Re: [MOD 0.14] More Floors 1.0.6

Post by Anson »

PeteTheLich wrote:im very tired so i'll just give you this screenshot
http://i.imgur.com/r8Ylt8J.png
should answer many of your questions.
yes, thanks a lot.
"A picture is worth a thousand words"
PeteTheLich wrote:
but when it can't be influenced by the user, a nice distribution of those "spots" (not too few, not too many) when placing the tiles is even more important.
so youre wanting rotate to manually add variation?
i was only referring to the algorithm and the probabilities when you place tiles like lava and circuits. doing all the manual adjustments is probably too much work for large areas, and thus the algorithm should have no bad looking extremes, eg the lava1 picture should have some red dotted tiles too so that placing a blueprint won't only show a flat grey area.

rotating tiles to get specific tiles is nice and useful for road lines, or to get variants of bricks (red, yellow, etc), but probably less useful for tiles like differently looking lava or circuit floor.
I believe that's because of how robots place tiles 1x1 and to get the bigger variations you have to place it manually by using a bigger brush
not sure that can be worked around. (at least with my level of coding)
this should be a feature of factorio itself ...
in the meantime, you only can try minimizing the effects, eg by not having only grey lava1 tiles.
I dont know how to make tool tips for it I tried searching the API and the factorio files for "can be used to mine any tile" id like to put the tip there.
I'm still no lua/factorio programmer, but when looking through some mods, i found files locale/en/locale.cfg which had sections like [technology-description], [item-name], [item-description], [entity-name], [entity-description]. all those [xxx-description] texts seem to be added similar to the tooltips you want to make.
related to this is that those landscape tiles are considered to be floor tiles, and thus are included in blueprints
as shown above this has been fixed for the next version
the picture looks very promising.

and here is a similar picture which shows just the opposite: how messed up the tiles now look in my real map when not using only one mod at a time, or at most two, but a complete set of several mods which each add some tiles, and even more/other mods which try to sort/merge them to a tab and instead mess them up even more. as result, textplates are now shown for me in the morefloors tab, one of the arrowgrates (but not the two others) and most of the morefloor tiles were moved to the colorcoding tab while all colored concrete from your mod got its own new tab named "signals". stone bricks and vanilla concrete are are in bob's materials, and the asphalt and roadlines from the asphalt mod are in the logistics tab. really chaotic and i would never find anything if i wouldn't use a mod that adds a search box to many factorio windows.
i have no idea how to improve this situation where every second mod tries to improve the sorting of items to tabs in the crafting or signal windows, and instead mixes them up even more :-(
three of the five tabs that all have floors

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PeteTheLich »

Anson wrote: yes, thanks a lot.
"A picture is worth a thousand words"

i was only referring to the algorithm and the probabilities when you place tiles like lava and circuits. doing all the manual adjustments is probably too much work for large areas, and thus the algorithm should have no bad looking extremes, eg the lava1 picture should have some red dotted tiles too so that placing a blueprint won't only show a flat grey area.
ill have another look at the lava tile.

lava = looked at
I'm still no lua/factorio programmer, but...
Finds exactly what I was looking for everytime haha
the picture looks very promising.
It is promising! next version should be sometime near the end of the week.

and here is a similar picture which shows just the opposite: how messed up the tiles now look in my real map when not using only one mod at a time, or at most two, but a complete set of several mods which each add some tiles, and even more/other mods which try to sort/merge them to a tab and instead mess them up even more. as result, textplates are now shown for me in the morefloors tab, one of the arrowgrates (but not the two others) and most of the morefloor tiles were moved to the colorcoding tab while all colored concrete from your mod got its own new tab named "signals". stone bricks and vanilla concrete are are in bob's materials, and the asphalt and roadlines from the asphalt mod are in the logistics tab. really chaotic and i would never find anything if i wouldn't use a mod that adds a search box to many factorio windows.
i have no idea how to improve this situation where every second mod tries to improve the sorting of items to tabs in the crafting or signal windows, and instead mixes them up even more :-(
three of the five tabs that all have floors
[/quote]

If you were using shinybobs it casues some weird interactions and talking to nexela said the next update should fix that.

can you give me a list of all the mods (and version) youre using?

