Topics and discussion about specific mods
minno
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.16] Sea Block Pack 0.2.16

Post by minno »

RemiFlan wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 am
I guess it is not exactly a Sea Block related question, but is there a way to automaticly destroy certain items similar to gas\liquid voids? Certain production lines (like chlorine from Electrolyser) have an additional item output, which can fill all your warehouses after a while.
You need large amounts of sodium hydroxide for aluminum production for red circuits and blue science (with SCT and circuit processing mods), which come up at about the same stage where chlorine production is necessary, so it should be easy to use it all up.

roax206
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by roax206 »

minno wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:59 pm
RemiFlan wrote:
I guess it is not exactly a Sea Block related question, but is there a way to automaticly destroy certain items similar to gas\liquid voids? Certain production lines (like chlorine from Electrolyser) have an additional item output, which can fill all your warehouses after a while.
You need large amounts of sodium hydroxide for aluminum production for red circuits and blue science (with SCT and circuit processing mods), which come up at about the same stage where chlorine production is necessary, so it should be easy to use it all up.
a better example is lime. While it has many uses mid to late game I ended up using the process in the early game to efficiently get carbon dioxide for power (as where is the fun in solar) but even though I barely do anything on a large scale I was constantly destroying and replacing warehouses. Before anyone mentions bricks I practically paved the entire land mass at the time and it didnt impact the lime production at all. Only after I changed to a different power production method (rocket boosters and now moving to syntesis gas solid fuel) that the rate of lime production dropped off.

hewhoispale
Inserter
Inserter

Post by hewhoispale »

roax206 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:57 pm
minno wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:59 pm
RemiFlan wrote:
a better example is lime. While it has many uses mid to late game I ended up using the process in the early game to efficiently get carbon dioxide for power (as where is the fun in solar) but even though I barely do anything on a large scale I was constantly destroying and replacing warehouses. Before anyone mentions bricks I practically paved the entire land mass at the time and it didnt impact the lime production at all. Only after I changed to a different power production method (rocket boosters and now moving to syntesis gas solid fuel) that the rate of lime production dropped off.
If you just want CO2 without bulk volumes of solid by-products, that's what liquefying charcoal/wood pellets is for. You're using a by-product of process while ignoring the primary outputs.

Considering the amount of extra work it sounds like you've been doing managing the lime, it doesn't sound particularly more efficient.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

It is probably a viable option to get CO2 from lime at the beginning, because it may consume less power than green algae (not exactly sure).
Then, trees from aboretums should be better without solid by-products

Tony3D
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tony3D »

The lime can be consumed with porous lime filters which only required blue science.
The sodium hydroxide seems to be consumed and at times I found I needed to make extra.
Because of the difficulty to obtain the trees for tree seeders I would also have a look at the farms as an alternative. The Tianaton seed can make a surprising amount of cellulose. One row of washing plants, topped with two brown algae plant, small storage tank and overflow clarifier will support about 48 farms which is a lot of cellulose.
Last edited by Tony3D on Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megatron
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Megatron »

Has anyone problems with compressed air generation or air scrubbing?
There should definitely be a MK3 and maybe even MK4 Air Filter. Those available are just horribly slow.

Tony3D
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tony3D »

Megatron wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:37 pm
Has anyone problems with compressed air generation or air scrubbing?
There should definitely be a MK3 and maybe even MK4 Air Filter. Those available are just horribly slow.
They are slow. But modules help

WladySpb
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by WladySpb »

Hi all! Sorry for my english)
I'm little confused with energy and fuel...
I build row of electrolisers, processed to cristalise ore from mineral solution, and energy from wind generators run out. Build new generators is variant, but wery slow, and i'm try to create fuel from green aglae. But row of seven aglae farms, and appropriate amount of assemblers required about 2.4 MW - all the electricity that comes from their charcoal, and even more. In fact, this massive farm products nothing) No fuel, no energy, no fibre. Only consumes mineral water)
If calculating, productivity in ideal - 2 charcoal/s, (10Mj), after burn in boiler Mk2 - (60%) - 6MW. But in real - its produced less :(

Then, question - how more effective generate electricity in early game? Only build more and more wind generators? Or focus on grow trees, and convert it to fuel? Or multiply this farm, and try to run it on max effectivity?

