[MOD 0.10.2] Automatic Rail Laying Machine

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.10.2] Automatic Rail Laying Machine

Post by Choumiko »

I just uploaded a renamed version: https://github.com/Choumiko/rail-layer/ ... _0.1.1.zip (no renaming required)
Works for 0.11.8
Choumiko wrote:It does not check if rails can be placed, will build over water and other entities, use at own risk!
Works in singleplayer, haven't tried in multiplayer
Changes:
  • Loading bug fixed
    adjustable positioning of big electric poles
    optional removal of stone rocks
    placing of signals with adjustable distance (not finished)
    when using FatController on the rail-layer it doesn't place rails
    some bug-fixes
Take a look at settings.lua Should be self-explanatory.
You'll have to replace the - before the version with _ in the zip file and the directory inside to get it to load

Urbs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Urbs »

Choumiko wrote:I just uploaded a renamed version: https://github.com/Choumiko/rail-layer/ ... _0.1.1.zip (no renaming required)
Works for 0.11.8
Choumiko wrote:It does not check if rails can be placed, will build over water and other entities, use at own risk!
Works in singleplayer, haven't tried in multiplayer
Changes:
  • Loading bug fixed
    adjustable positioning of big electric poles
    optional removal of stone rocks
    placing of signals with adjustable distance (not finished)
    when using FatController on the rail-layer it doesn't place rails
    some bug-fixes
Take a look at settings.lua Should be self-explanatory.
You'll have to replace the - before the version with _ in the zip file and the directory inside to get it to load
So i downloaded your zip. The machine lays rail always to the right and never in front of me?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You're on the "right way". :mrgreen:
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Urbs wrote:So i downloaded your zip. The machine lays rail always to the right and never in front of me?
Works fine for me (newly downloaded zip, fresh 0.11.8 game, no exra mods)
Repost:
Choumiko wrote:Make sure you don't enter the engine when it's on a curved track. Try leaving and entering again. Signals or poles don't hinder rail-placing, if there are some in the wagon they get placed, if not then they don't.
I just tried it with a fresh game, cheated in the items, it lays rails just fine.

In case you never used it: Where the rails get placed depends on the position of your cursor relative to the engine, make sure it's ahead of it. Takes some getting used to but is fun

Urbs
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Urbs »

Haha ya I didn't realize how sensitive it was to the cursor location. It works :)

ColonelWill
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ColonelWill »

Does it now work for MP in 11.8 or just SP?

Thanks

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

ColonelWill wrote:Does it now work for MP in 11.8 or just SP?

Thanks
The way the mod is written it can't work in MP. It references the player's cursor and that's not part of the game-synced state (it will cause a instant desync as soon as the train makes any turns).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Version 0.1.2 for 0.11.9

Post by Choumiko »

"New" version: https://github.com/Choumiko/rail-layer/ ... _0.1.2.zip
Works for 0.11.9 (but NOT for 0.11.8) Singleplayer only
Only change is that it checks if rails can be placed at the desired position (since 0.11.9 fixed the related bug)
So no more rails over water ;)

rioninnimo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Version 0.1.2 for 0.11.9

Post by rioninnimo »

Choumiko wrote:Only change is that it checks if rails can be placed at the desired position (since 0.11.9 fixed the related bug)
So no more rails over water ;)
There this thing i wanted for quite some time now : make big island in map editor , and then have some way to come in and out of my base with impenetrable water barrier around it. I read entire mods forum section . There teleporter mods , boat , land building - all of them either for some old versions of factorio or water crossing feature not working for me.
And when i read about this bug , rails over water , i immediately tried this out , and happy days and jubilation ! It worked ! I can cross water with this.
So , could you keep download link with version of your mod that can place rails over water for players that want to have ability to cross water ? Your mod seems to be only option at the moment , if version with rails-over-water feature get removed there will be no more options to cross water.
PS This mod is awesome , thank you.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.1.2 for 0.11.9

