Mylon's Many Mods

Topics and discussion about specific mods
PaladinOne
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Mylon's Many Mods

Post by PaladinOne »

So I was just talking with L0771, author of Cursed Exp (which has suddenly returned after being inactive since 0.11), about an odd issue I found with BlueBuild: namely that it failed to build the Seeds which were ghost-auto-placed by mining its Tree Matures. We traced the problem to the Seeds being placed by surface.create_entity, which BlueBuild wasn't detecting.

L0771 found a workaround that he could use (which involved updating gobal.ghosts himself), however while he was testing it he tried rewriting parts of BlueBuild's control.lua, and sent me a copy. He claims that what he did to it should both make BlueBuild iterate more efficently, and solve the problem with his Seeds not being detected.
I'm not fluent in the Factorio API (or in Lua for that matter), but attached is the file he sent me. We jokingly speculated about how badly you'd tear it apart, but there might be some wisdom in here.
Attachments
control.lua
(12.73 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

Sorry, a lot of commented code, the real code have less than 150 lines... But i don't tested it.

The problem begin on a code's efficiency
[now/lower/higher]
(map with more than 900 ghost entities)

And with some changes in the same map...

Barcel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Barcel »

Can this mod be modified to lay refined conrete instead of normal one?

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Sorry about the long hiatus. I have a newer version of concreep sitting on the shelf, but I'm not yet happy with how it works. Using the find_tiles_filtered{limit=min(available_bots, available_concrete)} isn't as performant as I would like so I'll have to go back to doing a spiral pattern.
Sorry, a lot of commented code, the real code have less than 150 lines... But i don't tested it.
I'm really curious what you did to get such great performance! I've explored a variety of methods to make Bluebuild work, but I'm sure there's always a better method.

neoc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by neoc »

Sorry, but making one thread for all your mods is a very bad idea. A flat forum like this already is very inconvenient as is; throwing even more posts in a thread which the reader isn't looking for when searching for information about a specific mod makes it worse. I have to look at every single page (13 at the time of writing) when looking for posts about a specific mod.

Zero Serenity
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zero Serenity »

Concreep Refined has been released, it's an available option: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ConcreepRefined

Salty Wagyu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Salty Wagyu »

How do I get Piety working? I was told I should isolate a roboport, give it 10k landfill in logistic chests and add a request for iron ore in the requester chest and then the roboport should explode and give ore surrounding the roboport - but nothing happens?
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (574.37 KiB) Viewed 7074 times

Zephyrinius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zephyrinius »

I've been using Peppermint Mining (+ Dangoreus; thanks for these great mods!) with Pyanodon's mods. I feel like they're a great combination (with also Factorissimo 2). There was one thing that didn't work as I thought it should: in Pymods, there are molybdenum ore patches, which you can only mine with a special molybdenum ore mine. However, I found that I could mine molybdenum with bots using peppermint mining. To "fix" this, I added the following as line 89 of control.lua in peppermint mining:

Code: Select all

or ores[i].prototype.name == "molybdenum-ore"
Of course, this is not the cleanest way to do it, but since this ore doesn't have any special properties (like being infinite, having high hardness, or requiring a fluid) I didn't know a better way. It would be great if you could incorporate this fix into the mod (perhaps in a cleaner way).

There are other special ores in Pymods, but they all require mining fluids, so peppermint already handles them correctly (i.e., doesn't let you mine them with bots).

Again, thank you SO MUCH for the excellent mods you have developed!

Zephyrinius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zephyrinius »

Regarding Dangoreus: Mylon, could you tell me how to call that perlin.measure() function from within the game?

I'm trying to use Angels+Bobs+Madclown (maybe +Pymods) and there are about 15-20 ores. Because of the way things are implemented (with each bin size being rounded up) there is no space left for the last couple of ores (one of which is coal) and they don't appear at all. I'd like to implement a finer-grained MEASURE to correct this, but I know nothing about programming in lua.

Edit: I figured it out and set it up with 400 bins instead of 100. Works great. Might be nice to update the mod to use more bins so that people can combine it with mods with a lot of ores. Would also be neat to let the user set the perlin noise exponent (which is basically a scale factor for the size of ore patches). With lots of ore types it is nice to increase it so that you are sure to have access to all of them within a small distance.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Sounds like you have dangOreus settled. I intended to make it easy to make it easier to add a finer grained perlin.MEASURED and with a recent refactor with version 1.5.0+ I should probably do that. The latest version also has some improvements to better tween the points within perlin.MEASURED.

