[WIP][0.12.22+] Subsurfaces 0.0.4 : build beneath your base

Topics and discussion about specific mods
StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [WIP][0.12.22+] Subsurfaces 0.0.3 : build beneath your base

Post by StanFear »

kiba wrote: It didn't work like that, I am afraid.

I set it to one, but it stopped and appears to use no fuel. I set it to speed 10, and even then it's not indefinite movement with fuel usage..
hum ... well, I don't see another method in the doc, you might need to simulate the game behavior (each tick, drain some energy and set the speed to whaterver you want)
this could work I think
kiba wrote: Also, it doesn't mine while it's running either.
oh right, I actually check that the player is inside to mine ...

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

StanFear wrote:
kiba wrote: It didn't work like that, I am afraid.

I set it to one, but it stopped and appears to use no fuel. I set it to speed 10, and even then it's not indefinite movement with fuel usage..
hum ... well, I don't see another method in the doc, you might need to simulate the game behavior (each tick, drain some energy and set the speed to whaterver you want)
this could work I think
I might have to build invisible furnace to consume the fuel or something.

That gives me an idea: Actual engine rooms that you can enter.

Though I should focus on just getting it to work.

Thing is, I can't think of a simpler and less convoluted way of consuming energy. So I may just end up creating an inaccessible engine room.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

kiba wrote: I might have to build invisible furnace to consume the fuel or something.

That gives me an idea: Actual engine rooms that you can enter.

Though I should focus on just getting it to work.

Thing is, I can't think of a simpler and less convoluted way of consuming energy. So I may just end up creating an inaccessible engine room.
the entity has an accessible field called energy, I think you can remove some to consume it, it would be better I think

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

StanFear wrote: the entity has an accessible field called energy, I think you can remove some to consume it, it would be better I think
I'll have to write the code to calculate energy usage set at the speed of one. it'll be simplified and wrong, but it'll work, I think....

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

kiba wrote: I'll have to write the code to calculate energy usage set at the speed of one. it'll be simplified and wrong, but it'll work, I think....
someone already did that, I think it is in a mod named auto_car or something (the mod allows to control the car using tiles on the ground IIRC), I suggest you try to find the mod and check how he did it !

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

StanFear wrote:
kiba wrote: I'll have to write the code to calculate energy usage set at the speed of one. it'll be simplified and wrong, but it'll work, I think....
someone already did that, I think it is in a mod named auto_car or something (the mod allows to control the car using tiles on the ground IIRC), I suggest you try to find the mod and check how he did it !
https://github.com/diphtherial/factorio-autocar

Found it.

Incidentally, it also implement ideas I am considering for my MagneticFloor mod.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

jorgenRe wrote:
orzelek wrote:There was an attempt to redo RSO a bit to allow for underground ore generation on separate rules - I'm not sure whats the progress on it. It was started by yeganer but I haven't heard from him from some time.

Considering the fact that underground seems quite popular I could try to make RSO work a bit nicer with additional surfaces allowing separate configuration for them. There was an idea that other mods would deliver ore configuration through external interface and thats what would be needed probably for this feature to work. There are some potential quirks with this so it could get tricky in long run (I can think about to many of them to start listing;) ).

MAking this hardcoded into RSO could be simpler - some of the problems might still exist.
What would be best would be if there was this main config for each ore then each surface could apply a multiplier to each ore. Thats atleast what i would do :)!
That would be potentially much simpler interface wise.
It would be probably more then one multiplier tho - something for field amount, size and richness most likely.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Through a rather convoluted process, as tradition of factorio modding, I had managed to move the car AND remove coal.

The proof of concept is complete, my friends.

:D

The next step in the process is building up a proper borer entity and the fuel usage to go along with it. I think I'll screw the fuel formula anyway, but the important thing is the mechanism for removing fuels.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

I've worked on some of the low hanging fruit... There's still a lot of areas I think the existing code could be enhanced and performance improved, but I haven't had tons of free time.

https://github.com/stanfear/FactorioMod ... face/pulls

StanFear,

How interested are you in debugging code, like a dedicated logger for a separate logging file for the mod. Or a Makefile to build the mod? I'd be happy to set these things up, but only if you want them.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Afforess wrote:I've worked on some of the low hanging fruit... There's still a lot of areas I think the existing code could be enhanced and performance improved, but I haven't had tons of free time.

https://github.com/stanfear/FactorioMod ... face/pulls

StanFear,

How interested are you in debugging code, like a dedicated logger for a separate logging file for the mod. Or a Makefile to build the mod? I'd be happy to set these things up, but only if you want them.
well, thank you ! the changes you made are now merged !
I won't make a release yet though, I still have code changes in my local repository

as to debugging, right now, when I need debugging, I just print stuff i the console, or try some code directly in the console, what would your new stuff add exactly ? as to the makefile, same question, what would it add ?

Guest_4544
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Guest_4544 »

StanFear wrote: Future features (maybe)

[*] any suggestion ?[/list]
Maybe a remote explosive charges to blow up those tiles, either by wires/burnable fuse or some kind of a electronic transmission device.
I'd thought to suggest that because seeing your tiles can be destroyed and still works as intended from weapons which have a different damage type.

