[MOD 0.13] VehicleVaulting 0.0.1

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 0.13] VehicleVaulting 0.0.1

Post by Qon »

• Name: VehicleVaulting
  • Description: Enter vehicles anywhere, at any time from your inventory without placing them first. Exiting picks it up again automatically.
  • Author: Qon
  • Factorio version: Tested in 0.13.17
  • License: GPLv3

Motivation and Qoncept

I got tired of placing down the vehicle, filling it with ammo and fuel, then entering and driving for a while until you need to walk for a bit and then have to mine the vehicle or remember where you left it. This mod adds a hotkey that instantly makes you vault into the last vehicle you exited if it's in your inventory, or a vehicle in your cursor instead. With fuel, ammo and all inserted automatically. If you are close to rails then you will vault into a locomotive. And if you run while doing your vault you get a running start with the vehicle already going at your running speed immediatly!

It's supposed to be a wild mix of Vehicle Wagon, Autofill and Transformers? It's meant to make vehicles more fun and slightly better. I am considering automating the control of the machine gun or something while you use the tank cannon or similar small QoL buffs. There are mods for explicitly buffing vehicles if that is what you want. VV should work with other vehicle mods. Maybe won't work correctly if you try to vault modded new types of trains though.

Trains: You can vault in and out of vanilla diesel-locomotive if it's a single one with no other connected wagons or locos. In the future you might be able to vault entire trains. Not sure if it's a good feature or not yet. You can't stand ON the rail when vaulting in, you need to stand on the side of it, about where you end up when exiting it.

The vault key is ENTER by default. If you change it to something else then you should be able to enter and exit vehicles normally without vaulting with ENTER and vault into and out of vehicle with your choses vault key.

It's an early proof of qoncept. :idea:
Not everything is implemented yet. If you want to try this out prepare to lose your vehicles and everything you put into them. Don't save after using it if you don't like that. The code isn't feature complete yet.
Don't send bug reports telling me you lost some items at this stage.
  • What do you think about the idea? Is it worth pursuing and making a full mod out of this?
  • Any ideas for the mod? Feature requests,
  • What do you think about the name? A vault is a kind of jump. And vault can also refer to the inventory I guess.
Please only download if you want to help me by providing feedback. It's not ready for public release yet.
Attachments
VehicleVaulting_0.0.1.zip
Read OP before downloading. Only download if you are going to provide feedback.
(14.02 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Last edited by Qon on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13] VehicleVaulting 0.0.1

Post by Adil »

Qon wrote:It's supposed to be a wild mix of Vehicle Wagon, Autofill and Transformers?
I am more reminded of this.
Maybe a timeout should be added for the case, when you get your current vehicle destroyed. Otherwise the battles with biters will get silly.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Adil wrote:
Qon wrote:It's supposed to be a wild mix of Vehicle Wagon, Autofill and Transformers?
I am more reminded of this.
Maybe a timeout should be added for the case, when you get your current vehicle destroyed. Otherwise the battles with biters will get silly.
Hmmm, maybe. It sounds like a good idea. But I was thinking that it would always use the vehicle with the most health when vaulting in. So you could just vault out and then back in again before it breaks and the cooldown would be almost completely made inqonsequential.

And the whole point of the mod is that jumping in and out of your vehicle should be so easy that you can do it at any time. If you can do it while in battle then that proves it works. But just like autofill can be used for qonvinience or "cheating", I think it might be up to the player how they want to use it and not me. If you use autofill for turrets and burners and stuff when not in battle then no one would say that it is cheating. If you run around placing turrets inside enemy bases then some would say it's OP. But you can just avoid using it in a way that you think detracts from your experience. Someone made a mod that makes it impossible to place turrets close to enemy nests, and then autofill would be just qonvinience. You could do something similar with VV. But maybe players wants to abuse it? I think it's more fun to run towards a nest and vault into my tank and just slide through the enemy base than using the vehicles normally, even if it makes combat fairly easy.

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

I saw your question on my (madmaster5000's) tank gun mod page and for some reason couldn't post back. So here's your answer.

The tank gun mod does not support all car types as ammo. The reason being is that a gun can only use an "ammo" type item as ammunition. The "tank" item that places the actual tank on the ground is just a regular "item" type item. To get around this, there is a separate "ammo" type item in the mod called "tank-launcher-ammo". This ammo is crafted from 1 tank, 1 rocket, and 5 solid fuel and stacks to 20. The "tank-launcher-ammo" can't be used to place a tank directly, and can only be used to fire a tank from your tank launcher.

I could make the mod support all car types, modded and otherwise, but to do that I would have to make my mod loop through all "car" type prototypes in the game, find the item that places them, and then generate a new ammo that shoots that type of car and a recipe to craft that ammo. Not that tough, but I don't think the added complexity is worth it to the player to have 20 different types of tank ammo lying around because all these modified tanks will still basically behave the same as other vehicle projectiles.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Ok. Well yeah if you have to make ammo-vehicles then it's not worth doing that for every mod vehicle.

Return to “Mods”