[1.0] Sea Block Pack 0.4.10

Topics and discussion about specific mods
minno
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.16] Sea Block Pack 0.2.11

Post by minno »

Pollution doesn't actually have any effect in seablock, since there are no biter spawners. I recommend turning it off for performance improvements.

AimMoreBetter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AimMoreBetter »

Does anyone have a blueprint for producing iron/copper using mineral catalysts? I can't seem to get my ratios right and I always run out of sulfuric acid as well.

live22morrow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by live22morrow »

AimMoreBetter wrote:Does anyone have a blueprint for producing iron/copper using mineral catalysts? I can't seem to get my ratios right and I always run out of sulfuric acid as well.
The mineral catalyst sorting doesn't require additional acid and only uses level 1 ores, so you should be getting a surplus if you're using charcoal filtering to get your sludge.

minno
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by minno »

AimMoreBetter wrote:Does anyone have a blueprint for producing iron/copper using mineral catalysts? I can't seem to get my ratios right and I always run out of sulfuric acid as well.
As always, I'll plug Helmod (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/helmod) here. It's a mod that lets you plan out production blocks much more easily, especially with getting production ratios right. It can also work with production lines that include cycles (like the sulfur in slag slurry filtering) and tell you whether the loop produces extra or consumes more than it makes.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I felt like it was about time my hydrogen did something useful, so designed this:
hydrogen to solid fuel.jpg
hydrogen to solid fuel.jpg (434.36 KiB) Viewed 7062 times
Consumes waste hydrogen to on average upgrade 1 charcoal (5MJ) into 0.85 solid fuel (21.2MJ)

Note: In my real factory it's not going to make Solid Fuel. Instead, it's undergoing catalytic methanation, the methane goes to making diesel fuel for my 400MW of diesel generators and the other gases to making rubber.

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

minno wrote:
As always, I'll plug Helmod (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/helmod) here. It's a mod that lets you plan out production blocks much more easily, especially with getting production ratios right. It can also work with production lines that include cycles (like the sulfur in slag slurry filtering) and tell you whether the loop produces extra or consumes more than it makes.
This mod is difficult to use :/ if you could post one exemple how you create a loop/ligne you'll be the best :geek:
Just a big fan of Factorio and all its mods

AimMoreBetter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AimMoreBetter »

live22morrow wrote:
The mineral catalyst sorting doesn't require additional acid and only uses level 1 ores, so you should be getting a surplus if you're using charcoal filtering to get your sludge.
Yeah I switched to cermaic filters and didn't notice the huge drop in sulfuric waste water production. Do you use ceramic or have you figured out an easy way to supplement the loss of SWW to supplement a mineral catalyst line?

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

For my now mid-game SeaBlock I designed a "water in one end, mineral sludge out the other end" blueprint, based around a red belt of slag:
seablock-water-to-mineral-sludge.jpg
seablock-water-to-mineral-sludge.jpg (434.13 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
blueprint string

Requires a shoreline for water at one end and an input of charcoal at the other end. To initiate operations requires a manual insertion of some sulfur and around 120 filter frames. Other than the charcoal and power input it is self-contained, simply outputting Mineral sludgwdwawe. Oxygen, hydrogen, mineralized water, saline water and excess sulfuric wastewater are all disposed of by default, generally via overflow valves should it be desirable to recover it (the mineralized water purifier is easily replaced with a crystallizer to turn it into a trifling amount of ore).

StarTotino
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by StarTotino »

I don't know well else to post this.
All of the mods are up to date and I don't use any mods not in the modpack.

I want to post this quickly.

I need fermentation base to get compost. I need corn or fruits to get fermentation base. To get corn or fruits, I need to research one of three researches which all require optimized biome planner. to make optimized biome planners, I need ground samples. to get ground samples, I need seedling nests. to get seedling nests, I need compost.

I need compost to make compost.
or in other words, I need corn to make corn.
or in other words, it seems 1000% impossible to make any of the bio/farm stuff

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

StarTotino wrote:I don't know well else to post this.

