[MOD 0.17] HandyHands - Autocrafting - v1.2.2 ammo & pause

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] HandyHands - Autocrafting - v1.2.2 ammo & pause

Post by Qon »

NeilN wrote:Any plans to update this for 0.16?
Mmmmm... yes. Plans to do so. I'll do it when 0.16 is stable I guess. (crosses fingers and hopes 0.16 isn't stable yet)
Last edited by Qon on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13] HandyHands - Autocrafting - v1.2.2 ammo & pause

Post by wvlad »

It works well in 0.16, just change info.json.

I have an addition to improve autocrafting speed, this measures time required to craft things and crafts in batches of 1.5 seconds instead of single item:

Code: Select all

local function get_result_count(recipe_prototype)
    if (#recipe_prototype.products==0) then return 0 end
    for _,p in pairs(recipe_prototype.products) do
        if p.amount then return p.amount end
    end
    return (recipe_prototype.products[1].amount_min+recipe_prototype.products[1].amount_max)/2
end

Code: Select all

-- "filter" here is our chosen item to craft.
                if filter ~= nil then
                    if p.cheat_mode == false then
                        local r = game.recipe_prototypes[filter]
                        local crafting_speed=1+p.force.manual_crafting_speed_modifier
                        local max_runs = math.ceil(1.5/(r.energy/crafting_speed))
                        local result_count = get_result_count(r)
                        local runs =  math.max(1,math.floor(
                                        math.min(max_filter-count_filter, max_runs*result_count) / result_count))
                        p.begin_crafting{count=runs, recipe=filter, silent=true}
                        data.current_job = filter
                    else
                        p.begin_crafting{count=(max_filter-count_filter), recipe=filter, silent=true}
                    end
                end

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

wvlad wrote:It works well in 0.16, just change info.json.
It thought they would rewrite the hotbar functionality to make it incompatible with earlier versions. I guess I'll have to update it soon then instead of delaying it further...
wvlad wrote:I have an addition to improve autocrafting speed, this measures time required to craft things and crafts in batches of 1.5 seconds instead of single item:
As long as it doesn't introduce any bugs I'll probably include it to reduce craft completion noise. ;)

Thanks for helping out!

MageKing17
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MageKing17 »

Qon wrote:It thought they would rewrite the hotbar functionality to make it incompatible with earlier versions.
That was deferred to 0.17. You're safe for another version. ;)

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Will there be a 0.17 version?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Well, I said I would make a 0.16 version. Apparently, I can't be trusted. But! On the bright side I'm promising a 0.17 version! ;)
It will be a bit more involved change and it might not be as good with the new hotbar. Might have to treat all slots as 'blue locked'. I'll have to check the new mod API and see if there's anything that can be used to make the mod as easy and seamless to use as before.

The fact that people still come here and request that I update it makes me want to actually get my stuff together and fix the thing. I'm glad people like it! 8-)

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

Really? Man, you had to change only info.json for 0.16 but you didn't. Now it's going to be even harder :D

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

I've updated it. Hopefully it works for everyone. Limited time means limited testing. But better than nothing (like the last 2 years) I guess.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Qon wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:17 pm
I've updated it. Hopefully it works for everyone. Limited time means limited testing. But better than nothing (like the last 2 years) I guess.
Thanks, will try when i come home!

How shuld it work?

Still place it in hotbar?

Same like before?

Ur Mod is one of the most important mods (atleast for me!)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

nuhll wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:34 am
How shuld it work?
Same like before?
Yes, just place on the quickbar and HandyHands will keep you supplied!
Thanks! It is for me too when playing the startup of vanilla Factorio. I'm so used to having infinite resources at my fingertips when I play with my megabase or on a creative mode map. I'm also using "Autobuild" for some limited type of copy-paste without construction bots and "Auto Research" because why not automate all the things?!

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:38 pm
How shuld it work?
Same like before?
Yes, just place on the quickbar and HandyHands will keep you supplied!
Thanks! It is for me too when playing the startup of vanilla Factorio. I'm so used to having infinite resources at my fingertips when I play with my megabase or on a creative mode map. I'm also using "Autobuild" for some limited type of copy-paste without construction bots and "Auto Research" because why not automate all the things?!
I tried it, can you please change it back like it was, that you need to set a amount before it auto crafts items?

I dont want to craft all in my toolbar, that doesnt maek sense...^^

Edit: okay u can change the default, thanks, but i would still suggest to make default to 0.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:19 pm
Edit: okay u can change the default, thanks, but i would still suggest to make default to 0.
I don't really see the point. There is a setting for it and the 'default default' setting is 0.5 stacks and the default is changed to 0 with 2 J presses. If you want it to default to 0 then you are 2 clicks away from it. :?

