Topics and discussion about specific mods
Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant

Post by Veden »

Musil wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:55 pm
How quickly would you want them to adapt?
Should be variable, depending on some difficulty preset.

But suppose if they send two waves and they do very little damage each to non-wall structures, the next wave would include biters with some resistances to the most common causes of deaths in the preceding wave.

But, there'd have to be some trade-offs, that is, the biter properties ( speed, damage, %DR, the flat DT to various damage types) ought to be limited, so no biter of certain size could be 'too good'. You know, like a point system for RPG characters.

Maybe, if biters get beaten badly, randomly generating a dozen new enemy types with new point distribution, and then seeing which ones survive the longest/do the most damage. Then the most successful biter types would be produced more by the nests.
The biggest problem is you have to pre-generate all of the units.

I have some of this except the adapting to a specific type of damage. Currently the faction system will mutate into the various different factions which mixes and matches the various strengths and weaknesses over time.

Musil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Musil »

You can't change unit properties after game start, add or remove resistances ?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Musil wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:52 pm
You can't change unit properties after game start, add or remove resistances ?
You can't - all unit prototypes need to be created in data load phase.
So you'd need to have pre-prepared biter with each set of resistances you might want for each biter type.

Kiu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kiu »

Something went very wrong with the newest release...
There are alot of invisible indestructible spawners in 0.17.29. Health is shown as "100", but no weapon can damage then (no hitbox?)
And the sizing on the map is extremly oversized (at least I think it is, or there are alot of other things I can't see/mark/hit)
Attachments
Invisible "things"
Invisible "things"
2019-12-16 16_48_17-Factorio 0.17.79.png (1.71 MiB) Viewed 8685 times
Giant "enemy" markers on map
Giant "enemy" markers on map
2019-12-16 16_48_02-Factorio 0.17.79.png (78.43 KiB) Viewed 8685 times

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Kiu wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:57 pm
Something went very wrong with the newest release...
There are alot of invisible indestructible spawners in 0.17.29. Health is shown as "100", but no weapon can damage then (no hitbox?)
And the sizing on the map is extremly oversized (at least I think it is, or there are alot of other things I can't see/mark/hit)
Please post your save file.

Kiu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kiu »

Updated the bug report in the mod portal...

Kiu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kiu »

Tnx for the fix :D

About the "Biter faction color should match map color now" change.
Is it possible to add an option to have the old "red-only" style?

Especially with Alien-Binomes, Bobs and even the base game its hard to see the difference between enemies and oil patches, snow, ore, forgotten buildings (more annoying ruins mod, because its almost impossible to find them on the map anymore) and other elements.
Attachments
Find the oil patch, the furnace, the 3 wall elements and the 5 water holes ;-)
Find the oil patch, the furnace, the 3 wall elements and the 5 water holes ;-)
2019-12-18 19_59_34-Factorio 0.17.79.png (98.31 KiB) Viewed 8591 times

cantina_fly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cantina_fly »

Hi,

Returning player looking for some help sorting my AI/Biter mods. I played a vanilla game of .17 when it was released for reference and then went back to full Angle/Bob with most of AAI Vehicles and normal QoL mods (Squeak through, etc...) I also added Rampant (+ Arsenal) and NE during this last round of modding and was quite enjoying it. I stared the game today, updated everything, and loaded my last save to see a note about compatibility with Bob's Enemies and NE that quickly faded.

I came here and saw the 12/15/19 patch notes under Framework about compatibility with these two mods, but I can't seem to locate a list of "what changed" or why. My last save had both NE and Rampant enemies enabled so I'm trying to sort out for me new game do I:

1. Disable Bob's Enemies and NE
2. Disable the Rampant factions and leave Bob and NE in place
3. Play with an older version of Rampant in the hopes Bob and NE release updates compatible with the recent changes

I really enjoyed the AI changes with Rampant that added significant "Tower Defense" to my factory simulator and just want the largest variety of enemies reasonably feasible.

Thanks.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

Kiu wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:03 pm
Tnx for the fix :D

About the "Biter faction color should match map color now" change.
Is it possible to add an option to have the old "red-only" style?

Especially with Alien-Binomes, Bobs and even the base game its hard to see the difference between enemies and oil patches, snow, ore, forgotten buildings (more annoying ruins mod, because its almost impossible to find them on the map anymore) and other elements.
I prefer the blending, but to each their own.

Should be a setting in the mod settings.
cantina_fly wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:07 pm
Hi,

Returning player looking for some help sorting my AI/Biter mods. I played a vanilla game of .17 when it was released for reference and then went back to full Angle/Bob with most of AAI Vehicles and normal QoL mods (Squeak through, etc...) I also added Rampant (+ Arsenal) and NE during this last round of modding and was quite enjoying it. I stared the game today, updated everything, and loaded my last save to see a note about compatibility with Bob's Enemies and NE that quickly faded.

