MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.12.x] Extra Tool Belts 0.1.0

Post by MrDrummer »

Type: Mod
Name: Extra Toolbelts
Description: This mod simply adds two more tiers to the Player Toolbelt
License: Do what you want with it, though if you want to change/improve it, then I can be sure to do that :)
Version: 0.1.1
Release: 14-10-2015
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.20
Category: Convenience
Tags: inventory
Download-Url:
ExtraToolbelts_0.1.1.zip
(754 Bytes) Downloaded 7566 times
Alternative link (use above so i can see downloads)
Pictures
Long description
changelog
Downloads:
ExtraToolbelts_0.1.1.zip
(754 Bytes) Downloaded 7566 times
0.1.1 Mirror

0.1.0:
ExtraToolbelts_0.1.0.zip
(706 Bytes) Downloaded 381 times
0.1.0 Mirror

ALL feedback is greatly appreciated! - What could be improved? Is it balanced?
Last edited by MrDrummer on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:02 am, edited 10 times in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Extra Tool Belts 0.1.0

Post by ssilk »

I created you an entry in the Authors board (as requested). Sorry for overseeing you, but I think It's understandable. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

Thanks :) I hope to be producing a lot of mods in the future so it will be useful :)

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

To those who have votes in my poll, would you like me to have 3 separate versions of the mod? A mod for 4, 5 and 6 toolbelts (all listed on this page though)

Would be easier for me then having config options and the like.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

MrDrummer wrote:To those who have votes in my poll, would you like me to have 3 separate versions of the mod? A mod for 4, 5 and 6 toolbelts (all listed on this page though)

Would be easier for me then having config options and the like.
i think it's too many anyways :)

Only gonna use this mod if there's 1 extra toolbelt research up to a total of 3 rows.

Nice idea for the mod though, cheers!

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

Did you want me to make a 3 row version too then? (higher tiers obviously include the lower ones, but it saves you having an "unclean" technology tree or having to remove the research entries)

If i was able to code, i would make a script to automatically have them go up without individual entries, and you simply enter a number in a config to determine how many rows you would like, and it will generate the max research based on that. (hope that made sense)

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

MrDrummer wrote:Did you want me to make a 3 row version too then? (higher tiers obviously include the lower ones, but it saves you having an "unclean" technology tree or having to remove the research entries)
I can't say i want you to make anything. That would be incorrect. i can write my own version of such mod if i'm gonna need it. Because i honestly gotta say i'm not 100% happy with your work. For instance, this:
sloppy work
I wouldn't have 2 entries in the tech tree because this is a waste of space. Considering it only requires 1 short line of code to fix it, i don't see the problem..

Also, i'm kinda sure the research requirements you suggested are gonna seem way too cheap to me. Such superuseful research has to be expensive.

What i wanted to say is 4-5-6 rows is just uncomfortable in my opinion, not only overcomplicated, that's a lot of space on my screen, i don't want my toolbelt to be the only thing i see on the screen :)

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

I see what you are saying, thank you for your input.

As far as the double research, lets not forget that 1. First itteration of the mod 2. First week of even looking into mods was when this was released.

Perhaps you could show me how i can improve it? As far as the tech is concerned.

Do i have to relist the vanilla research for them to be considered tied and stack like expected?

And like 8 say, this is the first itteration of the mod so i cannot improve it without suggestions... What science should it require?

And i understand what you mean by the toolbelt being intrusive, i am starting to find that with just the 4, but as i made a poll people suprisingly want more, so that is fine by me.

Thank you for your input. :D

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

MrDrummer wrote:Perhaps you could show me how i can improve it? As far as the tech is concerned.
sure, why not, just add this line:
data.raw["technology"]["toolbelt"].upgrade = true
And like 8 say, this is the first itteration of the mod so i cannot improve it without suggestions...
i disagree, you dont always need suggestions on such a simple mod, i mean all you have to do is to copy-paste 1 definition of 1 technology from 1 technology.lua file... other stuff is just cosmetic. that's not too hard and doesn't require any input for it to be done well.
but as i made a poll people suprisingly want more
firstly, there was no such option as "3" in the poll to my recollection. secondly, what did you expect from the public? watch who they elect to be their leaders..
Thank you for your input
you're welcome

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

XyLe wrote:data.raw["technology"]["toolbelt"].upgrade = true
It appears by adding this (before the data:extend), it will not show the tech as being researched until all in the chain have been researched. Not sure if i am doing something wrong, but will be doing more testing.

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

Update!
Version 0.1.1:
- Changed the cost of research (it was a mistake that they were not changed to start with!)
- Added two more tiers to the research (If you don't like the extra ones, navigate to the data.lua file and remove the last tiers first)
- Made the vanilla research stack (i think it works properly)

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

MrDrummer wrote:
XyLe wrote:data.raw["technology"]["toolbelt"].upgrade = true
It appears by adding this (before the data:extend), it will not show the tech as being researched until all in the chain have been researched. Not sure if i am doing something wrong, but will be doing more testing.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you mean here:
That the researched tier 1 of toolbelt isn't on the list (as a green tile), and tier 2 of that research is available, then yes, the whole point of this is to make the tech tree more compact and not show extra information which is obvious to the player. If there's Toolbelt-2 available for research it already means that Toolbelt-1 has been researched, right?

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

Yes that was what I was on about, and I guess that makes sense... Though the vanilla research displays automation 1 as green when automation 2 is available (as a comparison). But I guess that does make sense.

EDIT: Logistics is a better example.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

I find that unreasonable in vanilla game. I don't need to see that information, that's why i also put "upgrade = true" on vanilla logistics/automation/etc research. Makes the list more compact, with all my mods it's significant. Also it's not a secret that in vanilla game some of the prerequisites are screwed up. So vanilla research tree needs fixing anyways..

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

Okay, thanks for explaining. I think the technology tree will have a makeover when v13 comes out (?)

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

I need this in my life, thanks for creating this!

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

Glad you like it :)

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

Just so everybody knows, this works with 0.12.20 without any need to update.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Is it possible to have the layout of the tool belts altered? So instead of each horizontal row having two blocks of 5, instead have two blocks of 10 - so the toolbar as such is spread over a more horizontal area?

Just a thought, might be nice to be able to spread things out, at least for me this would seem more natural rather than a large block of centrally located buttons/items.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

Pretty sure this is not something I can alter easily... I am pretty sure the tool-belt as we know it is hard-coded in terms of width/functionality other than how many rows we have. Even if I did a GUI there are still some things that i am not sure about/will not work for sure, i.e. toolbelt swapping and actually getting the GUI to save the values as you would expect.

I am certainly not the one who is able to do the above (novice Lua programmer here), though I would either make a suggestion for a mod to do this or suggest it for 0.13.

I tend to have main slots set to specific items, then leave at least 15 slots free for blueprints and any other item depending on what you are doing.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Return to “Mods”