[MOD 0.15] Wear and Tear (plus automated maintenance)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Wear and Tear (plus automated maintenance)

Post by withers »

Update 1.2.7

- Old machines in need of service now show up in the alert system and appear on the mini-map. This can be toggled on / off in game settings.
Attachments
20170726174702_1.jpg
20170726174702_1.jpg (226.58 KiB) Viewed 7369 times

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

Update 1.2.8

- Added Diagnostics Scanners for advanced automation. Unlock with circuit network research. If you place one in a logistics network, it will scan for old machines and send a signal for a new version of that machine into any connected circuit network. Useful for automating delivery of replacement machines to your construction bots.

I've attached a new demo save game to this message if anyone wants to see the diagnostic scanners in actions.
Attachments
WearTearDemo.zip
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 121 times

Hugger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hugger »

I have both latest Factorio and Wear&Tear mod versions. For some reason most recent version of Wear&Tear crash my game. My only another installed mod is Rampant.
Attachments
screenshot of error
screenshot of error
wt_error.png (1.76 MiB) Viewed 7336 times

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

Hugger wrote:I have both latest Factorio and Wear&Tear mod versions. For some reason most recent version of Wear&Tear crash my game. My only another installed mod is Rampant.
Thanks for the report. I see the problem. Should be fixed. V1.2.10

Hugger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hugger »

Works fine now.

Howewer, I noticed previously one annoying glitch: if drones autoreplace assembling machine and its inserter should feed assembling machine with one particular type of resource from belt with two types of items (iron plates from belt with iron and copper plates) sometimes during repacement phase ''dumb" inserters (fast inserter for example) take unwanted item (copper plate instead of iron) and then getting stuck with that unwanted item. That problem especially annoying with long inserters.

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

Hugger wrote:Works fine now.

Howewer, I noticed previously one annoying glitch: if drones autoreplace assembling machine and its inserter should feed assembling machine with one particular type of resource from belt with two types of items (iron plates from belt with iron and copper plates) sometimes during repacement phase ''dumb" inserters (fast inserter for example) take unwanted item (copper plate instead of iron) and then getting stuck with that unwanted item. That problem especially annoying with long inserters.
Yeah thats happened to me too. Obvious workaround is to use smart inserters. I'll see what I can do though. Maybe have it destroy unwanted items.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

withers wrote:

Yeah thats happened to me too. Obvious workaround is to use smart inserters. I'll see what I can do though. Maybe have it destroy unwanted items.
Just get all inserters from 3x spaces around the entity, loop through their hand contents if the target pos is inside the ent collosiion box, and spill them to ground around the entity and mark for deconstruction.

Code: Select all

--some pseudo code
local insert_stack = inserter.held_stack
local count = insert_stack.count
local inserted =  new_entity.insert(stack)
if count - inserted > 0 then
local target = surface.create_entity({name="item-on-ground", position=surface.find_non_colliding_position(blah)}
target.stack.swap_stack(insert_stack)

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

Nexela wrote:
withers wrote:

Just get all inserters from 3x spaces around the entity, loop through their hand contents if the target pos is inside the ent collosiion box, and spill them to ground around the entity and mark for deconstruction.

Code: Select all

--some pseudo code
local insert_stack = inserter.held_stack
local count = insert_stack.count
local inserted =  new_entity.insert(stack)
if count - inserted > 0 then
local target = surface.create_entity({name="item-on-ground", position=surface.find_non_colliding_position(blah)}
target.stack.swap_stack(insert_stack)
Great idea! I went with a slightly simpler solution though.

1. Before old entity gets removed, make a list of all inserters that feed it. Attach the list to the work order. (used to track the automation)
2. De-activate all inserters on the list.
3. When new entity gets placed at old location, re-activate inserters on the list.

Just uploaded fix. :D

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

I found a potential conflict with AAI Industries with Wear and Tear.

When it spawns your equipment in the crash, every unique item, such as Angel's smelting stuff, turns into assembling machines 2.

I don't know where the exact conflict is, but it only happens when wear and tear is installed.

Cheers.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

diongham wrote:I found a potential conflict with AAI Industries with Wear and Tear.

When it spawns your equipment in the crash, every unique item, such as Angel's smelting stuff, turns into assembling machines 2.

I don't know where the exact conflict is, but it only happens when wear and tear is installed.

Cheers.

That's a strange bug. Not sure how it could be related to wear and tear though. I use AAI Industry myself and haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

withers wrote:
diongham wrote:I found a potential conflict with AAI Industries with Wear and Tear.

Cheers.

That's a strange bug. Not sure how it could be related to wear and tear though. I use AAI Industry myself and haven't been able to reproduce the problem.
I have Angel's smelting patch that forces Angel's smelting that forces their smelting recipes and gives done at the start and quick start that gives me extra items at the beginning.

