[MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Stakhanov
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.16.34

Post by Stakhanov »

Very nice progress with this mod. I had previously tried it solo but the save got outdated. This week we tried a coop deathworld / railworld with rampant biters , and ended up outright losing to them. While we were puzzled at the lack of attacks early on (probably due to pollution being absorbed by trees) claiming resource nodes was a struggle. Then they started distracting us attacking our perimeter defenses. As our coal supply dwindled , we grew desperate and tried to claim oil fields for energy. But the bugs had other plans , and kept swarming our outpost and eventually overran it and killed us. We didn't rush military tech so the fight was fairly hopeless from then on , with big biters following us to our base.

Epic experience , my favorite mod by far.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.17+] Rampant - 0.16.36

Post by ZombieMooose »

I have a speculative question. I know there will be a lot of work necessary when 0.17 comes out, but what features so you anticipate you'll be able to add or change with its release?
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

An in-game visualizer for pheromone spread, please? :)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

ZombieMooose wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:55 am
I have a speculative question. I know there will be a lot of work necessary when 0.17 comes out, but what features so you anticipate you'll be able to add or change with its release?
From this list viewtopic.php?f=34&t=61239&p=388106&hil ... og#p388106

These are the things that I feel are relevant that are coming in 0.17, there most likely will be more:
  • Added "stop" AI command, which tells the unit to just stop moving where it is. Takes a "ticks_to_wait" parameter, after which it returns to normal.
  • Added UnitPrototype::ai_settings, which allows overriding default biter behavior.
  • Added ticks_to_wait parameter to wander ai command.
  • Added EnemySpawnerPrototype::min_darkness_to_spawn and max_darkness_to_spawn.
  • EnemySpawnerPrototype::result_units now supports any type of entity.
  • Added rotation_speed value to Unit prototype.
  • Added DamageType::hidden.
  • Added UnitPrototype::affected_by_tiles.
  • Added LuaEntity::clone().
  • Added LuaSurface::clone_area().
  • Added LuaSurface::clone_entities().
  • Added "on_ai_command_completed" event, which can be used to detect command completion and failure/success.
  • Added "pathfind_flags" parameter to "go_to_location" AI command.
  • Added "radius" and "wander_in_group" parameters to "wander" AI command.
  • Added "radius" parameter to "go_to_location" AI command.
  • Added "loot" to the on_entity_died event.
  • Added LuaForce::evolution_factor_by_pollution, evolution_factor_by_time, and evolution_factor_by_killing_spawners read/write.
  • Added runtime editable speed attribute to Unit.
  • Added LuaAISettings::destroy_when_commands_fail. When true, units will be destroyed when repeatedly failing to execute commands.
  • Added LuaAISettings::allow_try_return_to_spawner. When true, units will try to return to a spawner when they are idle.
  • Added LuaAISettings::do_separation. When true, units will try to separate themselves from nearby friendly units.
  • Added LuaEntity::moving. Returns true if the unit is moving.
  • Added on_unit_group_created, on_unit_added_to_group, and on_unit_removed_from_group events.
As for new features, what are you wanting to see?

Some things like the unlocked unit spawners, you could have things like a nest that creates worm turrets or other nests.

So then you could have a single main hive structure. Although it would be possible to do that now, just with more scripting.

I imagine the precision of commands getting better.

Most of the stuff is under the hood type things. The destroy_when_commands_fail being able to be shut off means I wont have unit groups dissolving when they fail to make a path.

Things like non-homing projectiles will be in vanilla now. So I expect to be removing some code as well.
BlueTemplar wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:00 am
An in-game visualizer for pheromone spread, please? :)
As much as I would love to, I have no clue how it would be accomplished.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Hmm, I thought that the new Script rendering would work on the map too, but now I'm not so sure ?

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

I guess what I would like, though beyond the scope of this mod would be a realistic way to harvest and research bitters. Studying their anatomy to make weaponry to better combat them or create pheromones to control them.

Something like Necromant but more integrated with Rampant.

Beyond that though what do you think the reduced number of damage types would do to your mod forces? Would you need to script them back in or do away with them altogether?
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

ZombieMooose wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:12 am
I guess what I would like, though beyond the scope of this mod would be a realistic way to harvest and research bitters. Studying their anatomy to make weaponry to better combat them or create pheromones to control them.

Something like Necromant but more integrated with Rampant.

Beyond that though what do you think the reduced number of damage types would do to your mod forces? Would you need to script them back in or do away with them altogether?
For the time being I will probably leave the damage types in, 0.17 still supports mod added damage types.

