at the very bottom add this

addon-change-icon = function () end
addon_change_recipeitem_icon = function () end

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.21] ShinyBob_v0.14.10

Post by obuw »

Hmm okay I think I was overlooking some of the options in the config file, for I thought setting pumpjack_graphics to false would also set all its underlying settings like pumpjack_tint, pumpjack_graphics_icons etc to false. That's why I still had some icons left.

Now the only issue I have is that the gem names are being changed while their colors are not. So I have red "emeralds", yellow "rubies" and so on. I'll take out the locale changes to fix that, but I just thought I'd point it out as a "bug report". Although I don't think locale changes can be done conditionally so I don't think anything can be done about this.
Obuw's Warfare - Combat improvements

purdueme91
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by purdueme91 »

Love this mod. One question I have is if there is a way to make the color difference more obvious on boilers and engines when you have a vertical layout. Know there's not much to work with on the graphics for that orientation. I could just do horizontal layouts if it annoys me enough.

tux_mark_5
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tux_mark_5 »

I absolutely despise the way the mod silently changes some things. You have to spend unnecessary amount of time figuring if the mod will silently mess something up for you. Furthermore, the config file is a mess. Graphics options are intertwined between behavioral changes, so you have to read it in the entirety to make sure there isn't a recipe change buried somewhere in there. The meaning of some variables is a complete mystery. The only way to figure out what "use_Nexela_code" does is to grep -rn through the whole mod and see where is it referenced.

I really wish the "random recipe/item" tweak part was split off to a different mod.

Inequalitix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Inequalitix »

From Yucie on the Mod Portal:
With big brother installed, the Mk1-5 radars all appear as the normal radar.

This is with the Bob's big brother plugin also installed. Not sure if you can correct it or if the BB mod owners have to, but I thought I'd let you know in case you can fix it.

I would also appreciate it if you split off the non-graphical changes into another mod. It's getting ridiculous. Focus on what you started on.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Inequalitix wrote:From Yucie on the Mod Portal:
I would also appreciate it if you split off the non-graphical changes into another mod. It's getting ridiculous. Focus on what you started on.
I would also echo this opinion. Either default the tweaks to off and make a clear option in the config for those that want it on or split them off. I want shiny bobs for the graphics, not to muck about with gameplay.

robyoublind
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by robyoublind »

Inequalitix wrote:I would also appreciate it if you split off the non-graphical changes into another mod. It's getting ridiculous. Focus on what you started on.
+1. The hodgepodge of new graphics and new items/gameplay changes is the only reason I keep avoiding this mod. What happened to "doing one thing and doing it well"?

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Almost everything in configurable.

In .15 this will be even easier to config.

Most of the changes are basicly to keep things in line with bobmods / planned .15 changes

I.e belt stack sizes

Others are bug fixes.
bots going to quickbar / minable

Other fixes are to help with map size by removing un-needed stuff quicker (corpses, remnants etc)

The only change I can think of off the top of my head that is really "game changing" would be the nitro instead of sulfur if bob revamp is present.

robyoublind
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by robyoublind »

Nexela wrote:Almost everything in configurable.
I understand, but it is still confusing that a mod that seems to be basically a cosmetic fix also does many unobvious small things. That is just too much to cram into a single mod, especially since some are on by default. I bet I am not alone in that I just want unmodified Bob's Mods experience with a color scheme that makes sense, without tinkering with the config and reading the overly long description (btw, there's a duplicate paragraph about lowres animations in the main spoiler). Plug and play. I feel like that is the case for many users that come here having heard about a "bob's mods prettifier mod".

Another sticky point is that being able to configure everything is not always a positive thing. Looking at the description I see two-three settings at most that I expect to be able to change: lowres animation for drills, and icon sets for robot tools/brains. I would put just them at the top, and move the rest lower in the config (addon_* rgb values don't need to be at the top, and just what the heck does addon_blue_* do?). I also suggest removing reduntant options, e.g. all *_graphics_icons, what's the point in changing the models but keeping the old icons? As they say, less is more, convention over configuration and so on. Easier for new users to understand what the mod does, and easier to update too.

My suggestion is to split the mod in two:
  • ShinyBob Graphics - all color-coded models and icons, lowres animations, the menu revamp.
  • ShinyBob Fixes - new chests, changes to tank storage capacity, build/reach distances, extra void pump recipes, extra_recipe_update_alumnia and extra_recipe_sodium_hydroxide_compact (again, balancing changes are buried in a cosmetic group), extra radars and their scan distances, extra_*_inserters, underground belt distances, inventory size, adjust_stack_*, smaller_tree_collision, adjust_corpse_time, patch_loader_speed (this is getting ridiculous), shiny_requester_paste_multiplier, fixes to bots, and all Nexela_* settings that fit here (and maybe rename them while you're at it, this "I-don't-trust-collaborators" scheme is, um..., strange)

qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by qjm123 »

Quick message, now that Factorio 0.15 is out and Bob has updated his mods, I will have a look and update my mod too. I will try to asses some of the issues listed here and in mods.factorio.com site too. There won't be any update at least until end of next week.

