Topics and discussion about specific mods
trold
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.14.x] Bottleneck

Post by trold »

Type: Mod
Name: Bottleneck
Description: The mod decorates assembling machines with an indicator light, making it easier to identify bottlenecks in your factory
License: MIT
Version: 0.10.0
Release: 2016-06-11
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.18.0
Category: Helper
Tags: User-Interface, Info
Download-Url: https://mods.factorio.com/api/downloads ... 0.10.5.zip
License
Long description
Version history
Last edited by trold on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 51 times in total.

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.x] Bottleneck

Post by sporefreak »

Love the idea but the graphics are kinda scary

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

sporefreak wrote:Love the idea but the graphics are kinda scary

You are easily scared :P this looks great

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

These are not amazing or anything but you are more then welcome to use these, (IF you want that is)
They are all 32X32 but if you want bigger sizes i can make some. (...IF you want that is....)

ImageImageImage

Miravlix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Miravlix »

While instant on/off behavior is fine for green and yellow, I find red could benefit from a delay, if the machine is short on resources, it could force the light red for the next five seconds.

Seems like 0.13 creates a lot more situations where you're short of resources for extremely short periods of time pr. item created, but on a 0.5 cycle, a 0.xxx delay can become quite big, so it would be a great help for it to be easier to spot the small errors in designs.

trold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trold »

Miravlix wrote:While instant on/off behavior is fine for green and yellow, I find red could benefit from a delay, if the machine is short on resources, it could force the light red for the next five seconds.

Seems like 0.13 creates a lot more situations where you're short of resources for extremely short periods of time pr. item created, but on a 0.5 cycle, a 0.xxx delay can become quite big, so it would be a great help for it to be easier to spot the small errors in designs.
Thank you for the suggestion; you are absolutely right. I have added your suggested functionality to v0.0.2.

Ideally, this information should also be made available in a separate list accessible through the GUI, probably summarized by recipe.

trold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trold »

sporefreak wrote:These are not amazing or anything but you are more then welcome to use these, (IF you want that is)
They are all 32X32 but if you want bigger sizes i can make some. (...IF you want that is....)

ImageImageImage
I had to redo these, since I want the background to be transparent. I took your suggestion and made the yellow more orange to distinguish it better from the green. Thank you for your input.

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

trold wrote:
sporefreak wrote:These are not amazing or anything but you are more then welcome to use these, (IF you want that is)

ImageImageImage
I had to redo these, since I want the background to be transparent. I took your suggestion and made the yellow more orange to distinguish it better from the green. Thank you for your input.

They were uploaded to imgur with transparent backgrounds, they should already have transparent backgrounds.

trold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trold »

sporefreak wrote:They were uploaded to imgur with transparent backgrounds, they should already have transparent backgrounds.
Maybe transparency was lost when uploading to imgur. Here is a comparison:

Image from above: Image

New Image from mod: Image

Liquid5n0w
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Liquid5n0w »

Seems to be dropping my UPS on a rather small factory. I like this mod, but it really shouldn't affect UPS should it?

Oceanel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Oceanel »

Hi. This is another variant of graphics https://www.dropbox.com/s/msy0qnwa26jjj ... s.zip?dl=0
Attachments
ab.png
ab.png (498.13 KiB) Viewed 62409 times
compare.png
compare.png (7.56 KiB) Viewed 62409 times

trold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trold »

I have given into the demands, and the mod no longer kills your CPU. It only does 40 updates per tick, no matter the size of the factory. This will reduce accuracy on bigger factories, instead of slowing down.

trold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trold »

Liquid5n0w wrote:Seems to be dropping my UPS on a rather small factory. I like this mod, but it really shouldn't affect UPS should it?
This should be fixed in the newest version.

apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by apriori »

New version in attachments. Changelist:
• Some codelines for correct placement of bottleneck signals for non-vanilla-sized machines, like assembling machine zero or bucket wheel excavator. See image below.
• Added hotkey "B" to toggle bottlenecks visible/hidden (visible by default). See game settings -> controls -> mods to configure. See mod folder -> locale to localize control's description.

Author, contribute it yourself - I'm not github user. License - see my signature below.
Attachments
Bottleneck_0.2.0.zip
I think it should be 0.2.2. This edition is without 0.2.1 changes. Merge it.
(6.57 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Comparision
Comparision
2016-08-15_09-19-44.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 62380 times
Any code or mods posted by me are WTFPL, unless otherwise copyrights are specified.

trold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trold »

Thanks to apriori, the signals are now places correctly for big entities. For some reason, it still places signals to the left side on the small 2x2 entities.

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

I updated this to 0.14 because I got bored, enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecq98qpmzlnsx ... 1.zip?dl=1
I have no idea what I'm doing.

trold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trold »

I realized that I had completely forgotten to update the download URL at the top of this post ever since v0.2.0, so only people using the mod portal would have gotten the newer versions. Sorry about this. The currently newest version can be found at https://mods.factorio.com/api/downloads ... _0.3.1.zip

apriori
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x] Bottleneck

Post by apriori »

russian locale
Any code or mods posted by me are WTFPL, unless otherwise copyrights are specified.

Jackalope_Gaming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jackalope_Gaming »

I've noticed this mod's graphics are covered up by assembler-type entities that output fluid in the bottom middle. In the base game this is only the oil refinery, but mods and such can add other things with bottom middle fluid output. Changing the picture shift from "shift = {-0.5, -0.3}" to "shift = {0, -0.3}" allows for showing both the middle output and the indicator light fully. It also does not interfere with such entities as chemical plants that have a bottom right fluid output since the indicator light is in between the middle tile and the tile to the right of middle.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Thanks for making this mod. I've been playing for a little over 2 years now, and I only just very recently realized that it annoys and frustrates me that I can't at-a-glance see whether my machines are working or not, and if not, whether it's because of input or output reason.

Both are reasonbly easy to bypass, by pressing the Alt key or by looking at the Belts to see whether they're full or not full (except when you're using Requester Chests instead, which I maintain is very valid in some cases), but still, this mod speeds up getting answers to that question by at least a factor of 5, and thus it's very, very Factorio.

Thanks!

Return to “Mods”