[MOD 0.14.x] Bottleneck

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Chartas
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x] Bottleneck

Post by Chartas »

dispensershell wrote:Is there any way to make the bottleneck icons individual to each user in MP?
Nexela wrote:Nope
Woot? I didn't even realise the bottleneck feature was shared. But are you sure? I mean, maybe it's possible since 0.15 with the per player settings in the mod setting tab? I'm not exactly sure how those are supposed to work, but I got the impression they may be intended for that.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

The per player settings would work fine to keep track of which players wanted the feature on or off, but the coloured lights are actually entities in the world: if they exist then all players can see them and if they don't then no player can see them. There isn't an obvious way to have them show up just for some players and not others.

The Zero
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by The Zero »

Hey, looks like 0.15.10 broke Bottleneck with a very weird off-by-1 index error:

Active machines now show nothing. Starved show green, full show red. When I turn off Bottleneck, everything shows yellow. Tried even disabling mod, saving a game, loading with a mod activated again to force rebuild, same story.

trold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trold »

The Zero wrote:Hey, looks like 0.15.10 broke Bottleneck with a very weird off-by-1 index error:

Active machines now show nothing. Starved show green, full show red. When I turn off Bottleneck, everything shows yellow. Tried even disabling mod, saving a game, loading with a mod activated again to force rebuild, same story.
Yup. 0.15.10 fixed an inconsistent indexing scheme for sprites. This is taken into account in Bottleneck 0.7.1

The Zero
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by The Zero »

trold wrote:This is taken into account in Bottleneck 0.7.1
Yay, kudos for a quick fix!

dispensershell
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dispensershell »

Fair enough. I guess just make the default CTRL-SHIFT-B and people can change it as they see fit.

Miravlix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Miravlix »

I've seen people mixing up what bottleneck does and doesn't do, they seem to take the recipe and think the indicator apply to the recipe being input/output limited or perfect, but it actually just tells the state of the machine right now.

You can have a red light, because your system keeps getting stuck on output and when output get cleared, instead of the 10 time units (or whatever the recipes time is) to feed the machine, it has to accomplish feeding in far too short a time and bottleneck correctly turns the light red, because the machine is input starved, even if the recipe may not be and would be perfectly fine if you just could ensure output didn't get filled to high and triggering the limiting of input buffering.

myricaulus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by myricaulus »

I was actually a bit disappointed that the index bug got fixed. I liked the fact, that only problems are shown, while normal working entities were displayed without marker. So i changed back to 0.7.0 :-D

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I will add an option to set ok to off :)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Nexela wrote:I will add an option to set ok to off :)
Please do. The whole "no green lights, only show light if there's a problem" was a feature I didn't know I wanted.

trold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trold »

Peter34 wrote:
Please do. The whole "no green lights, only show light if there's a problem" was a feature I didn't know I wanted.
Sounds like a good option. I wonder whether it should be also be optional to show yellow lights, since it's really only red lights that indicate problems.

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek »

trold wrote:
Peter34 wrote:
Sounds like a good option. I wonder whether it should be also be optional to show yellow lights, since it's really only red lights that indicate problems.
Knowing that a building is blocked because its output is full can be useful information, since it may indicate that the next stage may not be using its product quickly enough.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

trold wrote:
Peter34 wrote:
No, I want to see both red and yellows all the time. It's the greens that I find superflous.

Actually, ideally, the red should blink. Or have a toggleable option between "blink" and "always on". That way, the blinking red light attracts more player attention than the always-on yellow light.

In general, though, I find that the Alt overlay actually interferes with the visual enjoyment of the game. We have it turned on most of the time, thereby obscuring the beautiful (not actually) pixel art animations, especially on Assembler Machines, and especially now with the higher-rez graphics. Your Bottleneck lights add to that effect, and that's one reason I'm hoping for an option to disable the green lights, as those are the ones not needed.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

It is on our todo list but that list requires having the time to do it :)

myricaulus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by myricaulus »

Is it now ready maybe? :mrgreen:
by the way, whats that strange 0.7.2 release changing nothing beside the version number? ;) I dont think that was intended. :!:
also note that you most likely have changed your editor. Your changed lines in 7.0.1 now have tabs instead of spaces, please consider deciding which one to use :-)
For all off you, who want a quick fix against green balls change the control.lua part to:

Code: Select all

local LIGHT = {
    off = 1,
    green = 1,
    red = 3,
    yellow = 4,
    blue = 5,
    redx = 6,
    yellowmin = 7,
    offsmall = 8,
    greensmall = 1,
    redsmall = 10,
    yellowsmall = 11,
    bluesmall = 12,
    redxsmall = 13,
    yellowminsmall = 14,
}
It works on my machine :-D

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I just pushed a the green light toggle (and some potential performance and API improvements) to Trold. Ball is in his court for testing and review now :)

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Suggestion, because Angels loves to make entities that input/output fluids in the middle of the machine...

Is it possible to detect if there is a fluid output in the place of where the light will be and if so, offset it to one side or above so we can still see the fluid inputs/outputs?

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

The last PR I pushed has the offsets slightly off to one side :)

nagapito
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nagapito »

Nexela wrote:The last PR I pushed has the offsets slightly off to one side :)
For some reason Arumba is always asking you to fix stuff!

You are awesome!

trold
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trold »

Last night, I cleaned up some of the new code that handles what lights are shown when, generalizing the features "show green" and "high contrast". It turned out to be much simpler to just let the player choose what lights should mean what, so the options menu now lets you pick from all the available lights for each of the three states (running, stopped, full). You can even pick from the small lights used by the bottleneck logistics mod, which looks surprisingly good on the assemblers.

Return to “Mods”