[1.0] Sea Block Pack 0.4.10

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Kovchinsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.16] Sea Block Pack 0.2.5

Post by Kovchinsky »

Hello!

I recently started a new game with most current Seablock challenge (0 2 5) and Factorio 16 30.
I cannot get any coal, because the burner won't accept wooden bricks.

AlFayed
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AlFayed »

Yes, let us give Seablock an own forum group for discussion, it's to much all in a single thread.

I just switched over from Seablock 1.9 with Factorio 0.15 to 2.5 with Factorio 0.16 (yes, managed to wait until now with 0.16! :D) and I see the nodules removed.
Unfortunately I made excessive use of nodules for production of all ores, each a complete area, so beeing independend from each other.
Is the only way to use slag for the slag slurry then, or do I oversee a new way?

Regards
D

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Kovchinsky wrote:Hello!

I recently started a new game with most current Seablock challenge (0 2 5) and Factorio 16 30.
I cannot get any coal, because the burner won't accept wooden bricks.
Coal was removed, but there is now charcoal which comes from smelting wood bricks. You can also directly burn wood pellets or even cellulose fiber, but its not very efficient.
For starter sulfur, you should check the washing chain.
AlFayed wrote: Unfortunately I made excessive use of nodules for production of all ores, each a complete area, so beeing independend from each other.
Is the only way to use slag for the slag slurry then, or do I oversee a new way?
Slag slurry from slag is possible. There is also a quite nice way, to wash geodes and get slag slurry and crystal slurry. Not exactly a simple process :)

Kovchinsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kovchinsky »

Hello!

But I can't do this. Whatever I insert into the burner, be it pellets, or wooden bricks, it just says 'Cannot be smelted'.

I have seen there's a technology named 'Wood Processing 2', that would give me the ability to make charcoal from bricks. But I am far from even crafting the very first science pack, without access to any metals.
I would need sulfur for getting metals (through the sulfuric-acid->slag slurry->Crystallizer route), but without charcoal there's no sulfur.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

for the start there is the slag->crushed stone->mineralized water-> ore chain. you should also make sure to craft to water treatment plants.

Kovchinsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kovchinsky »

Hello!

I found that the problem seems to have come, from me updating the game to version 16 directly after creating a new seablock world with v15.
I just created a new world and saw that it's a completely different game now, at least in the beginning.

Thank you! :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Over the weekend I tried starting a new map with the latest Bobs logistics changes and angels fixes for the new basic (black) transport belts.

The Science lab needs a black transport belt to build because the yellow belt needs tin and you need research for that. Problem is that in SeaBlock black belts are locked behind red science while you get yellow belts unlocked early on. I had to patch SeaBlock to unlock black belts instead of yellow belts in the early, pre science lab, research to be able to play.

Cardoyle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cardoyle »

mrvn wrote:Over the weekend I tried starting a new map with the latest Bobs logistics changes and angels fixes for the new basic (black) transport belts.

The Science lab needs a black transport belt to build because the yellow belt needs tin and you need research for that. Problem is that in SeaBlock black belts are locked behind red science while you get yellow belts unlocked early on. I had to patch SeaBlock to unlock black belts instead of yellow belts in the early, pre science lab, research to be able to play.
Have you updated to the latest version of Seablock(0.2.5), Yellow belts no longer require tin anymore(just 1 steel and 2 Basic belts), it also produces 2.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Cardoyle wrote:
mrvn wrote:Over the weekend I tried starting a new map with the latest Bobs logistics changes and angels fixes for the new basic (black) transport belts.

Have you updated to the latest version of Seablock(0.2.5), Yellow belts no longer require tin anymore(just 1 steel and 2 Basic belts), it also produces 2.
Apparently not.

And I think that is worse. Steal is extremly expensive to get at first (8 plates to 1 steel). After some research for angels steel smelting it's still expensive until you get to the mixed recipes.

Tin on the other hand is relatively simple to get from direct smelting of bobmonium and then happens as a waste product of cupric ore sorting that you want to use for copper production. I would think tin is a much better candidate than steel for yellow belts.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

I think, that grey belts could be good enough for the first couple of hours, until steel smelting is unlocked. Only some splitters and undergrounds are needed from time to time.
Except, if you try to belt green algae or cellulose fiber in large quantities
But I would have start over again to fully judge, what the changes are doing.

Cardoyle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cardoyle »

You also get 2 Belts now instead of one, previously with the tin recipe you only got one. So the cost works out to be 11 iron plates for 2 belts. 1 belt=5.5 iron. Not sure what the cost is in just Bob's mods.

live22morrow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by live22morrow »

IMO, the harder yellow belt recipe is fine. In Seablock, Tin is basically the same dificulty as iron. Even if you don't have a good setup, you can just switch your crystallizer and foundry recipes to get some. Since red belts already require a much higher amount of steel (4 per belt), The .5 steel per yellow belt feels like an even progression in difficulty. It also encourages pushing for green science, so you don't have to be spending 200 sludge per plate.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

honestly tin is just not the problem. I think in the 8:1 phase steel is to costly for it, but once you need the throughput of the yellows, you are at 3:1 anyway and is doesn't matter much.
Also I would like to suggest to include some quality of live mods.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/keep-organized
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Squeak%20Through
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/beltplanner
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/autofill
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/even-distribution
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/HandyHands
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Bottleneck
As you are forced to build gigant arrays of stuff:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Bluebuild or https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Nanobots and https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Nanostart

cybersol
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cybersol »

