[MOD 0.12.12+] Research queue 1.2.6

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Eunomiac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.12+] Research queue 1.2.4

Post by Eunomiac »

Hello! I've just started using this mod, so I'm not sure if the features I'm about to "suggest" are already implemented somewhere, but here are a few (hopefully simple) things I'd love to be able to do with this mod:
  • Filter Out or Flag Researches with Prerequisites --- Currently, queuing up a research adds all of its prerequisite researches to your research queue---whether or not you're ready for them (e.g. it will add Blue Science prerequisites even if you've filtered out Blue Science researches). Moreover, there's no way to distinguish researches you can get "right now" from those that will add a half-dozen prerequisite techs to your research queue.
    • It would be glorious if you could add another filter button that excludes all researches for which you lack prerequisites. As you add researches to your queue, the main research list could update with researches that will become available once your queue has completed.
    • It would be even more glorious if there were a visual indication to distinguish "right now"-research from "needs prerequisites"-research---perhaps a green border around the former, both in text mode and icon mode.
  • Easier Access to Research Details --- This is the biggest obstacle preventing me from enjoying this mod as much as I should. Icon mode (with the Text button disabled) gives you no information about the researches; you have to recognize every one from the icon alone. This is quite difficult when playing with mods, not to mention the sheer number of researches with the inclusion of all those "needs prerequisites"-researches I mentioned above. Even Text Mode provides only the name, with no way to access details about the research without switching back to the vanilla research screen.
    • Would it be possible to bring up the vanilla research details screen for any research you right-click on?
    • Or perhaps a hover-over tooltip---even if it just lists the name and, perhaps, whether it requires prerequisite research?
  • Text Mode Should Stay Enabled --- Not sure if this is a bug, but every time I load up the research queue, I have to re-enable Text mode---it won't stay toggled on, even though my other filters do.
Great mod, thanks for all of your effort on this!

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

Eunomiac wrote:Hello! I've just started using this mod, so I'm not sure if the features I'm about to "suggest" are already implemented somewhere, but here are a few (hopefully simple) things I'd love to be able to do with this mod:
  • Filter Out or Flag Researches with Prerequisites --- Currently, queuing up a research adds all of its prerequisite researches to your research queue---whether or not you're ready for them (e.g. it will add Blue Science prerequisites even if you've filtered out Blue Science researches). Moreover, there's no way to distinguish researches you can get "right now" from those that will add a half-dozen prerequisite techs to your research queue.
    • It would be glorious if you could add another filter button that excludes all researches for which you lack prerequisites. As you add researches to your queue, the main research list could update with researches that will become available once your queue has completed.
    • It would be even more glorious if there were a visual indication to distinguish "right now"-research from "needs prerequisites"-research---perhaps a green border around the former, both in text mode and icon mode.
  • Easier Access to Research Details --- This is the biggest obstacle preventing me from enjoying this mod as much as I should. Icon mode (with the Text button disabled) gives you no information about the researches; you have to recognize every one from the icon alone. This is quite difficult when playing with mods, not to mention the sheer number of researches with the inclusion of all those "needs prerequisites"-researches I mentioned above. Even Text Mode provides only the name, with no way to access details about the research without switching back to the vanilla research screen.
    • Would it be possible to bring up the vanilla research details screen for any research you right-click on?
    • Or perhaps a hover-over tooltip---even if it just lists the name and, perhaps, whether it requires prerequisite research?
  • Text Mode Should Stay Enabled --- Not sure if this is a bug, but every time I load up the research queue, I have to re-enable Text mode---it won't stay toggled on, even though my other filters do.
Great mod, thanks for all of your effort on this!

Hi there, thank you for your post. Lets start at the bottom shall we?
  • Text mode was automatically toggled off because of the old system when there was no scroll buttons. It was then possible (with enough mods/small screen) for the filter buttons to fall out the display, making it impossible to toggle back. However, this isn't necessary any more. Will be changed in the next update.
  • Factorio doesn't allow hover text for mods as far as I know. And mouse position is write only so there isn't a way to hack it in. This is the reason text mode even exist. If I could do hover text, then I wouldn't have made text mode.
  • Factorio doesn't tell me how you clicked on something, it only tells me what element you clicked on. It also doesn't allow me to open base gui's, only gui's I create. However, I was thinking about displaying a 3rd frame that somewhat resembles the current technology screen (t) but change the start research button with a add to queue button.
  • Finally, the ordering of the research is something I'm working on now. I won't hide research that still needs prerequisites, but I'm ordering the research in tiers:
    • Tier 0: Research that doesn't have any prerequisites or has all its prerequisites researched.
    • Tier 1: Research that only has prerequisites that are tier 0.
    • Tier 2: Research that only has prerequisites in tier 0 or tier 1.
    • Etc.
    This should give you more of an indicator of how far away the research is.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

HI there,

Nice to hear about these features that will come :) Looking definitely forward to it. But before another small bug report:

When executing "/c game.local_player.force.research_all_technologies()" in creative to test out some things, I get somehow the following error:

Code: Select all

Cannot execute command. Error: [string "game.local_player.force.research_all_technolo..."]:1: Error while running the event handler: __research-queue__/functions/draw_grid.lua:78: Unknown style rq-techdata-dummy-5d-mining-drill-range-1
As the error message hints: Yes I have all 5-dims mods installed, from authomatization to vehicle ;)
Thanks for having a look at this.

