[MOD 0.14] Nucular 1.0.4 - Nuclear Reactors and Weapons

Topics and discussion about specific mods
NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.29] Nucular 0.2.0 - Nuclear Reactors and Weapons

Post by NoriSilverrage »

OvermindDL1 wrote:The uranium rounds magazine should probably do piercing damage considering it is using a heavy element like uranium, plus it would match the uranium cannon shell in doing piercing damage.
AFAIK piercing damage was added by Bob's mod. Base game uses physical or laser for all player base weapons. Piercing magazine just does 2.5x as much damage as opposed to a different damage type.

mayorovp
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mayorovp »

Sedar wrote:

Code: Select all

[fluid-name]
hot-steam=Турбина
[item-group-name]
nuclear=Деление ядра
Are you kidding?

[fluid-name]
hot-steam=Горячий пар
[item-group-name]
nuclear=Атомная промышленность

skooage
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by skooage »

Haven't got round to playing with this yet, but looks promising! Any likelihood of considering radioactivity? for example not being able to carry irradiated fuel, or requirements for shielded facilities? perhaps a small probability of a nuclear accident leading to an area becoming radioactive and unusable without taking damage for a length of time?

Ralord89
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ralord89 »

This mod is not compatible with the Uranium Power mod, as the technology "Uranium-processing" are both the same words. Perhaps another name for the Uranium Processing to make both mods work at the same time?

I also get this error when running it with Dytech Mod when trying to place a Nuclear Reactor anywhere.

Error while running the event handler: __MAIN-DyTech-Power__/control.lua:604: LuaGameScript doesn't contain key can_place_entity.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

This mod looks great. Going to download it and give it a try.
Hopefully can satisfy my power hungry factory.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Well, after over a day of fiddling and tweaking, I am almost done. This is a great mod. Was a bit touch and go at first, but I was building up stockpiles of uranium and nuclear fuel while crafting and building the reactors etc. Still only running it at night time since it is 80MW short of being enough to power my whole factory so will probably have to do some more adjusting once it's running full time and fuel is being used faster.

330 Reactors with 660 Steam Turbines generating 3.5GW of power, placed via blueprint in batches of 10 reactors with 2 turbines and 2 storage tanks.
power plant - reactors.jpg
power plant - reactors.jpg (234.31 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
60 Reactors set up as Breeders.
power plant - breeder.jpg
power plant - breeder.jpg (373.18 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
18 Assemblers set up as Reprocessors
power plant - reprocessing.jpg
power plant - reprocessing.jpg (211.1 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
10 Assemblers set up for MOX fuel
power plant - mox fuel.jpg
power plant - mox fuel.jpg (137.37 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
20 Assemblers making excess uranium into Enriched Uranium and Depleted uranium, then 5 making Enriched Uranium into Nuclear Fuel
power plant - uranium.jpg
power plant - uranium.jpg (230.33 KiB) Viewed 8413 times

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

In my own copy of Nucular I've changed the steam to have a temperature of 250 (close to the real life value of 275), and multiplied the water/steam quantities by 4. This makes the nucular reactor 2.5x more water-efficient per MW than boiler, instead of 10x more efficient. These values to me seem like a good balance, it significantly eases water delivery without trivializing it.

Also something amusing I noticed is that all nuclear processing can be hand-crafted. Can you imagine that? Spent nuclear fuel reprocessing by hand? :geek:

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Can you use this mod in an existing game? (i.e., is there a way to generate the ore)

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Any unexplored and no pollution areas are not generated. So if you add a new ore, when those are generated they have the normal chance to get the new ore.
So yes, but you will likely need to travel a bit to find it.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

vanatteveldt wrote:Can you use this mod in an existing game? (i.e., is there a way to generate the ore)
You can also cheat with the console to add a patch of uranium under your feet, something like this would do the trick:

/c local surface = game.local_player.surface;
for y=-2,2 do
 for x=-2,2 do
  surface.create_entity({name="uranium-ore", amount=5000, position={game.local_player.position.x+x, game.local_player.position.y+y}})
 end
end

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Thanks for the answers!

