Topics and discussion about specific mods
Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[.13-1.1.81] Aircraft (1.8.6)

Post by Thomasnotused »

Type: Mod
Name: Aircraft
Description: Take to the skies and rain bullets on those pesky biters!
License: MIT
Version: 1.8.6
Release: 12/25/2015 (December 25th, 2015)
Updated: 4/17/2023 (April 17th, 2023)
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.13.18, 0.14.23, 0.15.40, 0.16.51, 0.17.69, 0.18.2, 1.1.81
Category: Unofficial
Tags: Planes, jet, flying, controversy, updated, aircraft, vehicle, cargo, fast, vehicle
Video: Klonan 1.0 Spotlight, Xterminator Spolight (A bit outdated, doesn't fully reflect the current standing of things) Trupen 2 Made a more updated video.
0.13 Download: Dropbox
0.14 Download: Dropbox
0.15 Download: Dropbox
0.16 Download: Dropbox
0.17 Download: Dropbox
0.18 Download: Dropbox
1.1 Download: Dropbox
Mod Portal: Finally!
Github: https://github.com/Stifling-Bossness/Aircraft
Long description
Pictures, some outdated
Version history
Credits
Known Bugs
Recommended mods
Last edited by Thomasnotused on Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:12 am, edited 109 times in total.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.20+] Aircraft (1.0.1) NEW PLANES!

Post by Klonan »

Hey you want some working sounds for the different airplane types?

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

License said you're not allowed to modify the mod and distribute it. :shock:

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

kiba wrote:License said you're not allowed to modify the mod and distribute it. :shock:
I had messaged the original author to ask for permission, but in the months that followed he hadn't gotten back to me, and the mod didn't get updated. I waited for a while, but I just wanted to get this out there :D .
Klonan wrote:Hey you want some working sounds for the different airplane types?
That would be awesome!

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

That would be awesome![/quote]

Heres something i cooked up, let me know what you think
Aircraft sounds.zip
(189.86 KiB) Downloaded 604 times

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

SuicidalKid wrote:
kiba wrote:License said you're not allowed to modify the mod and distribute it. :shock:
I had messaged the original author to ask for permission, but in the months that followed he hadn't gotten back to me, and the mod didn't get updated. I waited for a while, but I just wanted to get this out there :D .
That would be awesome!
I am afraid that it still means that you don't have permission.

Not that you will get sued or anything....

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

kiba wrote:
SuicidalKid wrote:
That would be awesome!

Well there is nothing stopping someone from creating a new mod with a similar premise... Yuokis graphics aren't subject to the previous mods licence if he releases them seperately, and factorio prototypes all follow the form factor.

In my opinion, the original licence is too restrictive... but there is 2 options, either make the unofficial one and credit eldwen, or make a new mod, and not credit him at all

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Klonan wrote:
kiba wrote:
SuicidalKid wrote:
That would be awesome!

Well there is nothing stopping someone from creating a new mod with a similar premise... Yuokis graphics aren't subject to the previous mods licence if he releases them seperately, and factorio prototypes all follow the form factor.

In my opinion, the original licence is too restrictive... but there is 2 options, either make the unofficial one and credit eldwen, or make a new mod, and not credit him at all
I don't think it's right to casually ignore license set by the original author, no matter how inconvenient.

But at the same time, the community suffers everytime somebody made such a restrictive license for their mod that even disallowed the possibility of maintenance or modification for future versions of this game.

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

Klonan wrote: Heres something i cooked up, let me know what you think
The sounds are great, thanks :)

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.20+] Aircraft (1.0.2) NEW PLANES!

Post by YuokiTani »

Do you need more flying stuff and which icon ?

