[MOD 0.12.x] NESTT: Build your base inside a train

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Ext3h
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] NESTT: Build your base inside a train

Post by Ext3h »

Bugs:
  • Character enters void plane and dies upon entering a second NESTT locomotive
  • Offshore pumps can pump from the void
  • Underground belts and pipes can pass the void
  • Only the sides of the locomotive count as intake, but not the front
  • Logistic network chests can't be used as intake chests (e.g. Active provider chest will stay empty)
Gameplay issues:
  • Can't clear trees unless leaving the locomotive - which is suicidal with the enormous number of creepers
    Incorporate FARL automated track placement and obstacle removement?
  • Resource intake does not scale properly beyond blue chips - you are limited to at most the throughput of 3 fast inserters per ore type, not even enough for a single red belt
  • Resource patches never deplete - there is no motivation to depart from the prebuilt track
  • Creepers can't be engaged properly prior to having at least the first power armor, thanks to big worms in every single base
  • If it wasn't for the offshore bug, steam engines are consuming far more water than you can take in, so you are forced to rush solar

lukethanuke
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lukethanuke »

Anyone doing a Letsplay of this mod? You would get a subscriber out of me for it.

Love this sort of thing OP, thanks for all your hard work.

xiaohong
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xiaohong »

Ext3h wrote:Bugs:
  • Character enters void plane and dies upon entering a second NESTT locomotive
  • Offshore pumps can pump from the void
  • Underground belts and pipes can pass the void
  • Only the sides of the locomotive count as intake, but not the front
  • Logistic network chests can't be used as intake chests (e.g. Active provider chest will stay empty)
Gameplay issues:
  • Can't clear trees unless leaving the locomotive - which is suicidal with the enormous number of creepers
    Incorporate FARL automated track placement and obstacle removement?
  • Resource intake does not scale properly beyond blue chips - you are limited to at most the throughput of 3 fast inserters per ore type, not even enough for a single red belt
  • Resource patches never deplete - there is no motivation to depart from the prebuilt track
  • Creepers can't be engaged properly prior to having at least the first power armor, thanks to big worms in every single base
  • If it wasn't for the offshore bug, steam engines are consuming far more water than you can take in, so you are forced to rush solar
Wow, thanks so much for the feedback Ext3h. Sorry for not updating this mod. I do get lazy, and I do have other stuff to do in life. From the issues you pointed out I can see you have spent time on my mod and that is very very motivating. I will get to work right away :)

[*]Character enters void plane and dies upon entering a second NESTT locomotive
Will fix

[*]Offshore pumps can pump from the void
This is unintended, and though it's not too game breaking, I think I will remove it just so players will have to pipe water around.

[*]Underground belts and pipes can pass the void
This is a feature. Without this, choke points would be too frustrating to get around. Think of the belts winding back and forth under the train.

[*]Only the sides of the locomotive count as intake, but not the front
This is a feature, the front is reserved for possible upcoming features.

[*]Logistic network chests can't be used as intake chests (e.g. Active provider chest will stay empty)
Will fix.

[*]Can't clear trees unless leaving the locomotive - which is suicidal with the enormous number of creepers
Yes this will need major reworking, always staying in the train is intended. Leaving the train IS suicidal, this is exactly what I aimed for :D

[*]Incorporate FARL automated track placement and obstacle removement?
I will implement a way to lay tracks and remove trees in the next release.

[*]Resource intake does not scale properly beyond blue chips - you are limited to at most the throughput of 3 fast inserters per ore type, not even enough for a single red belt
The highest throughput you can achieve is much higher than what you are suggesting, with just vanilla tech, because spoiler:
spoiler

[*]Resource patches never deplete - there is no motivation to depart from the prebuilt track
Will be reworked.

[*]Creepers can't be engaged properly prior to having at least the first power armor, thanks to big worms in every single base
Intended. In fact I will make it so that even with power armor you will fear leaving the train :D

[*]If it wasn't for the offshore bug, steam engines are consuming far more water than you can take in, so you are forced to rush solar
This is actually more or less working as intended. You can have more water that you think(not using the offshore bug) because spoiler:
spoiler

esotericist
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by esotericist »

xiaohong wrote:[*]Can't clear trees unless leaving the locomotive - which is suicidal with the enormous number of creepers
Yes this will need major reworking, always staying in the train is intended. Leaving the train IS suicidal, this is exactly what I aimed for :D
It's worth noting you can place turrets while driving the train, even if you don't stop. :D

... filling them with bullets is trickier, though without braking.

Ext3h
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ext3h »

xiaohong wrote: [*]Resource intake does not scale properly beyond blue chips - you are limited to at most the throughput of 3 fast inserters per ore type, not even enough for a single red belt
The highest throughput you can achieve is much higher than what you are suggesting, with just vanilla tech, because spoiler:
spoiler
That didn't really work out for me. Even with full stack size bonus research, that's only 10 items per second and inserter, and you can't fit more than 3 inserters around the intake chest. This might be less of a problem once logistic chests are available as intake chests.
xiaohong wrote:[*]If it wasn't for the offshore bug, steam engines are consuming far more water than you can take in, so you are forced to rush solar
This is actually more or less working as intended. You can have more water that you think(not using the offshore bug) because spoiler:
spoiler
The fill rate, perhaps. But the fluid isn't balancing instantaneously. You are limited to the peak flow rate of two pipes, top. Meaning it still takes a while to fill a cascade of tanks, even if the first one is already full.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

xiaohong wrote: [*]Resource intake does not scale properly beyond blue chips - you are limited to at most the throughput of 3 fast inserters per ore type, not even enough for a single red belt
spoiler

[*]Resource patches never deplete - there is no motivation to depart from the prebuilt track
Will be reworked.
Love your mod, please work on it some more :>

But resources do deplete. Which is a problem since you can't yet just go out and modify the track with all the angry ones outside.

