Topics and discussion about specific mods
SeelenJaegerTee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.14.x] SJT-DirtyOre

Post by SeelenJaegerTee »

Type: Mod
Name: Dirty Ore
Description: Adds dynamically created contaminated ores. Ore processing. More chemical plants and refineries. Features can be toggled with config file. Should work with (almost) all mod ores, conditional recipes if bobmods is present.
License: CC BY-NC 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/)
Version: 0.5.2
Release: 2016-08-14
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.13.15
Category: Item, SimpleExtension, Gameplay, Convenience
Tags: Resource, Ore, oil refinery, chemical plant, assembling machine
Download-Url: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/SeelenJa ... /downloads

Changelog:
  • Fixed a bug where when a trace deposit dropped to the minimum yield value an error occured.
  • changed info.json to work with 0.14 - let's hope that everything still works with the new version
  • fixed a bug in the generator indexing function

0.7.0: Feature complete. (original idea for production tree rework is impossible as i dynamically create my stuff, changed it in another way.)
  • added corrosion and environmental pollution when using waste-water in generators
  • added missing techs for higher tiers of chemical-plants and oil-refineries

• Rewrote the logic for item generation and ore spawning (now it should really duplicate the mined items, it is now compatible with liquid resources)
  • Added config option for localisation
Roadmap:
The only thing to do now is bug-squishing and perhaps re-balancing. 1.0.0 could in theory be released once I have my own graphics.
License
Long description
readme
Attachments
TraceOre.jpg
TraceOre.jpg (239.42 KiB) Viewed 9005 times
SJT-DirtyOre_0.5.2.zip
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 176 times
Last edited by SeelenJaegerTee on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.x] SJT-DirtyOre

Post by ZombieMooose »

Love the concept, but can you limit visibility of ores that don't spawn so there isn't a bunch of recipes that aren't relevant.

Also the names are their un localized names.

Cheers
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

SeelenJaegerTee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Could you elaborate on that:
diongham wrote:[...] of ores that don't spawn so there isn't a bunch of recipes that aren't relevant.
[...]
What mods are you using and what ore doesn't spawn?
It seems strange to me that a mod brings an ore that doesn't spawn.
Perhaps you could attach a screenshot?
[...]
Also the names are their un localized names.
Cheers
Yes as far as I can see there is nothing I can do about that.

To my knowledge it works the following way: Localised names are loaded after the entities are created. This means that when I am dynamically creating the ores the localised name is not yet added to the entity and because of this I can't read it to create my own localised name. For this reason I need to generate my localised name from the "raw-data-name" of the ore.
This is unfortunate and I'd like it to be different but - at least to my knowlede of how the game works - this is the only way I can do it.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

SeelenJaegerTee wrote:Could you elaborate on that:
diongham wrote:[...] of ores that don't spawn so there isn't a bunch of recipes that aren't relevant.
[...]
I'm just saying when I have Angel's installed, it also has recipes for Copper and Iron which don't spawn in the world, and you don't need the recipes.
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Found another bug.

Because you override the ore floatation cell (mk1,2,3) they cannot create Angel's recipes - nameley Sapharite Hydro Refining (to create Sapharite Chunks) and similar recipes which are necessary for higher tier bob's mods ores.

SeelenJaegerTee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

diongham wrote:
SeelenJaegerTee wrote:Could you elaborate on that:
[...]
I'm just saying when I have Angel's installed, it also has recipes for Copper and Iron which don't spawn in the world, and you don't need the recipes.
Added a blacklisting option in the config file to hide recipies you don't want.
diongham wrote:Found another bug.

Because you override the ore floatation cell (mk1,2,3) they cannot create Angel's recipes - nameley Sapharite Hydro Refining (to create Sapharite Chunks) and similar recipes which are necessary for higher tier bob's mods ores.
Should be fixed now.
My buildings now have different names.

Unfortunately the huge rewrites for the 0.6.0 version mean that migration is not within my limited capabilities.

[PS] I initially didn't account for an interaction between my mod and Angel's as it is totally beyond my why someone would want to use my mod when already using Angel's refining. I mean he already has his own infinite ore companion mod. But I guess more power to the peple.[/PS]

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Rad. I'll post a Angel's config when I can get on the computer.
SeelenJaegerTee wrote:[PS] I initially didn't account for an interaction between my mod and Angel's as it is totally beyond my why someone would want to use my mod when already using Angel's refining. I mean he already has his own infinite ore companion mod. But I guess more power to the peple.[/PS]
More complexity = more better :D

SeelenJaegerTee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x] SJT-DirtyOre

Updated to 0.14.
I just changed the required factorio version and fired up a new game and loaded a save game, seems to work.

SeelenJaegerTee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Fixed a bug where when a trace deposit dropped to the minimum yield value an error occured.

If this bug is occurring for you and you are still playing the .13 Version of factorio: Download the 0.7.3 version of my mod for Factorio .14. Then open the info.json file in my mod's folder. Change "factorio_version": "0.14" to "factorio_version": "0.13". This should work for you.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Still angels again: There's a bug where when angels is installed it doesn't allow you to research the techs required to process dirty and trace ores. Both versions still spawn though so you're left with chests full of dirty ore with nothing to do about it.

