[MOD 0.14.2] Wireless Charging

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.2] Wireless Charging

Post by Philip017 »

mknejp wrote:
Philip017 wrote:hello, im trying to use your latest version 3.3 and put it in my power armor and it does nothing? bug maybe?
You have to wear the armor and be standing on a charging station/rail.
i build hp floor charging station, insured it was plugged in, had the power armor on, even removed it and put it back on, mk2 battery never charged.

works fine in the train.

now i just run my train off fusion power core, never need power again.

but main reason i want this mod to work in power armor is because i use lots of roboports, and even with 3 reactors and 4 batteries, i can kill them pretty fast planting lots of trees or laying lots of concrete with my 8 roboports, i was hoping that this i could lay down on ground and just use my base power to make much faster charging, but it doesn't seem to be working

mknejp
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mknejp »

Philip017 wrote:i build hp floor charging station, insured it was plugged in, had the power armor on, even removed it and put it back on, mk2 battery never charged.
Are you sure it didn't charge at all or just very slowly? How fast charging can be is determined by the lowest rate of the participants, so a high power station requires a high power coil to reach maximum transfer rate.
Philip017 wrote:now i just run my train off fusion power core, never need power again.
An obvious consequence of having an infinite and completely unbalanced power supply.
Philip017 wrote:but main reason i want this mod to work in power armor is because i use lots of roboports, and even with 3 reactors and 4 batteries, i can kill them pretty fast planting lots of trees or laying lots of concrete with my 8 roboports, i was hoping that this i could lay down on ground and just use my base power to make much faster charging, but it doesn't seem to be working
Which only proves my point that people really just don't want to bother with powering their armor.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

mknejp wrote: Are you sure it didn't charge at all or just very slowly? How fast charging can be is determined by the lowest rate of the participants, so a high power station requires a high power coil to reach maximum transfer rate.
i have hp coil in armor and hp floor station, when train is charging the out of power icon goes away, and battery's charge,
when i stand on floor coil the out of power icon continues to flash like it doesn't see me at all.

i think this has something to do with the missing transformer coils, because the vehicles require these and i can not even put one in my power armor..??

mknejp
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mknejp »

Philip017 wrote: i have hp coil in armor and hp floor station, when train is charging the out of power icon goes away, and battery's charge,
when i stand on floor coil the out of power icon continues to flash like it doesn't see me at all.
Hm I'm really guessing now because I have no clue what's going on but are you standing right in the middle of the platform? If the answer is yes then I honestly don't know. I'd have to investigate in which case having our save available would be a big help.
Philip017 wrote:i think this has something to do with the missing transformer coils, because the vehicles require these and i can not even put one in my power armor..??
Transformers aren't part of this mod.

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

The "Low power induction station" doesn't work for me either.
No matter where I put it, the red "no electricity"-Icon is always blinking and nothing charges up in my armor.

My personal guess would be that it's because it has both "Maximum input" and "Maximum output" at 0, which I find strange. But then again, I don't know how this mod works.
All I can say is that the charging station doesn't connect to the electricity grid at all and thus doesn't charge anything.
And yes, I do have a "low power induction coil" in my armor.

Edit:
I just got an Electric Car. Charges with the Lower power induction station without problem. So the station simply does not detect the player entity and/or the "low power induction coil" in the armor.

Lezreth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lezreth »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or even something that can be changed. I put a high voltage transformer, 3 high power induction coils, and a couple of batteries in the electric train, placed 4 high power induction rails at a train stop (for testing purposes). When I manually stop the train in the right spot, 3 of the coil sets couple as expected per what your mod description states is capable. However when I tell the train to go to the station, only 2 of the coils are in range and couple. Is this an alignment issue? If this is intended functionality, it seems rather pointless to be able to put 3 coils in a train if they wont couple when it stops at a station.

