Topics and discussion about specific mods
BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16] Sea Block Pack 0.2.17

Post by BlueTemplar »

Jwcswong8 wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:55 pm
Was bob's inserter and belt overhaul not activated by default in 0.2.17 seablock? Now in 0.3.0 and 0.3.1 seablock it is enabled by default. Any suggestions to if it is better to use or not?
They weren't enabled by default in 0.16 bob's mods themselves for some weird reason... In 0.17 they seem to be.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

JacksonMacKenzie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JacksonMacKenzie »

In 0.3.1, the brown algae processing tech is empty, while the recipes to process brown algae into sodium carbonate and lithium chloride are under green algae processing.

Thanks for the update, Trainwreck. Will advise if I find anything else that seems off.

jrscrube
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jrscrube »

Just updated Angel's PetroChem & Refining to the latest patch. There is a clash/issue with your latest .17 version of Sea Block.

Love your mod so far (got to Blue Science however am restarting a 0.17 map).

:)

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:07 pm
Jwcswong8 wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:55 pm
Was bob's inserter and belt overhaul not activated by default in 0.2.17 seablock? Now in 0.3.0 and 0.3.1 seablock it is enabled by default. Any suggestions to if it is better to use or not?
They weren't enabled by default in 0.16 bob's mods themselves for some weird reason... In 0.17 they seem to be.
I remember, they weren't enabled by default in 0.16 bob's mods themselves, because there were too much changes with existing 0.16 bases and Bob decides to make it configurable. I've been through this some time ago, because i opted in for the overhauls.
Now, with 0.17, the overhaul is enabled by default, because people expect changes.

I'm also totally fine with it. Upgrading a 0.16 base without overhaul to with overhaul is possible (with a certain amount of WTF moments ;)), but for those who dont want it anymore for the current playthrough, or at least not at the moment, it can be opted-out in the settings.

For new playthroughs, i would definitely revert to default settings aka deleting the mod-settings.dat.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

With the 0.3.0 pack I'm getting a basic belt speed of 7.5 instead of 12.5. The mod settings for the belt overhaul are active. Anyone else see that?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Sounds like you have non-speed overhaul numbers ?

What is your "Belt speed per tier" set to ?
viewtopic.php?p=394392#p394392

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am

The speed in the mod settings is 12.5 and the overhaul options are on.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Thoughts about slag

Post by mrvn »

I've been thinking about slag. You can't have too much slag in SeaBlock. Slag can be turned into Crushed Stone, Stone, Stone Bricks, Landfill (ever had too much landfill?) or if all else fails you turn it into ores via Slag Slurry.

But the only way to make slag is with an electrolizer splitting water into hydrogen, oxygen and slag. So slag is everything in water that isn't water. Then shouldn't boiling water into steam also leave slag behind? Wouldn't it make sense to modify the boilers to output steam and Slag? Ideally boilers would produce enough slag to run the green algae farms powering the boiler. But it could be more or less too. More would require slag is always used up or you get a blackout. Less would mean you have to suplement with electrolizers. Both cases would add to the puzzle.

What do you think? Is that idea worth implementing?

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

mind electrolyzers process water direcly, while into boiler you will put at least partially filtered water, otherwise you will need to do maintenance on it every day.

slag comes from minerals, that are in water. but highly mineralized water will break boilers, therefore it is not same water, that is used by electrolyzers (although technically comes from same source), therefore it's even less likely you will get slag from steam.

also mind electrolysis is different process than boiling.
during boiling limescale is produced (albeit on low rate, unless you have highly mineralized water, but you don't want that), then again, to get limescale out of boiling chamber, it's done either mechanical or chemical way, and you need to stop using boiling chamber for cleaning time.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

mexmer wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:57 pm
mind electrolyzers process water direcly, while into boiler you will put at least partially filtered water, otherwise you will need to do maintenance on it every day.

slag comes from minerals, that are in water. but highly mineralized water will break boilers, therefore it is not same water, that is used by electrolyzers (although technically comes from same source), therefore it's even less likely you will get slag from steam.

during boiling limescale is produced (albeit on low rate, unless you have highly mineralized water, but you don't want that), then again, to get limescale out of boiling chamber, it's done either mechanical or chemical way, and you need to stop using boiling chamber for cleaning time.
It's the same water pump, same water pipe and no extra filter unit is used. So either you are just boiling water and indeed the boiler needs to be cleaned often. Or it has an internal filter and then the filter needs to be cleaned. Either case would make a good argument for getting slag.