Perhaps it's them. I'll check it out and see if that's it.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Checked and it seems to be an issue with quick start. It doesn't show up with other inventory adding mods.

When quick start is enabled, all the assembling type items in the crash spot turn into assembling machines 2.

I also tested without AAI Industries and it seems to do the same thing. Way too many assembling machines and electric miners.

Maybe quick start, combined with your mods turning entities into single stacks adds too many items for it to be handled.

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

diongham wrote:Checked and it seems to be an issue with quick start. It doesn't show up with other inventory adding mods.

When quick start is enabled, all the assembling type items in the crash spot turn into assembling machines 2.

I also tested without AAI Industries and it seems to do the same thing. Way too many assembling machines and electric miners.

Maybe quick start, combined with your mods turning entities into single stacks adds too many items for it to be handled.
I just looked at quick start. Yeah it adds, depending on settings, hundreds of assembling machines and mining drills to your inventory at the start of the game. Since wear and tear makes the stack size of these items = 1, that means you'll get hundreds of stacks with these items. Not a bug, just the result of getting 100's of assembling machines added to inventory. Unfortunately, since the devs screwed up my age tracking method for items as of .15 (they merged together stacks with different health, and I use "encoded" health to track age of items in inventory), there's nothing I can do about this. As a work-around, you can just turn off inventory item age tracking under start-up settings. This will prevent the stack size from being set to 1, it just won't remember the age of item when you pick items up and move them around. Then you could turn inventory age tracking back on once you've made it manageable.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

withers wrote:
diongham wrote:Checked and it seems to be an issue with quick start. It doesn't show up with other inventory adding mods.

I just looked at quick start. Yeah it adds, depending on settings, hundreds of assembling machines and mining drills to your inventory at the start of the game. Since wear and tear makes the stack size of these items = 1, that means you'll get hundreds of stacks with these items. Not a bug, just the result of getting 100's of assembling machines added to inventory. Unfortunately, since the devs screwed up my age tracking method for items as of .15 (they merged together stacks with different health, and I use "encoded" health to track age of items in inventory), there's nothing I can do about this. As a work-around, you can just turn off inventory item age tracking under start-up settings. This will prevent the stack size from being set to 1, it just won't remember the age of item when you pick items up and move them around. Then you could turn inventory age tracking back on once you've made it manageable.
Yup that worked (I must have skipped that setting).

DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DarkyPupu »

Is there any reason so the replacement can start only when it's "old" in settings and not "Aging" already ? There is a potential loss of productivity there :p

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

DarkyPupu wrote:Is there any reason so the replacement can start only when it's "old" in settings and not "Aging" already ? There is a potential loss of productivity there :p
I'm not sure what you mean. The available options for when bots do automated replacement are "old", "dilapidated", and "never". The should never replace a machine that is "aging".

DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DarkyPupu »

Well that's exactly my question actually :
The should never replace a machine that is "aging"
Why not ? Aging constructions have less good productivity and pollution than new ones

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

DarkyPupu wrote:Well that's exactly my question actually :
The should never replace a machine that is "aging"
Why not ? Aging constructions have less good productivity and pollution than new ones
There's a few reasons:

1. An aging machine is set up as the equivalent of a "vanilla" machine.

Here's an example. Let's say an assembling machine has a regular crafting speed of 1.0, the crafting speed for the different tiers look like this:

New Assembling Machine: 1.1
Aging Assembling Machine : 1.0
Old Assembling Machine: .5
Dilapidated Assembling Machine: .1

The "new" and "aging" are meant to be part of the machine's useful life, with a slight bonus for "new". Once the machine is "old" that's when it makes the most sense to replace it and recycle/refurnish.

2. If you set up a factory where bot's automatically replace machines that are just "aging", what would you do with the machine that get swapped out? There's no recipe to recycle or refurbish an "aging" machine.

DarkyPupu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DarkyPupu »

I guess it makes sense especially for the second reason. However it still means that if you would replace manually (and trash) the aging ones, you would have 10% bonus from that exemple. I understand the reasonning but it's quite disturbing to me from a maximum efficiency point of view :)

I however thought of something else, maybe i will use a *lower* efficiency than aging for new machine (a bit like when you get a brand new car you shouldn't push it 100% at the start...) - it's kind of a warm-up :p

Maybe some settings like would fit the idea:
New Assembling Machine: 0.9
Aging Assembling Machine : 1.0
Old Assembling Machine: .5
Dilapidated Assembling Machine: .1

That would also solve my psychological problem to not have max efficiency replaced by robots at sight.

Does it make any sense ? :D

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

darkypupu are you german?
if so, hallo :)

efficiency ist everything :D
(have a look at my cascading warehouses) :)
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=34176&start=20#p294780
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Return to “Mods”