[MOD 0.14] AAI Vehicles: Hauler

Topics and discussion about specific mods
rebirth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] AAI Vehicles: Hauler

Post by rebirth »

I have seen a movie on youtube where the hauler unloads the miner automatically when he is in it's neighbourhood.
But in my game, this doesn't happen, I have to unload the miner with an inserter.
Do I have to activate something to automatically unload to the hauler? Or was this only in a previous version? Or am I doing something wrong? :oops:

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

You would need to have the AAI Programmable Vehicle mod running and properly configure the Hauler unit data and the Vehicle Depot exchange data for that to work. There is a demo file to see it working (it's a bit out of date though).

Also I do plan to reduce the base Hauler collision damage. Unfortunately in Factorio the collision damage is locked to vehicle weight, there's no way to make it deal less damage without making it lighter.

rebirth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rebirth »

Thank you for your quick reaction Earendel, good to see you follow this topic so good ;)
I think I might have expressed myself not really good. I just want to drive the hauler manually to the miner, I don't want a fully automatic process where the hauler drives to the miner on it's own. That's much to difficult for me.
It's just the small part of the inventory from the miner going to the hauler in one automatic step. Do I have to configer the Hauler unit data and the Vehicle Depot exchange for that to work also? I thought I just needed to do that for the automatically driving part :?

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Oh OK.

You still need AAI Programmable Vehicles, but you don't need any of the combinator or structure stuff. The vehicles should have sufficient default for typical resource transfers so they just need to get close.

You can adjust what is transferred with the hand held Unit Remote Controller, select one of the units and change their Unit data, which will change what the vehicles collect and give away.

noodlebox
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by noodlebox »

Earendel wrote:Also I do plan to reduce the base Hauler collision damage. Unfortunately in Factorio the collision damage is locked to vehicle weight, there's no way to make it deal less damage without making it lighter.
Collision damage also depends on "energy_per_hit_point" in the vehicle prototype. It seems to be something like "kinetic energy dissipated per point of damage done". The value for the base Tank (and Hauler right now) is 0.5 and the value for the Car is 1.0, so increasing it to 1.0 (or higher to account for the extra weight) should make it feel less tanky in collisions.

ReasonX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ReasonX »

Hello, thanks for the mod. But why it so cheap? 10 SP for the tech and build from dirt and branches.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

It's basically a steam wagon which makes it pre 1850s tech, so really not that complicated at all. Way less complicated than an assembling machine or robotic arm (burner inserter).

Kamsta99
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kamsta99 »

Hi Earendel can i put on mods.factorio.com modified version of your Hauler to act standalone mod and be balanced for vanilla ?
Possible changes:
◦ Removed tank driving
◦ Increased weight
◦ Increased fuel consumption
◦ Relocated in tech tree to be after automobilism
◦ Harder recipe (need engine and steel)

Code: Select all

{
     {"engine-unit", 12},
	  {"iron-plate", 30},
	  {"steel-plate", 15},
	  {"iron-gear-wheel", 5},
},
General idea is to make hauler more fit vanilla style, good for moving a lot resources before trains.

I actually make this for myself but maybe more Factorians like this idea. Of course full credit and link in description to original mod :)

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Kamsta99 wrote:Hi Earendel can i put on mods.factorio.com modified version of your Hauler to act standalone mod and be balanced for vanilla ?
Possible changes:
◦ Removed tank driving
◦ Increased weight
◦ Increased fuel consumption
◦ Relocated in tech tree to be after automobilism
◦ Harder recipe (need engine and steel)

Code: Select all

{
     {"engine-unit", 12},
	  {"iron-plate", 30},
	  {"steel-plate", 15},
	  {"iron-gear-wheel", 5},
},
General idea is to make hauler more fit vanilla style, good for moving a lot resources before trains.

I actually make this for myself but maybe more Factorians like this idea. Of course full credit and link in description to original mod :)
No.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

I think the hauler is meant as a basic vehicle... I know I've used them as such in my bobsmod game. Didn't really use it for hauling, but it was handy to use for moving around a bit and expand. The large cargo hold and reasonable speed makes it a nice vehicle to do base expansions with. It handles a lot easier then that vanilla car.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Yeah, the technology it uses is really basic, in real world terms less complicated than an inserter or transport belt. I could be talked into making it heavier, less energy efficient and/or more expensive. One day I'll probably add another tier too, but right now I'm busy with a space mod.

la0michael
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by la0michael »

I do my best to do research before I ask anything. I've seen nilaus and a buncha other explanations.

Here is my problem.

I have units pick-up ( by setting unit data manually) and then create a looped path for then to follow.. They'll end up at a depot made to accept them.

That usually happens right the first time. After that the unit data for the truck usually changes in some way.. I could have it set to accept 10 iron and pushout 9 iron but after that first successful trip.. I can click on the truck again and it'll have 2k iron instead.

The goal is to loop a pick-up and drop-off from depot to depot. The first depot is set to push out and the other is set to accept. But it's the unitdata of the truck that keeps changing.

Is this where I would use the unit controller data? Does it work on schall cargo trucks?

la0michael
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by la0michael »

Earendel wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:44 am
Oh OK.

You still need AAI Programmable Vehicles, but you don't need any of the combinator or structure stuff. The vehicles should have sufficient default for typical resource transfers so they just need to get close.

You can adjust what is transferred with the hand held Unit Remote Controller, select one of the units and change their Unit data, which will change what the vehicles collect and give away.
would this allow me to configure two of the same items/ things at once ?

example : Truck to depot A accepts 10 iron ore
( using the waypoint method )
drives to depot B to have the same 10 ore taken.

I'm trying to configure the depot and truck in the right manner,

Return to “Mods”