[MOD 0.17] HandyHands - Autocrafting - v1.2.2 ammo & pause

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13] HandyHands - Autocrafting - v1.2.2 ammo & pause

Post by Nexela »

Single Player World. Nothing Crafting. All hotbars locked to an item. and I think all were above the min stack requirement and/or I didn't have the raw mats.

I noticed this creative mode new world also just not as bad. Hovering at just under .1/tick (still pretty high though)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Nexela wrote:I noticed this creative mode new world also just not as bad. Hovering at just under .1/tick (still pretty high though)
0.1 is kind of the minimum if you do anything in the on_tick event. Just checking if the crafting queue is empty and then immediatly exiting when the size is > 0 is enough to get close to 0.1. And there's no events for most of the things I need to keep track of so it has to be on_tick. Running it every 30 ticks will break the pause functionality for all things that crafts in 0.5 seconds and make it unreliable for things with slightly longer craft times.

What needs to be done is more advanced sleeping. Some things don't need to run every 5 ticks while others do. If it's made more flexible then different parts of the mod can run with different frequencies and the frequencies could be changed on the fly when needed. Caching is maybe also a part of the solution. Queueing 2 items at a time will also make it less sensitive for longer pauses between the code execution.

Omez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Omez »

Qon wrote:
Omez wrote:I got the error running Factorio 0.13.17.
The error occurred when I died ingame (to alien mobs)
Tested emptying my inventory and toolbar and unbinding any items in toolbar slots.
Same fault, server crashes.
I've tried emptying all my inventories and unfiltering all slots and being killed by biters, all at once. No crash. I'm playing locally on windows 7. The code doesn't make any references to any local player explicitly though, and OS should not affect mod code at all. If the whole server application crashes then that's not the mods fault. All I'm doing at line 64 is checking crafting queue size anyways which should not be a problem for any player.

You should report to the Factorio devs with full crash log. When you do, link the bug report thread here so I can read it also!

Yeah I tried it locally too without any problems, it only happened on headless linux server.
I haven't had the time to debug it any further yet, but I'll probably look into it this weekend.
I'll update this thread with the bug report.

EnderTheXenocide
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by EnderTheXenocide »

I really like having this mod and appreciate your hard work.

Do you think that a GUI may be in this mod's future? I feel like it would be an investment that would solve some of the currently mentioned issues, while meeting all of the requests. I'm imagining something really similar to the upgrade planner mod, where you have an item on your cursor and drop it onto a designated space in the GUI, then set the craft quantity for that item.

Maybe if some of that functionality can be borrowed from another script, it wouldn't be as hard?

Thanks again for a really helpful mod.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

EnderTheXenocide wrote:I really like having this mod and appreciate your hard work. Thanks again for a really helpful mod.
Glad you like it.
EnderTheXenocide wrote: Do you think that a GUI may be in this mod's future? I feel like it would be an investment that would solve some of the currently mentioned issues, while meeting all of the requests. I'm imagining something really similar to the upgrade planner mod, where you have an item on your cursor and drop it onto a designated space in the GUI, then set the craft quantity for that item.

Maybe if some of that functionality can be borrowed from another script, it wouldn't be as hard?
I've used the GUIs in upgrade planner, auto trash, module inserter and so on. I think it's mostly a hassle.

Upgrade planner
Someone made a better upgrade planner (imo) that doesn't have a GUI, it just upgrades things to the next version. I've never needed to use the upgrade planner to convert blue belts to yellow belts anyway so far. And to convert yellow and red belts to blue belts I need to set both up in the GUI... that's just annoying. And it's not like I'm going to need to upgrade inserters to belt or anything crazy like that. The GUI is just another button cluttering up my screen and stealing my time.

Auto Trash
For auto trash I requested that the author removed the GUI. It's not needed. There's a setting "auto trash above requested amount". I can just request 0 of anything I want to autotrash of the things I don't want and so I never have to touch the AT GUI. Before I found that button I manually duplicated my logistics request slots into the AT GUI just to have everything requested removed if I got extra of anything. I don't use the new vanilla auto trash slots. With "auto trash above requested amount" and extra request slots I can do it all from one menu. I wish I didn't even have to set up that or carry any items. Which is why...

Factorio Vanilla Logistics Request slots
Right now I'm mostly playing with Creative Mode instant blueprint feature (requires no materials, places real items instead of ghosts, deconstruction planner deletes items instead of cluttering your inventory) + HandyHands in cheat_mode. I don't even have to set up request slots! Just mouse3 on an item on my quickbar, simplest way to decide possible except fully automatic. No numbers, no need to fiddle with any GUI. Creative Mode might get the old "test mode" mod feature that you can place items for free so you won't even need HH to refill items that aren't "ghost" placed.

