MOD [ 0.18.x / 1.1 ] Bio-Industries

Topics and discussion about specific mods
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.x | 0.13.x] Bio-Industries 1.2.3 - (Formally Bio-Farm)

Post by TheSAguy »

Version V 1.2.4 Released.
I think I fixed the 200 variable limit error. BUT, if you have seedlings planted and you update the mod, they won't grow. So wait till they grow, or remove and re-plant them.
Made Reach an optional Config setting and disabled by default.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Qon wrote:
FalcoGer wrote: or even something like 2x pickup range or movement speed increase are something that's got nothing to do with what this mod aims to do.
It does that? :o :shock: :?
*Reading description*
That is super weird. Why would you do that? You are allowed to post several mods on the mod portal you know? Config is not good enough now that we have a mod portal. When you install from in game you never touch the files, so you can't change the settings in the process. And if you autoupdate your mods then you lose your config settings. Things that are just turning on/off features should be split into several mods for this reason.

I liked the wood farming aspect in Bio-Farm but not going to install Bio-Industries. Just adding a lot of random crap I can live without. Split the mod into several mods. All the new product that require wood can be their own mod. There are other mods that lets you run and reach faster and so on, no point in forcing it into this mod.
FalcoGer wrote:I think the rails, power poles, fence and game tweaks shouldn't be in it by default.
Fertilizer, wood production and cokery seem perfectly enough. The other stuff really just doesn't fit. Make an addon for it. There is really no need for the solar generator to be thrown in the mix, or even something like 2x pickup range or movement speed increase are something that's got nothing to do with what this mod aims to do. Changing the rail or wall recipe is similarly out of context, imo. Also what happened to treefarm-ac bioplastic? Why do I need an entirely different mod now for that to work that adds loads of stuff I don't want in my game, that completely rebalances everything, just to make some plastic?
I'd cut it back to as small a size as possible, making it modular so people can choose what they want rather than being forced on 10 features they don't need or want for every 3 that they would like to have. It's not even that. If you don't want big power poles or wooden fences, then that's fine, you just don't build them and the only adverse effect is that your menu is a little bit more cluttered. But changing vanilla recipes and stuff like speed and pickup range and such just is a big no no for me.
Also the solar farm really looks out of place with the coloration and rather wonky at it's angle while the other models fit into the design of the game.
I can't please everyone... This is my mod and I like working on it. If you don't like the stuff in the mod, you don't have to use it. There are a ton of great mods. Bob's greenhouse might work better for you.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

TheSAguy wrote:I can't please everyone... This is my mod and I like working on it. If you don't like the stuff in the mod, you don't have to use it. There are a ton of great mods. Bob's greenhouse might work better for you.
Of course not. But if you split the mod into several you don't have to. Then I can install the wood crafting part if that's the part I want. If I don't like the recipe changes to vanilla or the new items or the other modifications that are their own logical units then I can exclude them by not installing them. If I want them all I can install them all. Or if I like half the features for one save but the other half for another save it would be practical if the unrelated things were not grouped into the same package.

I'm not saying you should stop working on the parts that are not my preference. If you split the mod into several that are essentially the same together as the current one you have now then your workflow will change a bit but your userbase and creative freedowm will grow.

You can't please everyone with a mod, sure. But that is an argument for splitting the mod, not for making a monolith that contains several mods. If you take one mod that someone likes and another that the user dislikes and merge them, the mod is worse. Only for the users that like all features will it be a plus. With more, bigger and more diverse features you have in the same mod the more pronounced it will be.

Examples:
  • There are already several successful mods that extend your reach in different ways as their single feature. And reach has nothing to do with wood crafting.
  • Turrets with wood as recipe work fine wthout the wood crafting part and might be coupled with the toxic jungle mod instead of wood crafting if that is your preference.
  • Wood crafting is useful as it's own mod. Even with no new recipes to use the wod you could make a self sustaining power plant without solar with this feature alone.
  • The wood -> coal recipes fits well with the wood crafting, but this feature exists as it's own mod (well several, again!) anyways!
  • And renewable coal is useful by itself also even if you don't want endless power from it. It's a great fit for Bergius process mod which makes oil out of coal.
  • Just your rail modifications alone would be a good mod on it's own and would probably get as many installs as the current Bio-Industries compilation by itself.
I really don't see why many of your features are part of the same "mod" at all. I think you have written a great mod collection in the same source repo and have mistaken it for 1 mod because it has a single name. I'm not the only one who has noticed this. And if your mods were split under several names people who want a certain feature would more easily be able to find it and you comments would be more about how to balance features (or praise :D) instead of which features should not be part of the package. And you can still make a compilation which is essentially this if you want to.