I am running SeaBlock 0.2.5 on Factorio 0.16.32, and I cannot figure out how to make ferrous solution. There is only a barreling recipe for it according to FNEI. Has anyone else seen this? It does not appear related to the old ShinyGFX leaching plant issue, but instead the recipe itself seems to be missing.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

@Trainwreck
you can upgrade SCT to latest version, it also fixes issue with boblogistic inserter overhaul, if enabled.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

cybersol wrote:I am running SeaBlock 0.2.5 on Factorio 0.16.32, and I cannot figure out how to make ferrous solution. There is only a barreling recipe for it according to FNEI. Has anyone else seen this? It does not appear related to the old ShinyGFX leaching plant issue, but instead the recipe itself seems to be missing.
Ferous Solution is under Electro Refining ... that's a blue tech, and has quite long chain

in new game, there is no problem to get there, not sure if there is no problem in existing game, but that should most likely by addresses to @Arch666angel, since he is mod author (angels refining)

Cardoyle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cardoyle »

cybersol wrote:I am running SeaBlock 0.2.5 on Factorio 0.16.32, and I cannot figure out how to make ferrous solution. There is only a barreling recipe for it according to FNEI. Has anyone else seen this? It does not appear related to the old ShinyGFX leaching plant issue, but instead the recipe itself seems to be missing.
I have found FNEI to be not 100% reliable in seablock. I try to search through the research screen first to make sure the recipe is there, which it does show up for ferrous solution as the above poster said. You could also try putting on show hidden/disabled recipes. This does show a lot of junk which you cant actually do but some recipes are there which dont show up other wise.

An example of this was when i was trying to figure out how to make compost, without seeing the hidden recipes it would only show up two results to make it, both of which needed soil which needed compost. For some reason if you show hidden recipes another 30 odd ways pop up, i.e any algae or plant in a composter.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

jodokus31 wrote:I think, that grey belts could be good enough for the first couple of hours, until steel smelting is unlocked. Only some splitters and undergrounds are needed from time to time.
Except, if you try to belt green algae or cellulose fiber in large quantities
But I would have start over again to fully judge, what the changes are doing.
14 electrolyzer fill a black belt (and then a little bit). With that you can feed ore crusher and liquidifer and then 12 green algae farms in a 2x12 grid. Put a liquifier between 2 algae farms and feed it green algae directly, no belt needed and then feed a black belt from 2 liquiifiers with cellulose fiber. So a 2x6 grid of liquifiers inside the 2x12 grid of algae farms giving you 6 black belts of cellulose fiber. This needs yellow underground belts to tunnel under the second liquifier in each grid but everything else is just black belts. With yellow belts you can extend this to a 5x12 grid of farms and with red belts to 9x12 grid if I did my math right.

But my point is that with black belts you simply have to build wider instead of deeper. So you get 6 black belts instead of 3 yellow belts. Since they feed directly into assembler to make pellets they will half as long. So you have roughly the same number of belts just layed out differently and a lot cheaper. With the compression the wood pellets give and then again for wood bricks and later coke pellets the black belts are plenty for the later parts of a algae power plant.

@liv22morrow: You need yellow underground belts and splitters early on and with steal that makes them extremely costly. Later on when you get red belts they need steel already, as you say. So why make them need even more steel for the yellow belts? Better to have diversity there. Makes for a bigger puzzle.

As for "Tin is basically the same dificulty as iron" I have to disagree. Well, you are right at first because direct smelting of saphirite is the same as direct smelting of bobmonium. But that actually speaks against steel. Because 1 steel plate means 8 iron plates. So steel is 8 times as hard as tin at the start.

And later there is ferrous and cupric ore. Ferrous ore gives iron and manganese, which give a great incentive to research iron smelting II for the iron+manganese = molten iron recipe. The iron+manganese steel recepie is much harder to research though. Cupric ore gives copper + tin. The ferrous and cupric ore processes are the most efficient way of producing iron and copper. You need a lot of iron, you also need copper. So what you are left with is tin. What you aren't left with is steel.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Cardoyle wrote:
I have found FNEI to be not 100% reliable in seablock. I try to search through the research screen first to make sure the recipe is there, which it does show up for ferrous solution as the above poster said. You could also try putting on show hidden/disabled recipes. This does show a lot of junk which you cant actually do but some recipes are there which dont show up other wise.

An example of this was when i was trying to figure out how to make compost, without seeing the hidden recipes it would only show up two results to make it, both of which needed soil which needed compost. For some reason if you show hidden recipes another 30 odd ways pop up, i.e any algae or plant in a composter.
Could that be a problem with recipes for furnaces? For furnaces you don't choose a recipes but they pick one automatically. I think that's all hidden recipes. There should be two switches in FNEI, one for hidden and one for disabled. I want to see the hidden ones but not the disabled ones.

cybersol
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cybersol »

Cardoyle wrote: I have found FNEI to be not 100% reliable in seablock. I try to search through the research screen first to make sure the recipe is there, which it does show up for ferrous solution as the above poster said.
This was it, I have the research but the recipe does not show up for ferrous solution in FNEI even with hidden and disable recipes turned on. However, if I put down a leaching plant the recipe is available to be set on the machine, so it's FNEI that is wigging out somehow. Thanks.

Return to “Mods”