[MOD 0.12.20+] Homeworld

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.20+] Homeworld

Post by Bushdoctor »

@Kirby: Excellent post! I agree with all your points.

I am playing on a map with just 3 lakes and got stuck because fish wouldn't re-spawn. I have switched to solar power and even though I now have
97% water purity and yield, fish will still not re-spawn. I could be wrong, but in that case it seems that it's a game mechanic, not an issue with the mod. Still, not having fish is a problem. so I would like to suggest to revamp the Fishery into a Fish-Farm.

The Fish-Farm would work the same as the Fishery does, but it needs Wheat from the regular Farm as an ingredient to produce fish. Production is guaranteed that way, but still depending on the water purity level. (The more pollution, the more wheat you need to make some fish grow).

Btw, are the game mechanics the reason for the portal not being removable once its put down? It's quite inconvenient tbh.

I really liked how all the new items work together. The wood and furniture, the beverages and dinners with their specific ingredients, etc. Very nicely done.
I also noticed some items in the list that can't be manufactured (yet?). Like Portable Electronics and Building Materials. Will they unlock in a later tier,
or aren't they included in the mod yet? Because they sound like fun to make and they seem to fit into the Homeworld theme quite well.

I am currently trying the strategy of manufacturing large stacks of all the specific Homeworld items before I put down my portal.
140 hours on this map already. Phew. :D

Thanks,
Doc.

-Edit- Wait a minute... I just got to the next tier without delivering the Fish!
I'm starting to get the hang of it! AND I just noticed that I got rewarded for my deliveries! That's super cool.
Time to rebuild. lol.

malk0lm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by malk0lm »

judos wrote:Hi there,

By chance saw this mod and wanted to try it out.
Although I had some starting problems it looks quite cool :P

1. The zip file content should have a folder which is named the same way as your mod, case sensitive (homeworld_1.2.2 did it for me) otherwise I could not start factorio with it.

2. The gui doesn't open @malk0lm:
If you are playing on multiplayer you have to change the code a little bit:

in control.lua around line 122 I set:

Code: Select all

show_gui = function()
		for i,player in pairs(game.players) do
      Homeworld:show_gui(i)
		end
   end,
Then you can execute ingame (you need to have commands activated:
/c remote.call("homeworld","show_gui")

Also if you installed the mod and start an existing world you might want to give your players a portal:
/c game.player.insert{name="homeworld_portal"}

So far it works now for me. Have fun :D

/edit: Oh I found out the gui opens and closes automatically when you get near the portal. :P Seems like this was not a real issue...

/edit2: Do you know how this mod plays together with Gloom ?
Actually the gui does not open and close when you get close. It only opens and closes if everyone who has ever logged in gets close.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Version 1.2.2 didn't want to load unfortunately.
Changing the title of the zip file to the expected title did the trick.

I just noticed that I have a more serious problem with Homeworld besides not catching enough fish.
For some reason, the Portable Electronics and Building Materials are not showing up anymore in my crafting menu.
I remember seeing them, but somewhere along the way they disappeared and so I can't manufacture them.
The same thing goes for the Belt Gate and the Belt Throughput Monitor.
I have removed all other mods, but they still don't show up.

The above mentioned items DO show up when making a selection for a smart inserter for example,
or the menu where I can pick items that logistic bots should deliver to me.
but not in my player crafting menu or in the crafting menu of assembly machines.

-Edit
I think something's wrong with my game. I just tried another mod and it acted the same way. It did not show the items
in the crafting menu, but it does show them in filter settings.

ljdp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ljdp »

Been reading all your comments, thanks! You've given me a lot of good feedback. I'll try and get the current bugs fixed this week, but I'm hesitant to make any changes yet seeing as 0.13 is just round the corner.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

@LJDP, Thanks for checking our comments! It's great to see you're willing to invest time and energy in our entertainment. :)

I have fixed my problem of items not showing up in-game. Apparently it was the old map that I was using that caused the issues.
Once I generated a new map and did some fast research, the missing Homeworld items showed up as they should. Yay!
That old map didn't seem to spawn any fish either. I expect that problem to be solved for me as well with this new map.

Keep up the great work!
Let's bring this motha to Tier 12! :o

szametu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by szametu »

latest version form gifthub + latest factorio ver.

Any ideas mate ?
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (53.91 KiB) Viewed 6725 times

ljdp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ljdp »

szametu wrote:latest version form gifthub + latest factorio ver.

Any ideas mate ?
Just re-uploaded the zip that fixes this.

szametu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by szametu »

sorry, still same problem

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Sand generated with the Terraformer, does not contain the harvestable material Sand.

