[MOD 0.17] Crafting Combinator

Topics and discussion about specific mods
theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Crafting Combinator

Post by theRustyKnife »

gridstop wrote:Well the absolute maximum would be the list of each item that's actually used as a component of something else right? There's lots of things on the combat, logistics, and production tabs that aren't.
Yes, that would probably reduce the number quite a bit compared to all the items.
gridstop wrote:Not sure how you'd recalculate that every time a new mod was added/changed. Bottleneck does something every time it senses a mod change, so there must be some way.
This is not really a problem. Actually, the recalculation would *have to* run every time the game starts up, not just on a mod change.
gridstop wrote:If you had a practical requirement of one item at a time at the 'top' level, you would probably be safe with max number of components in a given item squared or cubed, since unless they were almost on purpose trying to make a tree that kept expanding, the recipes would start to converge onto the same subcomponent & raw material lists.
The thing is that there's no way to know what the 'top level' is. From the view of the mod, all the combinators are the same, so unless I were to introduce some sort of chaining mechanism, this can't be guaranteed.
gridstop wrote:There's also some danger with mods that add recycling recipes and the like, since if there was something that say, turned copper plate back into copper ore, you'd get stuck in an endless loop if they named the recipe 'copper ore'. But a person could add filtering after each stage (zero out plates and ores so they stop getting looped back into the recipe combinator, since they're not assembly machine products normally).
Well, we can only hope that no one does that. I don't think it even makes much sense to 'recycle' plates to ores... With stone or stuff from other mods, there might be something similar that would make sense, so it's still a problem.

Cheers TRK

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Crafting Combinator

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.6.2 released.
Changes:
* Fixed a crash when the root GUI element was clicked ([9454](https://mods.factorio.com/mods/theRusty ... ssion/9454))

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] Crafting Combinator

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.7.0 released.
Changes:
* Updated for Factorio 0.15

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.7.1 released.
Changes:
* Fixed wrong icon scale for virtual recipe group
* Fixed recipes that defined complexities would get a virtual signal even if not necessary ([11640](https://mods.factorio.com/mods/theRusty ... sion/11640))
* Fixed broken localization
* Enabled sorting virtual recipes into groups

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.7.2 released.
Changes:
* Moved the refresh rate configuration to mod settings

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.8.0 released.
Changes:
+ Added an option to read crafting speed to crafting combinator
+ Added an option to multiply results by input count to recipe combinator
+ Added a mode to recipe combinator for finding recipes that produce a given item
* Fixed modules being carried back to storage in certain cases

solntcev
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by solntcev »

theRustyKnife wrote: + Added a mode to recipe combinator for finding recipes that produce a given item
If there are multiple recipes will combinator retrun all of them?

Thank you for this mod, it allows very compact structures with Bob's mods.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

solntcev wrote:
theRustyKnife wrote: + Added a mode to recipe combinator for finding recipes that produce a given item
If there are multiple recipes will combinator retrun all of them?

Thank you for this mod, it allows very compact structures with Bob's mods.
It should return all recipes that are currently available to it's force.
I may change this to just return all of them in the future tho, depending on how I feel about it after some more experience with it.

Cheers TRK

Zakharov
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zakharov »

Have you considered making the recipe combinator a 2-tile combinator with input and output like the arithmetic and decider combinators? It would make it much easier to do things like connect a recipe combinator that finds recipies to a recipe combinator that reads ingredients. I know that the mod tools won't let you implement it as a variant of an arithmetic combinator, but AAI has entities with circuit-connectable inputs and outputs. I'm working on something similar for a mod I'm making, so I might be able to provide you some code to get started.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Zakharov wrote:Have you considered making the recipe combinator a 2-tile combinator with input and output like the arithmetic and decider combinators? It would make it much easier to do things like connect a recipe combinator that finds recipies to a recipe combinator that reads ingredients. I know that the mod tools won't let you implement it as a variant of an arithmetic combinator, but AAI has entities with circuit-connectable inputs and outputs. I'm working on something similar for a mod I'm making, so I might be able to provide you some code to get started.
Hi,
I have indeed considered this. I actually also have a mod that sort-of does this (Circuit Network Switch - it's actually a three-tile combinator), but there is lot of issues with this. Mainly blueprints - unless there is some good way to save arbitrary data in blueprints that I'm not aware of, it's a real pain to get all the settings, connections to proxies and stuff like that in there.
I already have a decent framework for saving the settings, but unfortunately, that cannot be applied to the connections.

However, it is on my trello board for this mod, so maybe at some point, I'll implement this.

