MOD [ 0.18.x / 1.1 ] Bio-Industries

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Merry76
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.16.x] Bio-Industries 2.1.0

Post by Merry76 »

TheSAguy wrote:
Merry76 wrote:There appears to be a problem when placing musk floor with construction bots: when they do place musk floor, it appears as not connected to the electrical network if there isnt a supply area of a pole nearby (having the pole of course will connect them to the network). Sometimes if you remove the pole afterwards, it gets disconnected, showing that they never connected their internal network at all.

Interestingly, if you place them by hand they kinda work, because the fine copper cables will get placed without fail and work if there is a pole or not. :roll:
Finally got this one fixed!
Version 2.1.2 is up!
Top! I cant seem to get the Factorio internal Mod Manager to detect it though. Does Manually patching it over the Mod Manager do anything strange with it? I am kinda new with Mod Hotfixes :-/

Officer Joe Balogna
Inserter
Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.16.x] Bio-Industries 2.1.4

Post by Officer Joe Balogna »

I just created a completely self sustaining wood farm, which produces 30.6 wood per second, which gets converted to 15.36 coal coke per second. With 15.36 coal coke per second, I can power 465 steam engines, which produces 418MW of energy! Who needs nuclear?
9d271ce044df8d8952c7a7922c0377191fd4b1048b1e56ef508919f850d3c35e.jpg
9d271ce044df8d8952c7a7922c0377191fd4b1048b1e56ef508919f850d3c35e.jpg (12.57 KiB) Viewed 9453 times

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Merry76 wrote:
TheSAguy wrote:
Merry76 wrote:There appears to be a problem when placing musk floor with construction bots: when they do place musk floor, it appears as not connected to the electrical network if there isnt a supply area of a pole nearby (having the pole of course will connect them to the network). Sometimes if you remove the pole afterwards, it gets disconnected, showing that they never connected their internal network at all.

Interestingly, if you place them by hand they kinda work, because the fine copper cables will get placed without fail and work if there is a pole or not. :roll:
Finally got this one fixed!
Version 2.1.2 is up!
Top! I cant seem to get the Factorio internal Mod Manager to detect it though. Does Manually patching it over the Mod Manager do anything strange with it? I am kinda new with Mod Hotfixes :-/
Merry,

I'm not 100% understanding you problem, but you can just manually download the mod and put it in the Mod folder.
Get it here.

Officer Joe Balogna wrote:I just created a completely self sustaining wood farm, which produces 30.6 wood per second, which gets converted to 15.36 coal coke per second. With 15.36 coal coke per second, I can power 465 steam engines, which produces 418MW of energy! Who needs nuclear?
9d271ce044df8d8952c7a7922c0377191fd4b1048b1e56ef508919f850d3c35e.jpg
Yeah, I don't think people know how OP it can be :) That's why I want to give the trees a much longer grow time, but everyone was complaining that Bob's grows much faster...
You can also not turn all the wood/coal you produce into oil and support your entire oil industry.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

>> That's why I want to give the trees a much longer grow time, but everyone was complaining that Bob's grows much faster...

if something is more complicated and slower, lots of people won't use it.
if it can be selfsustained (produces more wood than is used to feed the boilers to get enough power for growing trees), any increase of grow time would only cause increase in gigantic arrays of wood production, just like those gigantic solar fields that produce energy for free. and if it requires more power, it would barely be useful any longer. building nuclear power to power a treefarm that generates coal, why would anybody do that? (except if he has no coal for making grenades/plastic/etc; or maybe to convert coal to wood, eg someone with lots of coal and few trees when playing bobs/angels).

>> You can also not turn all the wood/coal you produce into oil and support your entire oil industry.

why not? it's only a question how to scale up the tree production. with coal liquefaction and mods like wood gasification it's no problem ...
the bottleneck for such a factory probably would be the transport, how to feed boilers with raw wood, etc, but by making charcoal, coal, tar, oil products, solid fuel, etc, it's no unsolvable problem.
I'm just preparing for a game on a really cold desert planet that has no water (only ice ore) and no plants (thus no forests, no coal, no oil, but only some stacks of wood as starting equipment for fuel, power poles and to start the treefarm) ...

i like the wooden rails and the wooden bridge. but is it on purpose that the wooden rail is rather costly, while you can double the amount of rails almost for free by making bridges (you get 2 bridge rails for only 1 wooden rail, 1 steel, and lots of "free" wood, see top of this post)?

when i read the description for wood bridges "you can't walk on bridge rails", i immediately had to think of xterminator. it would make the world so much safer for him :-)
but when i tried, i had to see that reality is different: you CAN walk on those bridges. it only depends on the floor below the bridge: when it is normal land you can walk on a bridge, and what was really meant was "when there is water below a bridge, the tiles still behave as water and the bridge doesn't allow you to walk across water".
the elevated bridge already looks as if it would be difficult to climb up and cross the track. would it be possible to change bridge rails to explicitly disallow walking on/across them? then we wouldn't have to build walls or fences along all tracks and simply could build elevated tracks (these bridges) to be protected from accidentally stepping on tracks and being run over by trains.

