Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Robot Mining Site 0.1.3

Post by judos »

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

News for 0.1.3
- fixed issue: API call when LuaEntity was invalid
- updated spanish translation

About the alerts:
This seems to be a factorio issue. If you don't stand nearby with a personal roboport it won't occur. So basically the alert happens because your personal roboport can't transport all the items (even so nearby roboports have enough robots) :? I reported the issue back to the dev team here.

About the other issue (Item stack doesn't have name parameter):
I'm still not sure what is causing this. I could not reproduce it yet. With v 0.1.3 it will probably not crash anymore but just not mine the resource if the problem would occur. So probably some resources will not be mined and it will be easier to see where that happens...
Can anyone upload a save game+mods used? :P

Vrakyas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vrakyas »

I found a bug:
You shouldn't name your logging function "debug" as "debug" is a built-in lua command. It will cause issues if other mods use the built-in command like the mod "Updated Graphics" does.
I fixed it for me by renaming your "debug" function to "_debug" in all lua-files.

drkusa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by drkusa »

Kudos to judos!

This is a dandy mod...faster than the electric drill with less congestion. Great!

One note to new users of the mod...need more than 9 construction robots in the roboport for it to work because it keeps that many in reserve. Had me scratching my head for awhile trying to figure out why it wasn't doing anything, until I re-read judos note that it keeps 9 in the hole to do other jobs on request.

Galacticruler
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Galacticruler »

So I love the mod, but I have one request: A drone-port with a really short construction range and a very large logistic range to aid the designation of mining areas.

Also, would a GUI to set the number of reserved mining drones be possible? it'd be a better way to handle this in 1.5k+ construction drone logistic systems.
PC is best.

7h3w1z4rd
Inserter
Inserter

Post by 7h3w1z4rd »

Can you make this compatible with Hardcrafting? So it doesn't only mine the ore but the hardcrafting stuff too. It would make things much easier.

Vas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vas »

Are there any plans for making a bot specific to mining? That would be rather nice, so that one can craft 20 mining bots, and have construction bots at the same site without the construction bots doing anything. I really like specialized bots with specialized tasks is why I request this.

EDIT: I was just told that it may be impossible to add a new type of bot that can only mine and nothing else as it is hard coded right now.
You can get my mods by clicking here, and use discussions there or PMs here to suggest or report issues.
Want some blueprints made by me? Click here then!

dewast
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dewast »

Greate mod, I have sugestion, can You add 2 additional mining site, 1/2 and 1/4 of the courent size, to acces smaler area. For smal pokets, and to mine by gridd.

akkristor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by akkristor »

Really enjoying this mod.

One question/request.

Is there a way to connect the mining marker to a logic network, that way I can specify "Mine only when [IRON-ORE] is less that 10k", or something similar?

If not, would it be possible to add that?

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Hi all,

First of all I would like to thanks Afforess by giving me the great idea how it is actually possible to have separate mining robots. So they will definitely be coming with the next release :P

BIG NOTE: If anyone is really good at doing graphics I think it would be really cool to have some visuals for the mining robots. Send me a message if you are interested ;)

In short it will work like this:
When placing mining robots they will belong to a different faction than the player. Also the robot mining site will spawn a small mining roboport which belongs to the "mining" faction. Using this workaround has several advantages:
- No alerts generated for you, since the items will always bother the mining faction but not the player faction.
- mining robots are at all possible (they are basically modified construction robots which can only be used for mining just because they belong to this different faction)
- The mining roboport generates a nice area indicator only when hovering the building
- The roboport area do not interact with any other roboports from the player.
new.PNG
new.PNG (947.38 KiB) Viewed 8173 times
@drkusa: thanks :D
Actually keeping 9 robots in reserve was to reduce the number of alerts generated, but I found out later this is caused by the personal roboport. So it will be removed again with the next release.

@Galacticruler: you will need to create dedicated mining robots soon, so no more need to specify how many robots shall be kept available ;)

@7h3w1z4rd: Yes I will definitely make it compatible with hardCrafting once the basic issues are solved. Time line +2 releases probably.

@Vas: I thought at least it was impossible to make mining robots. Thank Afforess he enlightened me with this new idea.

@dewast: I will add different versions of the robot mining site to my todo list. I'm definitely looking forward to play around with the parameters when the new basic concept is fully working

@akkristor: I will also add it my todo list. A condition to shut down mining could definitely be helpful. Probably I could spawn in a small combinator along the mining site which let's you set a filter. I had the same idea already. But in my new single-player world i'm just not that far that I needed to implement this yet :D

akkristor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by akkristor »

judos wrote:
@akkristor: I will also add it my todo list. A condition to shut down mining could definitely be helpful. Probably I could spawn in a small combinator along the mining site which let's you set a filter. I had the same idea already. But in my new single-player world i'm just not that far that I needed to implement this yet :D
Awesome, thanks!