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

YuokiTani wrote:Do you need more flying stuff and which icon ?
I think we're good for plane graphics (I can't think of any other planes to put in) and we're missing the icon for the red plane.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

SuicidalKid wrote:
I think we're good for plane graphics (I can't think of any other planes to put in) and we're missing the icon for the red plane.
How's this?
Attachments
icon.png
icon.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 48417 times

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

Supercheese wrote:How's this?
Perfect, put into 1.0.3

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

SuicidalKid wrote:
i forgot the open request for the AC-130 ;)

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

YuokiTani wrote:
i forgot the open request for the AC-130 ;)[/quote]
Oh, hehe I did. I'll go close that.

Eldwen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eldwen »

SuicidalKid wrote:
That would be awesome!

Again, I was messaged, but then you deleted the message before I had a chance to read it.
I posted in my original mod topic that I was working on this mod a full 5 days before you posted with the new content that I planed on releasing. GG for mod jacking.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Eldwen wrote:
Again, I was messaged, but then you deleted the message before I had a chance to read it.
I posted in my original mod topic that I was working on this mod a full 5 days before you posted with the new content that I planed on releasing. GG for mod jacking.
I checked out your profile a few weeks before this unofficial update was realeased (I was tempted to update it myself) and i noticed you had not been online in many months.
From SuicidalKids perspective, I think he was doing the community a good favour by updating the mod, I know a lot of people are exited for the new planes and things (For which the graphics by YuokiTani were available for many months)

In your position i would consider myself lucky that Suicidal update your mod, instead of remaking it to get around your restrictive licence. It would be trivial to write a new mod (named "Jet Planes" or something) and then completely leave you without credit.

Also i checked through your mod topic, and there was no post from you since august, over 4 months ago.

I don't believe it isnt fair to call this 'Mod jacking' , and i do believe if he didn't update it, there would be no update. I think you should instead be thanking him for takin it upon himself to update and improve your mod.

sadness255
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.12.20+] Aircraft (1.0.3) NEW PLANES!

Post by sadness255 »

The post made me make an account, SERIOUSLY ? you can't fucking say it's okay to steal a mods because the mod owner haven't been around, it's the owner right to not update the mod and take it to the grave with him you maybe speak for the community but it is not right, seriously people that is so not nice to do that ...

"In your position i would consider myself lucky that Suicidal update your mod" Again seriously oh well he ONLY didn't respect the license it's okay !

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

sadness255 wrote:The post made me make an account, SERIOUSLY ? you can't fucking say it's okay to steal a mods because the mod owner haven't been around, it's the owner right to not update the mod and take it to the grave with him you maybe speak for the community but it is not right, seriously people that is so not nice to do that ...

"In your position i would consider myself lucky that Suicidal update your mod" Again seriously oh well he ONLY didn't respect the license it's okay !
Which is why development stopped on my 'branch'. I got sick of all the shit, and have continued development privately and have only released it to a couple of friends. Ya know what? We're a lot happier without all this licensing bullshit.

Before anyone asks, I will not be releasing this branch to anyone else because of all the shit I get for trying to help some people out. I'm done.

ShinyAfro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ShinyAfro »

SuicidalKid wrote:
sadness255 wrote:The post made me make an account, SERIOUSLY ? you can't fucking say it's okay to steal a mods because the mod owner haven't been around, it's the owner right to not update the mod and take it to the grave with him you maybe speak for the community but it is not right, seriously people that is so not nice to do that ...

Which is why development stopped on my 'branch'. I got sick of all the shit, and have continued development privately and have only released it to a couple of friends. Ya know what? We're a lot happier without all this licensing bullshit.

Before anyone asks, I will not be releasing this branch to anyone else because of all the shit I get for trying to help some people out. I'm done.
I personally like what you did and agree with you, also i am thanking you for your work on the mod as i do use it myself. I think the original author is a joke, he complained 2 months ago about this and then suddenly still no updates? I speak on behalf of everyone who has used this mod, thanks for updating it. I would love to see more updates to this mod posted from you, as you seem to be the competent mod author of the two (you and the original author) who instead of having a cry actually does what the community wants and makes fun additions to the game. I mean you waste your personal time maintaining someone else's mod and all you get is a "I didn't ask for this, i hate you" . I think you are in the right here, not the original author.

Return to “Mods”