KS_Power needs to be confirmed. If it's GPLv3 then the pack may violate it's license. Sea Block Pack links it statically so it's a derivative work. But Sea Block Pack can't be licensed under GPLv3 because Bob's does not allow modification and GPL must give up modification rights.

GPLv3 section 4. "Conveying Verbatim Copies" allows free distribution of unmodified copies, which is what I'm doing. There is no single license for the entire pack, the licenses for the individual mods are listed above and all of them allow unmodified redistribution.
I can't find any mention of static linking anywhere in gplv3. The only clauses I see which require the GPL-virus style relicensing are 5(Modified source versions) and 6(Non-source forms), neither of which apply in this case because I'm redistributing the source .lua zips.

I would be nice to know which license KS_Power uses, but both options allow unmodified redistribution so I'm not really that concerned.
I'm not sure why anyone would think that SeaBlock is statically linking KS_power?

Also whilst wiki.factorio.com says KS_power is under GNU GPLv3 , but the actual license file in the mod itself is "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International Public License". I'm not a lawyer, but since you normally include the licence with any work, I would expect the included licence file to be the one which applies. I did check the .lua files and one of the ones I looked had any licence or copyright statements.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Theaisa wrote:Hey, thanks a lot for the beta -- been waiting for this :D
Minor text issue so far, is this supposed to happen?
I think, this is the alpha state of angels bio processing, where localized strings are missing for some new things. Nothing severe.

Theaisa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Theaisa »

By the way, were Nodules removed ? Or is that unintended?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Angels mods for 0.16 have big changes:
Nodules were removed and you can instead create geodes.
For seablock it will get really hard, because nodules were great for mineral sludge.
Instead, I think you can use slag or maybe geodes. Dont know, which is better for long term. Geodes are surely harder to setup. But sooner or later it will be needed to get rid of the geodes from floatation.

wzzl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wzzl »

jodokus31 wrote:Angels mods for 0.16 have big changes:
Nodules were removed and you can instead create geodes.
For seablock it will get really hard, because nodules were great for mineral sludge.

That's a real pity. I thought the nodules gave a nice added complexity to the modpack, especially since it adds progression to the core mechanic of the modpack: getting ore out of water. I guess it does give a little better incentive to do something with the geodes from floatation.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

I think there should be a different way to get slag out of water. I mean, an electrolyzer is there to separate oxygen and hydrogen. If you just want to get slag pumping water through a filter should just be enough.

Maybe add a recipe for washing plants to get slag that way, similar how it was with nodules.

I think the slag is always a waste product in angels mods, seablock is just using that to function without ores.

knightofrust
Inserter
Inserter

Post by knightofrust »

DerGraue wrote:I think there should be a different way to get slag out of water. I mean, an electrolyzer is there to separate oxygen and hydrogen. If you just want to get slag pumping water through a filter should just be enough.

Maybe add a recipe for washing plants to get slag that way, similar how it was with nodules.

I think the slag is always a waste product in angels mods, seablock is just using that to function without ores.
Maybe do a recipe for slag filtering out of viscous mud water in water treatment plant? Viscous mud water + water (some times more than normal) -> some slag + concentrated mud water + mud (less than normal). And make it longer time.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

You get more than enough out of the geodes now, also from washing.

Theaisa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Theaisa »

Wahhhh! Steel is 8 iron now? :shock:

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Theaisa wrote:Wahhhh! Steel is 8 iron now? :shock:

COOL! Anyways i'm still on 0.15 seablock and waiting for first patch to start 0.16 because first balance run fixes obvious exploits that i'd find and abuse without realizing it.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

I appreciate it, because it encourages to go for angels steel smelting :)

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

DerGraue wrote:I think there should be a different way to get slag out of water. I mean, an electrolyzer is there to separate oxygen and hydrogen. If you just want to get slag pumping water through a filter should just be enough.

Arch666Angel wrote:You get more than enough out of the geodes now, also from washing.
That's true and for a normal Angel's playthrough it wouldn't make any sense, but specifically for seablock I still think it would.
It also would fit in nicely in the research progression of seablock, especially for the early game. It should be unlocked in the first washing plant tech, which requires only red science and can be build earlier now. After unlocking that you do not yet have geodes or the geode processing, which come quite some time later. So now the player can build a few washing plants (which are not useful at this tech level) and get some slag for less energy costs. Also the tech with washing plants is required at this time to get to slag processing which is kinda mandatory for progressing.
So the slag generation in washing plants should be energy wise a bit cheaper than getting it from electrolyzers but more expensive than making stuff from geodes later on.

I think that would be perfect.

Return to “Mods”