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Hi, I come to report a problem with another mod : alien biomes

alien biomes mod add a lot of new biomes and ground tile. One of them is "dirt-grey" defined in 'prototypes/tile/tiles.lua' line 169. It take the vanilla dirt as a base tile to populate data. Without your mode everything fine, dirt is non minable in vanilla.
The problem occur when using your mod as your redefine the dirt tile in the file 'prototypes/tiles_dirt.lua' begin at line 98. By doing so you make dirt a minable tile and by extension, the grey dirt of alien biomes.. As the game doesn't allow two mineable tile one the same coordinate, when you place concrete over alien biomes dirt, it is removed by the game. then replace by another ground by the game when you remove the concrete (it need to display something).

See those screenshots :
The terrain before placing and removing concrete
The terrain before placing and removing concrete
dirt-grey1.jpg (27.95 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
The terrain after placing and removing the concrete.
The terrain after placing and removing the concrete.
greydirt2.jpg (24.62 KiB) Viewed 8045 times

I was trying to choose between which mod author I need to report this bug, but as I don't see any good reason (I don't know your mod, but from what I saw) for your mod to overwrite vanilla dirt with yours instead of making you own dirt (with a prefix) I'm here writing this report.

I test myself to rename your dirt to another name and the bug disappear, but I don't know your mod good enough to be able to say for sure it didn"t cause other problem. Feel free to deal with the problem however you want.

Neemys
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PeteTheLich »

Neemys wrote:Hi, I come to report a problem with another mod : alien biomes

alien biomes mod add a lot of new biomes and ground tile. One of them is "dirt-grey" defined in 'prototypes/tile/tiles.lua' line 169. It take the vanilla dirt as a base tile to populate data. Without your mode everything fine, dirt is non minable in vanilla.
The problem occur when using your mod as your redefine the dirt tile in the file 'prototypes/tiles_dirt.lua' begin at line 98. By doing so you make dirt a minable tile and by extension, the grey dirt of alien biomes.. As the game doesn't allow two mineable tile one the same coordinate, when you place concrete over alien biomes dirt, it is removed by the game. then replace by another ground by the game when you remove the concrete (it need to display something).

I was trying to choose between which mod author I need to report this bug, but as I don't see any good reason (I don't know your mod, but from what I saw) for your mod to overwrite vanilla dirt with yours instead of making you own dirt (with a prefix) I'm here writing this report.

I test myself to rename your dirt to another name and the bug disappear, but I don't know your mod good enough to be able to say for sure it didn"t cause other problem. Feel free to deal with the problem however you want.

Neemys
Thanks for the bug report! If im understanding your post correctly the name I gave to the dirt tile is causing the conflict? so changing the tile to something like name = "more-floors-dirt" would solve the problem?

it's replacing the dirt from the concrete with the dirt tile which is from the more floors mod instead of the alien biomes dirt tile?

i am by no means a good Lua coder but ill look into the bug. I suggest contacting the creator of the alien biomes mod as well.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

While you are looking into this please also look into the incompatiblity between

Asphalt Roads and More Floors. Somehow when placing the regular asphalt road from asphalt roads it is using the textures for more floors asphalt