S_R_G
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.16.x] Bio-Industries 2.1.4

Post by S_R_G »

Hi! I liked the mod. Pictures of low quality buildings. I draw a new one. Where to get e-mail the author? I can send the source files.
Links to a Screenshot:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZCwWA ... _QT0Qe_FFI
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SxnPA ... Ra1kVVCouB
Original image:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uulbX ... UwJHJWBa9_
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UnLnQ ... 2WvDtNldkf
P.S. I don't speak English.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.16.x] Bio-Industries 2.1.5

Post by foodfactorio »

hi, just to mention i like bio industries, and am using it in a playthrough in current AngelBobYuoki game (with bio industries, and pyInd with spaceX for future) :)

i think there is a good use for each of the 3 tree farms i have tried so far, and currently use all 3 in the same game.
im not sure if you have a particular goal in mind anson, and maybe these links can help explain some more uses for the different ones, as in another thread, there were some discussions on which greenhouse is better, and i posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=185&t=57861#p344192
and with pictures and stats here in case it helps:
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=57861&start=20#p344196
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

NoahZarc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.16.x] Bio-Industries 2.1.6

Post by NoahZarc »

Bio gardens don't currently seem to be reducing pollution--I placed quite a few of them but the numeric pollution map doesn't show any reduction at all, even with dozens of farms.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.16.x] Bio-Industries 2.1.6

Post by TheSAguy »

NoahZarc wrote:Bio gardens don't currently seem to be reducing pollution--I placed quite a few of them but the numeric pollution map doesn't show any reduction at all, even with dozens of farms.
I'll test this when I have a moment, but they way it works in Factorio, is you give it a negative emissions value and then it absorbs pollution, vs. generating. As you can see from the code below, I have a negative emissions value:

Code: Select all

energy_source =
    {
      type = "electric",
      usage_priority = "secondary-input",
      emissions = -0.35 -- the "-" means it eats pollution. Absorbs about 35 PU
    },

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.16.x] Bio-Industries 2.1.8

Post by TheSAguy »

Version 2.1.8 is out.

- New Bio Farm Graphic. Thx to S_R_G
- New entity - Solar Plant/ Boiler. Graphic - S_R_G
- Normal Rail now conducts electricity. Recipe updated
- Musk Floor no longer shows the wires :)

Let me know what you guys think....

YSX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by YSX »

Got error in last version, in previous version of Bio Industries all was ok.
Poor english speaking russian translator =D

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

YSX wrote:Got error in last version, in previous version of Bio Industries all was ok.
Please give V2.1.9 a go and let me know if it fixes the issue.

YSX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by YSX »

TheSAguy wrote:
YSX wrote:Got error in last version, in previous version of Bio Industries all was ok.
Please give V2.1.9 a go and let me know if it fixes the issue.
Yep, that works. And biofarm looks so solid now! :o
Poor english speaking russian translator =D

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

YSX wrote:
Yep, that works. And biofarm looks so solid now! :o
Yip, S_R_G's great art work :)

trionicb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.16.x] Bio-Industries 2.1.9

Post by trionicb »

First time using the mod. I've searched online but I can't find out how to create algae. I've got the bioreactor but it requires algae input, and it appears to be in liquid form. Could anybody tell how to get algae?

Thanks

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

trionicb wrote:First time using the mod. I've searched online but I can't find out how to create algae. I've got the bioreactor but it requires algae input, and it appears to be in liquid form. Could anybody tell how to get algae?

Thanks
There are 3 recopies for algae. See below:

trionicb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by trionicb »

Oh my God, I feel like a complete idiot! I looked at Algae 1 and 2 and noticed they both had algae as requirements and never bothered to look at algae 3 :-)

Thanks,

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

TheSAguy wrote:Version 2.1.8 is out.
at first i loved it to power distant parts of the factory without the need to build long power lines, but then i also found some disadvantages and problems ...