Thanks again for your feedback and keep playing this amazing game.

timer67
Inserter
Inserter

Post by timer67 »

with this mod now existing, will Shinybobs be compatible ? (when its updated ofc)

Bortos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bortos »

Looking forward (hoping?) to this mod being updated, as it's great, but I must echo robyoublind 's opinion.

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Hi qjm123
Waiting for any news about update for 0.15
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Please update for 0.15 :mrgreen: this was easily the best bobs graphics/textures mod

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Until/unless this mod gets revived, you can try out my revamp.

viewtopic.php?f=144&t=49788&p=289093#p289093
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Zombiee/ShinyBobGFX

qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.21] ShinyBob_v0.14.10 (0.16 update coming)

Post by qjm123 »

Hi everyone, sorry, got a really busy year and no time to do much about my mod but with Xmas holidays got back into it as I was trying to play 0.16 and... Well, my OCD was crying out for my mod to get an updated!

The update is on the way, not sure yet when I will release it. Probably next week, but don't get at me if it does in two weeks. Lots of new things and a welcome split between all the changes on their on mods, complete rework how they work. There will be 5 mods coming out: Icons, GFX, TechTree, Revamp, Extras. GFX and Revamp are almost ready. Icons will be next, once it is ready, I will get them out and finish the other ones. Hopefully you will like them.

Meanwhile, please have a look at ShinyBobGFX and ShinyIcons, fantastic mods, thanks to [Zombiee] and his mods I've learned so much more about Factorio modding! 8-)
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Zombiee/ShinyBobGFX
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Zombiee/ShinyIcons

Quick pick to show new graphics update (there won't be an HR option until really late this year, this will take too much of my time, I am afraid)
PIC

qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.21] ShinyBob_v0.14.10 (0.16 coming soon)

Post by qjm123 »

Just to ensure that everything is going well and that I had time to work on my update for 0.16, here a quick update of the progress.

So far, menu revamp and graphics are all updated to 0.16 (fixing few things of the non-updated Bob's mods like laser-turrets animations) and ready, I will hopefully finalize the icons today or over the weekend and release them! :lol:
PICS
Thanks for your patience guys.

qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16.x] ShinyBob_0.16.1

Post by qjm123 »

Today (28-01-18) finally able to upload my mods at mods.factorio.com. I think it must have been my poor internet connection as I was able to do so from a friend's house that has a 300/300 connection and it was flawless :lol:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ShinyBob_Menus
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ShinyBob_Icons
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ShinyBob_Graphics

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

qjm123 wrote:Today (28-01-18) finally able to upload my mods at mods.factorio.com. I think it must have been my poor internet connection as I was able to do so from a friend's house that has a 300/300 connection and it was flawless :lol:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ShinyBob_Menus
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ShinyBob_Icons
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ShinyBob_Graphics
Ah well there is a file not found error in _Graphics

Code: Select all

File not found: __ShinyBob_Graphics__/graphics/entity/brass/brass/hr-pipe-to-ground-right.png
There is a typo in prototypes\functions\pipe-pictures.lua line 572.

After fixing this, the next error appeared:

Code: Select all

The given sprite rectangle (left_top=0x0, right_bottom=64x64) is outside the actual sprite size (left_top=0x0, right_bottom=32x32).
Sprite name: __ShinyBob_Icons__/graphics/icons/equipment/fusion-reactor-equipment-1.png.
If this is being used as an icon you may need to define the icon_size property.: __ShinyBob_Icons__/graphics/icons/equipment/fusion-reactor-equipment-1.png
Optera had a similiar issue, maybe he/she can help because i have no idea to fix this.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

qjm123
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by qjm123 »

Ok, thanks a lot for letting me know there was an issue with HR pipes graphics. I never tested them as I didn't do the others entities and just copy and past those pipes from Zombiee. But I made a mistake when fixing paths.

update out on the portal.

For the second error, not sure what could it be. One thing I didn't explain is that you must have the same size icons, equipments/vehicleequipment as mine. icons are 32 and equipments/vehicleequipment depends on how much spaces they use in the gride, from 32x32 up to 128x128 for fusion reactor. Maybe there is something wrong with another mod that changes/lowers their base size to 32x32 and I don't but I still try to load an 64x64. I will have a look tonight and ensure that I force the right size for my icons/equipments to prevent those issues if I get a moment.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Return to “Mods”