[MOD 0.12.30+] VanillaΣx (Vehicles, Defense, Energy & More!)

Topics and discussion about specific mods

What should I add next? (After 0.1.0)

More Aliens (Exploding, Ramming, Flying)
8%
More Turrets (Artillery, Mobile, AA)
16%
Space Expansion, Satellites
17%
Water Expansion, Automatic Cargo boats, Offshore Platforms, Water Aliens
25%
Food, Biofuel, Advanced Chemistry, etc.
8%
Weather, Environment, Seasons
9%
Allied AIs, AI Humans, Animals
15%

Total votes: 118

bloc97
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.30+] VanillaΣx (Vehicles, Defense, Energy & More!)

Post by bloc97 »

401 wrote: [...]
Confirmed VanillaEX causes desync for multiplayer. Haven't tested enough in single player to give any feedback if it's stable. I really don't know how to reproduce this.[...]
Sorry if what follows *might* sound rude, but I tried what I can without external feedback.
I have tested it multiple times, and cannot find the source of the desyncs you two described. I have tried with 6 other people, in different server configurations (ubuntu, debian, centOS, Windows Server 2008) with versions 12.29 and 12.30, if you guys cannot help me discover the problem, I can't either.

Delete control.lua (in the mod, from both clients and the server) and tell me if that stops the desyncs, because I've been scratching my head and couldn't find the problem on my side.

Control.lua comes up in my head since it is the only thing that can desync in servers, and currently it serves almost no purpose to the mod, I can delete it from the release if that is really the problem.

EDIT: I think what might also cause a partial problem, the config variables are not global, and the way factorio saves variables needs it to be in the global table. I will try to fix it as soon I have time. For now, you can use the v0.0.7 for multiplayer, as it has no impact on the features. But you cannot choose to disable parts of the mod, since it was not implemented yet.
Image-Vehicles, Defense, Energy & More!
Image-Keep inventory on death!

Raught19
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Raught19 »

So I hope you don't mind, but I've been creating my own mod to accompany yours along with Natural Evolution and Swarm :) I will be posting my mod here if you are okay with it, once I get most of its features done. but so far this is what I got:

Gatling Gun and LMG(?) uses Belt-Fed-Ammunition (maybe, needs more testing)

Gatling Gun fires a high firing spray of Projectile Bullets that is extremely inaccurate, but the ammunition deals intense damage. (Done)

LMG fires a slower but more precise spray of Projectile Bullets at reduced damage, but allows for more mobility and precision. (maybe, needs more testing)

4 different types of Belt-Fed-Ammunition (Physical, Impact, Poison, and Fire) its extremely expensive to craft, but very powerful. (Done)

3 new types of Shotgun Ammo (Impact, Poison, and Fire) (Done)

High-Explosive Magazines cause Area damage (Great for cleaning up Mob Swarm) (Done)

Recipes and New Techs for these upgrades. (Done)

custom icons for everything (Done)

And some overall balance changes such as:

Pistols have slow fire rates, but deals extra damage with ammo, so they have better ammo conservation.

Submachine Gun deals minor more damage for better ammo conservation but less range and firing speed.

Flame Thrower damage upgrade.

Etc, I'm at work or else I'd post more exact changes to the balances :)

Just wanted to get your opinion if its okay for me to add the mod here so you can give it a look :)

bloc97
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bloc97 »

Raught19 wrote:Just wanted to get your opinion if its okay for me to add the mod here so you can give it a look :)
Sure you can do that... but if its your hard work, you deserve a unique thread on the forums, no?
And since the license is only BY, do whatever you want with this mod's content, as long you don't say you did the work.
Modifying this mod and making a "new" mod is perfectly fine too. As long as you credit whatever you took.

