[MOD 0.16] Swarm 1.2.0

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.16] Swarm 1.2.0

Post by Supercheese »

Beware the Swarm
(Sorry the .gif's not great, I'm not the best at image/video things.)

Info: Long Description:

Beware the swarm! This mod makes larger biters and spitters fragment into multiple smaller enemies on death. Now, for instance, killing a medium biter means you have to deal with the small biters that spawn from the medium corpse.
Spawners, too, release enemies when they die. Now you have to be more careful when clearing enemy bases, because if the evolution factor is high enough, you might be faced with multiple behemoths appearing for each spawner you kill!

This mod also supports the following:
The configuration options available in config.lua control how many and what sort of enemies spawn when larger enemies die. Here you may adjust these if you so wish (it's quite the wall of text).

The in-game Mod Options also has two Swarm settings available: you can choose that enemies should NOT fragment into smaller versions on death, only spawners -- or vice versa. Disabling both options effectively disables the mod entirely.
You can access these settings from the main menu via: Options -> Mods. You should even be able to change them mid-game in singleplayer or if you are an admin in a multiplayer match.

Known Issues:

Factorio's pathfinding algorithm can choke when large waves of biters crash against your defenses, especially now that so many more small biters are spawning from the corpses of their larger brethren. This may lead to severe lag.
If it becomes unbearable, you have two recourses: Disable the biter-fragmentation entirely by toggling the appropriate setting in the Mod Options, or reduce the number of sub-enemies that spawn in the Advanced config section.
Additionally, firing an ion cannon, Big Bang, artillery cannon, or other weapon of mass destruction at a large enemy base may lead to lag as well. This is to be expected, when the game is suddenly spawning in hundreds of new fragmented small enemies.

Feedback etc.

I can guarantee that this mod has a lot of bugs. Y'know, the ones that attack your base ;). Please report any errors, should you encounter any.
Version history
Attachments
Swarm_1.2.0.zip
(8.84 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Swarm_1.1.0.zip
(9.03 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Swarm_1.0.6.zip
(7.96 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Swarm_1.0.5.zip
(7.95 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Swarm_1.0.4.zip
(7.92 KiB) Downloaded 1594 times
Last edited by Supercheese on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:52 am, edited 15 times in total.

Vatharian
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.22] Swarm 1.0.0

Post by Vatharian »

Does firing an Ion cannon actually wipes them all, or only 'current generation' and only forces new spawnlings?
Veni, Vici, Spaghettici - never bus! (tm)

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Vatharian wrote:Does firing an Ion cannon actually wipes them all, or only 'current generation' and only forces new spawnlings?
Only the current biters, the spawnlings indeed survive a single cannon blast. To wipe them all out, best fire two. Or three. ;)

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

Hello, could you add support for 5dim's Mod enemies too please?
It doesn't seem to spawn any "Swarm" with these 2 mods together since 5dim's Mod add their own enemies.

Here's a link to the download page for that mod if you're willing to integrate support!
http://5dimmod.com/mod-battlefield.php
http://5dimmod.com/download.php?where=web

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.29] Swarm 1.0.1

Post by Supercheese »

Murlocking wrote:Hello, could you add support for 5dim's Mod enemies too please?
It doesn't seem to spawn any "Swarm" with these 2 mods together since 5dim's Mod add their own enemies.

Here's a link to the download page for that mod if you're willing to integrate support!

Ah, I was unaware of the existence of this mod. Version 1.0.1 is now released to add support for it. :)

Murlocking
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Murlocking »

Supercheese wrote:
Murlocking wrote:Hello, could you add support for 5dim's Mod enemies too please?

Ah, I was unaware of the existence of this mod. Version 1.0.1 is now released to add support for it. :)
:shock:

That speed would impress even The Flash....
Thanks for update! 8-)

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Thank you for supporting 5dim! ;)

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Hey Supercheese,

Just wanted to say I like this mod. Like seeing enemy improvements.
I might even use some of your code in my next update.

Good work!

BlackEagles
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BlackEagles »

Hey Supercheese,

Great coding! I love this mod. It make the whole game more realistic and it looks very nice!

But yesterday, there come a bug upon me:

Error while running the event handler: __Swarm__/control.lua:57: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

This happens while I attack some spawner and run back to my turrets. It could be happen as one spitter has been killed.
But I dont know for sure.
I have misantrophe, bobenemies, dytech, 5dim, natural evo and a big bunch of other mods.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

BlackEagles wrote:Hey Supercheese,

Great coding! I love this mod. It make the whole game more realistic and it looks very nice!

But yesterday, there come a bug upon me:

Error while running the event handler: __Swarm__/control.lua:57: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

This happens while I attack some spawner and run back to my turrets. It could be happen as one spitter has been killed.
But I dont know for sure.
I have misantrophe, bobenemies, dytech, 5dim, natural evo and a big bunch of other mods.
Misantrophe and bobenemies and dytech and 5dim AND natural evolution?! Hot dang, you must be a sucker for punishment!

Would you happen to have a save file I could use for debugging? I'd need a complete mod list as well.

BlackEagles
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BlackEagles »

So here are finally the save, where the bug occured. But maybe you dont have fun with it. we use many Mods, but all work fine together and when a bug ocured in most of the cases i can fix. But this bug.... I dont understand where the Problem is. We supposed that Misantrophe is the Problem, but after Misantrophe is removed the bug occured twice. But the bug occured rarer. So I dont know. And the error message say anything ^^

Save:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/424ab ... n-1-13.zip

And the Mod "BEP" you will never find now, cause thats our mod and not finally finished ^^ But you are the first person which will get it in beta :)
Newest version: BEP_0.28
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5wsyp ... 0.0.28.rar

Alfine
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Alfine »

can I add biters from mods not in the list?

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Alfine wrote:can I add biters from mods not in the list?
Which mods?

You can freely edit the config file, paying attention to adhere to the format provided, but I would be interested in knowing about other mods that add new types of enemies.

Alfine
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Alfine »

Supercheese wrote:
Alfine wrote:can I add biters from mods not in the list?
Which mods?

You can freely edit the config file, paying attention to adhere to the format provided, but I would be interested in knowing about other mods that add new types of enemies.
Vampire biters

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Alfine wrote:Vampire biters
Aha, must've missed that mod.
Version 1.0.3 is released to add support for Vampire Biters. :)

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.33] Swarm 1.0.3

Post by TheSAguy »

Hey Supercheese,

Could you implement a small change in the next release. Make the 'Force' of the newly created units the same as the force of the unit that died?
Currently, if you have a unit under your control and it dies, the newly spawned units will be enemies.

(Same for the Vampire Mod, that force will be enemy and not Vampire.)

Thanks.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.34] Swarm 1.0.4

Post by Supercheese »

TheSAguy wrote:Hey Supercheese,

Could you implement a small change in the next release. Make the 'Force' of the newly created units the same as the force of the unit that died?
Currently, if you have a unit under your control and it dies, the newly spawned units will be enemies.

(Same for the Vampire Mod, that force will be enemy and not Vampire.)

Thanks.
Good catch, thanks for the report; it's fixed in version 1.0.4.

func_door
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.35] Swarm 1.0.4

Post by func_door »

Hi, I've found the lag issue is cleared up a bit if you queue the spawns. Add to the queue instead of spawning them directly, and then every tick, pull some creatures from the queue to spawn them.

My dirty solution is here, anybody is free to use it: http://pastebin.com/raw/idyfDtBs diff: https://www.diffchecker.com/jddgkcup (spawns 3 enemies a turn, will re-queue if no space is found. toto: trim the queue if a spawn fails repeatedly)

Return to “Mods”