[MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Topics and discussion about specific mods
BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by BlueTemplar »

My bad, I think I confused it with the surface limit removal ??
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

jooe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jooe »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:59 pm
I've had this happen "solely" with AngelBobs and Alien Biomes + Dectorio, while adding Asphalt Roads.
(I decided to ditch Asphalt Roads.)
IIRC there's a setting available removing unused (vanilla?) terrain that should help with that ?
(I haven't tried it as it was an ongoing game, and I din't care about Asphalt Roads that much anyway...)

Also, IIRC this limit will be gone in 0.17...
I also identified the combination Alien Biomes + Dectorio + Asphalt Roads to add to many tiles, most of the other mods did not really matter (Angelbobs, AAI etc.).

A solution that worked for me was removing a few tiles from Asphalt Roads (manually by editing the mod) and disabling some from Dectorio (in the mod settings) so the game would work again.

If you are really interested, I would try again as soon as Alien Biomes is updated and send you a copy of the modmodded Asphalt Roads (I hope the author doesn't mind, he might also want to incorporate the change to have a reduced version)

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

There will be a 0.17 version soon. Hopefully some of the engine updates will solve the vram issue with decoratives.

FYI you can remove tile types from the mod settings to fit within the 255 limit.

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

Earendel wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm
There will be a 0.17 version soon
That's cool news!

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

Earendel wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm
There will be a 0.17 version soon. Hopefully some of the engine updates will solve the vram issue with decoratives.

FYI you can remove tile types from the mod settings to fit within the 255 limit.
Excellent news! Take you time to "get it right." :D

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

I refuse to start a new game until this mod is ready, I love it that much. The alien atmosphere this mod brings elevates the experience more than I imagined it could have. It's like C&C Tiberian Sun, which is also why I play the soundtrack alongside it.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Well, the vanilla world is significantly better/prettier too compared to 0.16. (And not just for resource placement !)

brokenshakles
Inserter
Inserter

Post by brokenshakles »

Light wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:26 am
I refuse to start a new game until this mod is ready, I love it that much. The alien atmosphere this mod brings elevates the experience more than I imagined it could have. It's like C&C Tiberian Sun, which is also why I play the soundtrack alongside it.
O.O I do the exact same thing!

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

I'm working on Alien Biomes now.

You may already know that terrain generation changed in 0.17: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-282
It's more complicated now, using sand-1 tile type as an example, the vanilla autoplace setting has gone from around 25 lines in 0.16 to around 500 lines in 0.17

Vanilla factorio uses mostly 2d biome placement, Alien biomes uses mostly 3d placement so I can't use the same utility functions as the vanilla tile types, I need to reverse engineer the existing ones to make my own and then fit them into an already complicated biome distribution system.

Join my discord channel to get progress updates.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Earendel wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:49 pm
I'm working on Alien Biomes now.

You may already know that terrain generation changed in 0.17: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-282
It's more complicated now, using sand-1 tile type as an example, the vanilla autoplace setting has gone from around 25 lines in 0.16 to around 500 lines in 0.17

Vanilla factorio uses mostly 2d biome placement, Alien biomes uses mostly 3d placement so I can't use the same utility functions as the vanilla tile types, I need to reverse engineer the existing ones to make my own and then fit them into an already complicated biome distribution system.

Join my discord channel to get progress updates.
I will have to join!

But yes, their generation really changed a lot. In my current vanilla 0.17 play, the map actually has sand along the shores as beaches! I can only imagine how hard it might be for you to update. Take your time! We eagerly await, but your hard work is appreciated for a job well done.
Light wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:26 am
I am doing the same in waiting. Love this mod for it's immersion and variety. Nothing like creating various worlds to play on (my 0.16 was a treeless, desolate, volcanic world).

Tiberian Sun music would be awesome to add to the side, thanks for the idea! I usually listen to non-vocal music alongside my gameplay, Tiberian Sun music would be a great addition.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Here is a testing version of 0.17 compatible Alien Biomes with coastal beaches, original palm trees, shallow water with original sfx, better other trees, and better snow distribution: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K07yS ... LXO3XLJ5Ex

It is best not to overwrite you old save, make a new one just in case.

You can post feedback here, but on my discord is better so I can ask for more specific details if something is not clear.

yghgdzs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yghgdzs »

First, thanks for your hard work and the swift update to 0.17. Alien Biomes really brings factorio to life :)

With the new compression in 0.17, will you make HR graphics the default in future releases or will there be also an update for the HR addon later?

arl-wai-oh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by arl-wai-oh »

hello.
An error occurred during loading. For SR, the image size is different.

