[MOD 0.12.26] Laser Beam Turret

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.12.26] Laser Beam Turret

Post by Klonan »

Escadin wrote:Is there any reason why these turrets only deal 10 damage instead of 20 (regular laser turret)? Makes them look pretty weak against behemoths!
Oh i didn't notice this,
I've fixed it and updated the OP with the new downloads

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I grabbed the fixed damage one and version number in json file seems to be unchanged so there is a mismatch on game start.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

orzelek wrote:I grabbed the fixed damage one and version number in json file seems to be unchanged so there is a mismatch on game start.
My bad, fixed it in OP

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Do I see correctly it would be kind of difficult to make it work with bob's warefare mod turrets?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

orzelek wrote:Do I see correctly it would be kind of difficult to make it work with bob's warefare mod turrets?
Not really, but i don't really have time to remake this mod for all different mod variations of laser turrets.
But all you'd have to do is change the mod laser turrets to fire the beams in my mod, and to set the damage scale in the laser turret prototype to scale the damage for its level, or just remake the beams with higher damage.

The simple one really demonstrates the changes you'd need to make

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

This is not working for me... the laser turrets still shoot and kill the biters but there is no visible beam and no sound
I've tried:
factorio version 0.12.26 with laser beam turret 0.1.4, 0.1.3, laser beam turret simple 0.1.4
factorio version 0.12.27 with laser beam turret 0.1.4
at first I had some other mod enabled, but I disabled them and started a new world
graphics card issue perhaps? I only have a laptop with integrated graphics but I wouldn't expect that to be a problem

Zaeon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zaeon »

I'm having the same issue I assure you it's not a graphics card problem. Not sure what it is yet, I'll let you know if I fix it.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Zaeon wrote:I'm having the same issue I assure you it's not a graphics card problem. Not sure what it is yet, I'll let you know if I fix it.
So the attack damage is done on the first frame of the animation,
If the biter dies from that one attack, the rest of the animation won't play, so it looks like its not making the beam

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

oookay yes, on a different world with tougher biters it works properly

nerdkusi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nerdkusi »

This breaks blueprints with turrents :(

Its because Laser turret item places as laser beam turret, and construction bots don't know what turret to use.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

nerdkusi wrote:This breaks blueprints with turrents :(

Its because Laser turret item places as laser beam turret, and construction bots don't know what turret to use.
Blueprints should work, which version of the mod are you using?

nerdkusi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nerdkusi »

Klonan wrote:
nerdkusi wrote:This breaks blueprints with turrents :(

Blueprints should work, which version of the mod are you using?

Checked again, it works perfectly, not sure what was causing the issue earlier, but quite clearly bots didn't want to place turrets from my inventory while happily placing walls and such.
False report then, works now.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

I tried this out last night and I'm liking it a lot. It's much easier to see what a laser is targeting at any given time and the phaser pew pew sound is godly :)

Thanks for this one.

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

I might edit the graphics so that the first frames have at least some visibility to them - it may look slightly less pretty, but at least then you could see it as it was mowing down tiny biters.

If I did so, Klonan, would you be happy with me posting the changed files here, and anyone else, would you be interested in having them?

Edit: First thing that comes up... is the spritesheet data for the laser beam head supposed to have a height of 1? And a width of 45 sometimes, but not always? That seems a little odd.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Darloth wrote:I might edit the graphics so that the first frames have at least some visibility to them - it may look slightly less pretty, but at least then you could see it as it was mowing down tiny biters.

If I did so, Klonan, would you be happy with me posting the changed files here, and anyone else, would you be interested in having them?

Edit: First thing that comes up... is the spritesheet data for the laser beam head supposed to have a height of 1? And a width of 45 sometimes, but not always? That seems a little odd.
Sure if you'd like you can work on a new spritesheet,
The only one with a height of one is the 'head', because i couldn't get it to look right, so now its invisible

AenAllAin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AenAllAin »

Just tried your mod. Spectacular job on the graphics; it looks amazing. The damage on the other hand is a huge nerf over the regular laser-turrets; when I first used them, my whole turret array was swarmed and overwhelmed; I lost a lot of turrets. Also, when I disabled your mod for sake of the damage nerf, it deleted all of my existing lasers because your mod renames the base entities with color coded name entities, which do not exist without your mod, hence got automatically deleted upon reload of the game without your mod.

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why you don't copy the base turrets damage numbers and hard coded your own static estimates? Also, why did you chose to completely replace the base laser entity? Are you not able to inherit or override?

Anyway, thanks for the mod; I still like it. Without those two issues, I think it would be perfect.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

AenAllAin wrote:Just tried your mod. Spectacular job on the graphics; it looks amazing. The damage on the other hand is a huge nerf over the regular laser-turrets; when I first used them, my whole turret array was swarmed and overwhelmed; I lost a lot of turrets. Also, when I disabled your mod for sake of the damage nerf, it deleted all of my existing lasers because your mod renames the base entities with color coded name entities, which do not exist without your mod, hence got automatically deleted upon reload of the game without your mod.

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason why you don't copy the base turrets damage numbers and hard coded your own static estimates? Also, why did you chose to completely replace the base laser entity? Are you not able to inherit or override?

Anyway, thanks for the mod; I still like it. Without those two issues, I think it would be perfect.
Since mod adds new entities - I think you seen what would happen if your turrets had no upgrades :D

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

AenAllAin wrote:Just tried your mod. Spectacular job on the graphics; it looks amazing. The damage on the other hand is a huge nerf over the regular laser-turrets; when I first used them, my whole turret array was swarmed and overwhelmed; I lost a lot of turrets. Also, when I disabled your mod for sake of the damage nerf, it deleted all of my existing lasers because your mod renames the base entities with color coded name entities, which do not exist without your mod, hence got automatically deleted upon reload of the game without your mod.

The damage is exactly the same as the normal laser turret damage in the latest version,

In the laser turret simple, It just chanegs the base laser turret, this is the version i use as its better IMO, but the fancy one with different colours had to replace the entities, and its what people requested in the mod

AenAllAin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AenAllAin »

Klonan wrote:...
The damage is exactly the same as the normal laser turret damage in the latest version,

In the laser turret simple, It just chanegs the base laser turret, this is the version i use as its better IMO, but the fancy one with different colours had to replace the entities, and its what people requested in the mod
I see that the constant number used is the same, but the damage is not. I'm just speaking empirically. If I were to guess, I would say that for some reason the damage upgrades are not being applied.

As for the coloring ...yeah, we do love our colors lol!

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

AenAllAin wrote:
Klonan wrote:...

I see that the constant number used is the same, but the damage is not. I'm just speaking empirically. If I were to guess, I would say that for some reason the damage upgrades are not being applied.

As for the coloring ...yeah, we do love our colors lol!

The damage upgrades and shooting speed updates are all applied correctly,
What version of the mod were you using?

Return to “Mods”