[MOD] LogisticsUtility

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Kasp3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD] LogisticsUtility

Post by Kasp3r »

Hi guys!

If you want to contribute you can make pull request here: https://github.com/Kasperki/LogisticsUtility or make a new issue if you want to see new stuff.
The Git Repository is separeted currently in 2 different mods.

Logistics Signs - 0.0.6 - Factorio 0.14.X

Bigger signs lets you to write messages.

Small signs let you make signs with icons.

Download here: https://github.com/Kasperki/LogisticsUt ... _0.0.5.zip

Logistics Coloring - 0.0.4 - Factorio 0.13.X

Idea with coloring entities is that you can easily mark your networks, what belt goes where and does what.

Download here: https://github.com/Kasperki/LogisticsUt ... _0.0.4.zip

Any feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by Kasp3r on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] LogisticsUtility 0.0.1

Post by y.petremann »

Please distribute a zip instead of a rar, zip can be directly used as mods

Kasp3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] LogisticsUtility 0.0.1

Post by Kasp3r »

y.petremann wrote:Please distribute a zip instead of a rar, zip can be directly used as mods
Oh I uptaded the rar to zip, thanks for the information :D

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] LogisticsUtility 0.0.2

Post by Murlocking »

Kasp3r wrote:Hi guys!

I bought this game 2 weeks ago from steam and the game is great!
I noticed that what I needed is color coded belts, so I decided to make my first mod ever.
Now it also has signs!

If you want to contribute you can make pull request here: https://github.com/Kasperki/LogisticsUtility or make a new issue if you want to see new stuff.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Do you guys think that the colored belts should be researched in their own technology?

The mod looks like this now:
Colorcoded belts

Signs

Download here: http://users.metropolia.fi/~kasperki/Lo ... tility.zip

Known issues:
Horizontal belt from right to left next to vertical belt will have colored bar over the belt
Can't add colors to corners.

What I want to make
  • Make this work with color coding mod or integrate it part of this and add colored cargo wagons
    Make more signs and update the font to look better
    Be able to give names to chests.

Can you explain how this works and why would someone use those?
I can't seems to imagine how this work :D

I like the sign idea by the way!

Maybe a little demonstration video would be great!

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I like the Signs a lot too. Current I use the Letters mod, which someone was kind enough to update to alpha 0.12, but alternatives would be nice.

I think the idea of the colour-coded Belts is as an aid for inexperienced players to be better able to see where stuff is going to go, to se what is going to end up where, before they actually put the stuff onto the Belts. As such, I think it's mostly a mod catering to newbie players inclined to make spaghetti Belt messes, whereas more experienced players won't need it because even if some of us don't go as far as actual bussing, we do know how to keep our Belts separate.

But as I said, I like the Signs a lot. I'd like to see this split into two separate mods, one for Signs and one for the colour-coded Belts.

Kasp3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kasp3r »

Peter34 wrote:I like the Signs a lot too. Current I use the Letters mod, which someone was kind enough to update to alpha 0.12, but alternatives would be nice.

I think the idea of the colour-coded Belts is as an aid for inexperienced players to be better able to see where stuff is going to go, to se what is going to end up where, before they actually put the stuff onto the Belts. As such, I think it's mostly a mod catering to newbie players inclined to make spaghetti Belt messes, whereas more experienced players won't need it because even if some of us don't go as far as actual bussing, we do know how to keep our Belts separate.

But as I said, I like the Signs a lot. I'd like to see this split into two separate mods, one for Signs and one for the colour-coded Belts.
Like Peter said idea of the colour-coded belts is the help organize the belts. It helps to see what the belts should have and
also helps when playing with multiple people you can just say that you want stuff x to the blue belt.

Glad you like the signs :)
I have been thinking about separating them if someone just wants the signs or the belts.
I hope factorio will make managing mods easier so that you can download them from the host, so it would no be such a hassle.

What do you btw think should the signs have their own technology?
Currently Im trying to make the text on the signs smoother and add like a billboard sign.

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

I would separate the 2 mods and give them their own technology.
They are both great ideas!

I would suggest adding more screenshots to better explain how the color belts work tho. :lol:

Mossarelli
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mossarelli »

There are 2 bugs that I've found so far, in which 1 is a game breaking bug.

1. Destroying a sign does not remove text or icon, the text stays on the ground.

2. After playing for more than 2 hours, one sign started missing letters. The text was initially: Alpha Coal Mine, but became: A p a Coal Mine. To correct the mistake I removed the sign to place a new, but the server crashed with a script error.

Suggestion:
Look into the vanilla station stop item's script to find a stable method to write text into memory. Make an event handler for onDestroyed or similar for the sign to make sure the text is garbage handled on destruction just like when you remove it.

Thank you for a much needed mod.

And as suggested: Separate into 2 mods. One with signs and one with colored belts.

