[MOD 12.11+] Train Outposts

Topics and discussion about specific mods
sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 12.11+] Train Outposts

Post by sparr »

Look one comment further up. My patch doesn't remove on_load, it's a bit less hack-y than that.

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

sparr wrote:Look one comment further up. My patch doesn't remove on_load, it's a bit less hack-y than that.
Sorry, that somehow slipped past my attention.

Of course checking for the existence of game will remove the error, but deprives you of any custom settings for bob's. Due to the new design, it will still work, but bob's ores will spawn with default values (so you will have an abundance of gems). Of course, as long as you do not use bob's mods, you're good.

I will still go with my approach for the next release, as this will support everything. Thanks for the input though.

AnarCon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AnarCon »

i get the control.lua109 error as well, got a 6 hours save so id rather nto start over, be nice with a fix soon

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

And here is the fix.
It turned out that I had already thought about this problem but then in the long run of development forgot about that.
Just removing the on_load event was enough.

Happy to hear more feedback and bugs.

AnarCon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AnarCon »

sigh so far only to be stoped by another error :cry:
edit: maybe its due to old save game, ill start over
Attachments
ss+(2016-06-01+at+10.32.32).jpg
ss+(2016-06-01+at+10.32.32).jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 6402 times

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

Can you tell me what you did that produced the error? I have not encountered this myself yet.

pdiddy973
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pdiddy973 »

im getting the same error....it just came up randomly and i can load the game for maybe 30 secs before the error pops up again, i have about 5.5 hours into my current game i can provide the mod list im using if needed

**edit** it seams i can go back to an earlier save about 2 mins ago before my last auto save and it works for longer....idk if is a game time thing or something because it seams it may cut out at exactly 5.5 hours of game play
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (97.89 KiB) Viewed 6369 times

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

It cannot be game time.
But I would guess that around this time, there is a chunk generated which then causes this error.
Would you mind providing me with the savefile that is close to the point of error?

pdiddy973
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pdiddy973 »

I'm currently out ATM I will asap

pdiddy973
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pdiddy973 »

here is the link for the google drive folder auto save 3 is right before the crash and auto save 2 is a few minutes before

https://goo.gl/z5MrwV

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

I think I figured it out.
The problem was with an old game state, which did not initialize everything as in the current version.

I uploaded a new version with a remote interface, use

Code: Select all

/c remote.call("TR", "reinit")
and you should not hit the error. At least this worked in my little testing environment.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

SirRichie wrote:I think I figured it out.
The problem was with an old game state, which did not initialize everything as in the current version.
In the future, you should put checks in the on_load function that update the global data if it's from an old version.
Last edited by sparr on Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

Yeah, thanks for the advice, but I quite know how to program.
In fact, hooking up to on_load does not work as we established above.

It is what on_configuration_changed and migration scripts are for.
Have not had the time yet to get them to work.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

My experiences:

Firstly the amount of iron in the starting area was very small, enough for about 8 miners. Not a huge deal but makes getting started a bit slow

But the bigger problem was once I got my car and went exploring, once I finally hit the resource belt, I found large patches of Iron, Copper, Coal and Uranium all in close proximity. At this point the total no brainer move is to tear up my factory and drive to the resource patches and rebuild the factory at the resources - no trains needed. In fact one could argue that the logical way to play this mod is to beeline the car, then rip everything up and drive off into the sunset to build a new factory at the resources, as the starting area resources are so insignificant and the biters so sparse as to present no real danger.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

BlakeMW wrote:I found large patches of Iron, Copper, Coal and Uranium all in close proximity.
That sounds super lucky. You should find them all about the same distance away, but by no means should they all be in proximity to each other most of the time.
At this point the total no brainer move is to tear up my factory and drive to the resource patches and rebuild the factory at the resources - no trains needed. In fact one could argue that the logical way to play this mod is to beeline the car, then rip everything up and drive off into the sunset to build a new factory at the resources, as the starting area resources are so insignificant and the biters so sparse as to present no real danger.
This is a completely viable strategy for the first move. Not so much the second time, when you've got a base big enough to utilize the second resource patches and you're establishing a dozen train outposts to bring in the NEXT batches of resources.

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

I fully agree that finding many patches in one place is quite lucky.
Unlike RSO, I do not restrict the number of resources per region. In the plays I had though, this never happened.
I probably still would not have torn down my factory, but that is because I like using trains.

If you expand early, the amount of biters will not be a problem, but they tend to spread...

The size of the starting resources is small by design, so you are forced to expand rather quickly.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I mean close as in relatively close - no different to to the screenshot in the OP, for example in the north-north-west of that screenshot there is a copper patch, two iron patches, a coal patch and an oil patch within easy belt range of each other. There's a stone not far away too, not that stone really matters.

edit:
Here is a screenshot
With no option to expand to nearby resources (which could be mainly bad luck as there is no iron or copper nearby although there is stone and coal), my best move is to go North-East, where I found a huge iron patch, copper patches and oil all close enough together to be easily beltable. There is also coal and stone nearby enough.

Btw those are standard settings except enemies which is set to "big"

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

ok, sure. You can find the three close to each other *somewhere* on any map. Moving once will always be an option. Are you going to move to the next "beltable" trio when those run out? No, you'll already have set up trains.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Mod compatibility bug report:

Starting a new game with Train Outposts and Bob's Ores results in the expected behavior.

Starting a new game with Train Outposts then later loading that save after enabling Bob's Ores results in none of the new ores appearing. Even using the "Regenerate" remote call that is part of Bob's Ores has no apparent effect (other than pausing the game for a few seconds while it attempts/pretends to do things).

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

sparr wrote:Mod compatibility bug report:

Starting a new game with Train Outposts and Bob's Ores results in the expected behavior.

Starting a new game with Train Outposts then later loading that save after enabling Bob's Ores results in none of the new ores appearing. Even using the "Regenerate" remote call that is part of Bob's Ores has no apparent effect (other than pausing the game for a few seconds while it attempts/pretends to do things).
Yes, that is still unsupported. I plan to have a regenerate method, but there isn't one yet.

Return to “Mods”