I actually like it that ore only appears in unexplored areas, it gives a kind of "role play" explanation that I found uranium somewhere far away and that triggered me to start researching nuclear tech.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

;) mod update in 13.0?

Peppe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Peppe »

Unofficial .13 version attached.

Surprisingly simple conversion -- expected a bunch of circuit prototype issues.

I don't have a good test base to test with yet, so let me know if any issues in actual use.
Attachments
Nucular_0.2.0.zip
.13 Unofficial
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 176 times

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

A note for 0.13: all the temperature-manipulating fluidBox crap should be ripped out of the scripts and the steam temperature set in the reactor recipe, as per the changes in KSPower. As well as improving performance, this will fix the problem where the water isn't always 100 degrees (depending on reactor orientation and placement order).

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

I absolutely love this mod and look forward to using it in 0.13 (I'll try Peppe's version for now).

Thanks a lot for making it; the only thing that could be improved is the graphics of the reactor.

The balance is great, it's difficult to get a setup, but then you're rewarded with a lot of energy for not much resource cost.

It's so much better than boring Solar or Steam Power which just doesn't scale into the GW territory.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Here's another unofficial update, this is based on Peppe's update
Nucular_0.2.1.zip
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
  • Fixes steam temperature to use new 0.13 modding features, should now be completely reliable.
  • Fixes uranium ore spawning frequency (vanilla game).
I've also added a new feature: There is now config.lua and inside it you can set steam_temperature, it defaults to 1000 as per the base mod, but you can set it to anything you like and the script will automatically adjust the recipe water quantities so the reactor still generates ~10MW of output. I personally like to have steam_temperature at 250 which is a close to real life value, the water logistic (pipes, offshore pumps and storage tanks) is still 2.5x easier than with boilers, but not 10x easier, which I feel is a better balance in terms of improving scalability without trivializing water logistics.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

LOL, Blake. I'm just inside the editor, making those changes you've suggested (removing fluid box code and using temperature property). Now you've beaten me to it :).

Thanks a lot, I'll try your version right away.

Those water/steam rescaled (you had mentioned that much earlier already) are probably a good idea. I don't think getting water to the power plant is a huge challenge in any case, but I think storing energy in tanks is a little too easy with the default values, so I'll probably try your values (250 celsius).

Edit: Works like a charm, thanks a lot for sharing.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Simdezimon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13] Nucular 1.0.0 - Nuclear Reactors and Weapons

Post by Simdezimon »

Finally made an official 0.13 release.
There are some bigger changes, you have to relocate some inserters because the reactor input and output is gone. The fuel recipes are now less complicated. They still do the same things, use the same resources, but are more intuitive. Or so I hope.
If you don't want these changes, use one of the unofficial updates.

Also changed the steam temperature to 250°C.
Added a steam boiler, so that you can use your steam engines with nuclear and organic fuel at once.

In the config.lua you can set the value nucular.advanced_steam to true, with this advanced oil recipes require steam instead of water.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

What I like about the new release:
  • Reactor input/output has been removed (those made it too difficult to build a power plant without robots)
  • Steam boiler (good for backup)
  • Changed steam temperature (more balanced)
What I don't like so much:
  • Simplified recipes; I've liked the complex recipes, because nuclear power is very complex technology, and the recipes reflected that. It was a good challenge to figure out the chain, it has now been made a bit easier. Requiring steel was not a problem after it got rebalanced.
  • Faster turn-around for nuclear fuel (change in fission recipe); I'd prefer the old way of slow burning fuel rods that only got replaced occasionally. That's very much how nuclear works in reality (rods only get replaced every few years, and it's a major operation).
  • New graphics for fuel rods; the old ones were better, you could see the individual fuel rods, it looked very organic and integrated well with the rest of the game. The new ones aren't bad, but a bit boring.
Maybe I'll make a mash-up of the old and new versions for myself.

Will you put the latest versions on GitHub?

Solomon_97
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Solomon_97 »

How well does this work with multiplayer? Anyone tested it?

Return to “Mods”