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

i was busy and it also will take a while until i get to concrete and using more advanced tiles again on my current map, but the new release looks wonderful with all those improvements like additional warning signs, resolved problems on landscape tiles, sorted concrete, etc etc etc
PeteTheLich wrote:Finds exactly what I was looking for everytime haha
glad if i could help
PeteTheLich wrote:If you were using shinybobs ...
can you give me a list of all the mods (and version) youre using?
mod portal has 1100+ mods, i have 400+ installed, and currently maybe 140+ of them enabled.
i am always wondering how well factorio runs with 60/60 on such a map :-)
but of course, one of them is shinybob since i did my first attempt at angels+bobs and have enabled all of those mods. as you wrote, that problem should automatically be solved soon ...
Nexela wrote:... incompatiblity between Asphalt Roads and More Floors ...
Somehow when placing the regular asphalt road from asphalt roads it is using the textures for more floors asphalt
on one hand, it is nice when two items with identical function (eg ores) are merged so that you don't have several types of titanium, etc, and that would also apply to asphalt, if (on the other hand) there wouldn't be different tiles and systems for the road markings in the two mods, and even more so with the last release of asphalt that got additional 45 degree angles for the markings.
i have no idea how to solve those conflicts, except by letting it be two different kinds of asphalt (different tile names, etc), one easier when used only as simple floors (or small "side roads" in the base or outposts), and the other more costly when used to build fast autobahn (for vehicles using speed and lane assist systems) ...

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

PeteTheLich wrote:
Neemys wrote:Hi, I come to report a problem with another mod : alien biomes

Neemys
Thanks for the bug report! If im understanding your post correctly the name I gave to the dirt tile is causing the conflict? so changing the tile to something like name = "more-floors-dirt" would solve the problem?

it's replacing the dirt from the concrete with the dirt tile which is from the more floors mod instead of the alien biomes dirt tile?

i am by no means a good Lua coder but ill look into the bug. I suggest contacting the creator of the alien biomes mod as well.
Yeah it should, because your dirt is removable and replace base game's dirt, any mod that base their tile on the vanilla dirt, make their tile removable (they don't set the minable property usually as they expect the dirt to be non removable).
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PeteTheLich »

Neemys wrote:
Yeah it should, because your dirt is removable and replace base game's dirt, any mod that base their tile on the vanilla dirt, make their tile removable (they don't set the minable property usually as they expect the dirt to be non removable).
Issue = looked into

Update should be pushed to the portal whenever I get ahold of Tone

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

Hi,

I use More Floors in my Roboport Grid Layout (rgl-maps.ga/factorio_maps/fW1/) maps and have gotten a lot of compliments on the beauty of your work (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Bvkq ... sp=sharing).

I have recently replaced the concrete in the map you see with your Express Arrow Gate and I am very happy.

I just came interesting idea for a floor. I stream on twitch and it is quite dark, so I use a lot of lights. Is it possible to create a floor that is lighted? For example if you modified the Express to increase the brightness or have it give off light. I would help some floors be more visible.

thanks,
jon

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PeteTheLich »

hyspeed wrote:Hi,

I use More Floors in my Roboport Grid Layout (rgl-maps.ga/factorio_maps/fW1/) maps and have gotten a lot of compliments on the beauty of your work (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Bvkq ... sp=sharing).

I have recently replaced the concrete in the map you see with your Express Arrow Gate and I am very happy.

I just came interesting idea for a floor. I stream on twitch and it is quite dark, so I use a lot of lights. Is it possible to create a floor that is lighted? For example if you modified the Express to increase the brightness or have it give off light. I would help some floors be more visible.

thanks,
jon
Thats great! can i see a picture of your base? if you wernt against it I would like to showcase peoples creations using the more floors mod.

on the note of the express arrow grate would you like to see purple/green grates to match bobs mods upgraded belts?

What do you mean by lighted? if you mean have each tile act like a light im not sure how that could be done however if you just want high contrast tiles I could make them for you and add a config file to "enable high contrast floors"
can you show/tell me which tile is too dark so i can look into it?

dont you dare say black concrete haha

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

Hi,

Here is a clip from my stream. I think it shows what I am dealing with and what I would love to have.

Look to the left side after I disable the lights:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ManlyPopularWrenDancingBanana

What would be great is a floor that - when connected to power - emits a light. Even if it is a soft glow, to light up the walking areas.

thanks,
jon

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Here is a clip from my stream. I think it shows what I am dealing with and what I would love to have.