Module Inserter
Module inserter also had a configuration GUI. I might install that mod again for some specific purposes when I need some megastructure changed. But it's just a hassle to configure that too. If I want PM3s in all slots possible for all michines, otherwise SM3 in all slots, why do I need to configure what module and what amount for every single machine individually? And then some assembly machines need SP3 instead of PM3 because their recipe can't take PM3. And then I have to change my AM3 configuration to contain 4xSP3 instead of 4xPM3 and mark the specific machines that can't have PM3 in them. And what if I want some EM3 in some machines instead? In 0.13 all of that was solved. I can have machines in many mixed configurations and just blueprint it. All machines will get the right modules and I don't have to fiddle with any settings at all.

HandyHands
Since a stack is usually what I want of each thing I made it so it just gives you items in stack fractions by default. Just filter and done. How often do you need to change the amount? I find that having a reasonable default (changed with empty cursor + I/K) is really all I need for most items and then I don't have to touch the hotkeys anymore. The system is smart enough to not require you to use the hotkeys for the most part in my experience. The act of filtering is often enough enough control. A GUI is unecessary. I think it is better without a GUI. Every single GUI setting system I've worked with so far has been improved by deleting it. And the mod GUIs are all beyond ugly, no scroll bars and so on because the GUI api is quite limited. To answer you question: Not a chance. q: 8-) ;)

But if someone else wants to write an independent mod that adds a GUI for HH it's possible and I will work with them to make sure the remote interface is up to par.
There are remote calls for getting the settings of a player and for setting new autocraft limits. Hasn't really been announced or tested yet though. But in principle you could write a separate GUI mod if you wanted to. Due to floating point number representation math.ceil(0.07*100) is 8 though and the numbers are only stored as stack size fractions in HH so that might give you some troubles. But I can change it so it works better if someone wants to use it.

EnderTheXenocide
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by EnderTheXenocide »

I see your point, the only issue I have is that I'm set in my ways of having certain items locked on the toolbar for the early game, and locking things that I wouldn't normally, like gears, circuits, and mining drills throws off my groove a little. Not a big deal, though.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Should I update the version number to 0.14 now? I'll do it soon I guess but I'm wondering if it's a hurry becasue everyone is using 0.14 or if it would annoy most people because they play 0.13 and if the mod got updated to 0.14 it would stop working with their 0.13 Factorio when they update. Because from what I've heard the auto updater downloads 0.14 mods to Factorio 0.13 and then refuses to run them.

How many have upgraded to 0.14 so far? I see people in other threads asking for 0.13 versions of mods. If you used 0.13 so far then I guess you don't have a big problem running the experimental version, so why not upgrade? Or are you waiting for all your mods to be updated to 0.14 before updating factorio?

It should only be the factorio version number in the info.json file that needs updating so it's not hard to fix. Some of you might even do this yourself.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Just needs the factorio_version changed for it to work on .14

Also you can upload to mod portal and anyone on .13.19 will get the last .13 version you uploaded and .14 will get .14 stuffs

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Nexela wrote:Just needs the factorio_version changed for it to work on .14

Also you can upload to mod portal and anyone on .13.19 will get the last .13 version you uploaded and .14 will get .14 stuffs
Ok, thanks Nexela! :)

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Nexela wrote:Just needs the factorio_version changed for it to work on .14

From what I can tell the mod portal only makes latest upload available... so if it's .14 version, any .13.x players won't be able to use mod portal (other than manual download and install).
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Just installed 13.19 and used the in game browser to install autofill. it correctly picked the .13 version and installed it.

Riffz711
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Riffz711 »

Qon wrote:
Omez wrote:

Code: Select all

126.825 Error MainLoop.cpp:698: Exception at tick 5650820: Error while running event on_tick (ID 0)
No crafting queue.
stack traceback:
        __HandyHands__/control.lua:64: in function <__HandyHands__/control.lua:46>
 126.825 Error MultiplayerManager.cpp:129: MultiplayerManager failed: "Error while running event on_tick (ID 0)
No crafting queue.
stack traceback:
        __HandyHands__/control.lua:64: in function <__HandyHands__/control.lua:46>"
 126.825 Info MultiplayerManager.cpp:1000: networkTick(6739) mapTick(5650820) changing state from(InGame) to(Failed)
^C 137.548 Received SIGINT, shutting down

Running on a headless linux server, just died on the server.
Even tried with no inventory, same happens. Running 1.2.3 of handyhands
That looks like a Factorio bug. It references the .cpp files. I know the older Factorio 0.13.x versions had a crash when handcraftning on GNU/Linux. I think you are running an old Factorio version. Update to 0.13.17 and that should solve it. Please verify.
I just ran into this in a multiplayer game with some friends. I was just hosting the game locally. It happened when a friend died to some biters. It happened a second time after we reloaded as well so it is reproducable. Finally I started the game up and died as the only person on the server and got the same error. Is there any update for what is causing this or how to avoid it? My friends stack trace is below mine is similar.