I wonder if it's an issue on their end? I'll contact Angel in the meantime and see if there is anything they can do.

EDIT: according to Angel it is an issue with your mod. I would love to see compatibility between the two if at all possible.
Last edited by ZombieMooose on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Usernm
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Usernm »

Oil patch shouldn't depleted, but your mod try to replace it with dirty wariant and everything fails.

id1740
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by id1740 »

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

a very nice addon, giving lots of ore, not for free, but having to build some big setup to handle the dirty ores.

some remarks and maybe a bug on the water and contaminated water :
(for the BUG, skip to the last paragraph after the second screenshot)

general fact: concentration units convert 5 water to 5 contaminated water, and the clarification plant does the opposite. thus those two machines can be combined to a loop that doesn't need more water, nor does it produce any surplus water.
since the concentration unit only needs 3/4 second per cycle (1 second x 0.75 crafting speed) one such machine converts 3.75 units of water in 5 seconds. the slower clarification plants need 5 seconds per cycle (5 seconds x 1.0 crafting speed) and thus we need 4 clarification plants for each concentration unit (in a bigger setup, we need only 15 clarification units instead of 16 for each 4 concentration units) to run the concentration units at max speed, using an endless loop for water which only has to be filled with some water in the beginning to start the process.

my first thought about that setup with five big machines: why do i have to use so many machines when i simply can destroy the contaminated water (eg with the usual method of piping it to a steam engine, maybe even using boilers on the dirtwater to power my orecleaning machines :-) but i didn't test that yet). i would have to refill fresh water, but with an offshore pump that would be easy and i would need only 1 big machine and some small other stuff. is my environmental conscience the only thing that keeps me from dumping wastewater?
EDIT: in the meantime, i have tried and failed : really nice that the contaminated water damages steam engines over time and thus I really have to clean the water ... unless i get too annoyed in the long run and simply use another mod that destroys any liquid :-) :-(
Maybe cleaning the water should be expensive, but not that expensive, taking almost 4 times as much effort, machines and space than concentrating the dirty ore ...

Another disadvantage of such a big setup to use the dirty ore: on my map, i had only one of each type of ore patch, and almost right from the beginning, there was some dirty coal (and other ores) among the normal coal/ore. i had to fix that manually by picking up the dirty coal and ore when they stopped my power generation and my first smelters. until i could use green science and had researched steel, oil production and oil handling, i already had some chests full of dirty coal and dirty ores. the technologies themselves for using the dirty ore are cheap and easy to research, but not before having researched a lot of other things, including a lot of oily stuff to make red circuits, etc ...
is there any way to not get dirty ore in the early game, or could the MK1 versions of the mod be changed so that they work purely mechanical (without need for doing the oil tree first) ? what about a MK0 version that allows simply washing the dirty ore (of course with lower amounts of cleaned ore than the current MK1) ?

next i just watched that setup, letting it run for some time and noticed that it lost water and i had to refill water from time to time. shouldn't the closed loop convert back and forth between fresh water and contaminated water with no loss (5 fresh -> 5 contaminated -> 5 fresh -> etc) ???

to check in detail, i set up the following loop (using 5 instead of 3.75 clarification plants since at first i had forgotten to include the crafting speed in my calculations), attaching nixies to my chests and the two buffer tanks (one each for fresh and contaminated water). I also added some combinators to start a counter and thus measure leakage per time. result: it takes around 8800 ticks until i have lost 500 water from the closed loop (roughly 3 water per second)
where is the leak ? are vanilla pipes and tanks leaking, or your machines ?
Test setup to find out how much water is leaked from a closed loop
Test setup to find out how much water is leaked from a closed loop
DirtyOre-Leak.PNG (302.22 KiB) Viewed 7981 times
the solution, what caused the problem: to do the above screenshot, i built the loop a second time at some free space on my map, and let it run ... and there was NO leakage! ... after trying a lot of things, i found the cause of the leak:
the cause of the bug
the cause of the bug
Dirtwater.PNG (67.6 KiB) Viewed 7981 times
The bug is, that there are two icons for contaminated water, one of them working properly with no leak, but when i select the other icon to start the clarification plant, the above leakage happens and i have to refill water all the time.
maybe the two icons have some reason, like two joined outputs or something, but as user it is impossible to see which icon should be used and that one of the icons has bad side effects.

StormTAG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by StormTAG »

Oddity: Using Bob's modules, the machines will only accept raw-speed, pollution creation and pollution reduction modules. Regular speed modules do not work, which is odd to me. I understand why productivity might not apply although I could understand equally arguments that it should ie. more effective scrubbing, etc. Although it would create water as magic.

Suggestion: If Angel's mods are enabled, rather than stone as a by-product, crushed stone would be a more appropriate byproduct to fit in with the rest of the chain.

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

Is this mod dead? I would love to see this updated for Angel's.

m23
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by m23 »

Is it posibile to make trace ore fintie?

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

ive updated this mod to v.16.

forum post:
viewtopic.php?f=190&t=64077

mod portal page:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SJT-DirtyOre-Remastered

Return to “Mods”