What would be great is a floor that - when connected to power - emits a light. Even if it is a soft glow, to light up the walking areas.

thanks,
jon
Light path could do the thing: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=29578&p=211323#p211323

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PeteTheLich »

thanks,
jon
Well I'm not sure I can do an indvidual connection to power to make them glow because it's be like every tile acting like an entity

You basically want to get rid of those splotches of darkness?

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

I would love to turn those Arrow Grate into lighted walkways.

Perhaps a different mod or a stretch objective would be to have the object - if connected to power - would light up the arrows or would emit a glow.

I can clear up the dark blotches with lights. I was just hoping there would be a cool way to do it with floors.

:)

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PeteTheLich »

hyspeed wrote:I would love to turn those Arrow Grate into lighted walkways.

Perhaps a different mod or a stretch objective would be to have the object - if connected to power - would light up the arrows or would emit a glow.

I can clear up the dark blotches with lights. I was just hoping there would be a cool way to do it with floors.

:)
I'll add it to the list of things I'll look into
I'm always open to suggestions

I'm thinking about just adding "lighted paths" that emit light without power but they require lamps in the recipe (expensive!)
Maybe even include a power pole
I'm thinking these would just be always on "light" tiles because I'm thinking of the CPU usage

PantherX
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PantherX »

I posted this on the mod portal but just in case you don't see it...

The bug in version 1.2.1 of the mod regarding missing files is an easy fix. The mod is referencing the hazard concrete files from base and these references have been renamed in 0.15. It simply needs to reference the new filenames and then there's no need to copy the "replace folders" files.

Simply change "base/graphics/terrain/hazard-concrete-left/hazard-concrete-left-inner-[pic_name].png" to "base/graphics/terrain/hazard-concrete-left/hazard-concrete-inner-[pic_name]-left.png" in tiles_arrowgrate.lua, tiles_arrograte_express.lua and tiles_arrowgrate_fast.lua

ie. the "left" part of the filenames simply needs to be moved from the middle of the filename to the end.

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

I can confirm that changing those three files fixes the error on startup and makes the mod work correctly.

I'm quite happy!

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PeteTheLich »

PantherX wrote:I posted this on the mod portal but just in case you don't see it...

The bug in version 1.2.1 of the mod regarding missing files is an easy fix. The mod is referencing the hazard concrete files from base and these references have been renamed in 0.15. It simply needs to reference the new filenames and then there's no need to copy the "replace folders" files.

Simply change "base/graphics/terrain/hazard-concrete-left/hazard-concrete-left-inner-[pic_name].png" to "base/graphics/terrain/hazard-concrete-left/hazard-concrete-inner-[pic_name]-left.png" in tiles_arrowgrate.lua, tiles_arrograte_express.lua and tiles_arrowgrate_fast.lua

ie. the "left" part of the filenames simply needs to be moved from the middle of the filename to the end.
I obviously saw it haha but im replying here too because active forum!

I dont know why I didnt think to check the files... I didnt create that file so I didnt even realize they were being used. Granted they were randomly renamed

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

Hi,

I use your mod quite a bit and want to point out a little issue with the blending on the edges. I'm using a "walking path" between grids on my base with the change to "Arrow Gate" edges and backgrounds, things don't look quite right.

This is a screenshot of things I am working with:
Screenshot 2017-04-28 14.16.21.png
Screenshot 2017-04-28 14.16.21.png (4.12 MiB) Viewed 7732 times
As you can see, things are off on the edges. I tried some concrete as a buffer and that helped reveal the arrow gates, but really just pushed the issue back one tile.

Currently, I am considering using a 1 tile gravel border / edge as that seems to flow nicely and give me a clear edge.

Do you see this as something you might change / fix?

thanks,
jon

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PeteTheLich »

So you would want it to be on the same level? Because it looks like the arrow grate tile is below the colored concrete tile layer
That's an easy fix

I recently removed the edges on the arrow grates since they didn't look right with the new hazard concrete edges

It's hard for me to reply on mobile but I'll be home in around 6 hours

The next update was going to have a lot more edge tiles for many tiles
You can see one in the alien metal tile

Return to “Mods”