[MOD 0.18] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.8.2

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Okeanos
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.4.4

Post by Okeanos »

Maybe its just me but im unable to find the targeting device in the new version?

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

Okeanos wrote:Maybe its just me but im unable to find the targeting device in the new version?
I should be a crosshair-looking icon in the combat section, above the armor or near it.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Okeanos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Okeanos »

SuicidalKid wrote:
Okeanos wrote:Maybe its just me but im unable to find the targeting device in the new version?
I should be a crosshair-looking icon in the combat section, above the armor or near it.
Yeah it first appears after you send up the first ion cannon, that was my problem :)

R3CONN3R
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by R3CONN3R »

Hey I just thought about a possible feature for Shift-clicking the targeting device.
A queue...
My problem right now is that I only have 16 Ion Cannons and since I'm playing in a deathworld they are all not ready.
Shift clicking would add a target to priority queue. The next Ion Cannon that is ready would attack the selected position.

Novort
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Novort »

Thank you for creating this wonderful mod. I like playing vanilla game, but launching rockets is meaningless there so I usually don't build them at all. And your mod fills this gap just perfectly.

I have one suggestion to make orbital cannons more balanced. All other weapons have some upkeep cost (even laser turrets working on solar energy require a lot of guarded space), but once you launched enough ion cannons - you don't need anything to maintain them. Just place auto-targeting station somewhere and wait until it clears all surroundings.

What if limit the number of shots every cannon can perform before it breaks down? E.g. if one cannon can do 100 shots, it will last for 500 minutes firing continuously. If you want your cannons to fire every minute endlessly - you have to launch rocket every 100 minutes. Fire every 10 seconds? Ok, launch about 4 rockets per hour. The figures are just an example and can be tweaked, but the idea is: the more actively you are going to use ion cannons - the more productive rocket launch facility you have to maintain.

Lonewolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lonewolf »

Just managed to get far enough without restarting a new game to launch 5 ion cannons! Boy they are fun and the sound brings back good memories, thank you! :)

However I cannot seem to get the auto targeting center to work? I crafted it and placed it down and all my cannons are ready to fire but nothing seems to happen.
Manual targeting works just fine.

Do I need to launch satellites for it to work? Because the only thing I ever put into my rockets has been ion cannons

Using version 1.4.4 for Factorio 0.14

** Edit:

I increased the radius in the config from 10 to 50 and it seems to simply have been distance that was the "error" on my part.
Also put down 11 stations, does that increase the scanning speed? It said in the config that increasing the default range value makes it have to rescan a larger area (which makes perfect sense heh)

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Lonewolf wrote:** Edit:
I increased the radius in the config from 10 to 50 and it seems to simply have been distance that was the "error" on my part.
Also put down 11 stations, does that increase the scanning speed? It said in the config that increasing the default range value makes it have to rescan a larger area (which makes perfect sense heh)
Yes, adding more stations increases the scanning speed -- as long as they're the only radar-type entities in a given section, you can monitor their scanning progress on the minimap as they reveal new chunks or go back and scan old chunks, just like the vanilla radar.

Lonewolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lonewolf »

Supercheese wrote: Yes, adding more stations increases the scanning speed -- as long as they're the only radar-type entities in a given section, you can monitor their scanning progress on the minimap as they reveal new chunks or go back and scan old chunks, just like the vanilla radar.
Ahh I see. Also had regular radars going because I thought they would help reveal the bases. Well there you go, more lessons learned :D
Thank you again!

Th3RoguePotato
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Th3RoguePotato »

Hey Supercheese, I noticed you updated the way the auto-targeter work. After I updated the mod, my auto-targeters would no longer work. I determined that the reason was because the targeters would not scan the chucks uncovered by a radars primary vision area. I have a large base with extensive radar cover, and as such most of my autotargeters no longer work.

I was wondering if there is anyway to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Well, you can remove or switch off the regular radars and replace them with auto-targeters, which should then clear out any bases nearby. Once they're cleared, you can put back/switch on the regular radars once more.

Alternatively, you can clear the bases manually by walking there yourself or using the Satellite Uplink Station.

doxsroxs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doxsroxs »

Hi, awesome mod.
We use it to fight the pesky standing thingies that are all over the landscape. Think people refer to them as "trees", horrible things really...

Jokes aside, how do I get rid of the Ion cannon ready spam? Its fun the first couple of times, not so fun once you have triple digit cannons and get to listen on endless spam... :(
Send train to station ID using combinator signal is a long overdue feature!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74663

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

doxsroxs wrote:Hi, awesome mod.
We use it to fight the pesky standing thingies that are all over the landscape. Think people refer to them as "trees", horrible things really...
Jokes aside, how do I get rid of the Ion cannon ready spam? Its fun the first couple of times, not so fun once you have triple digit cannons and get to listen on endless spam... :(
I've just released version 1.4.5, which should reduce the "Ion Cannon Ready" spam by allowing multiple cannons to come off cooldown at the same time.

doxsroxs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] Orbital Ion Cannon 1.4.5

Post by doxsroxs »

Thats awesome! Ill give it a try! :D
Send train to station ID using combinator signal is a long overdue feature!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74663

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

How exactly did 1.4.5 change the cannon ready spam?
It still plays "ion cannon ready" over itself for me.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Optera wrote:How exactly did 1.4.5 change the cannon ready spam?
It still plays "ion cannon ready" over itself for me.
Previously, if you fired off three ion cannons in the same second, then you would inevitably get three separate Ion Cannon Ready notifications later. Now, you'd get only one.

If you fired three over the span of, say, nine seconds, then you'll likely still get three separate notifications.

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

Supercheese wrote:If you fired three over the span of, say, nine seconds, then you'll likely still get three separate notifications.
Maybe make that time configurable ? So people can set it to like 30 seconds when they have a lot of cannons getting ready ? Or is that not possible ?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Thanks for the clarification.
Could you add a configurable time out for messages?

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

The LOS it provides is smaller than a radar, so you can't replace a radar with it without losing coverage. As I've read (and experienced) if a radar has visibility to an area, the auto-target won't work.

This causes a bit of hassle, IMO, as you can no longer have a front-line with non-overlapping auto-target installations to be replaced with non-overlappiing radars as your lines move outward. Can the visible range be increased to match the radar? I didn't see a config option to that affect. If it doesn't exist, could you add one?

This also has the same problem for people once they get the technology. If they've been meticulous setting up radar outposts, then they now have to re-jigger their outpost spacing.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

doktorstick wrote:The LOS it provides is smaller than a radar, so you can't replace a radar with it without losing coverage. As I've read (and experienced) if a radar has visibility to an area, the auto-target won't work.

This causes a bit of hassle, IMO, as you can no longer have a front-line with non-overlapping auto-target installations to be replaced with non-overlappiing radars as your lines move outward. Can the visible range be increased to match the radar? I didn't see a config option to that affect. If it doesn't exist, could you add one?

This also has the same problem for people once they get the technology. If they've been meticulous setting up radar outposts, then they now have to re-jigger their outpost spacing.
I'll add that (and perhaps a couple more) as a config option when 0.15 comes out with the new Mod Options interface.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

That's good news, thanks!

Return to “Mods”