[MOD 0.18] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.8.2

Topics and discussion about specific mods
RedStoner_Pro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.17] Orbital Ion Cannon

Post by RedStoner_Pro »

Seems the targeting device did not unlock for me. However, I am using forces. It seems this mod is not compatible with forces. All forces are able to utilize the ION cannons that have been launched, yet the targeting device is only unlocked for the player force, not the force that actually launched the rocket. I really hope this can be fixed, as I am in the works of creating a pvp based modpack and the ION cannon is a huge part of the theme.

Outsider
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Outsider »

This looks awesome :D can't to try it out.
Advanced Logistics System - Provides a detailed view of your logistics network and the items within it

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

Supercheese wrote:
Evilness wrote:When i try to use your mod with research queue mod i get error when i start the game. It would be nice if mods were compatible. I also posted this on research queue thread.
Hmm, 'tis quite the error. I get the same thing on my end when attempting to use both Research Queue and Ion Cannon, and I'm afraid I don't know what could be causing the conflict. I know both mods add a GUI element at the top of the screen, and perhaps that has something to do with it, but I really can't say for sure.
Its an error in my mod (Research queue). It's fixed now (I think).

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

Thank you so much for implementing recipes which use bob's parts. Now if only we could get bobingabout to update the recipes for the various rocket parts...

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

excellent mod I more than doubled the blast radius and it just mows everything down lol
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

diongham wrote:excellent mod I more than doubled the blast radius and it just mows everything down lol
Increase it to the whole screen, and 5x the damage, then it will be as powerful as it should be (I did this and had a blast)
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.20] Orbital Ion Cannon

Post by Supercheese »

I've posted a new version. The changes include:
  • Added an option in config.lua to enable/disable the klaxon sound that plays whenever an ion cannon target is designated.
  • Added an option in config.lua to adjust ion cannons' heatup time, i.e. the time between target designation and ion cannon blast impact.
  • Slightly increased the default value of the ion cannon blast radius. (You can of course still change it in config.lua if you want.)
  • Adjusted minimum base version requirement to >=0.12.17, due to graphical oddities present in lower versions.
  • Fixed " Unknown key:"entity-name.ion-cannon-target" " in the defeated enemies list; now it explicitly states that this is the number of times an ion cannon was fired.
  • Both the light generated by an ion cannon blast (best observed at night) and the size of the crater left behind now scale with the blast radius (as set in config.lua).
Sorry, but no fixes for multi-force (e.g. PvP) play for this version. I'll have to keep working at that.

Foxy_Boxes
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Foxy_Boxes »

This is awesome. My only quibble: could you update to the Tiberium Wars firing effect? It just looks more... epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rheHLnQGusg

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Foxy_Boxes wrote:This is awesome. My only quibble: could you update to the Tiberium Wars firing effect? It just looks more... epic.
More epic indeed, but also much more work, I'm afraid. I'm not particularly skilled with textures/animations, so it would be quite a challenge for me. At any rate, fixing the issues with forces/PvP is a higher priority at the moment.

RedStoner_Pro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RedStoner_Pro »

Supercheese wrote: At any rate, fixing the issues with forces/PvP is a higher priority at the moment.
You have no idea how happy that makes me to hear this. :D

Edit-
Also, would it be possible to add some kind of event that is fired, so that another mod can capture when a ion cannon has been launched and when it has been fired. such as

Code: Select all

script.on_event(defines.events.on_ion_cannon_launch,function(event)
  local force = event.force.name 
  announceToAll(force .. " just launched an ION Cannon!")
  { ... }

and

script.on_event(defines.events.on_ion_cannon_deployed,function(event)
  local force = event.force.name 
  local coords = {x=event.x,y=event.y}
  announceToAll("Destruction Imminent at " .. coords.x .. " " .. coords.y)
 { ... }

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

Foxy_Boxes wrote:This is awesome. My only quibble: could you update to the Tiberium Wars firing effect? It just looks more... epic.
Due to the way that factorio does it's effects don't expect to see this any time soon, if ever.

Foxy_Boxes
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Foxy_Boxes »

Timeslice wrote:
Due to the way that factorio does it's effects don't expect to see this any time soon, if ever.
Isn't it exactly the same method as the beam coming down currently? Just displaying a series of frames?
After all it's only an illusion of a 3d inward spiral.

Timeslice
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Timeslice »

Foxy_Boxes wrote:
Timeslice wrote:
Isn't it exactly the same method as the beam coming down currently? Just displaying a series of frames?
After all it's only an illusion of a 3d inward spiral.
Not at all. That was done using 3D models and textures. What is being used now looks to me like just a rip of the sprites that were used in C&C.

*edit* Upon further review of old C&C videos, it looks like the ion cannon effect used here was actually just done by hand. He could do the 8 beam inward spiral without a rediculous amount of trouble, but the rest of the effect is not going to look like what you see in the video you linked.

Telarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Telarin »

I love this mod. It is great for a little late game fun. One addition that might be fun. A radar targeting facility. Once constructed, orbital ion cannons could be placed in automatic mode. In automatic mode, they will automatically target any biter spawners in active radar range. Note that they will only target spawners, not individual biters. They will also only target those that show up in current active radar. You might also want to add a little logic so that if two cannons become ready at the same time they don't target spawners immediately adjacent to each other.

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

ive been using this weapon for quite some time now and it is great! It reminds me of gears of war the hammer of dawn

RedStoner_Pro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RedStoner_Pro »

I am really hoping to see the update that has the forces fixed sometime soon.

Duros1394
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Duros1394 »

I keep getting an unable to fire message where friendly player is within the blast radius.... even though i'm clicking as far away from me as I can

Foxy_Boxes
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Foxy_Boxes »

Duros1394 wrote:I keep getting an unable to fire message where friendly player is within the blast radius.... even though i'm clicking as far away from me as I can
Have you zoomed out first?

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Duros1394 wrote:I keep getting an unable to fire message where friendly player is within the blast radius.... even though i'm clicking as far away from me as I can
Are you using the Long Reach mod as well? I suspect this behavior may be a side effect of that mod changing the default reach radius.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

RedStoner_Pro wrote:I am really hoping to see the update that has the forces fixed sometime soon.
Well, wait no longer, but instead you can test version 1.0.6, just released. :) I tested as far as I could with a single client in a multiplayer game, changing my force around and such, and I would appreciate further testing by you and your cohorts in multi-client, multi-force settings.

Check out the first post for the full changelog; there are a couple new features in addition to multi-force compatibility. One of the features also addresses the issue with the Long Reach mod, as identified above.

Return to “Mods”