[MOD 0.12.20+] FuPower, Fusion and more. (Now 0.0.13)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Julianus
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.12.20+] FuPower, Fusion and more. (Now 0.0.13)

Post by Julianus »

Important: Belts+ functionality recreated in this mod. Please do not use both at the same time. Map created with Belts+ is compatible.

Type: Mod
Name: FuPower
Description: Selection of late game features for energy, transportation, trains, oil and weapons.
License: MIT License
Version: 0.0.13
Release date: 2015-12-28
Factorio Version: 0.12.20+ Multiplayer
Tested with: 0.12.20, 0.12.21, 0.12.24, 0.12.25, 0.12.35
Category: (Item, Compilation)
Tags: Fusion, Energy, Train, Weapons, Inserters, Belts, RobotsFree, Multiplayer
Download-Url: Download 0.0.13
License
Description
Demonstration
Configuration
Credits
Search for graphics
Version history
Last edited by Julianus on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.20] FuPower, Fusion and more.

Post by Airat9000 »

good!

1) problem - easy, please add to resource in exract to fuel! thanks

Julianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Julianus »

Hi Airat9000,

i do not fully understand, please elaborate.

:-)

Kandor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kandor »

Airat9000 wrote:good!

1) problem - easy, please add to resource in exract to fuel! thanks
Fairly certain he wants you to add a spawned resource to be mined and turned into fuel for the reactors.

Julianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Julianus »

Hi Kandor,

thanks for the guess. Though, it wouldn't make sense.

The process is:

Extract Deuterium->Feed it to the fusion reactor.
Feed the fuel from the fusion reactor the high temperature boiler, which must be operated with a heat transfer fluid (chemistry).

The reactor produces fuel.

:?: :?: :?:

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Julianus wrote:Hi Kandor,

The process is:

Feed the fuel from the fusion reactor the high temperature boiler, which must be operated with a heat transfer fluid (chemistry).

:roll: i am testing you mod ease recipe in Deuterium

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

:( Bug in 12.20
Attachments
2015-12-25_23-30-25.jpg
2015-12-25_23-30-25.jpg (30.2 KiB) Viewed 41631 times

Julianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Julianus »

Dear Airat9000,

The directory must not be called FuPower-master, but must be named fupower_0.0.9. If you extracted the zip, you must ensure the folder is named fupower_0.0.9
If the zip remains packed, the name should be the same as the download, therefore fupower_0.0.9.zip.

Julian

capthavic
Inserter
Inserter

Post by capthavic »

Yeah annoying having to manually change folder name, but nice mod tho.

Julianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Julianus »

Ok, don't know what went wrong the first time, folder name in the zip adjusted.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

please hardness in recipe in deterium

Julianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Julianus »

Ok, Savegame as simple tutorial attached. Hope this helps you Airat9000.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Julianus wrote:Ok, Savegame as simple tutorial attached. Hope this helps you Airat9000.
:D ok!

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Julianus wrote:Hi Kandor,

The process is:

Well i think the getting the resources for the fuel is fine. There really isnt any problem for that, but when you look at the current real world problem when it comes to fusion. Then there is to get it to work. So what you could do may be to make the fusion reactor unlocked in a higher tier(after rocket defence or something) then change the recipe to require lots of parts that all cannot be made by hand, but must be made in an assembler or a new machine. Then you could do something like add new tiers of fusion reactors where as T1 had a chance for catastrophic failure. And higher tiers lowered that chance.

Also if you wanted to be really crazy you could do something like that the player has to do the research himself to find out which design works. And the design is randomized for every world. Thereby the player will feel a unique accomplishment for having found the right one.

Then if you made it a multiblock in terms of just the main machine then inside the machine(or a chest on the side that is checked for its contents using script) the player could easily customize the machine to his likings.

I remember also how industrial craft had such a nice nuclear reactor. You had so many different ways of setting one up, now that is something i believe you could trye and aim for, because we already got atomic power that has its benefits(you got the unique defences and the train so dont you worry about the competition ;)!)

