[MOD 0.15.12+] Long Reach Research 0.4.1 - initial bonuses

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15+] Long Reach/Build/Mine/Pickup/Loot Research

Post by Mooncat »

BlackHat wrote:What is the difference between Pickup and Loot?

Is Pickup used when you press "F" to get items on the ground?

IS Loot the Automatic picking up of Alien Artifacts as you run around?
If so, since Alien Artifacts have been removed from the game, what does loot do now?
Yes, you are correct about pickup vs loot.
And also yes, Loot is not so useful in 0.15. If you destroy a stone rock by using weapons, you will get lootable stones. And that's it.
That's why the technology is made cheaper. (I should make it even cheaper?) ;)

Alxandr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alxandr »

As far as I've understood it, loot is still defined in the game - it's just not used all that much. A mod could for instance make it's own loot (bob's enemies for instances drops/dropped tiny artifacts when you murdered biters). So for vanilla, this research might not make much sense, but the loot mechanic in the game is not gone.

Weirdo Sarah
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Weirdo Sarah »

Hey, can you make a mod to undo the changes when I uninstall the mods? I didn't really like how the pickup mod would cause me to pick up things on conveyors next to it. When I uninstalled the mod, the changes were still there. I was going to use the commands but they disable the modded achievements and I still want to see them.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Weirdo Sarah wrote:Hey, can you make a mod to undo the changes when I uninstall the mods? I didn't really like how the pickup mod would cause me to pick up things on conveyors next to it. When I uninstalled the mod, the changes were still there. I was going to use the commands but they disable the modded achievements and I still want to see them.
I will take a look on that. Maybe custom commands will do. Something like "/lrr reset pickup".

Alxandr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alxandr »

You could merge these mods together into one and have options to enable build/mine/pickup/loot. Like how you can install bobsores, but you have to turn on the ores you want to spawn.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Released Long Reach Research v0.3.1 and Mine/Pickup/Loot v0.2.1.
Changelog
Weirdo Sarah wrote:Hey, can you make a mod to undo the changes when I uninstall the mods? I didn't really like how the pickup mod would cause me to pick up things on conveyors next to it. When I uninstalled the mod, the changes were still there. I was going to use the commands but they disable the modded achievements and I still want to see them.
Please update to the newest version and type

Code: Select all

/long-reach-research-reset pickup
in the game. Then you can safely remove the pickup mod. ;)
Alxandr wrote:You could merge these mods together into one and have options to enable build/mine/pickup/loot. Like how you can install bobsores, but you have to turn on the ores you want to spawn.
I have thought about this. But I think I will stick with the current approach. Combining the technologies into one mod will require at least one restart of the game if someone don't want any of the technologies and want to turn it off in mod settings, unless he/she edit mod-settings.json directly, which I think is not the case for most users. And I'm not sure what the mostly used settings are, so restart will appear very often. bobsores is different because most of the time its default setting is used, so you don't need to restart.

Redoneter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Redoneter »

Mooncat wrote:I have thought about this. But I think I will stick with the current approach. Combining the technologies into one mod will require at least one restart of the game if someone don't want any of the technologies and want to turn it off in mod settings, unless he/she edit mod-settings.json directly, which I think is not the case for most users. And I'm not sure what the mostly used settings are, so restart will appear very often. bobsores is different because most of the time its default setting is used, so you don't need to restart.
Due to the fact that in .15 Factorio is now able to edit various mod setting in game, combining your long reach mods is now ideal for easy download. Also, before .16 comes out Factorio will likely be getting a way to snyc the mod settings from a multiplayer server to your mod settings, allowing for people to actually join a server with mods that have been adjusted using the new interface for mod settings. Due to the way this works, it may even allow people to download a whole bunch of mods for a specific multiplayer server with a single, but different or same button.

I hope that this and supportive weapons get an update for .15 soon-ish, and I thank you for a way to repair large areas of stuff without logistic bots or repair packs.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Redoneter wrote:
Mooncat wrote:I have thought about this. But I think I will stick with the current approach. Combining the technologies into one mod will require at least one restart of the game if someone don't want any of the technologies and want to turn it off in mod settings, unless he/she edit mod-settings.json directly, which I think is not the case for most users. And I'm not sure what the mostly used settings are, so restart will appear very often. bobsores is different because most of the time its default setting is used, so you don't need to restart.
Due to the fact that in .15 Factorio is now able to edit various mod setting in game, combining your long reach mods is now ideal for easy download. Also, before .16 comes out Factorio will likely be getting a way to snyc the mod settings from a multiplayer server to your mod settings, allowing for people to actually join a server with mods that have been adjusted using the new interface for mod settings. Due to the way this works, it may even allow people to download a whole bunch of mods for a specific multiplayer server with a single, but different or same button.