Post by Choumiko »

rioninnimo wrote:So , could you keep download link with version of your mod that can place rails over water for players that want to have ability to cross water ? Your mod seems to be only option at the moment , if version with rails-over-water feature get removed there will be no more options to cross water.
PS This mod is awesome , thank you.
It's still there, on page 13 at the top. If i remember corecctly i couldn't walk on the rails over water, and in versions before 0.11.10 (or 9) this bug could lead to corrupted savegames, so be carefull.
It's not my mod, i am/was only making it work again when an update broke it :D
Btw: not working for 0.11.12 anymore

Frostea
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Frostea »

I'm not sure if someone has mentioned it, but there seems to be a bug when the rail layer tries to place straight tracks after curved ones. As shown:

It performs flawlessly on straight lines but as soon as my cursor tries to go sideways a little, it places a single curved track and some straight tracks that are completely wrong-sided.

I have tried this both on an existing save and in a new game. This is utilizing the 0.1.2 version that Choumiko has kindly supplied.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Frostea wrote:I'm not sure if someone has mentioned it, but there seems to be a bug when the rail layer tries to place straight tracks after curved ones.
I briefly mentioned it in my previous post ;)
From the 0.11.11 release notes:
kovarex wrote:Scripting
  • Fixed problems in the lua equipment grid interface:
    .clear() nolonger crashes, .move() works now, and .generatorenergy reports energy as a floating point value.
  • Fixed that the rail directions were messed up when building rails from script.
    The mechanism, that changes the rail direction based on the position is still used for manual building, to allow the user
    to build diagonal rails without having to switch direction after every piece.
This change and the fact that the rail layer relies on a api function (steering with the cursor) that is _not_ going to work in MP made me decide to rewrite it from nearly zero: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =32&t=8157
Rail placing is working, electric poles not that well yet, signals are working in my current version, which is not released yet :)

Frostea
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Frostea »

I'm uhhh... Not too sure what are you trying to say. So it is supposed to be broken as it is? I am mostly aware of how the logic works for the train as I've read through the control.lua, although I don't do LUA much so I can't pin-point the error. I assume that in your unreleased version of this mod, you are able to make turns?

Edit: NVM I just saw your mod on the WIP section of the forum. You really should put that on your signature to raise awareness :D

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Frostea wrote:I'm uhhh... Not too sure what are you trying to say. So it is supposed to be broken as it is? I am mostly aware of how the logic works for the train as I've read through the control.lua, although I don't do LUA much so I can't pin-point the error. I assume that in your unreleased version of this mod, you are able to make turns?

Edit: NVM I just saw your mod on the WIP section of the forum. You really should put that on your signature to raise awareness :D
Excuse the confusion, was tired. I'll post a thread in the (proper) Mod section once i feel it's stable enough (should be today i hope)

danb77
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by danb77 »

aney one elce having probblems downloading this mod

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

A complete rebuild of this mod is coming soon, author hopes today, so it would probably be best to wait for f.a.r.l rather than get this mod, which I don't believe will have any support or bug fixes going forward.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

katyal wrote:A complete rebuild of this mod is coming soon, author hopes today, so it would probably be best to wait for f.a.r.l rather than get this mod, which I don't believe will have any support or bug fixes going forward.
It is ready, guys. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=8189

Yttrium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yttrium »

It puts trees in the trains inventory, this does not make any sense, Is there any way to use this mod and NOT have that feature installed?

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

this is dead mod ... person who was maintaining it did a full rebuild which can be found here : https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=8189

As for automatically cutting down trees and putting them into the wagon ... I believe the new mod allows you to turn it off but I'm not sure. Most of the bother of laying rails is going through forests so most people are actually quite happy about that feature.

isacfg11
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by isacfg11 »

pls update it to 11.13 or 11.14 when it comes :) cool mod

Return to “Mods”