I need fermentation base to get compost. I need corn or fruits to get fermentation base. To get corn or fruits, I need to research one of three researches which all require optimized biome planner. to make optimized biome planners, I need ground samples. to get ground samples, I need seedling nests. to get seedling nests, I need compost.

you can make compost from any bio stuff, including green algae, which you definetly must produce in large quantities

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

BlakeMW wrote:For my now mid-game SeaBlock I designed a "water in one end, mineral sludge out the other end" blueprint, based around a red belt of slag:
seablock-water-to-mineral-sludge.jpg
blueprint string

Requires a shoreline for water at one end and an input of charcoal at the other end. To initiate operations requires a manual insertion of some sulfur and around 120 filter frames. Other than the charcoal and power input it is self-contained, simply outputting Mineral sludgwdwawe. Oxygen, hydrogen, mineralized water, saline water and excess sulfuric wastewater are all disposed of by default, generally via overflow valves should it be desirable to recover it (the mineralized water purifier is easily replaced with a crystallizer to turn it into a trifling amount of ore).
I have a green algae farm connected to the mineralized water that produces the needed charcoal.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

mexmer wrote:

you can make compost from any bio stuff, including green algae, which you definetly must produce in large quantities
I needed compost for arboreta. They also need mud. For the mud I have a chain of 5 water plants going all the way from a sea floor pump to saline water. The saline water is then used to grow brown algae and then turned into compost. Excess saline water is clarified and excess mud, of which there is a lot, is converted to landfill.

Anyway, my tip was to look for places where you throw away saline water, make brown algae from it and then compost.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

mrvn wrote:
mexmer wrote:

I needed compost for arboreta. They also need mud. For the mud I have a chain of 5 water plants going all the way from a sea floor pump to saline water. The saline water is then used to grow brown algae and then turned into compost. Excess saline water is clarified and excess mud, of which there is a lot, is converted to landfill.

Anyway, my tip was to look for places where you throw away saline water, make brown algae from it and then compost.
tbh. i didn't think about most efficient way, i just picked first item in bio panel and put it in composter.

biopack is not angels stuff, it's Science Cost Tweaker item, when i was making that, i did want to utilize products of angels bios processing, that's why biopack additionally to token requires mud, compost, paper and wood board, which all can be obtained from bio processing chains. it might seem to be overkill for now, but afaik angel has plans for more utilization of token ... so i hope it will find it's place. there is also possibility (just speculation on my part), that token is actually only placeholder for some science pack.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

mrvn wrote: I have a green algae farm connected to the mineralized water that produces the needed charcoal.
I haven't decided between integrated charcoal production or plugging into the arboretum charcoal. Since I moved away from charcoal based power generation my arboretums are extremely underutilized and could provide charcoal to dozens (or hundreds, if I utilized all the trees I've found) of these setups.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

BlakeMW wrote:
mrvn wrote: I have a green algae farm connected to the mineralized water that produces the needed charcoal.
I haven't decided between integrated charcoal production or plugging into the arboretum charcoal. Since I moved away from charcoal based power generation my arboretums are extremely underutilized and could provide charcoal to dozens (or hundreds, if I utilized all the trees I've found) of these setups.
Charcoal from arboretums? Don't you mean wood? Or is there sufficient advantage to go wood -> cellulose fiber -> wood pellets -> wood bricks -> charcoal?

I produce all my charcoal from green algae but that might be because I've used that prior to arboretums.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Geode processing ratios

Post by mrvn »

Has anyone calculated the perfect ratios for geode processing? Helmod is no help there as it won't deal with so many sources for crystal dust. I even tried setting percentages manually but it still screwed it up. I'm talking about washing plants producing geodes and then crushing them.

My base unit is one mud washing plant with 5 geode producing plants in one row. Water connected on the outside and mud water on the inside. Then the same 6 plants rotated 180° above that so they share the mud water pipe. Two mud water pumps and one water pump (overkill but easier to setup).

But now the problems start. There seem to be a lot of options:

1) Do you take out all geodes on a mixed belt (4 basic belts combined actually)? Or use filter inserters to pre-sort them?
2) Sort the geodes with splitters?
3) How many ore crushers per color? For one base units (10 geode plants) it looks like I need 2 (3?) blue/red, maybe 2 yellow and 1 for the rest each. What's the perfect ratio here?
4) Again the output question: filter inserter, unsorted or sorting with splitters?

What are your setups?