But if you don't care then I guess I'll give up on spamming you with why it's not a good idea to merge completely unrelated mods. Bio-Farm was a great mod, I thank you for your hard work even if it was discontinued.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.x | 0.13.x] Bio-Industries 1.2.4 - (Formally Bio-Farm)

Post by Nexela »

Overall this mod has some nice concepts but a couple things have stopped me from using this mod unfortunately.

The major one being "the game tweaks and recipie changes" Those should honestly be in a seperate mod or configurable with default off.

This one isn't much of a show stopper as I can just not build/use it but the solar thing. I honestly think it is 1. Ugly, 2. has too small of a footprint

I do like the addition of the wood products as they fit the "theme" of the mod.

Just my 2 cents.

Kryzeth
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kryzeth »

Qon wrote:Only for the users that like all features will it be a plus.
I am one of those users! :D

But yeah, you make a good argument about big mods being better to keep separated, but you forget that this mod is more of a compilation mod than others. You are right in that almost everything in this mod is done separately by other mods, like long reach, big wooden power pole, wood farming/crafting, etc; but that is precisely the reason why I prefer this mod to all of those other ones.
It's much faster and easier to install just one thing, than to have a dozen little mods that only do one thing each.

This mod especially takes all the good bits of other mods and combines them into a coherent and balanced structure. So yeah, basically, what you are asking already exists (in the form of all the base mods), and then this mod exists to cater to those people (like me) who enjoy all of those mods.

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FalcoGer »

Kryzeth wrote: [...]
But yeah, you make a good argument about big mods being better to keep separated, but you forget that this mod is more of a compilation mod than others.
[...]
It's much faster and easier to install just one thing, than to have a dozen little mods that only do one thing each.
Some of the base mods are not in the repository or discontinued. So unless you want to fiddle with it by yourself you're out of luck. Then, why would you bother anymore? It's not much faster and easier anymore, just a tiny little bit faster and easier. And I think a way to pick and choose what you want outweighs the extra effort. Especially since it's a one time process. You only need to install your mods once and check for updates now and then, which is now easier than ever with a single click. With the new mod feature it's as easy as to click 3 times with the mouse and you have any one mod you want. Yes, back in the day where you would search for hours on the forums for all those mod you want to update was a pain in the rear, but luckily those days are over.
Your argument is simply not applicable anymore.

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FalcoGer »

Berkys32 wrote:*After reading previous posts reading description too*
And little suggestion - you should name your mods somehow so everyone knows its from you (like yuoki, bobs and so).
Everyone should know that those many great mods are from you just from reading mods name!
Cokery is from AC treefarm, discontinued.
The stone crusher is also from AC treefarm.
The bio reactor is from AC treefarm.
Bio dome is from Bio Farm, discontinued.
I think all the models from above came from yuoki, he really makes great sprites.

The big wooden pole, is it's own mode somewhere, I think it hasn't been updates yet, not sure I'm not following along.
The fence is it's own thing, but mixed with some other stuff as well, I think.
The pollution reduction thing, I'm also not sure about. Using air filter.
Wooden rails, I'm not sure about, again I don't want or need that.
The cheats are their own mods, there is like 20 of them already that extend the reach for different actions and/or increase walking speed.

So in short, none or at least the major part of this stuff is not his own. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort to keep it going and it deserves credit. But credit is also due to those who originally made those things. It's in the bottom part of the description.

Kryzeth
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kryzeth »

FalcoGer wrote:You only need to install your mods once and check for updates now and then, which is now easier than ever with a single click. With the new mod feature it's as easy as to click 3 times with the mouse and you have any one mod you want.
Your argument is simply not applicable anymore.
I've never used the in-game mod portal, or the update feature; I always just manually update/download from the website. It's faster, can open multiple tabs, and doesn't require a Factorio relaunch =P

I suppose that most of the buildings (minus the Treefarm AC content, which has Not been discontinued, actually, and is still in the process of updating to 0.13 here) aren't available outside of the mod. It wouldn't make much sense to have a separate mod for each individual building though; it's a thematic combination. All of the little mods are still available elsewhere.
Some stuff could use a config, I suppose. Config all the things!