EDIT: While typing this, I actually got an idea that might be feasible - Use a decider or arithmetic combinator type entity as the main one and connect an invisible proxy constant combinator to it's outputs. Then the 'big' combinator will handle connections in blueprints, and the proxy could be used exclusively for setting the outputs.
I'll see if that would work, it sounds quite good.

EDIT 2: Also, it would allow me to make the combinator consume electricity, which would be nice.

Cheers TRK

Zakharov
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zakharov »

AAI manages to make it work with blueprints, you might take a look at their code.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.8.1 released.
Changes:
* Multiply by input count can now be used with find recipes
* Negative values are handled properly (not ignored as before)

timer67
Inserter
Inserter

Post by timer67 »

Any chance for a step by step on how this actually functions?

I love the idea, but im being an utter noob and cant get it working :p

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.9.0 released.
Changes:
+ Crafting combinator can read Bottleneck status (requires [Bottleneck](https://mods.factorio.com/mods/trold/Bottleneck) 0.7.3 or higher)

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

timer67 wrote:Any chance for a step by step on how this actually functions?

I love the idea, but im being an utter noob and cant get it working :p
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I'm a little too busy lately...

I understand that it's not exactly the simplest to get going with this mod. I got a few too many requests for some kind of tutorial, example pictures or blueprints and similar things already and I kept saying that I'll make something like that.

However, time is currently an issue on my side and I prefer spending the little time I have working on the mod itself, rather than tutorials and documentation.

So I'd like to ask, if anyone would be willing to help with this.
Any form of tutorial or documentation (blueprints, pictures, videos, text) would be appreciated. Feel free to post it here, on the mod portal page or anywhere else you want. You can also PM me or email me to [url=mailto://therustyknife13@gmail.com]therustyknife13@gmail.com[/url] if you want and I'll put it up.

Thanks TRK

hayzer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hayzer »

I have looked everywhere for a guild on this mod,it seems like it is a area 51 secret.What kind of clearance do i need in order to learn how to use this awesome mod. If anybody could break this silence any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Nightinggale
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nightinggale »

hayzer wrote:I have looked everywhere for a guild on this mod,it seems like it is a area 51 secret.What kind of clearance do i need in order to learn how to use this awesome mod. If anybody could break this silence any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.
I can tell you what I learned through trial and error. It's really great once you figured it out.

You research it and build a crafting combinator next to an assembler. Connect it to a constant combinator, set the item you want to build to something positive. Rotate the crafting combinator until the assembler starts on the recipe in question. Once you can control it with a constant combinator, you should be able to take the next step to use combinator logics to control it.

A recipe combinator doesn't have to be next to an assembler. It listens to the input and then it outputs whatever is needed to make the recipe in question. It uses the same connector for input and output (just like useful combinators), which is a bit confusing until you get used to it. It's quite useful for controlling a requester chest to provide what is needed for the recipe in question.

Do not connect both to the same wire. Say you want to make some mk2 of an item, which requires mk1, then the recipe combinator will output mk1 and the crafting combinator might then switch to making mk1. It would be nice if the recipe combinator has input and output as this would avoid that problem. Consider this a feature request.

When the recipe switch, whatever is in inserters and the assembler seems to vanish, but in reality it ends up in the crafting combinator, which then acts as a provider chest. This means you have to have it inside your logistics network to regain the lost items. Maybe it works with an inserter. If not, then that would be a feature request too ;)

If multiple items are given, then it will pick one (first in list?). Luckily the priority is the same for both combinators.

Be aware that assemblers will have low productivity if the recipe change too often and it's even possible to prevent producing anything if the recipe change say every 10th tick. This means you have to consider how to ensure the input remains stable for possibly hundreds of ticks in order to get a decent productivity.

It works really well for some tasks while other tasks are better left to be done continuously. For instance research change quite a bit regarding the need for science packs and crafting combinators can be used to produce the types/amount needed. Works even better when combined with research combinator

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

New Version Released

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.9.1 released.
Changes:
* Fixed crash when loading without Bottleneck installed ([14118](https://mods.factorio.com/mods/theRusty ... sion/14118), [28](https://github.com/theRustyKnife/Crafti ... /issues/28))
* Added [Omnimatter](https://mods.factorio.com/mods/EmperorZelos/omnimatter) compatibility ([14039](https://mods.factorio.com/mods/theRusty ... sion/14039))

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

New Version Released

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.9.2 released.
Changes:
* Fixed a crash in the migration script

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

New Version Released

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.9.3 released.
Changes:
* Fixed settings being lost when reviving combinators using [Picker Extended](https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Nexela/PickerExtended)
* Fixed that the data entities could get placed in large numbers when dragging a blueprint while placing it ([31](https://github.com/theRustyKnife/Crafti ... /issues/31))

Return to “Mods”