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:50 pm
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:19 pm
I don't really see the point. There is a setting for it and the 'default default' setting is 0.5 stacks and the default is changed to 0 with 2 J presses. If you want it to default to 0 then you are 2 clicks away from it. :?
Think about ppl dont know ur mod, tehy install your mod and then suddenly all their things in in toolbar gets crafted.

Idc, because i know what to do, but i guess most ppl will complain, wonder or remove the mod.

Im ok with it. But i think you should change it to 0 so nothing happens, only when ppl change it. Do you want that all your stuff in your toolbar gets auto crafted?

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:52 pm
Think about ppl dont know ur mod, tehy install your mod and then suddenly all their things in in toolbar gets crafted.
Well, it's hard for them to install the mod if they don't know about it though? If they install the mod it's probably because they want it. If they don't want it they shouldn't install.

But the mod is also automatically paused if you cancel any craft started by HandyHands. Which means that there is absolutely 0 chance that someone has their entire quickbar autocrafted without them knowing how to stop it. I thought about it 8-)
Idc, because i know what to do, but i guess most ppl will complain, wonder or remove the mod.
I've had 0 complaints unless you count people who are disappointed that I didn't update the mod quickly enough because they don't want to play without it. People love it. If they remove the mod because they don't like it then it is probably because they didn't want it in the first place. It's not like I lose anything if they uninstall. They get to enjoy the game without the mod and I get to enjoy the game with it, just like it should be. I'm not really interested in having everyone install the mod but never ever activate it. I want satisfied users, not satisfied non-users that just inflate my download count if they can be just as satisfied without the mod installed. :)
Im ok with it. But i think you should change it to 0 so nothing happens, only when ppl change it.
If you are ok with it then it's a bit weird that you worry on behalf of others who haven't even been proven to exist.
I'm glad you enjoy the mod though! :D

Also, I'm not just dismissing your statements. I'm considering adding a button on the side of the quickbar to toggle HandyHands on/off so that users who install the mod through a package without checking what it contains or whatever can toggle it without reading up on the hotkeys. Several people have asked for me to add the settings you can modify with the hotkey to be added even though those already exists. Not sure how to inform people about it so they don't miss it when it's already on the quick description, full description, controls settings and printed to the console when you first install it. :?
Do you want that all your stuff in your toolbar gets auto crafted?
Yeah, that's why I made the mod. :roll: ;)
Also, you can set the default to 0 and turn it on for individual items or have any other default and turn down individual items to 0 or whatever you want if you don't want everything autocrafted.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:52 pm
Well, it's hard for them to install the mod if they don't know about it though? If they install the mod it's probably because they want it. If they don't want it they shouldn't install.

But the mod is also automatically paused if you cancel any craft started by HandyHands. Which means that there is absolutely 0 chance that someone has their entire quickbar autocrafted without them knowing how to stop it. I thought about it 8-)
I've had 0 complaints unless you count people who are disappointed that I didn't update the mod quickly enough because they don't want to play without it. People love it. If they remove the mod because they don't like it then it is probably because they didn't want it in the first place. It's not like I lose anything if they uninstall. They get to enjoy the game without the mod and I get to enjoy the game with it, just like it should be. I'm not really interested in having everyone install the mod but never ever activate it. I want satisfied users, not satisfied non-users that just inflate my download count if they can be just as satisfied without the mod installed. :)
Im ok with it. But i think you should change it to 0 so nothing happens, only when ppl change it.
If you are ok with it then it's a bit weird that you worry on behalf of others who haven't even been proven to exist.
I'm glad you enjoy the mod though! :D

Also, I'm not just dismissing your statements. I'm considering adding a button on the side of the quickbar to toggle HandyHands on/off so that users who install the mod through a package without checking what it contains or whatever can toggle it without reading up on the hotkeys. Several people have asked for me to add the settings you can modify with the hotkey to be added even though those already exists. Not sure how to inform people about it so they don't miss it when it's already on the quick description, full description, controls settings and printed to the console when you first install it. :?
Do you want that all your stuff in your toolbar gets auto crafted?
Yeah, that's why I made the mod. :roll: ;)
Also, you can set the default to 0 and turn it on for individual items or have any other default and turn down individual items to 0 or whatever you want if you don't want everything autocrafted.
Why i care about others?

I guess it has something to do with my job: make things better.

Since you asked why you "should care". Clearly it makes no financial difference, but if i would do the work you did, i would want it to be used from as much ppl as possible, because its the same work if it uses 10 or 100.000 ppl. Just my 2 cents.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 pm
Why i care about others?