How does the mod normally limit molydenum mining? I'm curious if there is a 'clean' way to handle it.

Zephyrinius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zephyrinius »

version 1.5.0+
Hadn't seen that -- looks awesome!
How does the mod normally limit molydenum mining? I'm curious if there is a 'clean' way to handle it.
I think there is no regular mining recipe for it. You need to use a special mining drill that only works for that type of ore.

Regarding Dangoreous ore distibutions: I've also been playing with using a distribution that is a sum of two (or more) Perlin distributions with different length scales (i.e., different values of "EXPONENT"). Makes for more complex patterns that I find appealing. Again, being able to at least set the exponent seems pretty valuable when there are many ore types.

intelminer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by intelminer »

A friend of mine set up a server using the Belt Upgrader mod, as well as https://mods.factorio.com/mod/beltlayer

The Belt Upgrader mod appears to break with the underground belts. When trying to upgrade regular, "above ground" belts, the robots will place them onto the "underground belt" track instead

Bug has been lodged against Beltlayer as mod well https://mods.factorio.com/mod/beltlayer ... 000b008a8a

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

Hey,
I'm using Dangerous Ore as main mod on my server.
I activated 'Floor is lava' option. (the one should stop exploration of players).

It appears that you can't die from ore or from biters. Also cars never explode when you are inside
Can i have a fast fix please :D

Also i got a suggestion :
Can you make a (new or improve mining productivity) technologie to make drills faster ?

Thx
Just a big fan of Factorio and all its mods

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

I could add a new technology that reduces the size of ores, but proportionally increases productivity so you get more net ore out of them. That would be the same as a mining speed increase. But it might be easier if you include Bob's Mining mod.

I'll look into the not-dying thing. It appears to be a Factorio bug, but with an update not on the immediate horizon I'll publish a workaround.

ggrnd0
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ggrnd0 »

Redstylt wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Can you make a (new or improve mining productivity) technologie to make drills faster ?

Thx
bob mining?

@Mylon, in game with angel bob madClown with about 20 ores dangoreus perline paths got too tight. 1-7 tiles.

how make that larger?

Very minor
generation mode enumeration in dangoreus description on mods.f.com does not match screenshots perline<>voronoi
will be good annotate modes on images.

MoleOnDope
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MoleOnDope »

Hello Mylon,

I got to know about DangOreus from Nilaus' "This Planet of mine" and found it super interesting looking!
I would love to try it out, but since map gen has gone through a major rework with the recent 0.17.x release, I suppose there's also a lot of work that would need to be put into the Mod.

Is that something you are considering?

I do hope to get some news to this, the mod looks like a super fun scenario for a future playthrough.

Cheers and thanks!

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

I'd like to update dangOreus and it will work just fine under random mode. 0.17 removed ore.autoplace_settings.coverage which I used to spawn ores in quantities relative to how they appear in vanilla map gen settings. Having a giant 1/6 pie slice of uranium for example is not desirable! It should work fine in random mode for the time being, but I'm exploring a proper update.

MoleOnDope
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MoleOnDope »

Awesome, thanks for the quick answer!

I might give the last version a go on 0.17 just for the fun of it, but I'll definitely check out the updated one once it's ready.
I'll stay tuned!

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Therax »

Therax wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 pm
I still think Bluebuild shouldn't raise on_put_item at all. The only way to know what item was "put" is to look at player_index and check the cursor_stack, which is worse than useless in Bluebuild's case.
This is still a problem and it's causing crashes in Miniloader when players use the new copy/paste functionality in 0.17. Bluebuild raises on_put_item when it builds a diagonal rail, and the player has the copy/paste blueprint in the cursor. So as far as Miniloader can tell, the player just placed a blueprint with a diagonal direction, which is impossible.
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Therax wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:04 am
Therax wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 pm
I still think Bluebuild shouldn't raise on_put_item at all. The only way to know what item was "put" is to look at player_index and check the cursor_stack, which is worse than useless in Bluebuild's case.
This is still a problem and it's causing crashes in Miniloader when players use the new copy/paste functionality in 0.17. Bluebuild raises on_put_item when it builds a diagonal rail, and the player has the copy/paste blueprint in the cursor. So as far as Miniloader can tell, the player just placed a blueprint with a diagonal direction, which is impossible.
Have you tried ght-bluebuild (bluebuild rewritten)? I found that the original bluebuild still had serious performance problems in multiplayer while ght-bluebuild was faster.

Return to “Mods”