theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

New Version Released

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.10.10 released.
Bugfixes:
- Fixed that some recipes wouldn't get a signal, even if they needed it
- Added compatibility for Omnipermute (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/omnimatter_permutation)

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

New Version Released

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.10.11 released.
Changes:
- Change names as required by Factorio 0.17.35

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

New Version Released

Post by theRustyKnife »

Version 0.10.13 released.
Bugfixes:
- Fixed a crash when the overflow chest became invalid without an event (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/crafting_ ... 000b5c6a82)

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Crafting Combinator

Post by waduk »

How to deal with multiple signal so the crafting combi doesn't go back and forth, more often it didn't even finished crafting at all, just looping recipe / crafting.

-----
Edit :
OK, i solved it, kinda....
Basically i use Signal Cycle by Hexicube, from here :
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... e/e3k8ylz/

The rest is easy to figured out, the contraption above will take multiple signal, then outputting just one signal that will get cycle to the next one.
It hold a signal by fixed number of tick (180 tick)
So i override that hold timing, input ticks were taken from recipe combinator + Arithmatic combi instead.

Ticks required for recipe:
(Product time from Recipe Combi x 10 x Ticks in one second) / Crafting Speed from Recipe Combi=
(Product time x 10 x 60) / Crafting Speed =
(Product time x 600) / Crafting Speed =

Example for Gun Turret with Assembler Machine 1, with two arithmatic combi :
(80 x 600) / 50 =
48000 / 50 =
960 ticks

So sent that 960 tick to the contraption above.

Work pretty good, well at least now it doesn't get an endless-no crafting loop anymore.
It still goes on loop (due signal cycle), but now it can wait until that item get crafted.

Note :
(Btw, you need to set your own "signal filter" in that contraption)
It's possible to make a filter of every item in the game, but the bigger the filter are, the longer it took for that Signal Cycle to show your signal.

Blueprint string below is the Filter example of 90% of every item that Assembler can build
I say 90% because i didn't include everything like Personal discharge defense, Remote Artillery.

And no, this is not the full build, just a generic constant combinator with tons of item in it.

This is just an example how to build your own set of signal filter.
Notice in every item get a different amount of number.

stepcz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by stepcz »

Hello,
a simple question - how many ticks is the delay of Recipe combinator please? I am trying to build a contraption that would fill a requster chest with components to build item signalled by Constant combinator and I noticed it takes few seconds between setting of the CC and change in Recipe combinator. Thanks!

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

stepcz wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:02 pm
Hello,
a simple question - how many ticks is the delay of Recipe combinator please? I am trying to build a contraption that would fill a requster chest with components to build item signalled by Constant combinator and I noticed it takes few seconds between setting of the CC and change in Recipe combinator. Thanks!
By default the combinator updates every 60 ticks. This is not a "delay" tho, since it doesn't matter when the input appears, it just updates whenever the time comes.

If you want it to be more predictable (at the cost of more cpu usage) you can set the refresh rate to 0 in the settings. That will make the combinator update each tick, which means it'll behave like the vanilla combinators do - the output changes one tick after the input.

stepcz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by stepcz »

theRustyKnife wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:14 pm

By default the combinator updates every 60 ticks. This is not a "delay" tho, since it doesn't matter when the input appears, it just updates whenever the time comes.
Thanks for the super quick reply. My problem is, that I want to have a simple logic - when I turn off the CC which defines item, I want to activate an inserter to feed factory with items gathered in the requester chest. But since the recipe combinator holds the signal for those 60 ticks, it always caused delivery of additional items to the requester. Now I know I need to insert a 60+ ticks delay and it should be fine. Thanks for help and for the mod!

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

I wanted to have a generic "barrel the fluid in the pipes" machine, thanks to a recycling machine that'll emit the fluid ingredients.
Turns out to be less than entirely trivial, though thanks to theRustyKnife I got most of the way there. Attached is the combinator arrangement I found necessary to get the device to work. Thankfully, works with any fluid you can barrel or unbarrell, so I never need solve this again...

edit: thanks to the author, I learned you can set the crafting time multiplier to zero, and it won't send that signal out. so, apply that the obvious way and reduce the combinator count and lag. :)

edit: updated the picture a bit. old version still present as an attachment if you want.
fluid to barrel CC fixed.png
fluid to barrel CC fixed.png (704.63 KiB) Viewed 6234 times
Attachments
fluid to crafting combinator barreling recipe.png
fluid to crafting combinator barreling recipe.png (679.67 KiB) Viewed 6257 times

atithasos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by atithasos »

Dear slippycheeze

Can you please share your blueprint?

Also I am wondering if someone has also a circuit to make any recipe that i choose with the amount that i want and create or import the ingredients.
Since now I manage with difficulties to have a production of 1000 military science but something is wrong
when i get some of the ingredients then it stops and do not start to create the ingredients. I suppose its working serialize.
There are no video on youtube so we learn how to use it...

Thanks in advance

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

atithasos wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:01 pm
Can you please share your blueprint?
I'm pretty unclear what value a blueprint would add, compared to the documentation above -- especially because you need to integrate your own source of data regardless. Can you help me out understanding what you want it for?

atithasos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by atithasos »

Hello,
since now i manage to get CC working only for the products that have first level ingredients.
How can I use CC to output all the chain of the ingredients/products that the final product has?
An example is the red belt
I can see that wants yellow belt and gear but i can not produce directly the yellow belt...