I hope that this and supportive weapons get an update for .15 soon-ish, and I thank you for a way to repair large areas of stuff without logistic bots or repair packs.
I think it is a bit too early to talk about synchronizing mod settings for MP games, because that would probably means the devs need to rework on how mods are loaded. I hope we can have this feature soon too, as you can tell I don't like changing any single startup setting would trigger Factorio to restart. It is painful especially when you have many mods activated.
But now I know what you people want.
For better experience, I would like to know what are the preferred default settings. Is the following combination good?
- Use the new tech levels
- T5 & T6 for long reach
- T5 for long build and long mine
- T4 for long pickup and long loot

Also thanks for mentioning supportive weapons. I want to update it, just haven't got time for that yet.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Mod settings already sync to multiplayer. And changing startup settings causing restart doesn't take effect until you leave the settings windows.

If you go with a combined route (which I think you should)
loot and pickup should default to disabled.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.12+] Long Reach Research 0.4.0

Post by Mooncat »

Combined the mods and released v0.4.0
Changelog
(Got the research time wrong. Feel weird that no one complained about that. But it is fixed now. :P )

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Awesome!
Some thoughts long build should be infinite albeit costing maybe 5x what long reach does
You could upgrade the other long-reach mods and put long-reach-research as a < current version dependency, this will auto disable them if they have the combined research mod.

Redoneter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Redoneter »

Mooncat wrote:Combined the mods and released v0.4.0
Thank you!

Muche
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Muche »

Have you considered displaying researched bonuses in the bonuses window (i.e. in the player character section next to logistic slots/quick bar count/follower robot count)?

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Muche wrote:Have you considered displaying researched bonuses in the bonuses window (i.e. in the player character section next to logistic slots/quick bar count/follower robot count)?
I have requested an API for doing this thing (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=40509), but unfortunately it has not been implemented yet.
I have a workaround in my mind though, just need some time to test it. :)

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.12+] Long Reach Research 0.4.1 - initial bonuses

Post by Mooncat »

Released v0.4.1.
Changelog
The workaround for adding a custom bonus on the Bonuses window didn't work. :(

Zombo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zombo »

Are there any updates planed for 0.16? I really miss your mod! Keep up the great work!

EvilBoar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by EvilBoar »

Zombo wrote:Are there any updates planed for 0.16? I really miss your mod! Keep up the great work!
+1 There are some alternative mods that have been released for 0.16, but they give you the max reach distance straight away so I don't feel like I did anything to deserve it ^^ This mod is the best long-reach mod I know and I would really like to see it updated too :D

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Take a look at qol research mod.
It has quite a lot of options so might be a bit overwhelming to set up but you can decide which research you want or not etc.
Link: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Aidiakapi/qol_research

Kornspeicher
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kornspeicher »

Zombo wrote:Are there any updates planed for 0.16? I really miss your mod! Keep up the great work!
You can "update" the mod to 0.16 yourself by changing 3 lines in the files.
Two lines in the info.json:
Change "factorio_version" from 0.15 to 0.16
And "dependencies" ["base >= 0.15.12"] to ["base >= 0.16"]
Save and close the file.
Now, go to the prototypes folder and open technology.lua :
On line 214, change the count formula to:"2^(L-16)*50+(L-8)*200" (basically, just remove the spaces in there)
Save it, run the game and enjoy :)

tuplex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tuplex »

Kornspeicher wrote:
You can "update" the mod to 0.16 yourself by changing 3 lines in the files.
Two lines in the info.json:
Change "factorio_version" from 0.15 to 0.16
And "dependencies" ["base >= 0.15.12"] to ["base >= 0.16"]
Save and close the file.
Now, go to the prototypes folder and open technology.lua :
On line 214, change the count formula to:"2^(L-16)*50+(L-8)*200" (basically, just remove the spaces in there)
Save it, run the game and enjoy :)
Works great, thanks.

Return to “Mods”