I came here and saw the 12/15/19 patch notes under Framework about compatibility with these two mods, but I can't seem to locate a list of "what changed" or why. My last save had both NE and Rampant enemies enabled so I'm trying to sort out for me new game do I:

1. Disable Bob's Enemies and NE
2. Disable the Rampant factions and leave Bob and NE in place
3. Play with an older version of Rampant in the hopes Bob and NE release updates compatible with the recent changes

I really enjoyed the AI changes with Rampant that added significant "Tower Defense" to my factory simulator and just want the largest variety of enemies reasonably feasible.

Thanks.
If you want the alien artifacts from NE or Bobs, those should come through for Rampant's new enemies by having those mods enabled.

If you want to see NE or bobs enemies, disable Rampant's new enemies.

If you want to see Rampant's new enemies, toggle the mod setting in Rampant.

At the moment, I have no plans to add compatibility. This mod takes enough of my time without having to try to keep it in sync or incorporate others mods.

Glad you have enjoyed the mod.

cantina_fly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cantina_fly »

Veden wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:46 am

At the moment, I have no plans to add compatibility. This mod takes enough of my time without having to try to keep it in sync or incorporate others mods.

Thanks but I didn't mean you! Maintaining one complicated mod is enough for any sane person. I meant if other mod authors wanted to make their enemies work with Rampant again. And Rampant wasn't always a favorite mod. The first few times I played it was a frustrating mess until I adapted my play style. I actually use my entire starting iron patch making mostly ammo.

Keep up the good work. :)

Kiu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kiu »

Veden wrote:

I prefer the blending, but to each their own.

Should be a setting in the mod settings.
Thanks, you rock :-)

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

cantina_fly wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:26 pm
Veden wrote:

Thanks but I didn't mean you! Maintaining one complicated mod is enough for any sane person. I meant if other mod authors wanted to make their enemies work with Rampant again. And Rampant wasn't always a favorite mod. The first few times I played it was a frustrating mess until I adapted my play style. I actually use my entire starting iron patch making mostly ammo.

Keep up the good work. :)
Thanks always appreciate a kind word.

Totally understood about mod compatibility.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

Just as a question - is there any timeplan for 0.18? I am restarting a megabase project and I seriously do NOT want to start without Rampant ;) Anyone any success just updating the reference file so it starts under 0.18?

Amazing job with this Mod - seriously the developers should integrate this as advanced feature into the base game.

RuZZone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RuZZone »

TheTom wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:14 am
Just as a question - is there any timeplan for 0.18? I am restarting a megabase project and I seriously do NOT want to start without Rampant ;) Anyone any success just updating the reference file so it starts under 0.18?

Amazing job with this Mod - seriously the developers should integrate this as advanced feature into the base game.
Updated to 0.18.1 in my GitHub fork of original repo. Not approved by author yet, but seems to work. You can try.

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheTom »

18.3 seems to have been made but not pushed yet and there seems to be some build confusion.

As per https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Rampant 18.3 was released, but as per https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Rampant/downloads it still is 17.32

;) Thanks for that. I think that concludes my needed mods to start new mega map. Some stuff is missing in research etc. but that is very endgame and with bobs that is weeks away ;)

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

Is there any way to make biters _only_ attack at night? I.e. biters spawn during day from pollution, then all attack at once at night? Possibly in waves if too much pollution accumulated?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Molay wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:38 pm
Is there any way to make biters _only_ attack at night? I.e. biters spawn during day from pollution, then all attack at once at night? Possibly in waves if too much pollution accumulated?
That reminds me of another mod: Nightfall
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Nightfall
I have never used it, and don't know whether the option to only attack at night is compatible with Rampant, but you can try :-)

Tampa_Gamer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Great mod, I really cannot play Factorio without it and I hope the Factorio team eventually incorporates some of these improvements into vanilla. Until then I will continue to use this fantastic mod.

One question, I recently started a new game after about 6-9 months away, and I noticed the biters are spawning within a chunk or two of the walls without a spawner within 5-6 chunks. Is this intentional? If so, I feel this is takes away from the strategic element of eliminating nests and I would suggest it also be an optional feature. I have a very small mod list (Rampant, EVO_GUI, Far Reach, Bullet Trails and Renamer) so if its a bug I don't think any of the others would cause this.

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

Hello Veden,

I was asked to link a bug report here, so that's what I will do.

Link to original bug report: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Rampant/d ... 000baaec4d
Following the style of Drake Hawkins' Youtube videos, I started up a game of Factorio with the Rampant mod. I play with the wave difficulty scaling on 3x to make the game extra hard. I hadn't noticed problems before, but in this run, I was 2hrs30m into the game, there was no evidence of any base expansion or more than minimal raids by biters. My settings are otherwise fairly standard, my mods inoffensive, and my pollution level was at 21%.

Drake is also experiencing a complete lack of heavy attacks on his current series. He's on experimental, I'm not. I'm on Factorio 0.17.79. Therefore I suspect this is a bug with the mod.

Savefile: https://gofile.io/?c=oYFoVG
Modlist: https://imgur.com/a/T1EUoFO

I hadn't cleared out any bases myself by this point. Touring round the enemy bases shows no activity beyond what the map would have started with. (By the way, base frequency is at 133% and base size is at 75%.)
Cheers

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

adding this to map caused immediate desync. out of curiosity, what is causing so many of these problems?

Return to “Mods”