Edit: I did some more testing and expanded the train. I initially tested it with just one locomotive. I turned it into a L-CCCC-L train and put 4 coils in each locomotive and laid 4 induction tracks under the area where each end stopped. The rear locomotive couples with 3 of the 4 coils as expected, but the front locomotive only couples with the 2 middle coils. The first coil, taking the place of the track piece that the station attaches to flashes red, and the fourth coil flashes as well. By looking at the alignment of where the train stopped, I would expect it to couple with the first 3, starting with the tile the train station is attached to, as this is mostly covered by the head of the locomotive.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

2 is the maximum of coils you can reliably get for ever locomotive/wagon. From the stop backwards it should connect with 2-3-2-3-...
I have yet to find a reason to use even 2 HiPower Coils though.

Locomotives are visually stretched forward way over their pickup and collision box.
You can see this a lot with L-L Pax stations.
2016-10-07-07-25-56-1379183.jpg
2016-10-07-07-25-56-1379183.jpg (105.35 KiB) Viewed 7298 times

mknejp
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mknejp »

The sprites of the locomotives are bigger than the area they cover in terms of game mechanics. So yes unfortunately the first locomotive of the train only reliably connects to two stations, the second to three and then it repeats. That's simply because a car is 6 tiles long, but there is a gap between wagons and the locomotive stops covering half of the front-most track, making the repeating entity of a train 7 tiles long, but tracks have 2 tiles, so only every other wagon lines up at a track boundary. I noticed this problem very early in development but still can't find a reliable solution.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

i am not sure if this would work, or even if you could do it, but i have seen mods that allow overlap between tiles

like power poles where it covers an area larger than the pole it's self

not sure if it is possible to allow the induction area to cover 4 tiles though the track it self only consumes 2 tiles?

if overlap was possible 4 low power stations could be placed together and get power from them all, when standing in the middle of them?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Philip017 wrote:i am not sure if this would work, or even if you could do it, but i have seen mods that allow overlap between tiles

like power poles where it covers an area larger than the pole it's self

not sure if it is possible to allow the induction area to cover 4 tiles though the track it self only consumes 2 tiles?

if overlap was possible 4 low power stations could be placed together and get power from them all, when standing in the middle of them?
I'm charging battle trains full with shields and laser turrets and outpost builder cars full with roboports with a single hi-power coil. what possible scenario needs even more than 1 coil?
Calculating overlap would drop UPS for no noticeable benefit. Power pole coverage is hardcoded and only checks if something is in coverage of network x.

Cyrlynx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cyrlynx »

Hello everyone,

This mod don't work with my saved game.
Like some other, when I build any kind of charging station, it keeps blinking red.

Works fine when I create a new game though.

I tried to save with the mod, then I delete it, and reload ... With all my other mod on or off.

Nothings works :cry:

Can you please help?

edit:
Finally I had two workaround:
- With one backup of my save I downloaded the 'electric vehicle' and its 'lib',
without touching anything else the charging station from your 'Wireless charging' mod where able to charge perfectly? :shock:
Then I disabled these vehicle mod.

- With another backup I simply removed my powerarmor With and induction coil inside,
And this worked... :o
I had to replace any vehicle equiped with induction coil to make them charge.
Can you had some code to refresh whatever dictionnary need to be refresh in a saved game?

Bizobinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bizobinator »

Hullo!

So, I added the electric vehicle mod a bit back, but only now realized I needed this one too :P. I added the wireless charging mod & library, but the research doesn't even show up in the tech choice area.

Do I have to start a completely new game? D:

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Scanning for matching coils seems to take noticeable UPS time.
This is on a small yard for 4 trains with ~15 fast charging rails.
2016-11-15-14-33-16-6913536.jpg
2016-11-15-14-33-16-6913536.jpg (20.1 KiB) Viewed 7129 times
For my big bases I am using fusion reactors or base locomotives.

Jaque_Thay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jaque_Thay »

I'm also finding that the wireless charging doesn't work.

I started off with just your Electric Vehicles and Electric Vehicles Lib mods (It's been a weird week - I remember wanting to install Wireless Charging and Wireless Charging Lib too but must have forgotten to actually do so) and got to the vehicles stage. Built a few electric trains and added high voltage transformers and batteries to them and was wondering why nothing happened when I thought to check if Wireless Charging (and lib) were installed. They weren't, so I installed them, did the extra research for Inductive Power Transfer and High Power Induction and built some low and high power induction coils, plus rail versions.