StarTotino
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by StarTotino »

mrvn wrote:
mexmer wrote:

ahh, I was relying on FNEI too much. I changed the settings to show hidden recipes and only then did it give the 47 alternatives to corn and fruits for compost

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

mrvn wrote: Charcoal from arboretums? Don't you mean wood? Or is there sufficient advantage to go wood -> cellulose fiber -> wood pellets -> wood bricks -> charcoal?
Oh hell yeah it is worth it. 1 wood is 4MJ, it can be turned into 4 fiber which is also 4MJ, then as per green algae, it gets doubled when turned into wood pellets and increased by another +25% when turned to charcoal, a 2.5x increase in fuel value. Each arboretum using the tier3 recipe produces more than twice as much fiber as a MK2 algae plant, and almost none of that needs to be looped back in, so they're pretty good.
mrvn wrote:Has anyone calculated the perfect ratios for geode processing?
I don't think it's even worth doing unless you specifically need more crystal seedling than can be produced as a byproduct of hydro refining. It's worse energy-wise than high tier electrolyzers and has a larger footprint and is much busier.

I have designed washing setups to evaluate them and I prefer a sushi belt, these seems to work really well with splitter input priority to prevent jamming. There are probably some pretty cool things which could be done with splitter sorting, but the sushi belt approach doesn't seem to have any real downsides.

For the geodes the perfect ratio is 30R:30B:20Y:15P:12Y:12C so you're probably going to want something smaller and imperfect, like 2:2:2:1:1:1 or 3:3:2:1:1:1.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

StarTotino wrote:
mrvn wrote:
mexmer wrote:

ahh, I was relying on FNEI too much. I changed the settings to show hidden recipes and only then did it give the 47 alternatives to corn and fruits for compost
FNEI is not exactly reliable, sometimes it hides unlocked stuff, sometimes it shows only voiding recipe, even for things that cannot be voided, and so on.
i usually use search in production tree or research tree, and FNEI as last resort.

talchas
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Geode processing ratios

Post by talchas »

mrvn wrote:Has anyone calculated the perfect ratios for geode processing? Helmod is no help there as it won't deal with so many sources for crystal dust. I even tried setting percentages manually but it still screwed it up. I'm talking about washing plants producing geodes and then crushing them.

My base unit is one mud washing plant with 5 geode producing plants in one row. Water connected on the outside and mud water on the inside. Then the same 6 plants rotated 180° above that so they share the mud water pipe. Two mud water pumps and one water pump (overkill but easier to setup).

But now the problems start. There seem to be a lot of options:

1) Do you take out all geodes on a mixed belt (4 basic belts combined actually)? Or use filter inserters to pre-sort them?
2) Sort the geodes with splitters?
3) How many ore crushers per color? For one base units (10 geode plants) it looks like I need 2 (3?) blue/red, maybe 2 yellow and 1 for the rest each. What's the perfect ratio here?
4) Again the output question: filter inserter, unsorted or sorting with splitters?

What are your setups?
Yeah, what I have is 5 (mk2) geode producing into Mk2 Crushers (my bp has Mk3 crushers for red/blue geodes, I'm not sure it's necessary) into Mk2 liquifier for mineralized and 2x Mk3 for slurry; a single red belt for input/output of the crushers using splitters to make sure that no geodes get lost, and then directly inserting into the liquifiers at the end of the belt on the other side. You may need some additional inserters from the very last crusher (and you'll in general need ultimate inserters or a bunch of fast or stack inserters, even with them moving short angles rather than 180), or a couple tiles of blue belt. This is then just under a Mk2 filtration unit with +60% from modules running charcoal filtering, or ceramic and +20% (really +10%, but...).

Ceramic will be somewhat negative on mineralized and chacoal is positive, and if you run out (or run over and don't have a sufficient dumping mechanism) everything crashes, so it's easiest to make sure you're positive and have out valves.

This isn't a /perfect/ ratio, but it's close enough, and is close to the limits on basically everything including belt space (but you could use mk3 crushers for everything, and then several are even more underutilized, as you mentioned).

If you want to try and find even more perfect ratios, yeah, helmod is terrible for saying "I have these resources, now what can I get from it" instead of "I want this, now how do I get it". You might be better off just manually doing the ratios.

A bit of dead space perhaps, but tilable:

Last edited by talchas on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Mods”