Darkwhistle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Darkwhistle »

Multiplayer user, will ad 0.07 for now, pleas give us a heads up if the multiplayer bug is fixed! :D

Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 401 »

bloc97 wrote:
401 wrote: *Snip-erinos*
EDIT: I think what might also cause a partial problem, the config variables are not global, and the way factorio saves variables needs it to be in the global table. I will try to fix it as soon I have time. For now, you can use the v0.0.7 for multiplayer, as it has no impact on the features. But you cannot choose to disable parts of the mod, since it was not implemented yet.
I used every feature of v0.0.8, I am going to give v0.0.7 a try, since the initial desync problem I completely removed the mod. I like all the features except the solar panels + accumulators, I don't like the fact the solar panels don't look very different from each other, hard to determine what the solar panel is without actually hovering over it with your cursor either when it's placed or when it's in your inventory and the names are confusing.

Suggestions:
-Solar Modifications
  • Basic Accumulator (Vanilla) = No changes needed.
  • High-density Accumulator >> Advanced Accumulator
  • Solar Panel (Vanilla) >> Basic Solar Panel
  • High-density refraction solar panel >> Advanced Solar Panel (Make same color as Advanced Accumulator)
  • Stacked Solar Panel = Remove for simplicity sake.
Anywho, those are my two cents on why I don't like the solar panels + added accumulator; name, and visibility when they are placed or in your inventory. Whether you like those suggestions or not, that's up to you. Currently I use "Electricity by XyLe" mod, it has different colors for each tiered item(easy to tell difference), but I'd much rather prefer to use your mod without the excessive amount of extra upgradable electricity stuff.

EDIT: v0.0.7 working 100% in multiplayer, haven't had desync yet(after 10 hours).
Last edited by 401 on Mon May 09, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marchombre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marchombre »

Hum, i don't know if it's really coming from the mod or not, but when i generated a new map, i had to restart like 5-6 times cause there was always an ore missing (with v0.0.8). Most of the time it was iron or coal.
I finally switched to v0.0.7 to generate the map then go back to v0.0.8 to play. Did you changed some numbers between the two version in the world generation settings ?

More info :
Everything was set by default except for segmentation and water that i put to low
I noticed that aliens bases were on the minimap since the beginning and quite large (4-5 spawners + worms) in version 0.0.8 while there were none in the minimap in v0.0.7 and the first one i found were like only 2 spawners + no worms.
I tried the mod with a clean game (no other mods installed + new map)

Raught19
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Raught19 »

While troubleshooting my own Mod using yours as a dependent, I was able to recreate the desyncs, and you are right, its coming from the control when you resetrecipes and resettechnologies when you have a lot of things researched. Something happens with the global var your setting for Load, and the script is trying to reset tech+recipes per tick. I disabled it on my own mod and yours and tested it this weekend with a friend and all desyncs stopped. so v0.0.8 is viable and multiplayer safe, as long as you delete the control.lua.

I sadly haven't been able to find a workaround as I have a lack of people to test multiplayer at the current time lol. Just wanted to let you know what I have found out.

drownet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by drownet »

*Edit* After deleting the control.lua, the desync stopped completely.

*Original Post* Sorry for the late feedback, I was on vacation and wasn't able to test your suggestion.

We will try to delete the control.lua and see if it works then. Can't promise that I can manage to do it today, but definitely later this week!

Thanks for your response and taking the time to analyze the problem!

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

Any word on new updates? Been trying to finalize my Factorio mods folder so i can finish a playthrough for once instead of finding a new cool mod that i want to restart for,
(Really im afraid if i finish once ill be done playing lol)
Thanks again for this great mod!

Raught19
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Raught19 »

sporefreak wrote:Any word on new updates? Been trying to finalize my Factorio mods folder so i can finish a playthrough for once instead of finding a new cool mod that i want to restart for,
(Really im afraid if i finish once ill be done playing lol)
Thanks again for this great mod!

I have released Hunting Grounds which uses this mod as a base, creating new ammo types and versions. If you'd like you can check it out here viewtopic.php?f=94&t=25643

Marchombre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marchombre »

Raught19, any idea about what i said earlier ?
Hum, i don't know if it's really coming from the mod or not, but when i generated a new map, i had to restart like 5-6 times cause there was always an ore missing (with v0.0.8). Most of the time it was iron or coal.
I finally switched to v0.0.7 to generate the map then go back to v0.0.8 to play. Did you changed some numbers between the two version in the world generation settings ?

