[dead] Wagons: More train stuff

Topics and discussion about specific mods
JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [beta] Wagons: Electric Trains and Logicistics Carriages

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Colombo wrote:Both:D

Artillery could be good alternative to tower creep or megaultrapowerarmor. Just make armoured train and rails near enemy base and use it to shell spawners while gunning down bitters with turret wagons:)
I think Artillery would be awesome but I think to limit it to wagons would be a waste. this is a great post about implementing Artillery in a way that would work in factorio. I think the different shells for range make it a little too complicated but I like the idea of having to manually aim your shots. Now, if I was going to mod artillery into the game it would be like that.

I will do laser, gun and missile carriages though. The code for adding them is mostly done. I should just be able to add a few entities and see them in game, it also gives me a change to play with projectiles which I have been looking for an excuse to do

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Are they going to be auto targeting and work while moving? it could be bad to have a train go by a random roaming band of bitters, spit a few lasers, and then get trashed when the bitters catch up after it stops at the nearby station to load up.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

starxplor wrote:Are they going to be auto targeting and work while moving? it could be bad to have a train go by a random roaming band of bitters, spit a few lasers, and then get trashed when the bitters catch up after it stops at the nearby station to load up.
I hadn't actually thought about it. The mod mostly works by spawning things when the wagons are stopped so that is really the best option. If I try to do it while it is moving the projectiles would come from very strange locations.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [beta] Wagons: More train stuff

Post by JamesOFarrell »

Battle wagons are in, see the first post

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

JamesOFarrell wrote:
starxplor wrote:Are they going to be auto targeting and work while moving? it could be bad to have a train go by a random roaming band of bitters, spit a few lasers, and then get trashed when the bitters catch up after it stops at the nearby station to load up.
I hadn't actually thought about it. The mod mostly works by spawning things when the wagons are stopped so that is really the best option. If I try to do it while it is moving the projectiles would come from very strange locations.
Spawning when stopped is great, so a player can stop a train mid-route if they want to screw with some bitters, but an automated train wont lure them back to the base.

Thanks for the update!

kolli
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kolli »

I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes here, but I've made some sprite sheets for the wagons. If you like them use them, if not don't. I don't mind either way.
Yellow, red, blue, purple and black(grey) sprites:
http://www.filedropper.com/wagon-sprites
The sprites are not totally symmetrical nor perfectly aligned, and also a bit too small, so if you can be arsed to fix that and re-render the blend-file is included.
You might wanna add some wheels too :lol:

Allotrope
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Allotrope »

kolli wrote:I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes here, but I've made some sprite sheets for the wagons. If you like them use them, if not don't. I don't mind either way.
Yellow, red, blue, purple and black(grey) sprites:
http://www.filedropper.com/wagon-sprites
The sprites are not totally symmetrical nor perfectly aligned, and also a bit too small, so if you can be arsed to fix that and re-render the blend-file is included.
You might wanna add some wheels too :lol:
Those look good! Much nicer than just the re-colored wagons. :P

I'll add them to the flatbed/wheels I have and let you see how they look.

Edit: Did you pack the textures into the .blend file?

kolli
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kolli »

Allotrope wrote:Did you pack the textures into the .blend file?
with textures:
http://www.filedropper.com/wagon6

Allotrope
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Allotrope »

kolli wrote:
Allotrope wrote:Did you pack the textures into the .blend file?
with textures:
http://www.filedropper.com/wagon6
Thanks!

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

kolli wrote:I've made some sprite sheets for the wagons.
Nice work, they look really good.
Allotrope wrote:I'll add them to the flatbed/wheels I have and let you see how they look.
Awesome, once they are done I'll sort the entity file out and post a new version.

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bulldog98 »

Hm for me this mod crashed, while trying to start factorio, but it did not give any usefull information about the crash :(

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

That is strange. So it just stopped responding and crashes? Which version of factorio are you using?

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bulldog98 »

I'm using 0.10 yes it was at loading mods and then crashed.

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

are you using other mods? It could be a conflict. Also are you using the zipped version or the folder? if you are using the zip file can you try uncompressing it? If you want to come on to the factorio irc channel I can try and help you out in real time. Link here

pdiddy973
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pdiddy973 »

hey i have a question...when ever i try and launch factorio it fails and says

"path
_Wagons_/resources/curved-rail/curved-rail-horizontal-backplates.png does not match any mod."

:? :?
any help...? this also happens with the auto layer mod is it a compatibility issue...? im running on the latest factrorio version

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

upzip the mod put the folder in mods folder instead of the zip file. also make sure you don't have mods/wagons/wagons/files

I'll try to make this work properly on the next release.

pdiddy973
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pdiddy973 »

I've tried that but when I unzip the mod it dosent show up in the mods list
~~edit~~ i fixed it i had the wagons mod in side another wagons mod and it works fine xd~~

Ethribin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ethribin »

This mod looks awesome to me^^
Just what I've been looking for to extend the train system of the game.

I'll be playing around with it a bit^^

Also...
I have read over the threat (not every word though) and I think no one suggested it yet (forgive me if I'm wrong please)...

I was thinking... what about tank wagons?
Like... wagons that can transport liquids.

We can only transport crude oil barrels so far. It would be nice and useful though to have wagons that can transport any liquid (not only crude oil but also heavy/light oil, carbon gas (yes, it's a gas, but it can be considered a liquid as it uses the same system in the game), Lubricant, sulphuric acid and water (for those who want to))
I figure a special "insterter" would be needed for that (if one exists in the mods, please forgive me for suggesting it. I haven't read through every mod thread yet) as you can't grab the liquid with inserter (I figure that's the reason the barrels exist(come to think of it... does a mod exist where one can fill any liquid into barrels?) Still. It would be cool to be able to transport liquids, don't you guys think?^^)
The greatest thing to be is not a hero, but a person who inspires people to be heros^^

Ethribin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ethribin »

I just saw that you guys were already considering tank wagons ><
Forgive me for having suggested it again ><

I take it the problem still is about filling them and emptying them?
Or have they been completely abandoned for the mod?

Someone said that the devs were actually thinking of adding tank wagons. How's the status on that btw?
(forgive me if I ask so many questions or repeat things others have said or asked >< I'm still new and dont know the forums like the back of my hand yet)
The greatest thing to be is not a hero, but a person who inspires people to be heros^^

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Unfortunately it's not really possible to do liquid wagons now. We have asked the devs to add the modding interface necessary when 0.10.0 was released, but there has been no answer so far. The devs themselves have put liquid wagons on roadmap for version 0.12, so we probably won't see them add liquid wagons for several months either..

There has been a few mods shown that add all liquids to barrels, but the only released one (that I know of) is the Liquid Station mod. It's a workaround, but the only thing that can be done at the moment.

Return to “Mods”