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

So, this is why no one downloads my signpost mod anymore. Great idea with them entity fonts.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Kasp3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kasp3r »

Mossarelli wrote:There are 2 bugs that I've found so far, in which 1 is a game breaking bug.

1. Destroying a sign does not remove text or icon, the text stays on the ground.

2. After playing for more than 2 hours, one sign started missing letters. The text was initially: Alpha Coal Mine, but became: A p a Coal Mine. To correct the mistake I removed the sign to place a new, but the server crashed with a script error.

Suggestion:
Look into the vanilla station stop item's script to find a stable method to write text into memory. Make an event handler for onDestroyed or similar for the sign to make sure the text is garbage handled on destruction just like when you remove it.

Thank you for a much needed mod.

And as suggested: Separate into 2 mods. One with signs and one with colored belts.
The text is made by creating new entities.
Can entities just despawn?

I think the it crashed because when removing the sign, in event: events.on_preplayer_mined_item it tried to destroy entities that had already been destroyed.
Just need to figure out why the letters were missing.

Kasp3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kasp3r »

I have new font now for the sings, what do you guys think about it.

Next thing what I will do is to divide the mods, beacause a lot of you have asked for it.
And make them have own technologies and subgroups.

dragon1600
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dragon1600 »

hello, i have 2 problems.

first: when i download the file and put it in the mods folder it tells me the name is incorrect and missing _0.0.2 in the line.

second: i am getting this error: Error while running the event handler: _ _ LogisticsUtility_ _/control.lua:51:attemot to index field 'parent'(a nil value)

please fix :)

Kasp3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kasp3r »

dragon1600 wrote:hello, i have 2 problems.

first: when i download the file and put it in the mods folder it tells me the name is incorrect and missing _0.0.2 in the line.

second: i am getting this error: Error while running the event handler: _ _ LogisticsUtility_ _/control.lua:51:attemot to index field 'parent'(a nil value)

please fix :)
Hey,

I have realeased a new version where 1) is fixed and many other improvements.
Sadly I could not reproduce 2) issue, please try the new version if that fixes it.

Xmat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.X] LogisticsUtility 0.0.3

Post by Xmat »

Hello,

in the first place, thank you for the great mod, I was looking for signs in Factorio for a long time. It runs pretty well, no sign of any mentioned errors. I have created czech localization for my own use. I hope you don't mind. :-)

I have just one suggestion regarding the font. This one is like from Marvel comic. It should be (imho) smaller, thinner, more factorio-like.

Have a nice day!

Kasp3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kasp3r »

Xmat wrote:Hello,

in the first place, thank you for the great mod, I was looking for signs in Factorio for a long time. It runs pretty well, no sign of any mentioned errors. I have created czech localization for my own use. I hope you don't mind. :-)

I have just one suggestion regarding the font. This one is like from Marvel comic. It should be (imho) smaller, thinner, more factorio-like.

Have a nice day!
Hi,

Great that you like my mod :D
If you want others to be able to use your localization you can submit it to here: https://github.com/Kasperki/LogisticsUtility with pull request.

Yeah the font is a bit Comic Sans like and a little large. I'm working on making it to look better.

Xmat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xmat »

Hello,

ahh, I hate git. :-D what should be the push / request pull command? (after I have commited changes to local working copy)

And I have found one bug, maybe. I have all technologies researched, but I still can't build colored fast belts (the red ones). I can build the yellow (basic) and blue (express), but the red ones are not in my crafting menu (E key).

Kasp3r
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kasp3r »

ahh, I hate git. :-D what should be the push / request pull command? (after I have commited changes to local working copy)

And I have found one bug, maybe. I have all technologies researched, but I still can't build colored fast belts (the red ones). I can build the yellow (basic) and blue (express), but the red ones are not in my crafting menu (E key).
Making pull request is quite simple.

You can't make the pull request without first forking the original repository, https://github.com/Kasperki/LogisticsUtility Top right corner.
Now you should have the fork of the repository on your account.

Clone your repo to your localmachine.
Add & Commit & Push your changes to your repository.

Then you can make pull request.
The pull request is made from the original repository webpage on github.
You don't need to use git bash / git commands for forking and making pullrequest.

Here is githubs article on pull requests: https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/

Xmat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xmat »

Ok. Done. If you want to keep czech localization updated, just PM me when you are going to release some new content and I will update translation. :-)

Novae7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Novae7 »

I got a bug,

i installed the mod on a running Map, i have already researched the most stuff.

but i can't build the red/blue

ehhhm.... yep same bug here ^^

alesque
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alesque »

Hi, thanks for the mod. It's a very useful one !
Small signs let you make signs with icons.
Is it possible to change the icon of the small sign ? I installed the sign mod and I can't find a way to do so. What I would like to do is change the icon of the small sign to light oil, heavy oil, ect ... to have better visuals for some circuits that I have made in my refinery.

Return to “Mods”