[MOD 0.18] Robot Army. v0.4.4

Topics and discussion about specific mods
kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.35] Robot Soldiers. 0.1.3 Dev branch update

Post by kyranzor »

I have just implemented something that i'm sure you guys have wanted - squads reveal the chunk they are in every second or two, allowing you to monitor battles from the map and see their progress and watch where/how they get killed. See my screenshot here, of a stream of squads produced from the corner of my base where my player marker is - they update the map along where they walk, and you can see some blue dots up near the rest base they found.

MatthewGP
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MatthewGP »

I just had to tell you that I think I spent 5 hours yesterday creating new maps, putting your Robot Soldiers on them, and then running around and watching them kick biter booty. I would find great entertainment if there was another mod that just let me remote watch the different squads.

I also propose that, since you have crash landed from an advanced ship, a crate of 25 terminators survives :twisted: . Thanks for the awesome mod.

Matthew

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

MatthewGP wrote:I just had to tell you that I think I spent 5 hours yesterday creating new maps, putting your Robot Soldiers on them, and then running around and watching them kick biter booty. I would find great entertainment if there was another mod that just let me remote watch the different squads.

I also propose that, since you have crash landed from an advanced ship, a crate of 25 terminators survives :twisted: . Thanks for the awesome mod.

Matthew
I'm glad you had fun! That's basically what I do for my testing - just rampage around the map spawning droids and watching the carnage.

You can get the satellite uplink mod which is part of the ion cannon mod I think. Link here: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=19883
It is very very late-game/end game tech, unfortunately.

otherwise there is a type of Factorio game mode called Sandbox. I'm pretty sure you can do the entire game in this mode, but instead of a character you are just a RTS style camera controller (God controller). You can place things anywhere, and pick up/mine anything. I think the devs were going to make a building you can enter that makes you into this mode (or something similar, view-only) but who knows if/when they'll add that.

There is a mod where you can view around radars, so you can manage your outposts, but that's not the freedom you are looking for.

Maybe one day i'll add something similar to the Satellite uplink mod in terms of functionality but would be as the devs described it - "enter a building" somehow (proximity) and become the "invisible observer" style character. with the 0.13 mod api I could essentially disable your ability to mine items, zero inventory, and other restrictions which is nice.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

Tonight I added basic requirements to unlock the droids, based on just the simple Military 1,2,3 research.

I added an extra step for the spawn location of droids to hopefully make the placement more robust and less likely to end up inside a building or another droid.

I am 99% done with adding a constant combinator called a Droid Activity Module which outputs virtual signal values with how many droids are currently alive.

I added the ability for construction bots to place Droid Assemblers and everything now works as expected.

These changes are not yet on the dev branch but will be added soon! I think once this combinator is done I will release version 0.1.4 and release a hotfix for when factorio 0.13 is released.

Edit:
V0.1.4 released, see first post.

ArtyD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.35] Robot Soldiers. 0.1.4 Released!

Post by ArtyD »

They don't appear to be useable in old maps.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

Can you mention your exact use-case? What appears to be wrong? Maybe the migration failed, or something else is going on. If I get bug reports now I can fix it quick before others download it

ArtyD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ArtyD »

They just don't appear in the list of items anywhere on an old map. The research is linked to 1, 2 and 3 but not within my menu of items to build.

I can identify the clockwork riflebot, battle droid, rocket droid, and terminator build requirements with research done but the devices are not in my build labs.

Build is 0.12.35, screenshots inbound.

http://prntscr.com/bgh9an

http://prntscr.com/bgh9cc

Chene24
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Chene24 »

I dont seem to be able to deploy the bots from an assembly machine 2(grayed out). Is this a special assembly machine? I dont see one on the menu.

I have to manualy deploy the bots. that works great.

Keep up the good work. this mod is awsome!

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

ArtyD wrote:They just don't appear in the list of items anywhere on an old map. The research is linked to 1, 2 and 3 but not within my menu of items to build.

I can identify the clockwork riflebot, battle droid, rocket droid, and terminator build requirements with research done but the devices are not in my build labs.

Build is 0.12.35, screenshots inbound.

http://prntscr.com/bgh9an

http://prntscr.com/bgh9cc
Can you please check if an Assembler 2, or Assembler 3, can see the recipes? they cannot be hand-crafted.

Chene24 wrote:I dont seem to be able to deploy the bots from an assembly machine 2(grayed out). Is this a special assembly machine? I dont see one on the menu.

You need the Droid Assembler, which has an icon that looks a bit silly, it's an Assembler 2 with little Red flag on it. See here: https://github.com/kyranf/robotarmyfact ... ng-Machine

ArtyD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ArtyD »

Being hand crafted or not is not a factor due to the object should exist within the build options even if impossible to build by hand.