I use right now the cc to have a standard stock in some items in my storage. ( only first level)

Is there any solution?
thanks in advance.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

atithasos wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:16 pm
since now i manage to get CC working only for the products that have first level ingredients.
How can I use CC to output all the chain of the ingredients/products that the final product has?
  1. use some sort of recursive algorithm to decompose everything to component parts before output (akin to, eg, the recursive max signal finder), or
  2. use some sort of automaton, with memory of some sort, to process each missing item recursively, or
  3. chain decomposition of the input to the output components enough levels that you have nothing but raw materials at the far end, or
  4. feed the ingredients to the next construction unit along, with logic to either move it from stores or build it depending on availability.
I'm sure there are other strategies, of course, those are just the obvious ones.

If you want someone to build that for you, I'd suggest that you will never get much benefit from the combinators, since they are really to solve some sort of custom automation problem and are inherently less efficient in terms of the game compared to a dedicated construction pipeline built by hand.

Just throwing pre-made blueprints using the device at problems is mostly going to leave you with a worse factory, built with tools you don't understand, meaning that you can't ever fix problems. This is going to be a much less effective strategy than using tools you do understand, or investing the effort to learn how to build them, at this point.

This is different from other parts of the game because, indeed, this is way out on the edges of the programmable logic capabilities in Factorio. It isn't a core thing, specifically because it doesn't solve normal problems. If you don't want to play the meta-game of building solutions by pushing combinator logic to the limits, this isn't a good choice of mod for you.

Which reminds me, Rusty Knife, thank you again for this extremely enjoyable contribution to the meta-game. :)

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

slippycheeze wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:40 pm
You're welcome. I just wanted to point out that there are some practical uses of the mod, just not really in vanilla. Angel's ingot smelting is a good example: you can use the more efficient recipe when you have the ingredients for it, but switch to the less efficient version if you don't, so you don't starve your factory.

But yea, you'll have the most fun with it if you just try to build something stupid ;)

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

theRustyKnife wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:05 pm
slippycheeze wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:40 pm
You're welcome. I just wanted to point out that there are some practical uses of the mod, just not really in vanilla. Angel's ingot smelting is a good example: you can use the more efficient recipe when you have the ingredients for it, but switch to the less efficient version if you don't, so you don't starve your factory.

But yea, you'll have the most fun with it if you just try to build something stupid ;)
Uh, I guess I kind of misspoke. It absolutely has a bunch of practical uses, even in vanilla. They just cluster around the far edges of automation and combinator logic, even when they do something like that recipe switch. Much easier to build a selector out of trivial combinator logic and unpacking a chest to a belt into dedicated smelter lines than do it with switching recipes -- but definitely not useless, and it absolutely moves around the costs.

My use to figure out how to barrel the random fluid outputs from the recycling machine eating random items (and redirect water to the great evaporator in the sky, because who needs that in barrels) wasn't much different.

In my mind that was kind of "obvious" from what I said, but, uh, looking back, I can see that it, y'know, totally wasn't. :)

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

slippycheeze wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 pm
Well, I didn't mean to say there aren't uses in vanilla, but it's generally not really worth the hassle and efficiency penalty, whereas my angel's example doesn't really have either of these problems (from my experience, anyway). Tho now that I'm thinking about it, something like a single-assembler mall-type thing sounds like a totally viable and practical idea, so I dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

theRustyKnife wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:03 pm
slippycheeze wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 pm
Well, I didn't mean to say there aren't uses in vanilla, but it's generally not really worth the hassle and efficiency penalty, whereas my angel's example doesn't really have either of these problems (from my experience, anyway). Tho now that I'm thinking about it, something like a single-assembler mall-type thing sounds like a totally viable and practical idea, so I dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That is a vastly better way of saying what I tried to say. :)

I considered the single assembler mall, or "small cluster of assemblers", and decided to invest in improved AAI Programmable {Vehicles, Structures} combinator logic first. I'm trying to see if my shift in mental model to thinking about it as a dataflow programming system helps me figure out to optimize a clockless zone scanner.

...but one day ;)

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

On an unrelated note, I was thinking about adding a sort of slave mode to the combinators, where they would do the exact same thing at the exact same time as their master combinator. This would be nice for controlling arrays of assemblers, plus it would be a lot more performance friendly. I think that could make it possible to build a smart cc factory for large scale production, which would be pretty cool.

Just a thought ;)

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

theRustyKnife wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:23 pm
On an unrelated note, I was thinking about adding a sort of slave mode to the combinators, where they would do the exact same thing at the exact same time as their master combinator. This would be nice for controlling arrays of assemblers, plus it would be a lot more performance friendly. I think that could make it possible to build a smart cc factory for large scale production, which would be pretty cool.
Yeah, a slaved output would certainly be convenient in that regard. Perhaps the best model is, like the AAI structures, to separate the control, input, and output components from each other: a device that reads and writes the machine, and separately something that controls those "dumb" terminals. I've no idea the difference that'd make, since I assume most of the cost is in interactions with the signal system -- it so often seems to be -- so I guess something akin to a configurable "network" ID or something to slave them.

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arbarbonif »

For some reason I'm getting a complaint from the logistics network that the crafting combinator is missing a what appears to be a blank blueprint. It might be due to not having bots when I placed the blueprint for it initially, or something? It went away when I ran a ghost deconstruction planner over it. And new placements don't have it now, but picking up the initial combinators didn't make it go away.

Seems to still work just fine tho. That was... weird.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

arbarbonif wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:46 pm
There are quite a few hacks involved in how the mod handles blueprints, so it's quite possible that something went wrong. If you manage to replicate it, let me know and I'll have a look ;)

FYI: The "blank blueprint" is the hidden entity that stores the combinators' settings in blueprints. It shouldn't ever happen that there is a ghost of it left tho, unless I fucked something up... At least they should be completely harmless.

Return to “Mods”