The harvest part is the hardest part, how do you automate loot.

The closet I have come to doing something like necromant is with an oil like resource found under biter nests.

Rampant Arsenal has some code written already for some of these mechanics, they have not be turned on however.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

I think he adds a corpse drop trigger. Kinda like Schaller Alien Loot.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

ZombieMooose wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:12 am
I think he adds a corpse drop trigger. Kinda like Schaller Alien Loot.
Yes, you can use loot tables for units for drops or the on_entity_death if the loot tables isn't enough.

The problem I see is having a massive quantity of stuff on the ground to pickup.

I have written an item collector mod, but I feel that isn't enough.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Dunno if there's a way to integrate a percentage chance. Like only 1% of corpses are usable for anything.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

ZombieMooose wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:05 am
Dunno if there's a way to integrate a percentage chance. Like only 1% of corpses are usable for anything.
You can set probabilities on the loot tables

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

ZombieMooose wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:05 am
Check out https://mods.factorio.com/mod/alien-module

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

I don't really like the idea of aliens dropping ore. I much prefer processing corpses for bones and meat and stuff.

Just a personal preference.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

pato
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pato »

the new Spitters are way to strong because they outrange gun turrets.

im playing on a game with vanilla weapons only and if you utilize all 3 turrets it is usually enough to hold off biter waves BUT when the inferno, laser and wasp spitters come they outrange gunturrets making the whole defense completly useless. i dont know if there are other outranging spitters

Please nerf spitters range below 13 so they stop outranging gun turrets so i dont need rediculous turret mods

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

pato wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:42 am
the new Spitters are way to strong because they outrange gun turrets.

im playing on a game with vanilla weapons only and if you utilize all 3 turrets it is usually enough to hold off biter waves BUT when the inferno, laser and wasp spitters come they outrange gunturrets making the whole defense completly useless. i dont know if there are other outranging spitters

Please nerf spitters range below 13 so they stop outranging gun turrets so i dont need rediculous turret mods
Please look into the mod settings and adjust the spitter range scaler to your liking.

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

ZombieMooose wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:24 am
I don't really like the idea of aliens dropping ore. I much prefer processing corpses for bones and meat and stuff.

Do you have any idea about the ratios you would want to see?

for corpse to meat, bone, and blood?

Are you looking for the corpse components to be able to build unique item or supplement a resource like stone?

If they only drop 1%, how much of the above do they need to produce to be useful?
BlueTemplar wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:20 am
This should be perfect then :p
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/TheyreMadeOutofMeat
This makes lots of things to pick up, I would prefer to have a limited amount to pickup or something like a resource that can be mined.

pato
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pato »

which settings do i need to change and how can i change them without starting a new game?

Veden
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Veden »

pato wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:30 pm
which settings do i need to change and how can i change them without starting a new game?
Main Menu -> Options -> Mod Settings -> Spitter Range Scaler.

Change the value from 1 to something like 0.80 to reduce all spitter ranges by 20%

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Veden wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:29 pm
ZombieMooose wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:24 am

Do you have any idea about the ratios you would want to see?

for corpse to meat, bone, and blood?

Are you looking for the corpse components to be able to build unique item or supplement a resource like stone?

If they only drop 1%, how much of the above do they need to produce to be useful?
BlueTemplar wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:20 am
This should be perfect then :p
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/TheyreMadeOutofMeat
This makes lots of things to pick up, I would prefer to have a limited amount to pickup or something like a resource that can be mined.
I would say riddling a body full of bullets or nuking them wouldn't have many intact corpses left.

Maybe a low drop, but an option to create synthetic organs and military science.

Definitely used for weaponry to defeat them better thus your arsenal mod.

The synthetic option would be like Kovarex Enrichment where a certain amount of the corpses are needed but eventually its self sustainable. Making them viable for some kind of science output.

The recipe would have to be something where you'd have incentive to collect corpses occasionally so there isn't a lot hanging around, and so you don't ignore them completely cause you need to keep the system up.

Also maybe corpse processing has random chances of getting certain parts, to incentive collecting corpses for specific parts.

I remember they said in 0.17 military science was going to be its own separate thing, so it makes sense aliens would be somewhat necessary. But maybe a 5-10% would be more realistic. I'd imagine balancing would need to be worked on for something like this if it's tied to something as important as science production.

That said if it's required for science then a PvP without aliens would be impossible. Granted you could just not have the mod installed.

I'm rambling now lol
Last edited by ZombieMooose on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mods”