EG: Flamethrower ammo.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

ArtyD wrote:Being hand crafted or not is not a factor due to the object should exist within the build options even if impossible to build by hand.

EG: Flamethrower ammo.
You are right. I have found that it's because the technologies have not been correctly detected as done and thus enable the recipes.

I will update the files on github.com dev branch and link you to the fixed files very soon. Stay tuned! I have already tested the results and it's working for me.

Edit:
Go to https://github.com/kyranf/robotarmyfact ... evelopment and either download the whole thing as a zip using https://github.com/kyranf/robotarmyfact ... opment.zip

or obtain the contents of https://github.com/kyranf/robotarmyfact ... ontrol.lua and update the control.lua on your installation. This will run a tech update script each time you load a game with my mod in it, and force enable any recipe that has the associated technology already researched.

Edit 2: I just updated the attached .zip on the first post of this thread. just download it again from there.

To the 12 people who already downloaded the 0.1.4 zip, i'm sorry but i re-uploaded the 0.1.4 zip with the bug fixes because it's been less than 24 hours which I think is fair. Any further bugs and fixing will be covered in wiki pages with workarounds until a week or so for a proper next release to fix the bugs. I suggest anyone who has downloaded the mod, download it again to get the migration script fix and the tech fix for loaded games. Also for compatibility with friends who are using the mod.

ArtyD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ArtyD »

That fixed it, they exist in my options to build now.

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

ArtyD wrote:That fixed it, they exist in my options to build now.
Glorious ;)

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

kyranzor wrote:
Chene24 wrote:I dont seem to be able to deploy the bots from an assembly machine 2(grayed out). Is this a special assembly machine? I dont see one on the menu.

You need the Droid Assembler, which has an icon that looks a bit silly, it's an Assembler 2 with little Red flag on it. See here: https://github.com/kyranf/robotarmyfact ... ng-Machine
Maybe I'm being dumb, but I can't for the life of me find that Droid Assembler thingy. I'm using the latest updated 0.1.4 (which you really should have renamed 0.1.5, that's what version numbers are for, so we don't have to specify WHICH version of a number we're using :P ).

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

wahming wrote:
kyranzor wrote:

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I can't for the life of me find that Droid Assembler thingy. I'm using the latest updated 0.1.4 (which you really should have renamed 0.1.5, that's what version numbers are for, so we don't have to specify WHICH version of a number we're using :P ).
Sigh, no you aren't dumb, I just saw that the droid assembling machine had its recipe set to enabled=false.
To fix this in-game for now, please use the command: /c game.local_player.force.recipes["droid-assembling-machine"].enabled=true

I'm updating the .zip again on the front post. I hope this is the last time.

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

That did it.

A little feedback on the mod thus far -

Working great. 8 SMG bots going through biter nests like hot knife through butter. You might want to consider gating the tech/resources for SMG bots a little further up? Maybe require lube or something? They just seem way OP right now :lol: . That bunch I let loose, they're probably going to wipe out all aliens to my south forever.

Some way to collect artifacts would be nice. Maybe you could have them pick up artifacts and return to drop off artifacts at a certain threshold?

Idea - have them run off some sort of fuel that requires them to recharge every so often? Whether coal or electricity. Or plain run out of ammo :o

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

Also - while I like how they reveal the map, they're leaving shadows of themselves all over the area. Also, biter nests they destroy that happen to be in the next block over from them stay on the map. It might be better to set the area they reveal to 3x3 blocks.

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

20 minutes later, my 8 droids have conquered the known (generated) world, and are actively terrorising biters into submission. I feel like a South African warlord...

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

wahming wrote:20 minutes later, my 8 droids have conquered the known (generated) world, and are actively terrorising biters into submission. I feel like a South African warlord...
Maybe try making clockwork bots first. They are the early game bots. Less OP. The SMG bots are meant to scale up to big worms. That's why they are owning the weak-ass biters.

Consider getting the Natural Evolution mod, Misanthrope mod, or playing on death-world biter settings for a challenge.

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

kyranzor wrote:
wahming wrote:20 minutes later, my 8 droids have conquered the known (generated) world, and are actively terrorising biters into submission. I feel like a South African warlord...
Maybe try making clockwork bots first. They are the early game bots. Less OP. The SMG bots are meant to scale up to big worms. That's why they are owning the weak-ass biters.

Consider getting the Natural Evolution mod, Misanthrope mod, or playing on death-world biter settings for a challenge.

I AM playing with the misanthrope mod. You were the one who recommended me your mod as a way to keep em away from my railroads :D

I have to say, my railroads certainly feel safe. :lol:

Return to “Mods”