Since you asked why you "should care". Clearly it makes no financial difference, but if i would do the work you did, i would want it to be used from as much ppl as possible, because its the same work if it uses 10 or 100.000 ppl. Just my 2 cents.
No, I care about others. And I want my mod to be as good as possible and help as many as possible. I just disagree that your suggestion would make the mod better. I think those that already like the mod or will install it in the future prefer the "default default" that I've chosen. The mod has an audience and a future potential audience. It's possible that there's another audience that prefers the default to be 0 which is bigger than the current audience. But I don't want to make the mod better for more people if it means becoming worse for the current audience. Another target audience can have their game improved by another mod that better suits them.

Let's say that 75% of Factorians prefer vanilla Factorio with no mods. To me, your argument sounds like I should make my mod do nothing because by doing nothing my mod would suit a much larger player base. If HandyHands becomes a vanilla feature then it makes sense that Wube would give you a button to toggle it on/off and default to off. But all HH installers want autocrafting, they toggled it on by installing the mod.

To convince me you have to show me how it benefits the current audience.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:29 pm
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 pm
Why i care about others?

No, I care about others. And I want my mod to be as good as possible and help as many as possible. I just disagree that your suggestion would make the mod better. I think those that already like the mod or will install it in the future prefer the "default default" that I've chosen. The mod has an audience and a future potential audience. It's possible that there's another audience that prefers the default to be 0 which is bigger than the current audience. But I don't want to make the mod better for more people if it means becoming worse for the current audience. Another target audience can have their game improved by another mod that better suits them.

Let's say that 75% of Factorians prefer vanilla Factorio with no mods. To me, your argument sounds like I should make my mod do nothing because by doing nothing my mod would suit a much larger player base. If HandyHands becomes a vanilla feature then it makes sense that Wube would give you a button to toggle it on/off and default to off. But all HH installers want autocrafting, they toggled it on by installing the mod.

To convince me you have to show me how it benefits the current audience.
Its not about disabling auto crafting? Its just about make the default to 0.

I just see it from this standpoint:

Most things in life (and games) works like that. If you dont set anything, nothing happens. Thats just logical. In pre 0.17 it was like that (even if default wasnt 0) nothing would have happend if u didnt PIN it down in your toolbar. But now thats gone. All things just gets build in default. Not logic. I think its more intuitive if nothing happens in default.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:19 pm
Its not about disabling auto crafting? Its just about make the default to 0.

I just see it from this standpoint:

Most things in life (and games) works like that. If you dont set anything, nothing happens. Thats just logical. In pre 0.17 it was like that (even if default wasnt 0) nothing would have happend if u didnt PIN it down in your toolbar. But now thats gone. All things just gets build in default. Not logic. I think its more intuitive if nothing happens in default.
You can't store anything on your quickbar anymore, it's all filters. All the slots on the quickbar are like the blue background slots in 0.16. Nothing ends up on the quickbar unless you pin them there, just like filtered slots in 0.16. So nothing happens in 0.17 by default either, just like before.

smallfly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.17] HandyHands - Incompatible with multiplayer mode?

Post by smallfly »

Hello together,

I am running a factorio server using nitrado as hosting provider. I had 50 mods installed. I was playing alone on the server. I got disconnected because of desync problems every 5 to 10 minutes. After deleting several mods and partially reuploading them, I am now playing with 49 mods and everything runs fine.

The only mod I needed to delete was HandyHands. Sad, since its a very nice mod! I like it! But it seems not to be compatible with multiplayer mod or at least not with my mod list. Here are the mods I am using. As said: Now everything runs fine. No problem anymore :-) But HandyHands is not included anymore :-(
mods
Regards,
smallfly

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

smallfly wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:01 am
Hello together,

I am running a factorio server using nitrado as hosting provider. I had 50 mods installed. I was playing alone on the server. I got disconnected because of desync problems every 5 to 10 minutes. After deleting several mods and partially reuploading them, I am now playing with 49 mods and everything runs fine.

The only mod I needed to delete was HandyHands. Sad, since its a very nice mod! I like it! But it seems not to be compatible with multiplayer mod or at least not with my mod list. Here are the mods I am using. As said: Now everything runs fine. No problem anymore :-) But HandyHands is not included anymore :-(

Regards,
smallfly
Thanks for the report. The HandyHands source code follows the guidlines for how to properly use the Factorio API. It has been multiplayer compatible since the start. Nothing it does should possibly lead to a desync. It could be a bug in HH but, but it could also be a bug in the API functions that are part of Factorio. And since generally what could create desyncs are parts of the code that don't get touched when I update the mod it seems unlikely that HH is at fault. And I can't analyse desyncs from logs like the Factorio devs so there's not much I can do.

If you get desyncs please tell the Factorio devs about it so they can analyse the logs you give them and make sure that Factorio is desync free.

Return to β€œMods”