For the ground versions, when disconnected from the power network they have the flashing yellow triangle 'unplugged' sign - but when you give them power this changes to the red lightning bolt triangle indicating they are out of power and does not power the train - or my armour.

I tried starting a game with both sets of mods installed in case it was a problem related to installing Wireless Charging (and Lib) partway through an existing game but same issue.

I've confirmed via a portable solar panel that the High Voltage Transformer from Electric Vehicles can charge and can move a vehicle... so it would seem to be an issue with the Wireless Charging (and Lib) mod itself. If you've got any ideas on how to solve the issue, I'd appreciate them.

Bizobinator
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bizobinator »

Bizobinator wrote:Hullo!

So, I added the electric vehicle mod a bit back, but only now realized I needed this one too :P. I added the wireless charging mod & library, but the research doesn't even show up in the tech choice area.

Do I have to start a completely new game? D:

Wait, nm. Apparently they were just under a different research from what I expected :P.

DethBringa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DethBringa »

I added both wireless charging and electric vehicles.
Electric train works perfectly, Electric car will charge on both rails and station.
BUT, the induction coil will not charge batteries when in Power Armor. I have 1 HP induction which charges a MK2 battery in a few seconds in a vehicle but no amount of waiting charges the batteries when in armor.
Any ideas?

*EDIT*
Seems this has something to do with multiplayer. Charging works until someone joins the game.

SirWayNe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SirWayNe »

Got flashing red symbol over every wireless charging station. just did the following

Just modifed the Source with 2 lines. The problem (at least for not charging the coils to 100J capacity, was the limited input charge of "0W". this cant work properly, since it seems to not take "0W" as unlimited but rather as "0W". So i modified these lines:

entity.lua

local function make_station
-> energy_source =
{
type = "electric",
buffer_capacity = "100J",
usage_priority = "terciary",
-- Edited by SirWayNe 02.01.2016
input_flow_limit = "150W",
output_flow_limit = "0W"
-- input_flow_limit = "0W",
-- output_flow_limit = "0W"
},
local function make_rail_accumulator
-> energy_source =
{
type = "electric",
buffer_capacity = "100J",
usage_priority = "terciary",
-- Edited by SirWayNe 02.01.2016
input_flow_limit = "150W",
output_flow_limit = "0W"
-- input_flow_limit = "0W",
-- output_flow_limit = "0W"
},

Just testing this right away.

Working properly now. Version 0.14.21

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Two player game, added this mod in after a few hours in game, along with Electric Vehicles and the Libs for both.

Added the low-voltage charging coil to both player's armors
Placed a charging point. walked on it. works fine. other player walked on it. Game instantly desynced.

Edit:
Also, even with using only a single point, as soon as we save and reload, when the second person joins, it desyncs as well.
It also doesn't happen with Electric vehicles at all, so I think this mod is responsible.

Looks like an On_Load error, but a quick look isn't enough for me to figure out the cause.

Edit2:
Glad to see someone actually competent working on Modular Armor interfaces. I wrote that mod back before we had a lot of the event interfaces that would have made it easier, and really need to rewrite it at some point. It wasn't ever intended to work with vehicles, is hilariously inefficient, and never really worked the way I wanted it to.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

By Converting the On_Load functions to run On_Configuration_Change the desync is gone, and it runs fine, except for one part. You have to mine and re-place the charging pads, because they stop working each time you load.

Also, in the Lib, I wasn't sure if " rebuild_caches()" should go before or after the other two, but putting it after results in an error.

----

Now, I have determined that the caches get cleared whenever the game is saved, or something, not sure why, can't see a reason this would occur.
In single player, disabling the onload function causes this issue, as does putting it into on_config_changed. Presumably this is because it cleared the database and you had to rebuild it. Why this occurs every time you save, I don't yet know.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Did you try the dirty solution:

Add an on_tick handler in on_load and register in it all the actions you had in on load.
Then in that handler register the proper on_tick that you need.
Might work as expected guaranting the code to run during actual game tick not in a limited on_load event that shouldn't be doing any work.

Return to “Mods”