[MOD 0.12.11+] Underground mining drills

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Overene
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.11+] Underground mining drills

Post by Overene »

Does anyone know of mods that do a similar thing?

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

Here's the updated version created with my updater script.
Attachments
underground-mining_0.1.2.zip
(47.58 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Overene
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Overene »

Adil wrote:Here's the updated version created with my updater script.
It worked for a while but now I'm getting this:

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

I'm super slow/procrastinatey, but I do still intend on updating this.

Until then, you can safely comment out that line. It's debug related.
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

Overene
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Overene »

Schmendrick wrote:I'm super slow/procrastinatey, but I do still intend on updating this.

Until then, you can safely comment out that line. It's debug related.
Thanks. I tried that but it seems to cause issues with several other mods I have.

Overene
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Overene »

Edit: it seems like the issue i was having was some weird incompatibility issue with WaiTex, which i fixed

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Ok so it's been almost two years, and several Factorio changes, but I've finally gotten around to updating this.

A lot of things have been changed, but it should be cleaner overall (part of this is due to Factorio engine changes).
  • Mining underground resources now requires "fracking fluid," which is made in chemical plants from lubricant, sulfuric acid, water, and either iron or stone.
  • Underground resources now generate in a way more tightly connected to the surface patches, making their generation more dependent on map settings (and thus player choice) and thus less dependent on mathematical guesswork or fudgery.
  • The underground resource entity is now potentially split up into multiple "phases" of richness, to accommodate some engine quirks regarding yields. Generally, the results of high richness "dirty" deposits should look much sexier.
  • Underground drills can now access subterranean resources further away, so complete coverage of a field even amidst fueling/belting/filtering support is possible. Because Factorio still simply sums accessible resources for its tooltip displays (instead of averaging them for infinite resources), this means underground drills will generally display erroneously large production rates (which was the main reason I didn't do this before, but on further consideration intuitive usability is more important than potentially misleading info).
  • The graphics for the new drills is still just vanilla graphics tortuously adapted into service. Using alt-mode for setting them up is highly recommended, as the images themselves can be misleading.
  • "For mod developers" mod compatibility settings in data.lua changed quite a bit. New default handling. If you had anything that actually used these, there's a decent chance they'll either be ignored or break stuff now.
underground_mining.png
underground_mining.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2669 times
I'm not calling this a full update, or even something I'm willing to put up on the mod portal yet, but I do consider this to be "public testing" worthy. If anybody is still subscribed to this thread, I figured they might be interested. :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6ktsl5x6y7p7 ... 0.zip?dl=0

Note that because fiddling with versioning is annoying and I'm far from ready to call this done, I may be updating small changes to the file without changing the version number, so if you want to test this in multiplayer you should probably all download a fresh copy at the same time, or distribute the mod manually amongst yourselves, to make sure you all have identical versions.

I'd also avoid using any of the remote.call functions, as I haven't touched or even looked at them yet in the update so they will almost assuredly break things by referencing the old ways.

In addition to the changed "for mod developers" settings for handling resources, I will probably be adding a few player-set settings. For now all I have planned is "all underground ores are finite / infinite," "no fracking fluid" (both of which would override any other definitions), and a global subterranean richness multiplier (which would stack multiplicatively with mod compatibility settings). If you have any suggestions regarding these or any other settings, I'm interested in hearing them.

I'm also considering adding an electric version of the underground drill, with statistics set to ensure burner drills are just generally better (because half the reason I made this mod is because I wanted the interesting logistics of burner drills to stay relevant). The existence of this would probably be controlled by a user setting, default off. It would unlock with Combustion Drilling 3 (which might need a name change :D ) along with the more efficient fracking fluid recipe.
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

Return to “Mods”