- to logically connect outposts with the central parts, i still need the old power pole lines. they no longer need to have copper wires, but i need them for green and red wires, and thus i really don't save on building those long power lines just like before.
- it is much more difficult now to build long power pole lines since the old copper connections could be built by dragging power poles and later adding green and red wires at the exct same distance that copper wires were built. now power connections already exist when building power poles near tracks and thus the poles for colored wires can no longer be placed automatically at the correct distances by dragging the poles.
- when i place poles, they sometimes connect, but quite often they no longer connect (see screenshot below). with a power pole on the cursor, a connection is first shown, but when placing it, there is no copper wire drawn. if the wire is parallel to the track this makes sense since the power connection exists anyways through the rails, but it also happened for connections that are (roughly? almost? exactly?) perpendicular to the track. to connect those new poles, i had to add more poles near the tracks: sometimes, a single large power pole would work, sometimes i needed several small poles to connect the track to a first large pole a few tiles distant and then could continue the power pole line as usual. this is especially annoying when creating blueprints for tracks, crossing, outposts, stations etc, and on placing them later they sometimes have missing power connections to roboports etc.
- it requires some discipline to sometimes build assemblers, power poles, etc a few tiles away from tracks so that they do NOT automatically connect, eg when i want to have separated areas that can be toggled on/off by using power switches.
- not only a single track of rail tiles has power connections, but also track tiles that are near each other (eg parallel to other tracks, touching only diagonally, etc; see screenshot below)
- when i build a "quad-track" (4 rails with the usual 2 tile gap between each of the tracks) or a station, the map shows a very tight net of connections which almost covers the whole space (see screenshot below). this also shows that there are lots of connections between parallel or even slightly distant tracks, unnecessarily many of those connections. maybe that is also the cause why some other connections to more distant poles are no longer possible when some max number of connections (in some specific direction) exists?
- the building costs: when i don't want or need powered rails i would like to still have cheaper and easier rails, than having to build all rails with medium power poles as ingredient
- having two different kinds of rails (unpowered old rails and new powered rails) would also allow building with more options, eg building normal tracks as usual, with only some tracks being powered, enabling people to easily build separate power grids on parallel tracks, have much less graphics clutter between parallel tracks, maybe also avoid or reduce the problem of missing connections, etc.
- all old rails are not migrated to the new rails, thus requiring to tear down the entire network and build it again. this would be no problem if the new powered rails would be in addition to the old rails, but on existing maps it's difficult to see which of the tracks are now completely (without gaps) powerd and which aren't.

my wishes:
- have normal rails and separate powered rails
- only have power connections for rail tiles that are directly connected (touching), probably even only along the track (not parallel etc)
- connect only items and other rail tiles to tracks when they are touching them or maybe even need a "connector tile" (similar to a special new power pole with reach 1.5 and area 3x3) to connect rail tiles to assemblers, roboports or normal power poles.
- since different behavior of rails is sometimes a real "game changer", should those powered rails be in a separate mod from bio industries (isn't there some such mod already for powered rails and/or powered trains?), or at least there should be an option in the mod settings to turn this off (or rather on with off being the default to make it easier on existing maps; but it's probably too late for the "default:off" now) ?
- when rails have copper wires automatically, also have red and/or green wires built into them (without additional costs since blueprints already build colored wires for free)
- when rails are powered anyway, why not introduce electric engines which get their power from the rails?

the following screenshot shows some of these problems, like the massive grid with too many cross connections, and the missing connections (marked red, resulting in unconnected roboports; all roboports are marked yellow)
having marked the missing connections, i see that most/all of them have one end "in the middle" of rails, thus probably causing lots of invisible connections from a big pole in one direction and no more space to have more copper connections in the same direction to a distant pole that is built later.
powernet.PNG
powernet.PNG (25.49 KiB) Viewed 8988 times

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Anson wrote:
TheSAguy wrote:Version 2.1.8 is out.
at first i loved it to power distant parts of the factory without the need to build long power lines, but then i also found some disadvantages and problems ...
Anson,

Thanks for this feedback!
It was very helpful and I agree with you. I think I jumped the gun a little with the power rail.

In Version 2.2.1 I removed it and it's back to Bio Industries standard. Not quite vanilla, since I h have wooden rail, the Standard rail uses cement. So it's back to how it was before V 2.1.8.
All i did was remove the Power Pole entity hidden in the rail, so no changes needed by player, besides maybe building some power lines now.
Sorry for the changes guys, I know this messes up production systems slightly.

I'll work a little on the power lines and possibly add those in as it's own entity in a future update.

Version 2.2.1 adds a new building, the Terraformer. You can plant trees and change terrain in a radius around it. Let me know what you guys think of it.

Thanks.

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.16.x] Bio-Industries 2.2.1

Post by AmatorPhasma »

Hey o/

I think there is a typo in your migration script for 2.2.1

__Bio_Industries__/migrations/Bio_Industries_2.2.1.lua:30: attempt to index field 'bi-advanced-biotechnologyr' (a nil value)
bi-advanced-biotechnologyr <-

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.16.x] Bio-Industries 2.2.1

Post by TheSAguy »

AmatorPhasma wrote:Hey o/

I think there is a typo in your migration script for 2.2.1

__Bio_Industries__/migrations/Bio_Industries_2.2.1.lua:30: attempt to index field 'bi-advanced-biotechnologyr' (a nil value)
bi-advanced-biotechnologyr <-
Thanks Fixed in V2.2.2

Return to “Mods”