So basically at first you research a basic design. It isnt particurly efficient, but you get some power from it. Later you research some more and can unlock more things you can insert into the chest to customize it. Like lets say a machine that creates ice. And ice you can put into the reactor so it cools down quicker(yes yes i know vacuum stuff like that, but the design isnt perfect yet you know 8-) )
Thereby allowing the player to get a higher amount of energy based on the temperature(yes it should be already frikkin high, but remember we are in a different universe so things got to be acting differently there :P)

Also seeing as fuel is so cheap. Consider having the fusion reactor needing to have some of its magnets changed every now and then ;)!
Good luck, and enjoy modding :)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Airat9000 wrote:please hardness in recipe in deterium
Im sorry to tell you that the current recipe is most likely a realistic recipe ;)!
The whole ocean is our fueltank, it could however be that too little energy is used to get the hydrogen, but i havent checked.

Also to the dev it could be a possibility to use oil to get hydrogen ;)!
Logo

Julianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Julianus »

Hi jorgenRe,

It is certainly possible to make the mod complicated. I am a bit careful about this for several reasons:
* It already took hundreds of multiplayer hours testing to get it to work the way it does now, every feature/step/research can have bugs
* The game already has quite some complexity, I wonder how much is reasonable to add on top of it
* It all has to work with other mods as well, thats why you can switch of parts of this mod

So I am careful about adding intermediate layers and lots of research with scripts implementing random research behaviour.
Though possible, it may mess up multiplayer.

The main design decisions:
* Good replacement for solar power+accumulators, good successor to coal
* No changes to the vanilla game, no new ores
* Fusion should be rather expensive to build
* It should be possible to add the mod to the game later

I believe, its pretty expensive to build fusion. It may not be as complicated as desired, but it takes me usually 10 hours (with constant biter attacks) to get my first reactor. For smaller fusion reactors, there is a high risk of making coal obsolete, even if they are less efficient.

Usually, once I get Fusion, I am near 100% Evolution and the first Behemoth Biters appear. I really need those alien lasers and lots of power to keep my base then. So its a turning point for cheap power, but a required one. Indeed fuel is cheap, it should be after all this trouble.
That is the promise of fusion.

The solar fuel is actually a tribute to Factorio's energy system. My original idea was to heat a fluid in the reactor. This didn't work well (Fluid left Fluidbox before my script triggered after some version change). So I switched to a boiler based system. The alternative usage as fuel in cars, trains is kind of a side effect.

As for the super conducting magnet coils, since when does anything in Factorio needs maintenance? Ever replaced an inserter? Or a belt?
In Factorio everything is premium quality with thousand years guarantee.

I leave the catastrophic failures to the fission department xD.

I think what the mod needs is graphics...

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Julianus wrote:Hi jorgenRe,

It is certainly possible to make the mod complicated. I am a bit careful about this for several reasons:
* It already took hundreds of multiplayer hours testing to get it to work the way it does now, every feature/step/research can have bugs
* The game already has quite some complexity, I wonder how much is reasonable to add on top of it
* It all has to work with other mods as well, thats why you can switch of parts of this mod
rest
Hehe yea taking it to the next level of complication may be too much, but who knows. And yea you are totally right about the randomness thing. That was just an extra written idea :P
Nevertheless i will see if i cannot return to Factorio soon and actually trye out your mod :)
Though i wish we could create more unique power systems that you have to balanse the risk vs the reward, and not just plop down some belts, boilers and steam engines to generate power. :ugeek:
Logo

Julianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Julianus »

Yes, there is no risk, just a lot of cost.

In a way its just a replacement for solar panels, which otherwise usually cover the entire base at some point.
Somewhere inbetween the mods which simply extend the energy efficiency of solar cells beyond 100% (:lol:) and Uranium Power and similar xD.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Julianus wrote:Yes, there is no risk, just a lot of cost.

In a way its just a replacement for solar panels, which otherwise usually cover the entire base at some point.
Somewhere inbetween the mods which simply extend the energy efficiency of solar cells beyond 100% (:lol:) and Uranium Power and similar xD.
PSST solar cells arent 100 % efficient already :P!
Most likely they are around the 75 % range, but probably not 100 % even though we are in the future ;)!
Logo

Julianus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Julianus »

No, but lets assume some future solar cell makes 40%...and we have a mod which takes this by 10...*G*, i think no amorph multi layered trick does that xD.

What can we say...it pulls light in? It draws light in? Or is it based on neutrino radiation? Maybe its the dark energy...it must be.

Return to “Mods”