Montego
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Montego »

I'm still not sure what is causing this. I could not reproduce it yet. With v 0.1.3 it will probably not crash anymore but just not mine the resource if the problem would occur. So probably some resources will not be mined and it will be easier to see where that happens...
Using v1.3, I got this error when I put a Mining site down to mine Angel's infinite Ore tiles. Hope that helps.

Galacticruler
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Galacticruler »

Montego wrote:
Using v1.3, I got this error when I put a Mining site down to mine Angel's infinite Ore tiles. Hope that helps.
Does so with the Monazite ore from the Thunder Stone mod. I think it'll do this with all mod ores.
PC is best.

Roktaal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Roktaal »

Today I ran into a strange bug. Robots simply stopped working or rather pylons stopped delegating them to get ore. There were no errors and on another field everything works fine. Here is the screenshot that shows that no robots are working and the requester warehouse is empty. There is 100 construction robots available

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Hi Rocktaal,

Good find :) I'm actually already working on updating the mod quite a bit. The problem you find is that the mining site checks whether other entities are potentially on top of resource fields and then it will not mine them. This might happen when a building is on top of it OR also when there are decorative terrain entities like grash bushes etc around. So this is definitely something that will be fixed with the next version ;)

You could give it a try and see whether you can kill those decorative entities with a grenade (just a guess).

Cheers,
judos

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Robot Mining Site 0.2.0

Post by judos »

Hi all,

I added the new 0.2.0 version. Please note that the old mining sites will be removed and placed down at their exact same position as items on the floor.
This is because the new robot mining sites are 3x3 big.
For everything else, please check the changelog.

/edit: forgot to add, this is still on my todo list:
- different sizes of mining sites

Have fun testing it :)
Last edited by judos on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roktaal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Roktaal »

Getting error when trying to place the mining pylon. Old save so I picked up the pylons from ground and tried to place them (after researching the tech)

Edit: Removed Research Queue mod, re-saved, installed RQ again and now all is working fine

Request: Make mining bots faster or add technologies that will increase their speed and carrying capacity much like regular bots

Edit 2: :cry: Another error. Happened after I placed 50 mining robots

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Hmm I think I know what the problem is with Research queue mod.
However for the other problem can you upload a savegame with mods? Would help a lot :)
/edit2: It would already help a lot if you just tell which mods you use together with which resources are nearby the robot mining site when you placed it. ;)

/edit1: I checked the problem with research queue mod.
Seems like it's a problem of that mod and not robotMiningSite. I already reported it in the other forum: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=17219&p=152236#p152236.

To fix you can basically replace the "find_entity" by "find_entities" in research-queue/control.lua line 181.

That should fix the issue.

Roktaal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Roktaal »

judos wrote:Hmm I think I know what the problem is with Research queue mod.
However for the other problem can you upload a savegame with mods? Would help a lot :)
/edit2: It would already help a lot if you just tell which mods you use together with which resources are nearby the robot mining site when you placed it. ;)

/edit1: I checked the problem with research queue mod.
Seems like it's a problem of that mod and not robotMiningSite. I already reported it in the other forum: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=17219&p=152236#p152236.

To fix you can basically replace the "find_entity" by "find_entities" in research-queue/control.lua line 181.

That should fix the issue.
Good catch on the RQ find_entities bug. After I applied a fix you suggested bug #2 from my previous post is gone as well. /happyface
I will continue testing and I'll report if any new bugs come out. Hope you don't mind.
Good job

Edit: Aaaaand the bug #2 is back /sadface
Save file + mods
This is the old save file, just before installing robotMiningSite_0.2.0
Course of actions to reproduce the bug:
  • Researched Mining Robotics
  • Picked up the old pylon (For some reason the old pylon was not on the ground like an item)
  • Placed the new pylon
  • Crafted 40 mining robots and launched them
After some time the error pops. Might want to speed up the time

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Robot Mining Site 0.2.1

Post by judos »

Hi again,

Took a closer look and actually found the issue. Savegames + mods always help :D
I added a new release 0.2.1 which fixes the bug and also adds new technologies which allow faster speed for the mining robots.

I also noted that something got weird with the migration on the savegame you provided. You used 0.2.0 once, then reverted to 0.1.3 again and then second time you install 0.2.0 the migration doesn't work anymore. This might be quite dangerous for most mods I think and I don't know whether it's at all possible to support. So take care when you do things like this ;)

Roktaal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Robot Mining Site 0.2.1

Post by Roktaal »

Indeed I used 0.2.0 once but reverted back to 0.1.3 because I got that error. Later, to reproduce the error for this bug report, I installed 0.2.0 again.

Return to “Mods”