2534.600 Info NetworkInputHandler.cpp:608: assigning playerIndex(1) to peer(2)
2534.600 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:2669: MapTick(612977) processed PlayerJoinGame peerID(2) playerIndex(1) mode(connect)
2735.700 Error MainLoop.cpp:698: Exception at tick 624630: Error while running event on_tick (ID 0)
No crafting queue.
stack traceback:
HandyHands/control.lua:64: in function <HandyHands/control.lua:46>
2735.700 Error MultiplayerManager.cpp:129: MultiplayerManager failed: "Error while running event on_tick (ID 0)
No crafting queue.
stack traceback:
HandyHands/control.lua:64: in function <HandyHands/control.lua:46>"
2735.700 Info MultiplayerManager.cpp:1000: networkTick(13383) mapTick(624630) changing state from(InGame) to(Failed)

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

What version of factorio and what version of handyhands?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Riffz711 wrote:It happened a second time after we reloaded as well so it is reproducable. Finally I started the game up and died as the only person on the server and got the same error. Is there any update for what is causing this or how to avoid it?
No, I don't get any errors. What is your OS, Factorio version and HandyHands version?
If you are running the latest 0.13 factorio version and latest factorio version:
If it is reproducible, can you tell be the exact steps to reproduce the bug? Do these steps always work in any save file or just the this one?
Or send me your savefile if it is necessary to trigger the bug (also with steps to reproduce the bug).

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

It is probably a combination of lag/dying. Since it is a hard crash might be worth doing a bug report.

Riffz711
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Riffz711 »

Qon wrote:
Riffz711 wrote:It happened a second time after we reloaded as well so it is reproducable. Finally I started the game up and died as the only person on the server and got the same error. Is there any update for what is causing this or how to avoid it?
No, I don't get any errors. What is your OS, Factorio version and HandyHands version?
If you are running the latest 0.13 factorio version and latest factorio version:
If it is reproducible, can you tell be the exact steps to reproduce the bug? Do these steps always work in any save file or just the this one?
Or send me your savefile if it is necessary to trigger the bug (also with steps to reproduce the bug).
I was able to reproduce it by starting a new hidden multiplayer game on a world with max biters (everything at its highest value during world gen). I just ran towards the nearest biter nest and as soon as I died I got what I believe is the same error. I can confirm that it doesn't happen in single player (what I initially tried) but it seems to happen every time even on a map that has only been played for 1-2 minutes.

I am running factorio 0.13.20 build 24011 through steam.

I am running HandyHands 1.2.3

I am running windows 7 64 bit

I have disabled all other mods and verified that it happens with just the basegame mod and the handy hands mod.

If there is any other information that is useful please let me know.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

QON As a possible workaround for this set a stop var for the plaer on_player_pre_died and restore it in on_player_respawn? and in the on_tick return if stop

Just need this check at line 54
if p.controller_type == defines.controllers.ghost then return end

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Nexela wrote: Just need this check at line 54
if p.controller_type == defines.controllers.ghost then return end
Of course. I forgot that player death is handled differently in multiplayer mode. You get a nil character in local but a ghost in multiplayer. So I guess ghost mode isn't enabled in local mode because of the death screen or something. I can't do a lot of testing on my laptop but it shouldn't break anything so I'll upload it here. Have you checked that this solves the crash?
I didn't implement it exactly as you did because then HandyHands would stop for some other players when another player dies.
Riffz711 wrote:I was able to reproduce it by starting a new hidden multiplayer game on a world with max biters (everything at its highest value during world gen). I just ran towards the nearest biter nest and as soon as I died I got what I believe is the same error. I can confirm that it doesn't happen in single player (what I initially tried) but it seems to happen every time even on a map that has only been played for 1-2 minutes.
Thanks Riffz711. I'll be able to check this for myself later then. Hopefully 1.2.4 works (DL below). I can't do extensive verification at the moment, will add this version to portal later once it's confirmed to fix the bug.

Current priority list in order:
  • Serious bugs, crashes.
  • Update to 0.14.
  • Performance improvements.
  • Noise canceling.
  • Features and other things.
Most likely only bugfixes for crashes will be pushed to the Factorio 0.13 version of the mod. 1.2.x will stay at Factorio 0.13.x and HH v1.3.0 and above will continue to get updates for Factorio 0.14.x.

Edit:
Bug confirmed.
uploading fix to Portal...

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I didn't implement it exactly as you did because then HandyHands would stop for some other players when another player dies.
Sorry yes I did test it in a solo MP world :) But for some reason didn't think things through when I did the return end part glad you caught it.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Nexela wrote:Sorry yes I did test it in a solo MP world :) But for some reason didn't think things through when I did the return end part glad you caught it.
Don't apologise q:
I'm responsible for what I upload!

Code: Select all

Version     Game Version    Release Date	Downloads
1.3.0        0.14            4 hours ago	32
1.2.4        0.13            4 hours ago	16
4 hours later. Making a 0.14 release was a good idea, twice as many downloads of that version.

Return to “Mods”