Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.7.2

Post by mrvn »

Qon wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:24 pm
mrvn wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:36 pm
That's not what he is talking about there.
I know what he is talking about. But it wouldn't be unbalanced even if you could directly target uncharted chunks without creeping. It's not like this vision far out is something that will benefit you in any way. If you have hundreds of OICs to do this then you are also immortal and can just run over there at high speed safely and just walk through nests as if they aren't even there. This is way past the part of the game where the natives are a threat.

And if you have modded hyper radars then you have already destroyed this non-existent "balance" issue. The modded radars also give you "free" vision far out from your base.

My point stands.
No, even with larger radars you can't explore or place a radar in a black of fogged region. I actually think the artillery is wrong to fire into the black like it does.

So my arguments stand that the OIC should show more than the chunk it hits to show the full blast but not map out black chunks. I think that's a good compromise.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

mrvn wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:27 am
No, even with larger radars you can't explore or place a radar in a black of fogged region. I actually think the artillery is wrong to fire into the black like it does.
I'm not saying that modded radars makes it possible to use OIC in uncharted chunks. I'm saying uncharted chunks become charted and by that also OIC-targetable when you have modded radars. So why not just be able to target uncharted chunks directly for those of us that don't have modded radars? It does make it possible to chart a handful of chunks at a time at even greater distances than your modded super radars, but at those distances it is also so far away that it is already pointless to chart it.

There's nothing out there to discover. You already know that far out enough there's richer resources. And they aren't so far apart that it matters exactly where they are. Even if you had some mod that spawned in ultra rare treasure you probably wouldn't want to search for it with an orbital ion cannon that would destroy it and take a hundred years to find it when you can just place modded super radars further out much faster. At a range of a thousand chunks you have a million chunks. Are you really going to chart those with OIC? Is it even worth the save file space? Nah.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Qon wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:04 am
mrvn wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:27 am
I'm not saying that modded radars makes it possible to use OIC in uncharted chunks. I'm saying uncharted chunks become charted and by that also OIC-targetable when you have modded radars. So why not just be able to target uncharted chunks directly for those of us that don't have modded radars? It does make it possible to chart a handful of chunks at a time at even greater distances than your modded super radars, but at those distances it is also so far away that it is already pointless to chart it.

There's nothing out there to discover. You already know that far out enough there's richer resources. And they aren't so far apart that it matters exactly where they are. Even if you had some mod that spawned in ultra rare treasure you probably wouldn't want to search for it with an orbital ion cannon that would destroy it and take a hundred years to find it when you can just place modded super radars further out much faster. At a range of a thousand chunks you have a million chunks. Are you really going to chart those with OIC? Is it even worth the save file space? Nah.
Actually what I think would happen is this:

1) you target a chunk at the outer range of your map.
2) the explosion reveals a few new chunks that were unmapped before.
3) there are aliens in the new chunks.
4) the OIC targets those aliens automatically.
5) back to step 2 till you run out of OICs.

And every time aliens expand back into your revealed map and a radar finds it it repeats. Could actually be fun to watch.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

A chain reaction of death. Sounds fun. But if you don't want an uncontrolled burn of all your OICs then the mod could just not autotarget newly discovered chunks if those were just charted by OICs.

PooGod
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PooGod »

Not sure what is causing it, maybe it's my odd Windows Headless server setup, but I'm having an issue that when I attempt to connect to my server, it tells me the mod script for OIC is not identical.

I'm running the server as a service (under the system account) so it will start automatically when my PC powers on, before sign in. If I copy the mod-settings.dat from "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\mods" to "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\mods" it works. However, I have to re-do that every time I try to reconnect to the server. I don't see a way to inspect the .dat file to see what is different.

This "can't connect, not identical mod script" error happens if I attempt to connect with my PC (where the server is running) as well as my laptop.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: So, more info, I actually don't even have to copy that file. All I have to do is restart the factorio service, then I can connect.