Could be maybe done by using the entity land-mine and spawning a fake enemy near it when the condition for blowing it up is met.

img

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

as to debugging, right now, when I need debugging, I just print stuff i the console, or try some code directly in the console, what would your new stuff add exactly ? as to the makefile, same question, what would it add ?
A makefile would have commands to automatically package the mod and copy it to the factorio's mod directory.

I have something like it in my mod's git repository, but not as convenient. I am getting there, however.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

StanFear wrote: as to debugging, right now, when I need debugging, I just print stuff i the console, or try some code directly in the console, what would your new stuff add exactly ? as to the makefile, same question, what would it add ?
Good questions. So printing to the console is a great way to debug, but it can be hard to keep track of a lot of information there, especially large tables. Logging to a file means you can review the file even after you quit the game, and have timestamps for when text was logged. I think the main benefit is that instead of commenting out / removing the code where you debug stuff, you can just switch the logger off, when you are done debugging and don't want players to have the debug logs. So it makes maintaining code easier.

As for a Makefile, I am pretty sure you are on windows, but it allows developers from the command line to type in "make" into the command line and the project is zipped up and created correctly, and all the lua files are checked for syntax errors (before even launching the game). I find it very helpful for development, since it can catch Lua syntax errors before I even start Factorio. I think you could just ignore the file if you want to package the mod the old way, or install cygwin on windows to use the Makefile.

Anyway, I was just asking to see your thoughts. No big deal either way.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Afforess wrote: Good questions. So printing to the console is a great way to debug, but it can be hard to keep track of a lot of information there, especially large tables. Logging to a file means you can review the file even after you quit the game, and have timestamps for when text was logged. I think the main benefit is that instead of commenting out / removing the code where you debug stuff, you can just switch the logger off, when you are done debugging and don't want players to have the debug logs. So it makes maintaining code easier.
ok, that would probably be interesting
Afforess wrote: As for a Makefile, I am pretty sure you are on windows, but it allows developers from the command line to type in "make" into the command line and the project is zipped up and created correctly, and all the lua files are checked for syntax errors (before even launching the game). I find it very helpful for development, since it can catch Lua syntax errors before I even start Factorio. I think you could just ignore the file if you want to package the mod the old way, or install cygwin on windows to use the Makefile.
ok, but since I do not restart the game unless I change an entity or something else from the prototypes folders, and work with an unzipped folder, would it really be helpfull ?
Afforess wrote: Anyway, I was just asking to see your thoughts. No big deal either way.
well thank you, just wanted to know so I could tell you it it really interested me or not, so you would not spend time doing something I won't use !

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Guest_4544 wrote: Maybe a remote explosive charges to blow up those tiles, either by wires/burnable fuse or some kind of a electronic transmission device.
I'd thought to suggest that because seeing your tiles can be destroyed and still works as intended from weapons which have a different damage type.

Could be maybe done by using the entity land-mine and spawning a fake enemy near it when the condition for blowing it up is met.
img
first, you must have had some fun with that tank and my walls

anyways, the thing with explosions is that it would damage the walls (not a big deal but still, there is no reason for dirt to be damages) and, it would only remove one layer of walls, (the next layer is only added when the first is destroyed)
I could, howerver, ad some explosive diggs the walls, but that wouldn't damage the player, I think I will think about it !

Guest_4544
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Guest_4544 »

StanFear wrote: anyways, the thing with explosions is that it would damage the walls (not a big deal but still, there is no reason for dirt to be damages) and, it would only remove one layer of walls, (the next layer is only added when the first is destroyed)
I could, howerver, ad some explosive diggs the walls, but that wouldn't damage the player, I think I will think about it !
Alright, thanks mang.
StanFear wrote: I could, howerver, ad some explosive diggs the walls
You mean that instead of creating 1 explosion it makes several explosion in short time? Yeah whatever works the best for you I guess.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Guest_4544 wrote:
StanFear wrote: I could, howerver, ad some explosive diggs the walls
You mean that instead of creating 1 explosion it makes several explosion in short time? Yeah whatever works the best for you I guess.
Yea you can already spawn explosions using code if i could remember what the command/code for that was hmmm.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Lomred
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lomred »

I like that mod because i don't like these train tunnels mods. I think it is more fun to build exactly such tunnels as you implement :P

Lomred
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [WIP][Mod 0.12.last] Subsurfaces : build beneath your base

Post by Lomred »

Airat9000 wrote:good mod!

;) It would be nice to come up in a dungeon more space and the possibility of expanding ie open cells is damaged as a bomb shelter really?
Here is a idea: How about biters that attack these subsurfaces, but you can defend yourself with wallls(and turrets) and you see the worms from the hives underground

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Update on my borer addition:

Got the miniborer running and sipping fuel according to a formula.

You could use it as a sucky weapon on the surface. :mrgreen:

I know that this isn't a huge functional change from my last report, but at least, it's properly integrated code rather than just a proof of concept.

Now I am working on boring and digging stuff.

Return to “Mods”