Error loading mods

Code: Select all

Failed to load mods: The given sprite rectangle (left_top=0x0, right_bottom=127x135) is outside the actual sprite size (left_top=0x0, right_bottom=129x134).
Sprite name: __alien-biomes__/graphics/decorative/puddle/sr/puddle-decal-03.png.:__alien-biomes__/graphics/decorative/puddle/sr/puddle-decal-03.png

Mods to be disabled:
*alien-biomes
Thank you.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

yghgdzs wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:50 pm
First, thanks for your hard work and the swift update to 0.17. Alien Biomes really brings factorio to life :)

With the new compression in 0.17, will you make HR graphics the default in future releases or will there be also an update for the HR addon later?
I would combine them if I could. The limit is on the mod portal upload, it won't let me upload the file if they area combined.
arl-wai-oh wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:49 am
hello.
An error occurred during loading. For SR, the image size is different.

Error loading mods

Code: Select all

Failed to load mods: The given sprite rectangle (left_top=0x0, right_bottom=127x135) is outside the actual sprite size (left_top=0x0, right_bottom=129x134).
Sprite name: __alien-biomes__/graphics/decorative/puddle/sr/puddle-decal-03.png.:__alien-biomes__/graphics/decorative/puddle/sr/puddle-decal-03.png

Mods to be disabled:
*alien-biomes
Thank you.
Thanks, that has been fixed.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

The new 0.17 compatible version is released on the mod portal. It's taken over 100 hours of work to get this far.

I kept people updated with the development on discord, here are some of the highlights:

Initially almost nothing worked, trees and decoratives were all over the place. There were wetland trees in the desert, desert trees in the snow, and squiggly blue things everywhere. I poured many hours into trying to sort out the settings, but it gradually become clear. The settings were right but there was a bug in factorio:
axis problem diagram.jpg
axis problem diagram.jpg (242.69 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
The devs did a great job of fixing that quickly.

Let's add beaches:
beaches.jpg
beaches.jpg (260.69 KiB) Viewed 5630 times

Hmmm, it would be nice if some sandy beaches had palm trees:
palms.png
palms.png (946.29 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
They're hand-painted btw.

Most of the trees from 0.16 were replaced in 0.17 with different graphics, but I still wanted some of the old ones because they had cool root structures, so I brought those over.

Some testers asked "why is there a forest of dead trees?"
Well the trees were not dead, but leaves are very faint... but I can fix that:
mangrove-example.jpg
mangrove-example.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Hand-painted extra leaves.

Shallow water is a tile that's part of vanilla 0.17 but you don't see it in procedural maps.
So I added shallow water to the coastline and pools of muddy water to the grassy wetland.
coastal sandbar.jpg
coastal sandbar.jpg (454.66 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Now coastal sandbars are a thing.

But wait, when you run through water there is no foostep sound at all? Got to fix that:
sploosh.jpg
sploosh.jpg (63.15 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
12 original foot sploosh sound effects done.

The rest was mainly generating maps, running around, tweaking settings, then repeat hundreds and hundreds of times.

Thanks to all the testers that helped make this easier.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Thank you ! :D

Specific mention to the "dead trees forest", it has annoyed me so much !
(Especially since dead trees and trees-that-have-been-dead-to-start-with absorb much less pollution...)

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Wow, just wow! I wish I would have joined your Discord sooner, would love to have tested to help. This mod is amazing, thank you so much for your efforts and hard work! I look forward to sharing some crazy pictures in the near future. (Following a Reddit post I saw this past weekend, one guy names lakes, deserts, and forests; I plan to start doing this in my games. And with Alien Biomes, I will have some serious fun with it!)

Earendel, again, thank you for a beautiful mod. Nice touch with the beaches and shallow waters. :D Donations should be in order!

Cisz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cisz »

Ahh, thank you for the quick work.

I'll have to start over now ofc, but it's totally worth it. :D

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

This is lovely, and seems really well integrated into the new map generation system (which is much, much better than the 0.16 one). Thank you very much for the work you've done on this.

I do have a small complaint. And that's with the number of rocks. I haven't carefully tallied to see if this is just a problem in particular biomes. And maybe it's what's intended. But, in some places, it seems like you can't even move more than 20 tiles in any direction without hitting a rock. This seems like an excessive frequency of these things.

It might be nice to have some control over it. Maybe there is one that I missed.

Again, thank you for the hard work on this mod. It's gorgeous.

Black_Fire95
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Black_Fire95 »

Quick question, how do i reset my vanilla biomes to the alien ones with having restart my game? I remember the older version had something like that when you load the mod in an old save.

Return to “Mods”