As for water being highly mineralized: You get 1 ton of slag from 100 liters of sea water. How mineralized is that? :) Or it that 1kg of slag? Still a lot.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

mrvn wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:58 am

These settings are overridden in "A Sea Block Config_0.3.0". So its always: 7.5 grey, 15 yellow, 30 red, 45 blue, 60 purple and 75 green.
Also the underground length is always 3 grey(jumps 2 tiles), 5 yellow, 7 red, etc.
So I think, it's working as intended

Ommand
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ommand »

It would be nice if we could get rid of the various "electrolysis" research items along with the unused "electrolyzer" 1-4 recipes.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:39 pm
mexmer wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:57 pm

It's the same water pump, same water pipe and no extra filter unit is used. So either you are just boiling water and indeed the boiler needs to be cleaned often. Or it has an internal filter and then the filter needs to be cleaned. Either case would make a good argument for getting slag.

As for water being highly mineralized: You get 1 ton of slag from 100 liters of sea water. How mineralized is that? :) Or it that 1kg of slag? Still a lot.
1 ton of slag from 100 litter of water would be quite impossible. considering water is roughly 1l = 1kg

whatever units there are, yes water in factorio must be heavilly mineralized, if such thing works.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

jodokus31 wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:22 pm
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:58 am

These settings are overridden in "A Sea Block Config_0.3.0". So its always: 7.5 grey, 15 yellow, 30 red, 45 blue, 60 purple and 75 green.
Also the underground length is always 3 grey(jumps 2 tiles), 5 yellow, 7 red, etc.
So I think, it's working as intended
Hey, nice, those are exactly the settings that I would have picked (both for speed and length) !
(Though that would be for a normal Bob's game - I'm considering whether 7.5 - 15 - 30 - 60 - 120 - 240 wouldn't be more appropriate in Sea Block, considering what the end game seems to entail ?)

dorthak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dorthak »

This has likely been asked already, but please forgive me for not reading through 57 pages - I did check the last few. I'm trying to figure out if this pack has been upgraded for 0.17. Is the file "SeaBlockPack_0.3.1.zip" linked on page 56 the current version? Does it work with 0.17? There's nothing in the first post about it, and I couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other.

Thanks.

minno
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by minno »

Can inserters even grab stuff from belts that are going at 240 items/s?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

minno wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:35 pm
I have a feeling that even extra fast ones from bob might not catch up - you could use very fast bus and use slower belts on sides for production.
I think that speeds like that might cause some side effects in game engine.. animation might get strange.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

dorthak wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:56 pm
This has likely been asked already, but please forgive me for not reading through 57 pages - I did check the last few. I'm trying to figure out if this pack has been upgraded for 0.17. Is the file "SeaBlockPack_0.3.1.zip" linked on page 56 the current version? Does it work with 0.17? There's nothing in the first post about it, and I couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other.

Thanks.
Yes - you should have read just above that :P
viewtopic.php?p=414003#p414003

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

orzelek wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:22 pm
minno wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:35 pm
I have a feeling that even extra fast ones from bob might not catch up - you could use very fast bus and use slower belts on sides for production.
I think that speeds like that might cause some side effects in game engine.. animation might get strange.
If the inserters can't grab items, then typically the belt will backup, which will slow the items down enough that the inserters can grab them. But yeah at that point you might as well save some resources and simply use a slower belt.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

As orzelek mentioned, you don't necessarily need for inserters to be able to grab from the fastest belt.
(Or you could also use loaders, or assembly lines...)

Return to β€œMods”