[MOD 0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.3.7 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.2.4 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Hexicube »

Afforess wrote:
Hexicube wrote:Just realised why my mod actually works nicely with this one, there's typos in "lib/map.lua" on the two lines for rails. They should be "straight-rail" and "curved-rail", but use underscores instead of dashes.

If it's changed, could you either add direct support by detecting my mod or check that each entity is in fact flagged as player made before adding it to the list? You might also want to add entities by type, as opposed to name, and do a scan for entities of the type during the map initializer.
Ah. I caught some similar misspelled names, but not those two. I think the reason is that I started this mod back with Factorio 0.11 and 0.12 changed a bunch of names, and those were just missed. I am going to start checking that items are not neutral forces, so that should allow your mod to continue to work.
Awesome. Could you also add something to populate the targeting table by type? I've got a feeling mod-added entities aren't considered even if they should be (logistic rails come to mind, though you probably wouldn't make a full track out of them), and it'd be great if you added less specific code for that bit just to be more mod-friendly.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Any news about fixing the over bloated save issue? thanks!

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Porter65 wrote:Any news about fixing the over bloated save issue? thanks!
Erm, did you report any issues? I don't see anything in this thread from you about it. Or are you talking about this?

That user was running a really old copy of Misanthrope ( < 0.1.6) and if they disable the mod, save their game, then enable the latest version of the mod, they should be fine. Players starting out with 0.2.0 or higher should be fine.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Oh sorry my mistake, I was not too sure if the size of my saved games were right, they are now at 26 megs uncompressed.

By the way, how difficult it is to add new enemies? Because there is this game, xenonauts, which is a XCOM in 2D with sprites files in png that would fit very well in Factorio, their nature (aliens) and how they are rendered (2D with orientations).

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Porter65 wrote:Oh sorry my mistake, I was not too sure if the size of my saved games were right, they are now at 26 megs uncompressed.

By the way, how difficult it is to add new enemies? Because there is this game, xenonauts, which is a XCOM in 2D with sprites files in png that would fit very well in Factorio, their nature (aliens) and how they are rendered (2D with orientations).
If you have a save you have a question about, upload it, and I can analyze the mod data size for your mods....

Might be worth writing a general purpose tool for. I know some mods store lots of data (YARM).

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Thanks, I would appreciate!

Here is a wetransfer link, free, no malware or virus:
http://we.tl/SRZJGXnh5C

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Misantrophe doesn't seem to work properly with peaceful mode, in particular biters seem to show a hatred for peaceful infrastructure like power poles, they still pretty much ignore polluting stuff.

I know peaceful is not really the intended use case for Misanthrope, just nice to switch between save games with and without peaceful without needing to change mods.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

BlakeMW wrote:Misantrophe doesn't seem to work properly with peaceful mode, in particular biters seem to show a hatred for peaceful infrastructure like power poles, they still pretty much ignore polluting stuff.

I know peaceful is not really the intended use case for Misanthrope, just nice to switch between save games with and without peaceful without needing to change mods.
Won't Fix: Not a bug.

CitizenJoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CitizenJoe »

Will this work with other mods that add enemies like Bob's mods, or only with the vanilla Biters?

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

CitizenJoe wrote:Will this work with other mods that add enemies like Bob's mods
Yes.

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rhamphoryncus »

I created a sandbox map with biters set to None (I wanted to test something out), placed and removed a pole, and got this crash:

Code: Select all

Error while running the event handler: __Misanthrope__/control.lua:64: attempt to index field 'character' (a nil value)

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Rhamphoryncus wrote:I created a sandbox map with biters set to None (I wanted to test something out), placed and removed a pole, and got this crash:

Code: Select all

Error while running the event handler: __Misanthrope__/control.lua:64: attempt to index field 'character' (a nil value)
Thanks. I'll be releasing an update this weekend and I'll make sure I get this fixed.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.3.0 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Afforess »

Misanthrope 0.3.0 released!

No major new content, but major changes to the biter AI under the hood. Hopefully you notice the difficulty rise a few more notches! ;)

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rhamphoryncus »

Just updated to 0.3.0 and I'm getting large pauses every 5 or 10 seconds.
Attachments
Mods.zip
(24.78 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
Misanthrope.zip
Save file, named after the mod featured in this map. :P
(8.89 MiB) Downloaded 122 times

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Rhamphoryncus wrote:Just updated to 0.3.0 and I'm getting large pauses every 5 or 10 seconds.
Fixed in Misanthrope 0.3.1

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.20+] Misanthrope 0.3.1 -- Better Biter Mechanics

Post by Afforess »

Any active Factorio players spend much time on Misanthrope 0.3+ ? I'm wondering what the experiences are with the rewritten AI. I've noticed in my current game, a previous area where I had strong defenses around a far flung oil field, I can no longer justify defending anymore. It's not that it's impossible to defend, but the resources (electricity + repair packs) to keep these defenses up in perpetuity for a now mostly drained oil field in biter territory are not worth it. I've essentially reinforced a bottleneck farther away and am letting my infrastructure in this territory go. I can't afford to defend it. I could go into more detail, but I think this picture explains all:

For a full perspective, here's my entire map: Image

Any interesting stories?

nightingale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nightingale »

Hey Afforess! I'm actually doing an LP featuring Misanthrope right now:
Nightingale Plays Factorio: Mercantilism and Misanthropy

The playthrough features Misanthrope, RSO, Bob's mods and max biter base richness, so it's pretty heavy on the biters. It's currently only on episode 4, and I won't update to Misanthrope 0.3.1 until about episode 12 or so. However, I definitely did notice an uptake in biter aggressiveness/effectiveness when I did. Since I'm not completely familiar with the AI changes, I wasn't sure if it was the update or just hitting a certain threshold in the evolution factor that did it (or a combination).

I did end up having to abandon my fortified rail idea (walled rail with Bob's sniper turrets all down the middle) because it was eating up the ammo (even with the rather OP sniper turrets). Instead I've been using turret creep to create beachheads and push the biters back. Here's what it looks like right now:

I have to say that I am definitely loving the mod, so kudos to you and the great work you've done!

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

Eesh, they were pushing me hard enough in 0.2.4!

I guess I'll upgrade today and see if I get completely wiped out :)

(I'm combining expensive science via ScienceTweaker with Gloom and all resources on small and sparse... and I started in a desert, with no water and not much iron. Lots of coal though.)

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

After I upgrade to 0.3.1, the FPS/UPS goes down a bit(3 to 15 UPS/FPS lower) for a while every 5-10 seconds. It seems the scriptupdate for Misanthrope uses a lot of time every time this happens. Not sure if this will stabilize because it needs to update all biters first or that the script for 0.3.1 needs more CPUtime in general.

Ill be downgrading to 0.2.x for now.

Edit: I just realized it might be the (now also custom?) attack location determination and path finding suddenly being called a lot more compared to 0.2.x
Ignore this

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Gammro wrote:After I upgrade to 0.3.1, the FPS/UPS goes down a bit(3 to 15 UPS/FPS lower) for a while every 5-10 seconds. It seems the scriptupdate for Misanthrope uses a lot of time every time this happens. Not sure if this will stabilize because it needs to update all biters first or that the script for 0.3.1 needs more CPUtime in general.

Ill be downgrading to 0.2.x for now.

Edit: I just realized it might be the (now also custom?) attack location determination and path finding suddenly being called a lot more compared to 0.2.x
Provide a copy of your save & mods.zip and I will take a look. In my current game, the F5 menu shows Misanthrope pretty steady at around 0.1-0.2 script update time, but that's just one particular game. I'd be happy to see if I could debug / improve it for yours.

Return to “Mods”