[dead] Wagons: More train stuff

Topics and discussion about specific mods
JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [beta] Wagons: More train stuff

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Neotix wrote:When I first used that mod I was wandering how you managed to force train to use electricity. But when I looked into train storage I laughed. You used damn good evil trick :twisted:
The whole mod is a bunch of evil tricks but that one is partially dirty. If you set up an inserter to take coal out of the train you get free coal for life!
Neotix wrote:Now I'm wondering. If you're generating coal in train by using electricity than is it possible to generate coal in boiler by using liquids (liquid boiler)
It is very possible to generate the coal but the problem is you can't interact with the liquid so there would be no way to use up it up. You could make a recipe that turns liquid into coal though without any dirty hacks. There is one that does the reverse, turns coal into petroleum.
Neotix wrote:It's really great mod and I'm using it withe the pleasure.

BTW. Combining rails with pole it's also brilliant :D Now I'm powering mines sides via rails :P
I can't take credit for the power rail, while it is an obvious extension of the mod Allotrope came up with the idea and did the awesome graphics for it. Glad you are enjoying the mod.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

JamesOFarrell wrote: (...) If you set up an inserter to take coal out of the train you get free coal for life!
Not so free, it's damn expensive :P

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Thanks for this mod and making trains so useful by allowing me to use Logistic "Wagons" this will make my loading/unloading station so much easier than using freaking Very Fast/Fast Inserters everywhere. I have thousands of robots, they are there for it =]

jakobeng1303
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jakobeng1303 »

please balance electric locos. They should be much more powerful!!! I sometimes have the bug, that powerails don't provide enough energy

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Neotix wrote:Not so free, it's damn expensive :P
They don't use much power at all when standing still so you can abuse it that way. I am hoping to set it so in the next update it will use up power if you remove the coal
SHiRKiT wrote:Thanks for this mod and making trains so useful by allowing me to use Logistic "Wagons" this will make my loading/unloading station so much easier than using freaking Very Fast/Fast Inserters everywhere. I have thousands of robots, they are there for it =]
No worries, that's pretty much the reason i wrote this mod, I was sick of the bottle neck at my train station.
jakobeng1303 wrote:please balance electric locos. They should be much more powerful!!! I sometimes have the bug, that powerails don't provide enough energy
When i wrote this I missed the fact that in the factorio universe there is no loss converting from coal to electricity so it is defiantly underpowered. How do you think I should balance it? Make them the same speed as the other locos and use the same amount of energy? Slower but use less energy? In the real world they tend to have a slower top speed than there diesel counterparts but I am open to suggestions.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Mining the Roboport Wagon while it has DyTech Logistic Robots results in all the robots dissapearing. Prolly it's line 880 syncInventory() function, not sure though.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

SHiRKiT wrote:Mining the Roboport Wagon while it has DyTech Logistic Robots results in all the robots dissapearing. Prolly it's line 880 syncInventory() function, not sure though.
That is indeed the function causing the problem. It is syncing items based on their name and not their type. Thinking about it it will also cause upgraded repair packs from the repair pack mod to vanish as well. This was a bit of a rookie mistake on my part. I've made a note of it and will fix it for the next version. Thanks for the bug report

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

JamesOFarrell wrote:That is indeed the function causing the problem. It is syncing items based on their name and not their type. Thinking about it it will also cause upgraded repair packs from the repair pack mod to vanish as well. This was a bit of a rookie mistake on my part. I've made a note of it and will fix it for the next version. Thanks for the bug report
I'm glad I could help you. I was planning making a mod with exactly your content (logistics), just to manage the loading/unloading of my train with robots. And then I saw your work and got really turned on ^^

If you allow me to can suggest some stuff:
- Add faster/stronger locomotives
- Added higher capacity wagons

Seelo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Seelo »

Now add Drill cariages, oven carriages, lab carriages, steam engine carriages, and some mobile inserters to transport stuff between them, add that to automated rail placing from other mod and we could have whole factories on rails. Just driving, in search for new territory, laying it's own tracks, stopping by lakes and ore fields to replenish resources... makes one wish that there would be a clear goal far far away to reach with your train. Like, I don't know, developed human colony? This would change both the pace and theme of the whole game. Another gamemode maybe?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Should I move this to main mods? I think it is not longer in progress and can be used.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Seelo wrote:Now add Drill cariages, oven carriages, lab carriages, steam engine carriages, and some mobile inserters to transport stuff between them, add that to automated rail placing from other mod and we could have whole factories on rails. Just driving, in search for new territory, laying it's own tracks, stopping by lakes and ore fields to replenish resources... makes one wish that there would be a clear goal far far away to reach with your train. Like, I don't know, developed human colony? This would change both the pace and theme of the whole game. Another gamemode maybe?
You could avoid the inserters if you have train wagons with requester slots that did assembly as well, sounds like a lot of work though. This mod is already pretty messy, adding a new game mod would require a complete rewrite.
ssilk wrote:Should I move this to main mods? I think it is not longer in progress and can be used.
Not quite yet, it is pretty messy and I want to at least clean up the main post. I'll send you a message when i am ready to move it.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

I just started using the logistic carts and the colors are great! Looks like there is a rave going on inside my trains...

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I can't load my game. I get that error:

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Neotix wrote:I can't load my game. I get that error:
Im sorry, what a pain. Can you post a copy of the save? If you disable wagons does the game load? If you disable your other mods does the game load? What other mods do you have installed?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Save: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/167 ... Gra001.zip
Mod list: http://i.imgur.com/E6rcd1g.png

When I disable or delete Wagons mod, I still can't load a game because of crash "Factorio.exe has stopped working".
After deleting all mods nothing changes.

What is strange that game ran normally without problems. Only save game is broken.
Last edited by Neotix on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

OK, I looked at the file and it looks like you can have only so many local variables saved to the script.dat file, this is usually not an issue but the way I store references to entities is generating a local variable for every carriage. Do you have about 151 carriage in this save? The save files thinks you do but this could be a bug in wagons.

There is not an easy fix for this at the moment. I'll have to rewrite how wagons stores entities but even if I fix the mod this save will not load as the issue is a limitation of how factorio saves/loads mod data. I tired editing the relevant parts out of the file but had no luck. If you want this save to load you might need to post it as a bug for the facotio devs as there is not much more I can do.

I'll edit the main post as this is a save killing bug and I'll start work on a new version of wagons. Sorry you had to be the one to find this bug.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I have 168 requester wagons, 35 storage wagons and 52 electric locomotives.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Neotix wrote:I have 168 requester wagons, 35 storage wagons and 52 electric locomotives.
That rules out a bug in wagons causing your file to grow and confirms my suspicions. Again, sorry for killing your save. Please post this as a big as I am sure the devs can increase this limit in factorio making the save loadable.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Deleting script.dat from save helped.
Here is link to bug thread https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=4980

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Neotix wrote:Deleting script.dat from save helped.
Here is link to bug thread https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=4980
Glad you got it working. I've updated the main post advising people not to use this mod so they don't get bitten by the same bug. I've also started work on the new version of wagons that fixes this issue, It is requiring an update to nearly every part of the code though.

Return to “Mods”