And your trick only works for removing stuff from the nest chest faster, it doesn't make the train mine faster. 3 fast inserters are already enough to empty the chest before you get back to the iron ore patch again. What is needed is upgrades to the locomotives mining speed.

Nestt wagons don't heal. If you enter a nestt wagon they will attack it.

I want nested trains! Would be awesome if you could enter other nestt trains that you build. Then I could build nestt trains nested within my nestt trains for extra space. Some way to transfer materials and connect the power grid from inside to outside the nestt trains would be necessary though. How about if we could place nestt chests at the edges of our wagons to transport materials from/to the cargo wagon space in the "outside wagon" from/to the nestt chests "inside"? Much more interesting than simple teleports through a extremely long train.

What does the "d" button next to the enter/exit button do? It seems to add a cargo wagon to the outside of the train but not the inside.

What happens if a wagon gets destroyed? Will I lose the room? And all the ones behind it?

Also the mod uses a lot of CPU time, think it's extra bad when the locomotive is mining. Please fix :]

Juanajones
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Juanajones »

If the loader is ever introduced it would help so much with the ore transfer rate hurdle due to only being able to use 3 fast inserters to extract at the fastest possible speed.
That's only because you can't use a passive/active provider chest though, that would also help

Reese
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Reese »

Mod is quite exciting. Just started playing on it. Only issue i have at the moment is you can only collect resources inside the engine. I could be wrong, but it seems it would be better to be able to collect them in any compartment. Maybe even make the amount of resource inside the nest chest set the priority of filling them up. Ex: 50 ore in nest chest would get the most ore deposited, 1 ore in nest chest would receive the least, but they should all get something..

Thanks for the mod.

Edit: if adding the ability to get resources in any car is not a planned feature, could someone point me in the right direction to see if its possible to enable this myself?

Reviire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Reviire »

This looks pretty fun, will probably play it at some point.

Any chance you will be adding new cart types, locomotive types or track types? Maybe letting them take modules to give them additional functions? That would be pretty cool to see.
Rip goat, more loli
Gizogin wrote:I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

epiccraft_tv
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by epiccraft_tv »

Any plans on making a version of this that can be used in a normal map? Like just the train feature, I think it would be cool since you could make a make shift movable base if you need it :)

-Epic

pumalazooma
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by pumalazooma »

If one uses the landfill water bomb and then fills the hole a new addition can be added in any direction, I made a wonderful park inside my train with a pond/forest. on the grass that was produced, using the subsurface mod I was also able to surface drill into a new space within the train while moving. also the bridge rail can be placed outside the perimeter allowing for great transport within your train. I must note that I have 86 mods working well together including this awesomeness.

justarandomgeek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by justarandomgeek »

pumalazooma wrote:If one uses the landfill water bomb and then fills the hole a new addition can be added in any direction, I made a wonderful park inside my train with a pond/forest. on the grass that was produced, using the subsurface mod I was also able to surface drill into a new space within the train while moving. also the bridge rail can be placed outside the perimeter allowing for great transport within your train. I must note that I have 86 mods working well together including this awesomeness.
It's bigger on the inside?

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

pumalazooma wrote:If one uses the landfill water bomb and then fills the hole a new addition can be added in any direction, I made a wonderful park inside my train with a pond/forest. on the grass that was produced, using the subsurface mod I was also able to surface drill into a new space within the train while moving. also the bridge rail can be placed outside the perimeter allowing for great transport within your train. I must note that I have 86 mods working well together including this awesomeness.
YOU BROKE REALITY! :DDD

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Please share screenshots :D
Sounds lovely!

Darritron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Darritron »

Unfortunately, the requirements are contradictory:
The mod doesn't work for 0.13 because:
  • The RSO is configured for it.
    The NESTT mod is for 0.12.
However, when you revert Factorio to 0.12:
  • The RSO doesn't work.
    The NESTT mod works.
It's annoying.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Darritron wrote:Unfortunately, the requirements are contradictory:
  • The RSO doesn't work.
    The NESTT mod works.
It's annoying.
If you like to build factories inside trains then it will become a feature of Factorissimo in the future. Then you can also have several trains with factories inside them instead of just one train and you go outside if you want. NESTT is pretty great but if you want to build movable factories and your own rail network without limited mining and multiple trains and so on then it is an alternative.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Darritron wrote:Unfortunately, the requirements are contradictory:
  • The RSO doesn't work.
    The NESTT mod works.
It's annoying.
Tried grabbing RSO from it's forum download thread?
I'm not sure if NESTT is usable with it tho since you are meant to be in the train not outside.

pandapurpletail
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pandapurpletail »

Awesome mod, I am big fan of it. Can you make it to 0.13 or 0.14 version?

fingin_pvp
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Update: [MOD 0.12.x] NESTT: Build your base inside a train

Post by fingin_pvp »

i've taken it upon my self to update this mod
https://github.com/fingin/NESTT/releases/tag/0.1.0

to the mod creator: i'm sorry about the description if you want to fix it, please do

FLTgaming
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FLTgaming »

you could use this with RSO and have the iron be seltid on the way to the base

Return to “Mods”