UPD: I fool) I place new boiler, and increase fuel consume and temperate steam, but can't upgrade steam generators, and half energy lose) Upgrading this momentally up electrisity produce to 3.6 Mw, and charcoal started to pile up)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Yes, indeed. Boiler mk2 doesn't help, if not upgrading to Steam Engine mk2, too. This is because, the Steam Engine mk1 cant handle to higher steam temp. and the rest is lost. The steel cost are very high, though.
While green algae gives only a little surplus, tree growing with arboretum is much more efficient, even the most simple recipe. You just need one desert tree. And it helps immensely to use mineral sludge instead of mineralized water crystallization, which will be needed for green circuits anyway (lead and tin) to build tree growing machines

minno
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by minno »

WladySpb wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:32 pm
Then, question - how more effective generate electricity in early game? Only build more and more wind generators? Or focus on grow trees, and convert it to fuel? Or multiply this farm, and try to run it on max effectivity?
Focus on tree farming. It's a lot better for making fuel than green algae. You could also start making solar panels and using your fuel only at night.

Tony3D
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tony3D »

minno wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:41 am
WladySpb wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:32 pm
Focus on tree farming. It's a lot better for making fuel than green algae. You could also start making solar panels and using your fuel only at night.
Tianaton seed is another alternative. I have been using for plastic and resin but it should be fine for power as well. It gets converted to cellulose. If you do not have circuits a priority splitter can help - divert priority to the seed making and excess to pellets
Last edited by Tony3D on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

WladySpb
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by WladySpb »

Thanks for replies)
I configured massive on mineral sluge processing, and power drains out again :P Doubled green algae save me, but little.... Need MORE energy) Now, i try configure tree farm - two seeds i have, needs only create dirt and fertilizer production and then - soil)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

mineral sludge is only more efficient, because you can reduce electrolyzers, which are the main power sink, needed for the same amount of materials.
Same is for advanced smelting, especially steel smelting, which halfs the iron costs for steel.

For the simplest tree recipe, you need mud, compost and water, which are very easy. fertilizer can be skipped at first, because it requires urea gas, which needs ammonia

NeuralParity
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NeuralParity »

jodokus31 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:24 am
mineral sludge is only more efficient, because you can reduce electrolyzers, which are the main power sink, needed for the same amount of materials.
Mineral sludge is less power efficient than your starting mineralised water crystallisation recipe. Yes, it uses fewer electrolyzers but all the other stuff combines to require more power than the simple recipe. It's so much less efficient that you should be using mineralised water crystallisation even if you only need saphirite (in my marathon game, I just stockpiled the excess stiratite until I got blast furnaces). You only need to set up mineral sludge processing for making lead and tin.

Mineral sludge is only more power efficient when you're using washing plants and even then it's more power efficient to ignore the crystal dust and just use the mineralised water (you do unfortunately quickly end up with a massive stockpile of dust that you can't really use.

Edit: With no way to void items included in the mod-pack, I ended up going with washing mineral sludge, and using the excess mineralised water as a higher priority source of saphirite and stiratite.

minno
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by minno »

When I set the production lines up in Helmod it tells me that slag slurry coal filtration followed by crystallization uses 2.4 MW for 1 saphirite/s, but mineralized water from crushed slag uses 6.4 MW. If I switch them to use the highest building tiers instead of the lowest it's still 1.8 MW vs. 4.1 MW. It's a good way to use your extra mineralized water or crushed stone, but not if you're using extra electrolyzers for it.

live22morrow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by live22morrow »

For mineral water vs slag to sludge: I did a simple test setup with minimal machines to test the raw energy to ore ratio.
Each setup was connected to their own 270 MJ accumulator array. I gave the sludge setup a few sulfur to start. Ran both until they stopped. All first tier buildings.

The mineral water setup on average will make 58 ore total for 4.66 MJ/ore.
The sludge setup made 94 saphirite for 2.87 MJ/ore.

The sludge setup also used about 10 charcoal. Even if you add the raw fuel value of the charcoal to the total, sludge still comes out ahead. The output of the mineral setup is random, but it ran for 34 cycles, so should produce around 58 ore on average.

On marathon mode however, mineral sludge crystallization is twice as expensive, giving only 47 saphirite at 5.74 MJ/ore (the mineral water setup still produces the same). This makes mineral water better for making saphirite and stiratite on marathon.

NeuralParity
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NeuralParity »

live22morrow wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:56 am
On marathon mode however, mineral sludge crystallization is twice as expensive, giving only 47 saphirite at 5.74 MJ/ore (the mineral water setup still produces the same). This makes mineral water better for making saphirite and stiratite on marathon.
Aah, that'll be why I'm seeing mineralised water as preferable.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

live22morrow wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:56 am
Ok, I didn't know that. Interesting...

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

Why does science pack 3 require so much gold?
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Tony3D
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tony3D »

kinnom wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:03 pm
Why does science pack 3 require so much gold?
The default settings will provide you with a map that could take a few hundred hours to complete. If you plan to leave it running unattended something like auto research mod will help.

BEFORE generating a map there are a number of mod settings that will change quantities and could change the map difficulty. These options can not be altered from Factorio in game menus after the map is generated. You could possibly change settings with a text editor however that might break the map.

Return to “Mods”