[MOD 0.14] Train Coupler

Topics and discussion about specific mods
vortex1967
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Train Coupler

Post by vortex1967 »

After a lot more testing and playing(it is so cool to watch) with the Train Coupler mod I think I have figured out
why the fluid inventory is being left behind when using the rail tanker mod.

My understanding of the rail tanker mod is it has a sort of 'phantom' inventory that drops down to fill with fluid.
Then when you go to move away it re-enters the tanker.
If things happen too quick the 'phantom' inventory gets left behind.

The same result as using your mod can be triggered manually:

Place a tanker near a pump by hand or with a train to start filling with fluid.
If you use a train to position the tanker hit V to disconnect the train and pull away a short distance.
Drive the train up to the tanker, hit G to connect and then pull away as soon as it is connected.
If you do it quick enough the 'phantom' inventory will be left behind.

When using your mod there probably needs to be a delay after connection before moving off.
I think it was mentioned somewhere that your mod dis-regards wait times.

Toxomania
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Toxomania »

Hey, any chance we're getting an update for 0.15?

I'd love to try out your mod, it looks amazing!

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Toxomania wrote:Hey, any chance we're getting an update for 0.15?

Every time you post "when are we getting an update for version x" on the forum without mentioning what's broken, Wube kills a kitten.

Toxomania
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Toxomania »

I know, I just asked IF we are getting an updated version, since the usual "change factorio version from 0.14 to 0.15" didn't work for me :P

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

I'll have a look at making this mod work tomorrow when I get home from work, I might have a way to improve the functionality as well.

NiftyManiac
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NiftyManiac »

Toxomania wrote:Hey, any chance we're getting an update for 0.15?

Eventually :). I'm very busy in the short term but I'll get around to it.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Neat concept. Too bad it's not updated though. Will check again for 0.16 now that 0.15 getting old :)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Since version 0.15.11, the unique Train-ID of a train can be read by a station into the circuit network. According to this post by a Factorio developer, this Train-ID is a unique value that is equivalent to luaTrain::id.

Would it be possible to update this mod in such a way that this Train-ID is preserved when coupling/decoupling trains? Or is my fear correct that this is not possible?

If not, then it may be important to allow the user to specify a user-defined Train-ID value, as has been suggested in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46969 Constant Combinator for Locomotive

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Tekky wrote:Since version 0.15.11, the unique Train-ID of a train can be read by a station into the circuit network. According to this post by a Factorio developer, this Train-ID is a unique value that is equivalent to luaTrain::id.

Would it be possible to update this mod in such a way that this Train-ID is preserved when coupling/decoupling trains? Or is my fear correct that this is not possible?

If not, then it may be important to allow the user to specify a user-defined Train-ID value, as has been suggested in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46969 Constant Combinator for Locomotive
Changed train means new train id. You must listen to train changed and train created events - both tell you the old and the new id.

Greetings, steinio.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

steinio wrote:Changed train means new train id. You must listen to train changed and train created events - both tell you the old and the new id.
Thanks. But that unfortunately only helps the mod author, but not the player who has to adapt his circuit network to hard-code the new Train-ID. Unfortunately, the player cannot listen to any events using the circuit network. :-(

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Tekky wrote:
steinio wrote:Changed train means new train id. You must listen to train changed and train created events - both tell you the old and the new id.
Thanks. But that unfortunately only helps the mod author, but not the player who has to adapt his circuit network to hard-code the new Train-ID. Unfortunately, the player cannot listen to any events using the circuit network. :-(
Well the developers added this in a hurry and promised to look after it in 0.16 and add maybe a custom id. Until then there is no other way.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

steinio wrote:Well the developers [...] promised to look after it in 0.16 and add maybe a custom id.
I am unaware of any such statement by a developer. Did I miss something?

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

I have a working mod for 0.15 that allows for coupling and uncoupling, controlled by circuit signals provided to the station: Automatic Coupler

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

It seems that someone has now updated the mod for 0.16, too. The updated version is available here. I haven't tested it, though.

Return to “Mods”