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.x | 0.13.x] Bio-Industries 1.2.5 - (Formally Bio-Farm)

Post by TheSAguy »

V1.2.5 - Added a burner-mining-drill and a steel-furnace disassemble recipe. Added Compatibility with Bob's Greenhouse (If for some reason you use both :D )

Fortanono
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fortanono »

Can we have biofuels/bioplastics without Natural Evolution? I'd like to at least have a biofuel mod that doesn't have a higher difficulty level (in either enemies, such as Natural Evolution, or the tech tree, such as Bob's mods).

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.x | 0.13.x] Bio-Industries 1.2.6 - (Formally Bio-Farm)

Post by TheSAguy »

V1.2.6 - Having iron gears in the disassemble recipe caused some issues. Not sure why.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Fortanono wrote:Can we have biofuels/bioplastics without Natural Evolution? I'd like to at least have a biofuel mod that doesn't have a higher difficulty level (in either enemies, such as Natural Evolution, or the tech tree, such as Bob's mods).
I'll look into this.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.x | 0.13.x] Bio-Industries 1.2.6 - (Formally Bio-Farm)

Post by British_Petroleum »

Hi,

I'm having trouble using the fertilizer to grow grass. Should it work the same as laying concrete? I also have bobs greenhouse installed.

Edit:

Just tried disabling bob's greenhouse and it is working now. Is this something you can fix or does bob need to update his mod?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.x | 0.13.x] Bio-Industries 1.2.7

Post by TheSAguy »

V1.2.7 - Fixed that you can place fertilizer when using Bob's Greenhouse. Fixed Migration script when Recipe Tweaks is disabled. (I think). Made it that Plastics and Bio-Fuel is not dependent on NE Buildings Mod.
British_Petroleum wrote:Hi,

I'm having trouble using the fertilizer to grow grass. Should it work the same as laying concrete? I also have bobs greenhouse installed.

Edit:

Just tried disabling bob's greenhouse and it is working now. Is this something you can fix or does bob need to update his mod?
This should now work even if you have Bob's Greenhouse. Please confirm and thanks for the report.
Fortanono wrote:Can we have biofuels/bioplastics without Natural Evolution? I'd like to at least have a biofuel mod that doesn't have a higher difficulty level (in either enemies, such as Natural Evolution, or the tech tree, such as Bob's mods).
With Version 1.2.7 Plastics and Bio Fuel is no longer dependent on NE Buildings.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

TheSAguy wrote:V1.2.7 - Fixed that you can place fertilizer when using Bob's Greenhouse. Fixed Migration script when Recipe Tweaks is disabled. (I think). Made it that Plastics and Bio-Fuel is not dependent on NE Buildings Mod.
British_Petroleum wrote:

Edit:

This should now work even if you have Bob's Greenhouse. Please confirm and thanks for the report.
Thanks, fertilizer is working properly now, however now I can't plant seedlings :) Seedlings now make grass like fertilizer when bob's greenhouse is also installed. However, I can still plant trees using a seedlings blueprint i made earlier

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

British_Petroleum wrote:
TheSAguy wrote:V1.2.7 - Fixed that you can place fertilizer when using Bob's Greenhouse. Fixed Migration script when Recipe Tweaks is disabled. (I think). Made it that Plastics and Bio-Fuel is not dependent on NE Buildings Mod.
British_Petroleum wrote:

Edit:

Thanks, fertilizer is working properly now, however now I can't plant seedlings :) Seedlings now make grass like fertilizer when bob's greenhouse is also installed. However, I can still plant trees using a seedlings blueprint i made earlier
Dang-it!
Fix one thing and break two others...
V1.2.8 - Fixed that you can plant seedlings if you have Bob's. Fixed Advanced Fertilizer required recipes.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.x | 0.13.x] Bio-Industries 1.2.8

Woo nice work. Really enjoying the mod btw ! :D

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

Agreed - great mod :D Love the Bio Fuel

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Can you add sounds for the bio cannon?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [0.12.x | 0.13.x] Bio-Industries 1.3.0

Post by TheSAguy »

V1.3.0 - Tweak to Disassemble recipe. Added water so it's not a handcraft recipe. (This is a bigger pain that it's worth!)
Russian translation added. - Thanks Oceanel51.

Return to “Mods”