More info :
Everything was set by default except for segmentation and water that i put to low
I noticed that aliens bases were on the minimap since the beginning and quite large (4-5 spawners + worms) in version 0.0.8 while there were none in the minimap in v0.0.7 and the first one i found were like only 2 spawners + no worms.
I tried the mod with a clean game (no other mods installed + new map)

Raught19
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Raught19 »

Marchombre wrote:Raught19, any idea about what i said earlier ?
I'm not sure. its got to be like a weird map generation or its a bad cache from one of your other mods. I've worked with VanillaEx a lot and there's nothing in it that would affect map generation.

This mod is actually very lite and doesn't change any vanilla settings.

You could try deleting your Crop-Cache.dat from AppData\Roaming\Factorio and see if that helps :)

Marchombre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marchombre »

I created a new world vith v0.0.8 + hunting ground (and some more you recommend in the post) and there was no problem. Didn't deleted the crop-cache.dat at that time.

bloc97
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bloc97 »

Just a small update on the status of the mod.

I have started working on the mod again, and I modified my previous brute force way of resetting recipes. Now it should not bug in multiplayer.
I'm also planning to use migration scripts more often in future releases.

The wind and tidal generators are mostly complete, however the solar boilers are giving me a headache, since cluttering the control script with "entity scanners" isn't a good way in keeping this mod low-profile.

I might push back the solar boilers to 0.1.0, and instead add more water objects for 0.0.9. Since I already added tidal generators, why not other water related stuff.

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

bloc97 wrote:...add more water objects for 0.0.9. Since I already added tidal generators, why not other water related stuff.
Off shore oil rigs. High pollution ofc

Marchombre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marchombre »

I know that you said that your mod change nothing in the generation stuff but...

i just tried to play a new game. Set everything to big (except aliens bases set to normal and water to only in starting area).
I restarted 12 times. everytime, i start..... in a desert. No kidding...

Only mods used are VanillaEx, hunting grounds, natural evolutions mods recommended on hunting grounds post and some trains mods.

I might just have a really bad luck at world generating, but still, i wonder if your mod could be of any impact on this ?

sporefreak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by sporefreak »

Marchombre wrote:I know that you said that your mod change nothing in the generation stuff but...

i just tried to play a new game. Set everything to big (except aliens bases set to normal and water to only in starting area).

Only mods used are VanillaEx, hunting grounds, natural evolutions mods recommended on hunting grounds post and some trains mods.

I might just have a really bad luck at world generating, but still, i wonder if your mod could be of any impact on this ?
I don't believe so. I have started many many games with this mod installed and i almost never start in a desert

Raught19
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Raught19 »

sporefreak wrote:
Marchombre wrote:I know that you said that your mod change nothing in the generation stuff but...

I don't believe so. I have started many many games with this mod installed and i almost never start in a desert
Same :S

You can even open the mod yourself in Notepad++ and search for "Map" there's nothing in it that effects map generation in that way. Hunting Grounds either. RSO is the only mod I use that effects map settings, but its never caused anything similar to what your experiencing.

Marchombre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marchombre »

Well that's strange :/ I created a new world without VanillaEx and hunting grounds (but keeping the other ones) and i started in a forest first try.
Wait, i updated RSO mod between both world. I'll check back later if i still start in a desert with your mods back.

zakman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zakman »

Hi all,

This may be a question for the general mod forum, but figured I'd try here first.

I just installed this mod, and am enjoying the new technologies and buildings. However, I've noticed it's not possible to do a quick-replace of the basic solar panels with the new ones (like you can do with belts, splitters, and several other things.)

Am I missing something, or is that just not an option in this mod? Is it possible to mod the mod to be able to do this, and if so, how would I go about doing it?

Thanks!

Return to “Mods”