Shadowlight213
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Shadowlight213 »

This seems to happen after an ion cannon is fired. Anyone attempting to join the mp game gets the "not identical mod script" error until the host is restarted.
It's not just headless. It happens with non headless hosted mp games as well. Would really like a fix for this.

Benneb
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Benneb »

Catching an error on 17.58:

The mod Orbital Ion Cannon caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event Orbital Ion Cannon::on_sector_scanned (ID 7)
__stdlib__/stdlib/area/chunk.lua:40: Require can't be used outside of control.lua parsing.
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'require'
__stdlib__/stdlib/area/chunk.lua:40: in function 'to_area'
__Orbital Ion Cannon__/autotargeter.lua:4: in function 'findNestNear'
__Orbital Ion Cannon__/autotargeter.lua:48: in function <__Orbital Ion Cannon__/autotargeter.lua:18>

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

It seems that changes in the Mod Settings to the Cooldown time do not change the timer. I have set it to 3600 seconds for the cooldown in the menu, but the timer remains at 300 seconds. Can this be looked into?

MageKing17
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MageKing17 »

RocketManChronicles wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:50 am
It seems that changes in the Mod Settings to the Cooldown time do not change the timer. I have set it to 3600 seconds for the cooldown in the menu, but the timer remains at 300 seconds. Can this be looked into?
You're not expecting an already-active timer to change values, are you? The cooldown setting isn't used until you launch or fire an ion cannon; if you've currently got an ion cannon charging, it won't scale its timer value based on the new setting.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

MageKing17 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:12 pm
You're not expecting an already-active timer to change values, are you? The cooldown setting isn't used until you launch or fire an ion cannon; if you've currently got an ion cannon charging, it won't scale its timer value based on the new setting.
They have been fired after the initial cooldown and change in the mod settings. Currently I am at 3600 in the settings, but each ion cannon is only having a 300 second cooldown.

MageKing17
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MageKing17 »

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:27 pm
MageKing17 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:12 pm
They have been fired after the initial cooldown and change in the mod settings. Currently I am at 3600 in the settings, but each ion cannon is only having a 300 second cooldown.
It seems to work fine for me.
Attachments
large_cooldown.png
large_cooldown.png (30.92 KiB) Viewed 6740 times

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jimmy_1283 »

Links removed.
Last edited by jimmy_1283 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.18] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.8.0

Post by Supercheese »

Version 1.8.0 released, thanks for the help there jimmy!

The standard library 1.4.0 was released, so that's been set as the new version dependency.

jimmy_1283
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jimmy_1283 »

Supercheese wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:21 am
Version 1.8.0 released, thanks for the help there jimmy!

The standard library 1.4.0 was released, so that's been set as the new version dependency.
No problems, thanks for the update!

Zombo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zombo »

Sadly the mod doesn't load with 0.18.8
2020-02-23 11_52_02-Factorio 0.18.8.png
2020-02-23 11_52_02-Factorio 0.18.8.png (49.03 KiB) Viewed 6284 times

hedgerc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hedgerc »

Getting same issue with 18.9. Hard to change my biter strategy on 1000+ hour game to go back to artillery. Hopefully a fix will come soon.

Mascky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mascky »

As far as i can see the last experimental version this mod worked was 0.18.6 so if any of you want to play until a fix is made, downgrade via steam.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.18] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.8.1

Post by Supercheese »

Version 1.8.1 out to fix the issue. Thanks to Bellicosity and other folks for their contributions!

Kamel
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.18] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.8.1

Post by Kamel »

Hey,

In 0.15.24: Removed CustomInputPrototype consuming types "all" and "script-only".

Apparently there was some "Migration" in place which was now removed in 0.18.22.

In data.lua the line has to be changed:

consuming = "script-only"

to.. I guess... "none"? Not really sure what it does tbh :D
https://wiki.factorio.com/Types/ConsumingType

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.18] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.8.2

Post by Supercheese »

Yes, exactly that. I've updated that for v1.8.2, which will be available momentarily.

Return to “Mods”