Eunomiac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eunomiac »

MrDoomah wrote:Hi there, thank you for your post. Lets start at the bottom shall we? ...
And thank you for your thorough reply! I'm glad to hear it will be possible to retain Text mode (not that it's a big deal to click the button each time), and the limitations of the GUI make sense to me from seeing how GUIs are implemented in other Factorio mods I use---they're all quite spartan, icon-or-text rectangular buttons, with little variation (and no hover text).

Regardless, recognizing techs by icon alone is quite the hurdle, especially when combining Research Queue with other mods that add new technologies. Is it possible to hijack the behaviour of the Technology ('T') screen's "Research" button entirely, and have it add to the queue instead of immediately beginning the research? I don't think that would be too "invasive" for players---anyone who installs your mod likely intends to use it, after all :)

I like the sound of what you're doing with Tiers. How will you be implementing them? By separating the icons on the screen, or by using filters?

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

judos wrote:HI there,

Nice to hear about these features that will come :) Looking definitely forward to it. But before another small bug report:

When executing "/c game.local_player.force.research_all_technologies()" in creative to test out some things, I get somehow the following error:

Cannot execute command. Error: [string "game.local_player.force.research_all_technolo..."]:1: Error while running the event handler: __research-queue__/functions/draw_grid.lua:78: Unknown style rq-techdata-dummy-5d-mining-drill-range-1
As the error message hints: Yes I have all 5-dims mods installed, from authomatization to vehicle ;)
Thanks for having a look at this.
I'll take a look at this soon. Do you get the same error when you play the game normally?
Eunomiac wrote:I like the sound of what you're doing with Tiers. How will you be implementing them? By separating the icons on the screen, or by using filters?
What i have for now

goblinm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by goblinm »

Under some circumstances, the research queue window can expand to take up a large part of the screen, and if the toggle button is under the screen, apparently you can't close the window.

Is there a hotkey to close the research queue? Maybe close it if 't' or 'e' is pressed?

Dunno if this occurred because I am playing on my laptop w/ a resolution of 1600x900.

In the meantime, is there a console command that I can use to close the window?

Otherwise, whelp, guess this is my life now.

goblinm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by goblinm »

For anybody with the same issue, this console command will help:

/c gameplayer.gui.center.Q.destroy()

Also, apparently my UI scale had been set to 122%, which also was a problem- setting it to a lower setting fixed the issue.

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

Hi,

thank you for this nice mod.
Factorio doesn't tell me how you clicked on something, it only tells me what element you clicked on. It also doesn't allow me to open base gui's, only gui's I create. However, I was thinking about displaying a 3rd frame that somewhat resembles the current technology screen (t) but change the start research button with a add to queue button.
It would be a very valuable help, because I cannot either remember what icon is related to what technology. So I travel from the classic "T" menu to your mod before doing any choice... :-(

Another simple suggestion : is it possible not to open automatically your gui when all researches are finished ? Or at least make this an option that can be disabled in the config.lua ? Because each time I open my game, your research gui opens, even if I do not want to do any more research... :-)

Thanks again for your work.
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

I'm sorry for anyone awaiting an update for this mod, but I'm currently putting it on hold until at least 0.13 and maybe indefinite. That depends on what and how the new version implements the tech tree.

Personally I think the mod is fine as it is, give or take a few isolated cases (I'm sorry). Feel free to post community updates in this thread.

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

goblinm wrote:For anybody with the same issue, this console command will help:

Also, apparently my UI scale had been set to 122%, which also was a problem- setting it to a lower setting fixed the issue.
If you wish to keep playing with a bigger UI, you can reduce the displayed queue or the technology grid size in the config file.

Factorio2016
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorio2016 »

after completion of the study technology is always popping up menu with a choice of the following technology.
The option not to pop up? Only the sound?
Greatly interfere during the planning and construction of new buildings.
English is not my native language. Translator.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Factorio2016 wrote:after completion of the study technology is always popping up menu with a choice of the following technology.
The absolute very first picture in the long description tells you how to prevent this. ...

Alexs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alexs »

Could you please the GUI name "Research queue" replace with "RQ" or add an icon button?
So might a lot of space can be saved - thanks

Amadeus99
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Amadeus99 »

seronis wrote:
Factorio2016 wrote:after completion of the study technology is always popping up menu with a choice of the following technology.
The absolute very first picture in the long description tells you how to prevent this. ...
The option "Singleplayer game stops when the research is completed" is only affecting the normal research window. It is not preventing the Research Queue mod window from opening when research has completed. I am using the latest experimental version of Factorio in single player.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hello,

is it possible to change the "Research Queue" button to a single "R" ?
I find it's a bit to massive if there is also the Fat button and several others in the row.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.12+] Research queue 1.2.5

Post by MrDoomah »

By popular request I posted a new update: download/file.php?id=9852

Version 1.2.5 (12-april-2016):
Changed: The Research queue button is now shortened to RQ.
Fixed: Should no longer create errors when mods complete research in their init stage. (Pocket Bots Start)
Added: Toggle the automatic popup of the research queue screen on empty queue with console command:

/c remote.call("RQ","popup",true/false)

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Thanks a lot

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

apples41gsc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by apples41gsc »

I can't close the GUI because it's too big and I don't know how to shrink it can someone help?

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

You can close the UI with

You can also edit the UI size in the config file inside the mod folder, but this does require to to unzip and rezip the folder.

Xillian112
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xillian112 »

This mod cause lags if i queue something ...
Sorry for bad english =(

Return to “Mods”