So, I went back to my map editor and painted some sand areas in my map (because I didn't have any and got stuck).
It turns out that those areas also do not contain harvestable sand.

My guess is that only sand that was generated when the map was generated, will produce harvestable sand.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Bushdoctor wrote:Sand generated with the Terraformer, does not contain the harvestable material Sand.

So, I went back to my map editor and painted some sand areas in my map (because I didn't have any and got stuck).
It turns out that those areas also do not contain harvestable sand.

My guess is that only sand that was generated when the map was generated, will produce harvestable sand.
It's actually a bit different in practice.
There is a special sand ore that gets generated on sand by using autoplace settings. So any sand that gets created in any other way will not be a resource.
Similarly when RSO creates sand it needs to actually place sand tiles or you can have "invisible" sand ore on any tile.

CaptainRush
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CaptainRush »

i have a problem using this great mod with a current save game...

when i place a sand terraformer, it starts to make sand all around but i cant place a sand collector on the "sand" area.

wtf is going on?

Is this only usable with a newly started game?

thx for any infos

CR

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

CaptainRush wrote: [...] wtf is going on? [...]
CR
Sand terrain created with the terraformer does not contain harvestable sand.
You need sand terrain that was created when the map was created.
I think you can still use your old save game, as long as it has 'original' sand terrain.

CaptainRush
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CaptainRush »

thx for the info, but whats the use of the terraformer then anyway???

i will try to find sand :P

CaptainRush
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CaptainRush »

well i have plenty of sand areas in my current save game but nowhere i can place a sand collector...this sucks :(

pls help

CaptainRush
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CaptainRush »

ok another try, i really like to get this thing going - i really love this mod

so everything works, fishes, farms and stuff, but not the sand extractor :(

szametu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by szametu »

you can atleast play it mate. where's i can't ;p

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

CaptainRush wrote:well i have plenty of sand areas in my current save game but nowhere i can place a sand collector...this sucks :(

pls help
Maybe I can help. I've made quite a few mistakes myself. :)

Sand-terrain only comes in one specific type which shows up as the most pale yellow color.
There are other sandy terrain types that look a lot like what you need, but they do not contain harvestable sand.
Especially when the most pale yellow sand is not around, it's easy to mistake another type for the one you need.

Harvestable sand shows up when you hover your mouse over that area. Your cursor will show small yellow squares.
Another way of checking for harvestable sand is to try and put down a sand-harvester. Be sure not to mistakenly
use a regular ore drill for that. The sand-harvester will show green when you can put it down, and red when there's
nothing to harvest. It will also show red when you try to put it down further than your character's reach..

If you're going nuts, consider generating a new map just so you can check it for harvestable sand. That will at least
confirm that you are able to find it and it will give you some comparison with the (old) map that you're using.

Hope that helps. :)
Good luck!

PS. This screenshot shows 3 types of sandy terrain. My cursor isn't visible in this screenshot, but you can see the
yellow square it's pointing at which shows harvestable sand.

https://snag.gy/ygXQqt.jpg
Last edited by Bushdoctor on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

szametu wrote:you can atleast play it mate. where's i can't ;p
You got the info.json error, right? That's strange...
I have just downloaded the adjusted version, and apart from the file name everything seems to work.
The zip that you need to download is called 'factorio-homeworld-1.2.2.zip' (not 'factorio-homeworld-master.zip')
After downloading the zip, my game told me to rename it to 'homeworld_1.2.2.zip' (no capital letters but including the underscore)
That did the trick for me.
Hope that helps...

szametu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by szametu »

and this is what i've done.

I'll try to disable some mods ( not using any of decoration mods, as it says in first post ) to see what's what. I'm sure mod itself is great. And i DO F**** want to try it out for love of god :)

Crayne
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Crayne »

I'm going nuts here....

I'm playing with 1-2 friends on me hosting servers. We're running 2 different modpacks
1 with all kinds of mods and another with basically just vanilla and a couple smaller mods.

On both servers i can only see the overview of the portal (population, increase/decline etc..) ONLY if all of the people on the server are standing next to the portal....
one of the other guys sees it all the time and the third one sees it as long as any player stands next to the portal.
That's always the case and i have no idea, how to solve it...

As long as i'm the only one online on the server i can't see that overview at all and have to wait for my buddies to log in to stand next to the portal to be able to see anything :(((

I started a singleplayer game to test it and i see it, as long as i'm standing next to the portal just fine.
Any ideas...?

In both games different people placed the first portal, so that's not it and we have multiple portals.

Otherwise i just adore this mod, especially, that i finally have a reason to build up HUGE setups :-))))

Return to “Mods”